[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142592 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #500 on: February 09, 2024, 02:58:30 PM »
If I was Moser I would take the DePaul job in one second. He likely is not retiring from OK, he is a Chicago guy and can hold them up for a big contract. If he has success he can retire there, if he fails he will have a big payday regardless.

I'm not pro or anti Moser but I don't think he moves the needle so much that there are going to be many bigger opportunities to hit the lottery than DePaul. He is probably a perfect guy for that job.

I wouldn't.  I'd use DePaul as bait to get a bigger pay day.

Obviously, Norman isn't Chicago, but it would be miserable to lose all the time and have to fight the AD for everything.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #501 on: February 09, 2024, 06:09:21 PM »
If I was Moser I would take the DePaul job in one second. He likely is not retiring from OK, he is a Chicago guy and can hold them up for a big contract. If he has success he can retire there, if he fails he will have a big payday regardless.

I'm not pro or anti Moser but I don't think he moves the needle so much that there are going to be many bigger opportunities to hit the lottery than DePaul. He is probably a perfect guy for that job.

Yea at this point he’s extremely over qualified for that job.

He’s proven both at Loyola, and now in one of the top conferences in the country, that he can bring good results.

He’s a Chicago guy that has wanted the BE for years. He’s still young and energetic and has a point to prove.
He would be a home run hire for DePaul and would turn the program around in 3-5 years imo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #502 on: February 09, 2024, 06:54:47 PM »
who on Scoop wanted Moser based on race?

It was only nolonger, who doesn’t really count I guess.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #503 on: February 09, 2024, 08:48:19 PM »
Loyola is a better job than DePaul. UIC may be a better job than DePaul. I recognize people thinking DU may be a sleeping giant due to their conference affiliation, their geographical proximity to strong high school talent, their rich basketball tradition, etc. If only they could find the right coach. If only they could get the administration to fully support. If only….

A big difference between MU and DU is the proximity of the stadium to campus. Student support at MU is awesome - being so close to the stadium is a big part of that. DU will never have a stadium close to campus and students will therefore never get behind them.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #504 on: February 09, 2024, 09:20:47 PM »

A big difference between MU and DU is the proximity of the stadium to campus. Student support at MU is awesome - being so close to the stadium is a big part of that. DU will never have a stadium close to campus and students will therefore never get behind them.

Don't other BE schools have similar problem with proximity to their arenas? Some have an on-campus place plus an arena- St. Johns, Nova, and... anybody else? Yes, Marquette but I am not counting the Al as the men's team so rarely plays there. I think MSG and the arenas for SH, Nova, UCONN (Hartford), DC's Capital One Center and possibly others are not very close (although GT students could walk to the arena). Fortunately, good metro service can get you to most arenas pretty easily, that is if you really want to go to the games.

IF DP finally gets serious about their entire program, in perhaps 4-5 years DP could have an enthusiastic student section. I don't know the percentage of townies at DP, as they are probably less likely to attend games. Note that I am not in any way suggesting DP will have a Marquette level fan base. But they could have more than the really embarrassing turnouts that we see on TV.

Both DePaul and Georgetown's student enthusiasm, or rather the lack thereof, is due primarily to umm...other factors.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #505 on: February 09, 2024, 09:21:21 PM »
Loyola is a better job than DePaul. UIC may be a better job than DePaul. I recognize people thinking DU may be a sleeping giant due to their conference affiliation, their geographical proximity to strong high school talent, their rich basketball tradition, etc. If only they could find the right coach. If only they could get the administration to fully support. If only….

The reason why DePaul students don't go to DePaul games has little to do with location.  It's because their team is dreadful.  If Marquette had a 3-20 team, would you take a 25 min walk, a 17 minute bus, or a 7 min uber to Fiserv? 

It's a 30 min red line ride from DePaul's campus to Wintrust arena, or 40 min on the brown line.  I'd argue it takes longer, but is slightly more comfortable (you're in a heated train) to actually get to.  Public transit is easy and convenient in Chicago.

Chicago and Milwaukee both offer a lot to students.  Marquette's product makes trekking to Fiserv in sub-30 degree weather worth it.  DePaul's inspires less than 1000 a game to trek in to Wintrust.   

If DePaul puts a tourney team on the floor, the students will come back.  It will take time, but they will be back.  Just think of all of the NoJo fans who swore they'd never buy season tickets again after the Wojo years, but are now filling the Fiserv up to standing room only.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #506 on: February 09, 2024, 09:26:32 PM »
Butler and X are the only schools that play all their home games on campus.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2024, 11:06:59 PM »

Nope.

DePaul is the better job.
Especially in NIL era.

You can turn any high major team around in a few seasons.

Unfortunately for Loyola fans, it will never have as high an upside as DePaul and Porter knows that.
That’s not saying Loyola isn’t a good program, but it’s the Big East

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #508 on: February 10, 2024, 06:31:17 AM »
De Paul being in the BE makes it a better program than Loyola or UIC. They have the ability to turn it around but they must hire the right coach - something they haven't done in a LONG time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #509 on: February 10, 2024, 07:30:47 AM »
DePaul needs commitment and guidance from their administration and athletic department. Think of it like neighborhoods. DePaul might be in a great neighborhood, but the house is on fire. Sure, you can go live in the house that's on fire, but if you live in a perfectly adequate house on the block in a less popular neighborhood, it might be more attractive than moving into a burning house.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #510 on: February 10, 2024, 07:59:24 AM »
I think it's possible DePaul is able to go to donors and then provide Moser with a list of resources they can procure should he, and only he, be the next coach. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #511 on: February 10, 2024, 08:05:29 AM »
The comments about DePaul in this thread really make it clear how many factors there are in developing a solid basketball program, or perhaps more accurately, resurrecting one from whatever skeletal remains that there may be. I think their biggest asset is their BE membership, and it would not surprise me if, unknown to us due to Val's tight-lipped management style, that she has had some interesting conversations with DP. While expulsion from the BE would be highly unlikely (assuming it can be done), the old cliche' "never say never" ....it may have been subtly implied. Disclaimer-Pure speculation on my part.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #512 on: February 12, 2024, 07:21:17 AM »
DePaul needs commitment and guidance from their administration and athletic department. Think of it like neighborhoods. DePaul might be in a great neighborhood, but the house is on fire. Sure, you can go live in the house that's on fire, but if you live in a perfectly adequate house on the block in a less popular neighborhood, it might be more attractive than moving into a burning house.

Exactly.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #513 on: February 12, 2024, 09:15:16 AM »
Moser to DePaul is an interesting thought. But, there is the matter of the contract he has at OK. If he wanted to leave, the contract could be bought out, but is DePaul going to pay for that? I doubt it. Plus, eve3n though Moser is from the Chicago area, that does not mean he wants to go back. Norman, OK may not be heaven, but it is as perfectly nice town and a heck of a lot easier to deal with than Chicago just in terms of traffic, weather, routine environmental stress, etc. And, OK plays in a very, very good league and will continue to do so. Not sure what DePaul could offer that would appeal to him.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #514 on: February 12, 2024, 09:23:17 AM »
I heard an interview with Pitino’s son last year where he said his dad told him to never take a job at a lower tier team within a conference no matter how good the conference is. He said to look at the ability of the program to compete within their conference. Always try to take a job at a place that can compete in conference. That’s how you keep your career moving forward.

If that is a prevalent thought in the industry, DePaul is in trouble. And it would also explain some of their past hires.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #515 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:10 AM »
Moser to DePaul is an interesting thought. But, there is the matter of the contract he has at OK. If he wanted to leave, the contract could be bought out, but is DePaul going to pay for that? I doubt it. Plus, eve3n though Moser is from the Chicago area, that does not mean he wants to go back. Norman, OK may not be heaven, but it is as perfectly nice town and a heck of a lot easier to deal with than Chicago just in terms of traffic, weather, routine environmental stress, etc. And, OK plays in a very, very good league and will continue to do so. Not sure what DePaul could offer that would appeal to him.

I don't disagree with anything that you say here, but the entire "Moser to DePaul" discussion is premised on DePaul opening the vault and spending a ton of cash: for Moser (including his buyout), for players, and for facilities. If they're not willing to spend, spend, and spend some more -- and history would suggest that they're not -- it's not going to happen. If they've decided to take that financial leap, a buyout shouldn't stop them.  I remain very skeptical.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #516 on: February 12, 2024, 09:48:14 AM »
At some point, a coaching job only appeals to assistants who cannot get a better gig or to older coaches who need to revive a career that has gone off the rails. DePaul may have reached that point. If you are a real up and coming assistant at a high level program, why would you want to put yourself in that job? Stubblefield did that after several years at Oregon, and look where it got him. Of course, he couldn't coach anyway, but that's my point. Maybe that's the level of coach DePaul can get now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #517 on: February 12, 2024, 09:54:04 AM »
Don't other BE schools have similar problem with proximity to their arenas? Some have an on-campus place plus an arena- St. Johns, Nova, and... anybody else? Yes, Marquette but I am not counting the Al as the men's team so rarely plays there. I think MSG and the arenas for SH, Nova, UCONN (Hartford), DC's Capital One Center and possibly others are not very close (although GT students could walk to the arena). Fortunately, good metro service can get you to most arenas pretty easily, that is if you really want to go to the games.

IF DP finally gets serious about their entire program, in perhaps 4-5 years DP could have an enthusiastic student section. I don't know the percentage of townies at DP, as they are probably less likely to attend games. Note that I am not in any way suggesting DP will have a Marquette level fan base. But they could have more than the really embarrassing turnouts that we see on TV.

Both DePaul and Georgetown's student enthusiasm, or rather the lack thereof, is due primarily to umm...other factors.

Actually the Rock is slightly closer to the SH Orange Campus than MU is to the FF; about 0.2 miles closer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:56:59 AM by muwarrior69 »

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #518 on: February 12, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
At some point, a coaching job only appeals to assistants who cannot get a better gig or to older coaches who need to revive a career that has gone off the rails. DePaul may have reached that point. If you are a real up and coming assistant at a high level program, why would you want to put yourself in that job? Stubblefield did that after several years at Oregon, and look where it got him. Of course, he couldn't coach anyway, but that's my point. Maybe that's the level of coach DePaul can get now.
[/quote

DePaul probably needs to find their Kevin O'Neil.]

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #519 on: February 12, 2024, 10:01:33 AM »
I heard an interview with Pitino’s son last year where he said his dad told him to never take a job at a lower tier team within a conference no matter how good the conference is. He said to look at the ability of the program to compete within their conference. Always try to take a job at a place that can compete in conference. That’s how you keep your career moving forward.

If that is a prevalent thought in the industry, DePaul is in trouble. And it would also explain some of their past hires.
Probably should have listened to his old man and passed on the Minnesota job.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #520 on: February 12, 2024, 10:07:04 AM »

So Richard ignored him when he took the Minnesota job?

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2024, 10:43:17 AM »
So Richard ignored him when he took the Minnesota job?

He actually commented on that. He said the advice came after that. Said he was still in don’t interfere mode when he took the Minnesota job.

TheStrand

• Walk-On
« Reply #522 on: February 12, 2024, 10:46:18 AM »
For what it’s worth, and that might be little, Charley Walters of The Pioneer Press recently wrote that Richard Pitino would be a candidate at Saint Louis. (I don’t know Charley Walters nor his reliability. I am just the messenger).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #523 on: February 12, 2024, 11:02:17 AM »
For what it’s worth, and that might be little, Charley Walters of The Pioneer Press recently wrote that Richard Pitino would be a candidate at Saint Louis. (I don’t know Charley Walters nor his reliability. I am just the messenger).

Is St. Louis a better gig than New Mexico?
No idea about how their resources compare, but it's a lesser conference with less fan support.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #524 on: February 12, 2024, 11:10:17 AM »
I still think DePaul best option is a guy who has a proven Head Coaching record of success, that is coming off a scandal. That scenario is one where the coach would actually take a Depaul job to get back in the game to clean up image. Gregg Marshall, Huggy Bear , Will Wade ( although it might be too late to get him)

Someone likenthat can jumpstart the program to mediocrity and build it from there .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire