[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Still a 6 Seed  (Read 8407 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Still a 6 Seed
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 06:29:46 PM »
The only thing that's safe to say is it's too early to know about either gentleman's coaching ability yet.

I guess we differ in our opinions.  I don't know if Gard can recruit, Wojo can, but Gard can definitely coach.  He is even winning while giving decent minutes to 4 freshmen, a junior who only averaged 6 minutes a game during his soph year and a former walk-on while we use excuses about how inexperienced our team is.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »
I guess we differ in our opinions.  I don't know if Gard can recruit, Wojo can, but Gard can definitely coach.  He is even winning while giving decent minutes to 4 freshmen, a junior who only averaged 6 minutes a game during his soph year and a former walk-on while we use excuses about how inexperienced our team is.

Again, he returned two starters from a team that went to back to back final fours. They were criminally underachieving at the start of the year.

Think this way: everyone here (except Brewcity) thought that UW was going to handle us this year. That's because UW was a top 25 team and because we were a fringe bubble team.

The only thing that Gard's success shows is that Bo had mailed it in this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
Recruiting State of WI gets a lot easier for Gard and a lot harder for Wojo, if UW makes NCAA tourney and MU does not.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
Recruiting State of WI gets a lot easier for Gard and a lot harder for Wojo, if UW makes NCAA tourney and MU does not.

Just like the last two years, right? This is such a clueless post its funny, but not surprising considering the source.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »

You can make an argument that Gard/Bo's network of coaches around the state can make things difficult for Wojo, but this year's tournament is pretty much irrelevant.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

"A lot" harder?  No.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
Again, he returned two starters from a team that went to back to back final fours. They were criminally underachieving at the start of the year.

Think this way: everyone here (except Brewcity) thought that UW was going to handle us this year. That's because UW was a top 25 team and because we were a fringe bubble team.

The only thing that Gard's success shows is that Bo had mailed it in this year.

Oh come on, lets not kid ourselves.  That was a great Badger team the last two years but they lost 2 NBA 1st round players(Dekker and Kaminsky), one who was the Naismith National Player of the Year,  Travon Jackson, Gasser and Dukan.  That was A LOT of experience that graduated or left early.  They only have 3 players on their roster that saw any significant minutes and play Brown a junior who had played significantly less minutes than Wilson or Cohen.  Plus 4 freshmen.  Meanwhile we are using the excuse of our lackluster underachieving year on inexperience.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »
Just like the last two years, right? This is such a clueless post its funny, but not surprising considering the source.
Wojo was the new kid on the block and that creates excitement especially in relation to old Bo. He was able to sell his dream for MU before reality set in with a 13-19 season followed by another season that is likely not to produce an NCAA bid. Potential recruits want to play in the NCAA tournament. Gard getting there is a plus and Wojo not getting there is a minus. I will be rooting for Illinois to beat UW in the next game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Single season results have so little bearing on recruiting. It's amusing how little it ends up mattering. We went the the tourney year after year, S16/S16/E8 and where was the 5-star recruit? Waiting for the unproven coach and joining us coming off two straight tourney misses.

Sustained success matters, but what happens in March won't get Joey Hauser to make up his mind on the spot or Tyler Herro to give a commit. The recruiter matters a lot more than the name on the jersey or the results of the last season.

I'm not really worried much about recruiting with Wojo at the helm. He retained Sandy and the two most important players from the 2013 class, he brought in a banner 2015 class, and is continuing to land high-level recruits like Bailey and Hauser. It remains to be seen if he can translate talent into wins and we'll know a lot more when these young guys turn into upperclassmen, but unless John Calipari is headed to Madison, I'm not worried in the least about recruiting against them.

Wojo will continue to bring in more highly regarded classes than the Badgers. But whether he can match or exceed their results on the court will be of far greater import.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback