[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Draft day  (Read 3731 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Draft day
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2024, 12:52:52 PM »
Common sense.  No, you can't "force" anyone to sign an extension but any team trading a 2nd rounder for him was going to extend him.

And while it was a lot of money I hardly consider it much of an overpay considering what other high-profile edge rushers are getting.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the Bears don't trade for him, they keep the 2nd rounder.  Plus they can get Sweat for less in free agency since they're not forced into extending the guy? 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2024, 12:56:07 PM »
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the Bears don't trade for him, they keep the 2nd rounder.  Plus they can get Sweat for less in free agency since they're not forced into extending the guy?

I think the thinking is that without the trade, he's not on the open market. I'm guessing the second round price tag was due to both teams being fairly certain he'd sign.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2024, 12:59:38 PM »
I think the thinking is that without the trade, he's not on the open market. I'm guessing the second round price tag was due to both teams being fairly certain he'd sign.

But how could anyone guarantee that?  If Sweat wanted to, he could have hit the market.  This worked out great for him, of course, he had the Bears by the short and curlys... since they'd have looked like fools if they traded and didn't sign him to a deal.  What I'm getting at is that the Bears overpaid twice for him.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2024, 02:08:47 PM »
But how could anyone guarantee that?  If Sweat wanted to, he could have hit the market.  This worked out great for him, of course, he had the Bears by the short and curlys... since they'd have looked like fools if they traded and didn't sign him to a deal.  What I'm getting at is that the Bears overpaid twice for him.
Speaking of the Bears; I assume Williams has told them he will not play for Chicago by now, right?

He looks pissed going up to the stage to meet Goodell and refused to talk to Odunze.  8-)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2024, 02:22:06 PM »

No, it absolutely wouldn't because the dude was not making it to free agency. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2024, 02:23:29 PM »
Crosby? That's not close.
Crosby has more career sacks (52 to 41.5), more tackles (321 to 222), more TFLs (88 to 51), more QB hits (124 to 99).
He finished 4th in DPOY last year and 6th in 2022. Sweat's never been in the top 10. He's been second-team All Pro twice. Sweat has never been first or second team.
All that, and Crosby is a year younger and has never missed a game to injury. He's a significantly better player.

Hunter? Since Sweat has been in the league, Hunter has more sacks, tackles and TFLs ... despite sitting out one of those seasons.

I'll give you Chubb and Gary. But both those guys received smaller guarantees - and in Gary's case, substantially smaller - than Sweat. As did Crosby and Hunter.
It's fine. The Bears have the money and it's not necessarily bad that they're using it. But they absolutely went over the market to keep Sweat from hitting free agency.

It's semantics and we're just quibbling with words now but I didn't say it wasn't an overpay.  I said I didn't consider it to be a drastic overpay and I still don't.  We can agree to disagree on that point. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2024, 02:25:46 PM »
If the Bears and Cubs (and MUBB, TBH) were 10% as infallible as VBMG makes them out to be they would have every Super Bowl/World Series since the day he was born.  They have never done anything wrong and are perfectly run organizations.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2024, 02:27:49 PM »

And I think this is an awful take. 

They weren't getting a comparable player at pick 40 nor were they guaranteed to be able to add an equally impactful defensive end in free agency. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2024, 02:41:59 PM »
No, it absolutely wouldn't because the dude was not making it to free agency.

Okay, so explain why he wasn't.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2024, 02:43:48 PM »
And I think this is an awful take. 

They weren't getting a comparable player at pick 40 nor were they guaranteed to be able to add an equally impactful defensive end in free agency.

You're missing the forest for the trees here, pardner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2024, 02:52:05 PM »
If the Bears and Cubs (and MUBB, TBH) were 10% as infallible as VBMG makes them out to be they would have every Super Bowl/World Series since the day he was born.  They have never done anything wrong and are perfectly run organizations.

Obviously that's not remotely what I'm saying but I'm glad to see you've remained extremely consistent in your stupidity. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2024, 03:02:04 PM »
Okay, so explain why he wasn't.

You're missing the forest for the trees here, pardner.

I'm really not.  The Commanders were absolutely going to trade Sweat.  Whichever team acquired him at the cost of a 2nd rounder was absolutely going to extend him.  If you can't accept or understand that I really don't know what else to say.  The Bears would not have been able to keep their 2nd rounder and sign Sweat

The Bears weighed that cost (draft currency and contract extension) and compared it to the defensive ends that may have made it to free agency where they'd have to bid against other teams.  Who were the potentially comparable edge rushers that fit the Bears defensive scheme in terms of style and age?  It was pretty barren so they felt the pick and the extension was worth it and based on how Sweat and the defense performed the last 9 games of the season it's hard to disagree. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2024, 03:08:48 PM »
I'm really not.  The Commanders were absolutely going to trade Sweat.  Whichever team acquired him at the cost of a 2nd rounder was absolutely going to extend him.  If you can't accept or understand that I really don't know what else to say.  The Bears would not have been able to keep their 2nd rounder and sign Sweat

The Bears weighed that cost (draft currency and contract extension) and compared it to the defensive ends that may have made it to free agency where they'd have to bid against other teams.  Who were the potentially comparable edge rushers that fit the Bears defensive scheme in terms of style and age?  It was pretty barren so they felt the pick and the extension was worth it and based on how Sweat and the defense performed the last 9 games of the season it's hard to disagree.

You do realize that teams can't unilaterally extend a players contract... right?  Sweat, after being traded was not required to sign anything.  He could have just played the remainder of his contract and walked into free agency free and clear.

You don't need to help me, I think you don't understand how contracts work.

He signed because he had leverage, and got a big pay day. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2024, 03:13:59 PM »
You do realize that teams can't unilaterally extend a players contract... right?  Sweat, after being traded was not required to sign anything.  He could have just played the remainder of his contract and walked into free agency free and clear.

I think you are underestimating how much the Bears probably talked to Sweat  or his agent before they make this trade. I am guessing they had parameters set up for a contract by the time they traded him. He signed only like 5 days after the trade.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2024, 03:19:39 PM »

If Chicago didn't get him, Atlanta was .

Reports were:"Atlanta had its sights set on Sweat, but Washington went with Chicago's offer," ESPN wrote. "That left the Falcons without much-needed pass-rush help. And my understanding is Atlanta was willing to extend Sweat's contract as part of the deal and that Sweat wanted to go to Atlanta, where he has family. All of that fell through."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2024, 03:23:29 PM »
I think you are underestimating how much the Bears probably talked to Sweat  or his agent before they make this trade. I am guessing they had parameters set up for a contract by the time they traded him. He signed only like 5 days after the trade.

No, I don't doubt that at all.  I fully understand that.  That's half my point.

If Chicago didn't get him, Atlanta was .

Reports were:"Atlanta had its sights set on Sweat, but Washington went with Chicago's offer," ESPN wrote. "That left the Falcons without much-needed pass-rush help. And my understanding is Atlanta was willing to extend Sweat's contract as part of the deal and that Sweat wanted to go to Atlanta, where he has family. All of that fell through."

This is what I was looking for, thanks.  Amazing that VBMG didn't just say this from the jump.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2024, 03:42:12 PM »
Some people ask “if a team at #1 knows who they’re picking, why do they wait so long into the 10 minute time allotment to make the pick?”. Obvious answer of course is that’s what the league wants so their tv partners can get the story of the draft going. Was interesting in Poles phone call to Caleb, hearing Poles tell him “league is making us wait until at least the 5 minute mark to turn the pick in”.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2024, 03:43:29 PM »
Some people ask “if a team at #1 knows who they’re picking, why do they wait so long into the 10 minute time allotment to make the pick?”. Obvious answer of course is that’s what the league wants so their tv partners can get the story of the draft going. Was interesting in Poles phone call to Caleb, hearing Poles tell him “league is making us wait until at least the 5 minute mark to turn the pick in”.

You could see when the cameras were on him that he wanted the process moved along.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2024, 06:06:59 PM »
PART 2!!!!!

What does your team need?   How much money does a DUI cost T'Vondre Sweat?   Would you want your team to take a flyer on him at some point?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2024, 06:10:42 PM »
PART 2!!!!!

What does your team need?   How much money does a DUI cost T'Vondre Sweat?   Would you want your team to take a flyer on him at some point?

I would be surprised if Sweat is picked tonight. Between the DUI, previous reports of off-field issues and his weight, I think a lot of teams are going to take a pass on a guy who's essentially a niche player.
And of course, now he'll probably go in the first 10 picks tonight.

My team (the Rrrrrrrraaaaaiiideerrrrs) desperately need an OT or CB. Understand why they passed on one last night when Bowers fell to them, but tonight they've got to fill some needs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:12:16 PM by Pakuni »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2024, 06:23:11 PM »
PART 2!!!!!

Packers need a kicker
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2024, 06:24:15 PM »
Packers need a kicker
Can they get one out of the portal?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2024, 06:25:33 PM »
Can they get one out of the portal?

I’d take a kicking donkey over the clown they have
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2024, 06:45:34 PM »
PART 2!!!!!

Titans.   Wow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2024, 06:46:14 PM »

I would be surprised if Sweat is picked tonight. Between the DUI, previous reports of off-field issues and his weight, I think a lot of teams are going to take a pass on a guy who's essentially a niche player.
And of course, now he'll probably go in the first 10 picks tonight.

My team (the Rrrrrrrraaaaaiiideerrrrs) desperately need an OT or CB. Understand why they passed on one last night when Bowers fell to them, but tonight they've got to fill some needs.

Welp!

feedback