[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142483 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #800 on: March 12, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »
And yet, literally hours before he bolted Northwestern, he told his own Northwestern players - the ones he had spent years preaching "loyalty" to - that he wasn't going anywhere.

Look, I don't begrudge anybody improving his or her lot in life. Just don't be a liar and hypocrite. And there are lots of hypocrites in coaching when it comes to athletes having anything close to the freedom of movement that coaches have had for decades.

This is all being said in the context of Moser perhaps going from Oklahoma to DePaul. If he thinks that's a better fit for himself, cool. But if so, after basically using the coaching transfer portal for himself twice in 3 years, he damn well better never whine about any of his athletes hitting the transfer portal.
I agree that none of the coaches can be trusted with pledges of loyalty.

IMO, I do think the athletes have had "close" to the freedom of movement that coaches have. They have been free to transfer with a year to sit out. There have been plenty of transfers in my 35 years of following college hoops so it wasn't so onerous as to effectively prohibit transfers.

As for today, college players have greater freedom than coaches or other professional athletes. The script has flipped.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #801 on: March 12, 2024, 11:09:55 AM »
I agree that none of the coaches can be trusted with pledges of loyalty.

IMO, I do think the athletes have had "close" to the freedom of movement that coaches have. They have been free to transfer with a year to sit out. There have been plenty of transfers in my 35 years of following college hoops so it wasn't so onerous as to effectively prohibit transfers.

As for today, college players have greater freedom than coaches or other professional athletes. The script has flipped.

Good
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #802 on: March 12, 2024, 01:26:16 PM »

In those 35 years, no coach ever had to sit out a year before being allowed to continue his career. Sorry, but it wasn't a "close" situation at all. Athletes were punished for exercising the little bit of freedom of movement they had.

They don't have greater freedom than coaches now, they have equal freedom. Coaches can and do leave anytime to go anywhere, and the players finally have the same ... and lots of coaches whine about it incessantly.

Greater "freedom" than professional athletes? I'll give you that one, WT. The major sports leagues require a certain number of years of service before athletes become free agents, whereas college athletes now can transfer without penalty. So that's good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #803 on: March 12, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »
In those 35 years, no coach ever had to sit out a year before being allowed to continue his career. Sorry, but it wasn't a "close" situation at all. Athletes were punished for exercising the little bit of freedom of movement they had.

They don't have greater freedom than coaches now, they have equal freedom. Coaches can and do leave anytime to go anywhere, and the players finally have the same ... and lots of coaches whine about it incessantly.

Greater "freedom" than professional athletes? I'll give you that one, WT. The major sports leagues require a certain number of years of service before athletes become free agents, whereas college athletes now can transfer without penalty. So that's good.
Coaches do have clauses in their contract concerning breach of contract. What you are not taking into consideration are the schools that have not signed/pursue coaches because their buyout is too steep. With that payers, have more freedom than current coaches, which is fine by me.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #804 on: March 12, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »

We have different definitions of "close". Also, you don't acknowledge the existence of buyouts when coaches leave (or alternatively I have a wildly fanciful imagination that buyouts do exist), which creates a wider gap in our ideas of "close".

Regardless of that, your point that coaches have enjoyed a greater level of freedom is factually correct, we just differ on the perceived degree of difference. Nothing wrong with that. Different opinions are why horse tracks and sports books exist.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #805 on: March 12, 2024, 02:18:15 PM »
We have different definitions of "close". Also, you don't acknowledge the existence of buyouts when coaches leave (or alternatively I have a wildly fanciful imagination that buyouts do exist), which creates a wider gap in our ideas of "close".

Regardless of that, your point that coaches have enjoyed a greater level of freedom is factually correct, we just differ on the perceived degree of difference. Nothing wrong with that. Different opinions are why horse tracks and sports books exist.

1. Buyouts no matta.

2. Players having to sit out an entire season vs coaches who could go from their old job on a Mon to starting their new job on a Tue = not "close" to equal levels of freedom. But sure, if you feel otherwise, you're entitled to that opinion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #806 on: March 12, 2024, 02:37:51 PM »

Eyes rolled out of my head

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #807 on: March 12, 2024, 03:16:34 PM »
Eyes rolled out of my head

that happens at times during scoop johnson measuring contests

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #808 on: March 13, 2024, 07:25:25 AM »
Kenny Payne out at Louisville.

Shaka Smart is expected to take the gig

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #809 on: March 13, 2024, 07:32:18 AM »
#donedeal
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #810 on: March 13, 2024, 07:45:26 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #811 on: March 13, 2024, 08:17:56 AM »
Kenny Payne out at Louisville.

Shaka Smart is expected to take the gig
Louisville will be an interesting hire to watch. I think Payne stayed as long as he did because UofL's financial situation is not ideal. Could that play into the hire?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #812 on: March 13, 2024, 08:20:22 AM »
Louisville will be an interesting hire to watch. I think Payne stayed as long as he did because UofL's financial situation is not ideal. Could that play into the hire?
No

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #813 on: March 13, 2024, 08:20:29 AM »

As long as he did? He lasted two seasons and is still being paid a $8 million buy-out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #814 on: March 13, 2024, 08:25:44 AM »
As long as he did? He lasted two seasons and is still being paid a $8 million buy-out.
Just reading takes from the Louisville board over the past 2 years. I think it if fair to say that he should have been fired after year 1 at a school like Louisville and maybe 20-30 other programs.

• All American
« Reply #815 on: March 13, 2024, 08:28:09 AM »
Message board fans are idiots. <waves arms around>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #816 on: March 13, 2024, 08:43:28 AM »
I'm hoping Billy Donovan take the Louisville job.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #817 on: March 13, 2024, 08:46:01 AM »
I'd say Musselman at a minimum in the mix at UL. Shocked Payne lasted a 2nd year.
GO WARRIORS!

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
« Reply #818 on: March 13, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »
Buzz would’ve killed for the Louisville job during his run at Marquette, but I don’t think he’s a hot enough name anymore.  I could see Chris Beard being a prime candidate.  TJO, too.  No one stays at Iowa State.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #819 on: March 13, 2024, 09:13:00 AM »
Just reading takes from the Louisville board over the past 2 years. I think it if fair to say that he should have been fired after year 1 at a school like Louisville and maybe 20-30 other programs.

I'd say Musselman at a minimum in the mix at UL. Shocked Payne lasted a 2nd year.

Honest question,  when was the last time a coach was fired after a single season without off the court issues? Has it ever happened?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #820 on: March 13, 2024, 09:14:54 AM »
Louisville gig is no better than MU, unless you like horse racing.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

• All American
« Reply #821 on: March 13, 2024, 09:22:00 AM »

That's not really accurate.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #822 on: March 13, 2024, 09:24:30 AM »
Honest question,  when was the last time a coach was fired after a single season without off the court issues? Has it ever happened?
I don't know the answer to that.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but has there ever been as bad of a performance as Payne's first year? 4 wins at Louisville?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:53:59 AM by WhiteTrash »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #823 on: March 13, 2024, 09:29:37 AM »

Yes it is

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #824 on: March 13, 2024, 09:30:25 AM »

Frank Reich. 😝

feedback