'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Should Henry Ellenson stop shooting 3s?  (Read 7933 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: [Paint Touches] Should Henry Ellenson stop shooting 3s?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
Why?

Because he is fully capable of hitting them...and we will likely need him to hit some to go somewhere this season.  If defenses need to focus on him further from the basket, we become a very difficult team to defend.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »
Because he is fully capable of hitting them...and we will likely need him to hit some to go somewhere this season.  If defenses need to focus on him further from the basket, we become a very difficult team to defend.

Extending to the 3-point line is great, if a player can hit from there. Henry has hit 5 of his last 24 shots from 3 and, so far this season, he's proven to be fully capable of hitting about 1 out of every 4. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot 3s, but he needs to take them in the flow of the game and not just because he's sort of open and has the green light.

He's 6'10" and typically guarded by smaller players but he's shooting just 42% from the floor. He needs to take better shots. That's what will make this team very difficult to defend. What's wrong with him simply extending the D to about 15-18 feet? He's been money from the FT line extended this season.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »
No. Let it fly!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
Extending to the 3-point line is great, if a player can hit from there. Henry has hit 5 of his last 24 shots from 3 and, so far this season, he's proven to be fully capable of hitting about 1 out of every 4. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot 3s, but he needs to take them in the flow of the game and not just because he's sort of open and has the green light.

He's 6'10" and typically guarded by smaller players but he's shooting just 42% from the floor. He needs to take better shots. That's what will make this team very difficult to defend. What's wrong with him simply extending the D to about 15-18 feet? He's been money from the FT line extended this season.

I bet at the end of the year he is shooting above 30% from 3. He would need to hit 45% or better from mid range to make it a better shot. Considering the extra spacing I think he is better off extending to three range where he has more room.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
I bet at the end of the year he is shooting above 30% from 3. He would need to hit 45% or better from mid range to make it a better shot. Considering the extra spacing I think he is better off extending to three range where he has more room.

Thru the Wisco game (10 games), he was shooting 71% from mid-range/non-baseline.

I couldn't find a shot chart beyond that.

jsheim

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
Only open threes...a bigger problem is him hanging out at the three line....more often than not he needs to be near the rim...not as a back-to-the-basket post player...but as a scorer and rebounder...play the power forward position more than the guard.

if they leave him at the three line...sure, shoot.

jsheim

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
by the way....love the graphic.  mid-sized red dot at the top of the arc is interesting.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »
by the way....love the graphic.  mid-sized red dot at the top of the arc is interesting.

Good point. Perhaps he needs to fill the "Lazar role" of FT line jumpers and 3s as the trailer  ;)

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
Good point. Perhaps he needs to fill the "Lazar role" of FT line jumpers and 3s as the trailer  ;)

I know this was said in jest, but there's actually probably some validity to him being able to get on track with some rhythm 3 pointers. He's so good with the ball in his hands, though, that our chances are better of him going coast to coast than trailing the play.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »

In the end, I think we're saying pretty much the same thing...but it comes out sounding different because we have a different interpretation of what the "green light" means.

When I say a guy should have the "green light," I mean he should be able to shoot within the flow of the game...not just whenever he is open.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
He's pretty soft and has some trouble on the block.  Surprised he hasn't excelled more on the pick and roll game.  He's gonna eventually need the three if he wants to be good in college let alone NBA.  I'd let him keep shooting but say if you miss first three or four work the block more that game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
I prefer to see him work in close. He has nice moves and his percentage is much higher.

If it is late in the shot clock and he is wide open then shoot the three.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
When this team finds its offense, it will be potent. Henry will be a killer when he finds his space as seen in the chart. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:31 AM »
I know this was said in jest, but there's actually probably some validity to him being able to get on track with some rhythm 3 pointers. He's so good with the ball in his hands, though, that our chances are better of him going coast to coast than trailing the play.

Despite the smiley, my comment wasn't actually made in jest. If teams go zone against MU, Henry could bust it by knocking down FT line jumpers, a la Lazar.

Also, Henry gets a lot of rebounds so I wouldn't mind seeing him kick it to a guard, gather himself for a second and then trail the play for a potential open look from 3*. If that becomes part of the offense, defenses would need to bring a defender out to meet him near the top of the key, which would open things up for Luke down low or for a quick drive. How many times have we actually seen HE take it coast to coast?

* - I had previously stated that I don't like him taking 3s early in the shot clock, but this would be the exception.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »

YES
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »

I meant NO...NO
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
The best 3pt shooters are usually catch and shoot guys with good elevation on the shot and a high finish. Henry shoots a flat shot. I want to see him spotted at the circle and receiving a 2nd pass from a teammate.
Players win awards but teams win championships