collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The spirit of the Olympics  (Read 36111 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: The spirit of the Olympics
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Speaking of Cody Miller, being interviewed on NBCSN right now.

Edit, he's only 5'11" has asthma and has some sort of defect with his chest. Pretty damn impressive.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:53:35 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »
I completely agree. I think you rotate the olympics every four years between 4 sites, siphon off revenues from each of those that fund the building of an olympics in a developing nation every 5th olympics.

I also think you hold the winter Olympics where they have, ya know, winter. Winter cities should be totally different than summer cities, but you would still have the same strategy.

So I would do something like this:
Summer venues: Beijing, Paris, LA, Sydney, Developing location (Africa or SA based probably)..repeat

Winter venues: Calgary, Innsbruck, Lillehammer, Tokyo, Rotating location(US, Russia, one of the Stans, etc.)..repeat

I used Toyko, because they're hosting 2020 already, but same thought. Paris/London whichever would be more successful long term. Africa has yet to have an Olympics and I don't think that'll change anytime soon.

For Winter Olympics, I wouldn't introduce a new city. Locations are pretty tight as it is. Two European, two North American (Vancouver & Salt Lake), and an Asian location.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
I completely agree. I think you rotate the olympics every four years between 4 sites, siphon off revenues from each of those that fund the building of an olympics in a developing nation every 5th olympics.

I also think you hold the winter Olympics where they have, ya know, winter. Winter cities should be totally different than summer cities, but you would still have the same strategy.

So I would do something like this:
Summer venues: Beijing, Paris, LA, Sydney, Developing location (Africa or SA based probably)..repeat

Winter venues: Calgary, Innsbruck, Lillehammer, Tokyo, Rotating location(US, Russia, one of the Stans, etc.)..repeat

What?!?  No Lake Placid?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
I'm assuming those ratings don't include ratings for streaming?

Exactly. The ratings are pretty meaningless then.

Kinda like some groups that do polls for politics where they only call landlines. You risk leaving out an entire demographic.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
I think he was super excited to set an American record.  I was initially kind of puzzled cause he was more excited than Peaty who smashed everyone, but that made more sense when they announced he did that.

Ultimately, every athlete is competing against themselves. The American swimmer was elated because he swam his best race ever on swimming's biggest stage.

In that particular race, no one had any chance whatsoever for the gold except for one guy. If they re-swam the race 100 times, he would win 99 for sure and probably #100 as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
I agree with the sentiment that Rio has just brought out into the open just how expensive it is to host the Olympics.   I agree that the solution is to have a few venues that rotate for both summer and winter games.   I was just having the same conversation at work yesterday.  I would like one venue in each of Europe, Asia and the US.    Tokyo is ideal for Asia, as it can host both the summer and winter games.    Use the same Olympic village for each.    I would be OK if Calgary was the venue for the 'US'.     But Salt Lake and Lake Placid are good choices, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
I agree with the sentiment that Rio has just brought out into the open just how expensive it is to host the Olympics.   I agree that the solution is to have a few venues that rotate for both summer and winter games.   I was just having the same conversation at work yesterday.  I would like one venue in each of Europe, Asia and the US.    Tokyo is ideal for Asia, as it can host both the summer and winter games.    Use the same Olympic village for each.    I would be OK if Calgary was the venue for the 'US'.     But Salt Lake and Lake Placid are good choices, too.

When you think about it, every Olympics has a legacy... some good, some bad, some neutral.

Barcelona had the Dream Team.
L.A. almost put Krusty Burger out of business.
Atlanta had the garbage can bomb.
Sarajevo was the first in a communist country.
Sochi was an unfinished boondoggle (close second was Costas' pink eye).
Louganis cracked his head open in Seoul.
Sydney had Phelps' Ocho.

But when you consider the four instances where NA has hosted a Winter Olympics, certainly four of the most significant (and positive) legacies:

Lake Placid had the Miracle on Ice.
Calgary had the Jamaican bobsledders.
Salt Lake City was the debut of the X-sports.
Vancouver was the coming of age party for the Russian Women's Curling Team.

In short... more North American Winter Olympics, please.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »

Moscow, 1980.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
Moscow, 1980.

Sorry... first Winter Olympics.  Even still, I think that's more significant than being Scott Hamilton's only Olympic gold.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:04:37 PM by Benny B »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
As for Olympic spirit ...

It would be difficult to find a more cynical Olympic observer than I am. And yet I thought the U.S. swimmer who very excitedly celebrated getting a bronze medal in the breaststroke last night (Cody Miller) was genuine and kind of cool. A certain presidential candidate would have lambasted him for being a "loser," but Miller set an American record, he gave every ounce of effort he had, he won a medal and he was deservedly thrilled.

This.  I remember over the last two days stories on two other American swimmers.

One was the woman who this is her first and only Olympics before she starts her career, Maya DiRado.  She's decided she's enjoyed competitive swimming, and is excited to take this one shot at the Olympics, but then she's going to focus on her career and other "life" things.  (Obviously it helps she has a job offer at McKinsey).  She won the Silver medal on Saturday and I remember her post-race interview being just glad she had the opportunity and excited to win Silver.

Then the other was Dana Vollmer.  She took Bronze last night and her post-race interview she was just so excited to win Bronze and share the pool with the other Olympic swimmers.

It was really refreshing to see these individuals just excited to go out and compete and not be distraught by not winning it all.  I don't fault anyone for being disappointed in not winning Gold, but its just nice to see these people just excited for the whole thing (and it doesn't hurt that they are bringing home some hardware)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
This.  I remember over the last two days stories on two other American swimmers.

One was the woman who this is her first and only Olympics before she starts her career, Maya DiRado.  She's decided she's enjoyed competitive swimming, and is excited to take this one shot at the Olympics, but then she's going to focus on her career and other "life" things.  (Obviously it helps she has a job offer at McKinsey).  She won the Silver medal on Saturday and I remember her post-race interview being just glad she had the opportunity and excited to win Silver.

Then the other was Dana Vollmer.  She took Bronze last night and her post-race interview she was just so excited to win Bronze and share the pool with the other Olympic swimmers.

It was really refreshing to see these individuals just excited to go out and compete and not be distraught by not winning it all.  I don't fault anyone for being disappointed in not winning Gold, but its just nice to see these people just excited for the whole thing (and it doesn't hurt that they are bringing home some hardware)

Partially tough in cheek......this is how you end up with millenials
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
Compared to many countries, we are less jingoistic. But we are jingoistic, and our media is SOOO over the top sometimes that it almost makes me root against US athletes and teams.

Our media is completely ridiculous, and this NBC crew has been terrible.  Two notes I'd like to point out from the opening ceremony.

- The amount of times Matt Lauer referred to Giselle as "Brazil's most famous export" as if she was some commodity that is sold.  He must have said it at least 5 times
- When the parade of nations was going on, the NBC crew were giving little snippets about each team/nation.  Obviously had more to say about certain countries depending on size, good stories, etc.  But the country that came out right before the US, they said that they didn't want to overshadow them because of who's coming up next.  That they deserve their minute of attention, etc.  But then they never talked about the nation at all.  They said all that stuff in the front, then went into talking about the US.  Now I was glad to see the US come out (except that one exceptionally bro-y dude that was next to Phelps) and enjoyed listening to the commentary on the team, but I was kind of embarrassed the way they treated that other country (I can't even remember which one it was) after they said they were going to give them attention.  Then on the other side, they couldn't stop talking about the US and must have skipped the next six countries.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Brent Musberger talking about a hot chick in the crowd at a football game = END OF THE WORLD! SEXIST! FIRE HIM!

Chicks from the Today Show going gaga over the shirtless Tonga representative = ?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »
When you think about it, every Olympics has a legacy... some good, some bad, some neutral.

Sydney had Phelps' Ocho.

But when you consider the four instances where NA has hosted a Winter Olympics, certainly four of the most significant (and positive) legacies:

Phelps's 8 golds was Beijing, and snowboarding debuted in Nagano, but most importantly, we have very different memories of Vancouver.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
Phelps's 8 golds was Beijing, and snowboarding debuted in Nagano, but most importantly, we have very different memories of Vancouver.

Sydney effing Crosby

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »
Tara Lipinski is hot. That is all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Speaking of Cody Miller, being interviewed on NBCSN right now.

Edit, he's only 5'11" has asthma and has some sort of defect with his chest. Pretty damn impressive.

See, I guess it might be just me, but I don't care about most of this stuff. Not just about Miller, but any of it. The little "profiles of courage" they do between events bores me to tears. And I'm not watching the Olympics at 9 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon because I simply don't care enough. We'll see if the ratings say I'm an outlier or I'm typical.

Tonight, my wife and I will sit down to watch some TV after dinner. She will have worked a long day and will have maybe 2 hours of TV time before she needs to get some sleep. We have Ray Donovan, The Night Of and John Oliver on the DVR, and I'm guessing we both will agree to watch one of the dramas and Oliver. That might leave a half-hour of Olympics.

What I should do is record the evening starting at 7 and then just zip through all the crud to the actual competition. I think I'll go set the DVR as soon as I hit "post" on this!

In the end, I don't care to hear about Cody Miller's asthma any more than I cared to hear constantly about Otule's eye.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
In the end, I don't care to hear about Cody Miller's asthma any more than I cared to hear constantly about Otule's eye.

You, sir, are clearly an unfeeling, cold-hearted monster.

brandx

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
See, I guess it might be just me, but I don't care about most of this stuff. Not just about Miller, but any of it. The little "profiles of courage" they do between events bores me to tears.

Nothing on television irks me more than the piano mood music playing in the background during these "profiles of courage".

The Olympics are packaged for women - we just try to find the real sports moments when we can.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 06:54:39 PM »
See, I guess it might be just me, but I don't care about most of this stuff. Not just about Miller, but any of it. The little "profiles of courage" they do between events bores me to tears. And I'm not watching the Olympics at 9 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon because I simply don't care enough. We'll see if the ratings say I'm an outlier or I'm typical.

Tonight, my wife and I will sit down to watch some TV after dinner. She will have worked a long day and will have maybe 2 hours of TV time before she needs to get some sleep. We have Ray Donovan, The Night Of and John Oliver on the DVR, and I'm guessing we both will agree to watch one of the dramas and Oliver. That might leave a half-hour of Olympics.

What I should do is record the evening starting at 7 and then just zip through all the crud to the actual competition. I think I'll go set the DVR as soon as I hit "post" on this!

Cody miller's asthma vs MR. and Ms. MU82's  nightly tv watching schedule. Tough call.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »

Beijing, Sydney... Tomato, tomahto.

And yes, Vancouver was definitely the pull the goalie to tie OT final.  But a big part of making your case is knowing your audience, however... and Scoopers ain't exactly a hockey crowd.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
The best part of the opening ceremony was seeing a young man from Bolivia burst into tears as he walked into the arena.  He has no chance of winning a medal; he was just happy to be there. 

I have always thought that was the best way to go to the Olympics; to not be the least bit competitive.  Even better, have your event on the third or fourth day of the Games, so you can participate in the opening ceremonies, compete soon afterwards, and then party for the following week and a half.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »

Sydney had Phelps' Ocho.

All that and you forgot Eddy the Eagle?  Wtf, man?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
Kerri Walsh is pretty unbelievable (although April Ross was the better player tonight). Absolutely disposed of the Chinese team in the second set 21-9. For those who don't follow volleyball, that is an absolutely ridiculous score line for beach volleyball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
The best part of the opening ceremony was seeing a young man from Bolivia burst into tears as he walked into the arena.  He has no chance of winning a medal; he was just happy to be there. 

I have always thought that was the best way to go to the Olympics; to not be the least bit competitive.  Even better, have your event on the third or fourth day of the Games, so you can participate in the opening ceremonies, compete soon afterwards, and then party for the following week and a half.

I disagree, maybe not in every sport but I watched a top seeded Irish boxer Paddy Barnes completely get shocked in his opening fight and it was because there was a certain underdog mentality from a young Spanish boxer facing a Gold medal favorite plus I saw a guy from Azerbaijan knock out a guy from france. The France guy was in tears that he couldn't finish the fight but good for that Azerbaijan guy who isn't getting star struck by the big nations but instead is competing his heart out to win it. 

All that being said who doesn't love this speech

“It doesn't matter tomorrow if they come in first or fiftieth. Those guys have earned the right to walk into that stadium and wave their nation's flag. That's the single greatest honor an athlete can ever have. That's what the Olympics are all about.”
Cool Runnings (1993) – Irwin Blitzer (John Candy)
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback