[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 1.9 seconds left question  (Read 2403 times)

mix it up

• Walk-On
1.9 seconds left question
« on: February 22, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
With 1.9 seconds left on an inbounds play why isn't the ball thrown down the other end of the court? We could foul them? Can't argue with the results but jw....

Asking for a friend   ;)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: 1.9 seconds left question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 09:27:57 AM »
With 1.9 seconds left on an inbounds play why isn't the ball thrown down the other end of the court? We could foul them? Can't argue with the results but jw....

Asking for a friend   ;)

It's what I was expecting also. But I was expecting a W as well. One out of two isn't bad.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 09:30:18 AM »
If no one is open down low the ball should go to 1/2 or 3/4 deep. That pass should never have happened.

However that isn't fool proof. See Vander blues layup in the tournament for reference.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 09:30:24 AM »
Maybe because that was what everyone expected   Instead get the ball into a shooters hands

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:34:57 AM »
In theory, maybe, but if something horrible happens and the ball goes out of bounds with noone touching it, then Creighton gets the ball under their own hoop.  Also, if it's a long pass with multiple players going for it in the air, there's a chance the refs call a foul on MU and Creighton goes to the line.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:35:46 AM »
In theory, maybe, but if something horrible happens and the ball goes out of bounds with noone touching it, then Creighton gets the ball under their own hoop.  Also, if it's a long pass with multiple players going for it in the air, there's a chance the refs call a foul on MU and Creighton goes to the line.

When has that ever happened at Creighton?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »
Didn't know where to put this, but here seems to be the spot.

Lots of fans of Creighton don't think there was a foul on inbound. But when shown evidence did think a foul happened before the ball was inbounded..

Rules people help me out: wasn't calling a reach a benefit to Creighton rather than calling it before inbounds? IIRC, i thought the rules were that the wrap up before a ball is inbounded could be considered an intentional foul (or whatever they call it now--flagrant 1), which would be 2 shots and ball. The actual game result was better for them if that's true.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
Didn't know where to put this, but here seems to be the spot.

Lots of fans of Creighton don't think there was a foul on inbound. But when shown evidence did think a foul happened before the ball was inbounded..

Rules people help me out: wasn't calling a reach a benefit to Creighton rather than calling it before inbounds? IIRC, i thought the rules were that the wrap up before a ball is inbounded could be considered an intentional foul (or whatever they call it now--flagrant 1), which would be 2 shots and ball. The actual game result was better for them if that's true.

I believe that its possible to call a common foul before the ball is inbounded (I believe this happened at the home game against X this year).  However, time came off the clock so I that shouldn't have been the case in this scenario.  I'm unsure what exactly was called, but it was a foul no doubt.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »
I thought Nembhard and the other Creighton player guarding close the baseline (Scheierman?) seemed comfortable getting a tick-tack whistle before time ran off the clock. Nembhard’s in particular was a very clear foul.

I think Creighton has a better gripe with the Kalkbrenner-Omax call moments earlier.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:59:43 AM by TwoWords »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
When has that ever happened at Creighton?

Good one, DJO.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 11:32:19 AM »
Right when I saw the setup I thought Kolek was going to break to the basket and Oso was going to throw deep.

Here is the play:
https://twitter.com/elihershkovich/status/1628242432755105793?s=46&t=7-kuA1TgdmeQk9EGq28ovg

MU is racking up a bit of experience with the close late game situations though which is good.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 11:46:12 AM »
I think the big risk of throwing it long is it goes out of bounds untouched and then Creighton gets the ball under their basket.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 12:38:55 PM »
The way I would do it is to throw directly to someone at or beyond half court in the center of the court.

You can’t risk ball going directly OOB, you can’t risk a steal or turnover under the basket.

If the half court pass gets picked off at worst the opposing team gets a prayer from half court for a win.
I’d also tell my players if they can’t catch it to just deflect it away from the basket they would be defending

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 12:45:13 PM »
I think the big risk of throwing it long is it goes out of bounds untouched and then Creighton gets the ball under their basket.
This
No Finish Line

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 12:48:35 PM »

You can't tempt the basketball gods and give Creighton the chance to revenge the Hauser shot.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 12:51:04 PM »

I think Creighton has a better gripe with the Kalkbrenner-Omax call moments earlier.

That call was 100 percent a make up from osos terrible foul call moments before that.

The refs were bad. Make up calls are worse.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 12:52:14 PM »
The way I would do it is to throw directly to someone at or beyond half court in the center of the court.

You can’t risk ball going directly OOB, you can’t risk a steal or turnover under the basket.

If the half court pass gets picked off at worst the opposing team gets a prayer from half court for a win.
I’d also tell my players if they can’t catch it to just deflect it away from the basket they would be defending

You want everyone's momentum to be going towards marquettes hoop. That's the big thing.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »

Center court is the best spot/angle to shoot a long shot for three and if it goes over that persons hands it goes oob on the other end which was what happened with the Hauser shot.

I think the best play is get the ball to the player who is open and can shoot FTs regardless of where they are. You have to assume a foul.

If you watch the replay Nembhardt had Jones wrapped up around the waist and pulled on him as the ball was getting inbounded. It was a foul. May not get called regularly but absolutely will when foul is expected and altered the inbounds play.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:00:32 PM by BallBoy »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 04:10:43 PM »
Nembhard with the reach around.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 04:44:09 PM »
I think a pass to Kolek also would have resulted in a foul called.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 04:49:16 PM »

Yes, because MU fans have never seen that happen before with less than 2 seconds at Creighton!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »
BTW, who noticed the new out of bounds play to end the first half?

Sean as a decoy near the hashmark.  He took one step and stopped.

Gold running from the top of the key to midcourt. Kolek throws him the ball and takes off on a sprint.  Gold catches it and gives it back to Kolek going full speed above the top of the opposite key.   Kolek got a look from about 25 feet.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:26:22 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 07:24:31 PM »
Yeah, really liked that play. Too bad it didn’t fall.

feedback