[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 207182 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: 22 years ago today...
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Candidly, I'm tired of debating the Warrior issue. Let's deal with the facts:

1) We're all Warriors -- at least most of us posting here.

2) No matter how much we want to be Warriors, it is never coming back. Ever. The University won't do it. The PC police at the NCAA won't let us do it. If the University would not take millions of dollars to bring back the Warriors -- and we know how Jesuits adore money -- then it will not happen.

3) The scales are tilting to the point where there either are as many living Golden Eagle alums and students as there are Warriors. This scale will get even more and more tilted toward Golden Eagles as we Warriors continue to age and die.

4) We still love our Warriors, no matter what they're called!

Anyone who has had a meaningful experience at Marquette and uses the Warrior decision to avoid contributing is lying about their motives. At this point, the Warrior issue is a smoke screen for something else.

Jesuits love money? I didn't know that. Enlighten me.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
You obviously have never been hit up for money from the Jesuits and their institutions

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
You obviously have never been hit up for money from the Jesuits and their institutions

Got a call last night and a letter today.

Asked them when the name is changing back.  Young lady said they still hear it from alumni.  My heart filled with warmth. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »

Good lord.  You are so busy with your rants you don't understand what people are saying.

*I* don't believe that students wearning headresses are a sign that we can't move beyond native imagery.  The administration is going to use that as a reason to not bring back the name.

Stop trying to make your cultural/political points for once to actually READ what people are writing.

I read it just fine..... http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27935.msg764207#msg764207

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »
Do you know what I hate most about the name change?  That alumni use it as their go-to excuse for not financially supporting the university. 

"Yes, I got a wonderful education at Marquette that has had a profoundly positive affect on my life in many ways.  But since they are no longer the Warriors, I say 'F*ck all the students who attend now and in the future!' "

I asked the gal last night that called from MU about the nickname.  Said it still is asked.  I will be making a donation, but it chaps my ass the decision they made.  Just because one earned a solid education, doesn't mean you have to support everything the school does, either.  One way to do that is with the wallet.  That being said, I donate, but I donate to my other alma maters, too, when I didn't use to do that.  And yes, part of it is because of the decision that was made.  Not because of the PC part of it, but because a very simple solution was easily EASILY  EASILY achieved.  The fact that it wasn't to this day bothers me about the competency of the university at times.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:26 AM »
Got a call last night and a letter today.

Asked them when the name is changing back.  Young lady said they still hear it from alumni.  My heart filled with warmth.

As someone who worked at phone-a-thon (the people who call you from campus) that is one of the two most annoying responses I'd get. I'm wasn't calling on behalf of the Golden Eagles, nope just Marquette. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »
As someone who worked at phone-a-thon (the people who call you from campus) that is one of the two most annoying responses I'd get. I'm wasn't calling on behalf of the Golden Eagles, nope just Marquette.

Thank you phone caller.  I appreciate that you are calling me on behalf of Marquette.  What is the nickname that our sports teams go by that represent the university?   If we're just going to be Marquette, then drop the nickname completely.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »
Thank you phone caller.  I appreciate that you are calling me on behalf of Marquette.  What is the nickname that our sports teams go by that represent the university?   If we're just going to be Marquette, then drop the nickname completely.

What is the name on the front of the jersey? Because that's a heck of a lot more important. Personally I think not having a nickname would be extremely unique and would really emphasize the "we are Marquette" chant to us. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »

Always cool to hear when students are dismissive about alumni concerns.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2015, 08:52:12 AM »
I read it just fine..... http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27935.msg764207#msg764207

Try again. Sultan got it exactly right. I didn't explain it out in the post you linked to, but keep reading and you'll see:

I'm not saying it's right that it justifies the decision. I'm just saying that it does. I can guarantee you that every time they see that headdress they say to themselves "See, even with a different mascot they still cling to that. Changing was the right decision"

But honestly, don't see it happening. And don't know if it should. It's been over 20 years. Continually changing your brand is not good for the university. It might be time to focus on building the Golden Eagle. Love the idea of having a live Golden Eagle for games.

I also said:

I don't disagree with you. But we can't control what the administration does. We can only control our reaction to it.

I don't think us not showing up to games in native imagery will actually change things. It would be nice if it would, but I doubt it could. But I do think it's more likely than continuing to say "F you administration" over and over again. I also think it's the right thing to do because it is offensive imagery and embarrassing for my alma mater. Just shirts that say Warriors, those are great. Your avatar, not so much.

I'm not even sure if it would be wise to change the name back to Warriors. We've been the Golden Eagles for 21 years now (minus the week of the Gold debacle). It might be better to just try to build the Golden Eagle brand. I don't have a problem with our mascot but it seems enough people do, so maybe update it to a different look. Would really love having a live mascot if that's possible. Auburn does it, why can't we?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
It might be better to just try to build the Golden Eagle brand.

I think this is obviously what is going to happen at this point.  The nickname debate is over.  It is settled.  It will be Golden Eagles.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2015, 09:05:19 AM »

Always cool to hear when students are dismissive about alumni concerns.

Well if the alumni concern is stupid after all these years and make it difficult to do my job then I'd say dismissive is just fine.

You know we call the ole Hilltoppers folks to and not once did one of them say "darn it we aren't the Hilltoppers anymore!" This is purely a weird thing the middle aged people have going on.

Also I'm not a student anymore I'm an alum so my concern now would be why some other alums can't get over this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »
Well if the alumni concern is stupid after all these years and make it difficult to do my job then I'd say dismissive is just fine.

You know we call the ole Hilltoppers folks to and not once did one of them say "darn it we aren't the Hilltoppers anymore!" This is purely a weird thing the middle aged people have going on.

Also I'm not a student anymore I'm an alum so my concern now would be why some other alums can't get over this.

*You* spend your free time boxing and bagpipping and then have the audacity to call *my* opinion stupid?

Okee-dokee.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »

I don't think us not showing up to games in native imagery will actually change things.

That's my point. People are still showing up to games and following the team despite their hatred of the name change. If you object to it that strongly, boycotting the team is how you should protest.  Apparently, their love of Marquette basketball trumps that.

But those same folks are using the name change as a reason not to support the university in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with basketball.  Logically that makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering that most, if not nearly all the people who were involved in that decision are no longer actively involved in running the university.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:28:01 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »

*You* spend your free time boxing and bagpipping and then have the audacity to call *my* opinion stupid?

Okee-dokee.

Actually I spend my free time at physical therapy, the knee's kinda been shot for about a year now. But yeah pretty much. I don't see how these are related, is complaining about MU not being the warriors your sport and hobby of choice?

Someone must be grouchy pants on St Patrick's Day, can't imagine how you are when you watch Braveheart.  And in regards to boxing I'm 5'7" there's not many other sports I naturally have a shot at going professional in. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »

How very inclusive and non-judgemental of you
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
How very inclusive and non-judgemental of you

Ok I'm sorry perhaps stupid is a poor word. But I maintain that the alums that we were calling who'd work themselves into a frenzy and go on these rants all about hating the golden eagles and won't donate till it goes back were "stupid"
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
Actually I spend my free time at physical therapy, the knee's kinda been shot for about a year now. But yeah pretty much. I don't see how these are related, is complaining about MU not being the warriors your sport and hobby of choice?   

I'm making a point.  Calling people's opinions "stupid" is really a dumb way to get people to listen to you.  And again, I am hardly obsessed with this issue.  I am talking about it in a message board thread with this very subject.

Someone must be grouchy pants on St Patrick's Day, can't imagine how you are when you watch Braveheart. 

I have no idea what this has to do with St. Patrick's Day and I've never seen Braveheart so you might as well be speaking in Farsi here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
Things have gotten a little personal here....

I think something that sometimes get lost in this debate is the perspective of the current students and young alumni. I think there is this myth that every Marquette grad post 94 hates the Golden Eagle and wish they could have been the Warriors. Some of us may have liked to be Warriors (myself included), but the vast majority of us like the Golden Eagle mascot. We identify with it. We are proud to be Golden Eagles. When we hear older alumni, who we look up to, trash the mascot, it hurts. Every time an alumni calls it a furry chicken or says that we are always the Warriors and will never support the Golden Eagle, it feels like an attack on our school. It also feels like we are being put into "2nd class alumni" status. Try to imagine how defensive the older alumni get about the Warriors. The younger alumni feel that way about the Golden Eagles. Just like the pre 94 grads wouldn't like the Warrirors insulted, the recent alums don't want the Golden Eagle insulted. Is it really surprising that younger alumni react with such dismissiveness and judgement? Two of the most reoccurring topics on here are "f*ck the Golden Eagle" and "the current student section sucks."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:04:08 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »

I think something that sometimes get lost in this debate is the perspective of the current students and young alumni. I think there is this myth that every Marquette grad post 94 hates the Golden Eagle and wish they could have been the Warriors. Some of us may have liked to be Warriors (myself included), but the vast majority of us like the Golden Eagle mascot.

That's my point TAMU. We Warriors are dying or dribbling. At some point, we need to move on.

If I thought there was any way in which the Warriors could come back, I'd use my limited, limited influence to help facilitate it. But it aint gonna happen and to your point, there are thousands of Golden Eagle alums who feel about the Eagle the way we felt about the Warrior.

I love our team but our mascot is still a damn furry bird.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »

I'm making a point.  Calling people's opinions "stupid" is really a dumb way to get people to listen to you.  And again, I am hardly obsessed with this issue.  I am talking about it in a message board thread with this very subject.

I have no idea what this has to do with St. Patrick's Day and I've never seen Braveheart so you might as well be speaking in Farsi here.

Well generally the bagpipes are played on St Patrick's Day you called them stupid, I can only imagine you'd be very grouchy on that day.

I walked back on my stupid comment, but if you put up with the annoying comments that we got I'm quite certain you'd call it that to.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
Well generally the bagpipes are played on St Patrick's Day you called them stupid, I can only imagine you'd be very grouchy on that day.

I actually like the bagpipes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »

I actually like the bagpipes.

You could see where I got confused...

Okee-dokee.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
Nevermind.  My point was missed.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »

I think something that sometimes get lost in this debate is the perspective of the current students and young alumni. I think there is this myth that every Marquette grad post 94 hates the Golden Eagle and wish they could have been the Warriors. Some of us may have liked to be Warriors (myself included), but the vast majority of us like the Golden Eagle mascot. We identify with it. We are proud to be Golden Eagles. When we hear older alumni, who we look up to, trash the mascot, it hurts. Every time an alumni calls it a furry chicken or says that we are always the Warriors and will never support the Golden Eagle, it feels like an attack on our school. It also feels like we are being put into "2nd class alumni" status. Try to imagine how defensive the older alumni get about the Warriors. The younger alumni feel that way about the Golden Eagles. Just like the pre 94 grads wouldn't like the Warrirors insulted, the recent alums don't want the Golden Eagle insulted. Is it really surprising that younger alumni react with such dismissiveness and judgement? Two of the most reoccurring topics on here are "f*ck the Golden Eagle" and "the current student section sucks."

As a youngish alum, I get what you are saying but I think it's a case of everyone is wrong.  Is it right for warrior alumni or younger alumni who hate the chicken hawk to rip on it?  Nope because there are alum/students that like/identify with it.  But those alum/students who like it shouldn't be ripping on those who hate it.

Each opinion is actually valid so it should be a whatever lets cheer for the name on the front situation.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."