collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jason Collins  (Read 34426 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jason Collins
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I gotta tell you, I really hate how cynical the world has become sometimes.  It used to be that people who broke barriers had to face real hatred before finally being lauded as heroes.  Now they face cynicism.  Who cares what his motives were?  Who cares if he is a marginal player?  Being an openly gay player in professional sports is pretty damn close to groundbreaking considering the comments that were made by that 49ers player just last year.  Collins should be celebrated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
The answer is, if the price is right anybody/everybody would do it.  I would say the same applies for me.  Pay me my price and I'm sure I will SAY I'm gay to collect some bucks.

The problem is their is no way to "prove" you're gay (I should say no way is going to "force" you to "show" that your gay).  Just saying it is good enough.

This was a real debating point in the recent gay marriage debate.  Can business partners "marry" as a tax dodge?  Would they do it?  Again, if the price is right sure.  How do they prove they are gay?

My 94 year old grandmother has a more modern view of sexuality than you seem to have.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
The answer is, if the price is right anybody/everybody would do it.  I would say the same applies for me.  Pay me my price and I'm sure I will SAY I'm gay to collect some bucks.

The problem is their is no way to "prove" you're gay (I should say no way is going to "force" you to "show" that your gay).  Just saying it is good enough.

This was a real debating point in the recent gay marriage debate.  Can business partners "marry" as a tax dodge?  Would they do it?  Again, if the price is right sure.  How do they prove they are gay?

The price is 1/60 of your lifetime earnings (at 34 years old).

Would you do it?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:57:07 PM by Guns n Ammo »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
The answer is, if the price is right anybody/everybody would do it.  I would say the same applies for me.  Pay me my price and I'm sure I will SAY I'm gay to collect some bucks.

The problem is their is no way to "prove" you're gay (I should say no way is going to "force" you to "show" that your gay).  Just saying it is good enough.

This was a real debating point in the recent gay marriage debate.  Can business partners "marry" as a tax dodge?  Would they do it?  Again, if the price is right sure.  How do they prove they are gay?

They can right now if they are a man and a woman.  Or don't you think that a man and a woman can be business partners?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
Even better ... so if no one signs him the entire league is homophobic.  Now the Wizards will come under tremendous pressure to pay an unproductive player.

There seems to be at least some doubt amongst GMs he'll play next year:

Said one veteran general manager: "I don't think he was going to be in the league next season no matter what. I don't think [sexual orientation] is the issue. I think 'Can he still play?' is the issue."

"The chances are slim," another team executive said. "Only because of skill."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57404/will-jason-collins-be-in-nba-next-season

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
One of my Chicago buddies thinks his number should be retired across the league in all sports like Jackie R.

To which I said.  YOU. CRAZY.

I commend Mr. Collins, but this is not the same.  It isn't even in the same time zone IMO. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »
Good for him. Its not for a paycheck at all if you still believe that read the SI article that was written. I cant believe that thats even your first thought about this issue that hes only doing it for a paycheck. Thats sickening to me.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »
  a) if he's like most NBA players, then he's...

b) if he's like most marginal professional professional athletes, the he's...

In truth, you don't know this person at all.  Really, just listen to yourself.

Neither do you.  You just prefer your made facts about him over minr.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
No matter what one's views on homosexuality are, I think everyone can agree that Jason Collins is much manlier than Derrick Rose.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Anyone who thinks Jason Collins' life just got easier is nuts. Will he make some money? Probably. Will he become a hero/role model to some? Undoubtedly. But on the other the side of the equation, millions will consider his sexual orientation a "choice" that's an abomination in the eyes of God. His life just got much more complicated and difficult but because of his courage it will get easier and easier for athletes going forward. Major kudos.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »
I don't know why anyone cares. Can't say I ever really heard of the guy before today, and he doesnt really mean any more to me today than he did yesteday. I also think it is perfectly reasonable to assume that he did it much more for his post-basketball career than his basketball career. Safe to say that post-basketball career become a far more lucrative and high profile one than it was yesterday after a highly unspectacular NBA career.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
When I heard this news, I thought: "Wow, what a courageous thing to do. He finally got tired of having to live a secret life, and he is the first to have the courage to make a very difficult public statement."

Good thing I could come here to Scoop and read from a few open-minded folks that the only reason Collins did this was for the money and for future opportunities.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
When I heard this news, I thought: "Wow, what a courageous thing to do. He finally got tired of having to live a secret life, and he is the first to have the courage to make a very difficult public statement."

Good thing I could come here to Scoop and read from a few open-minded folks that the only reason Collins did this was for the money and for future opportunities.

I don't know what you are reading, but I don't think a few people said that.  I think you might want to re-read.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
Anyone who thinks Jason Collins' life just got easier is nuts. Will he make some money? Probably. Will he become a hero/role model to some? Undoubtedly. But on the other the side of the equation, millions will consider his sexual orientation a "choice" that's an abomination in the eyes of God. His life just got much more complicated and difficult but because of his courage it will get easier and easier for athletes going forward. Major kudos.

For the record, I have several LGBT folks on my team.  First thing that came up today in our staff meeting is what is all the fuss about.  Maybe it's just because of the industry we are in, but being LGBT is absolutely no big deal.  Part of the conversation today was if life will get easier, which is why I noticed your post.  In their viewpoint, it will get easier.  No longer living a lie, sense of relief, etc, etc.  There were some very funny lines that I couldn't fully appreciate since I am not gay, but the improved sex life was mentioned over and over again.  We were all having a good chuckle at it.  It's funny, I think back and I've been working with open LGBT co-workers for at least 12 years if not longer.  Its not even something we think about.  It only comes up when we go out as a team and someone comments on the attractiveness of another person or if they bring their significant other to an event. 

So I think it actually does matter based on your POV.  This announcement in Los Angeles in our industry is a yawner.  This same announcement in Tuscaloosa might be seen much differently.  Geography, religious affiliations, political traditions of the area, etc, etc all factor into this.  So, in fact, life actually can be "easier" or with broader opportunities in some places or industries.  In other parts of this country, things could be much more inhospitable, or certain industries.

I think it really depends on a lot of circumstances and not necessarily fair to say anyone who thinks life will get easier is crazy.  I literally heard those words from some of my LGBT co-workers the exact opposite based on their own experiences.  To each their own, but I value my co-workers opinions very much on this based on what each of them went through over the years.   

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
+1

I've seen it all the time, marginal employees claim they are some protected class or minority and sue or imply discrimination.  Certainly this idea has reached New Jersey Golden.

Let's not mistake Jason Collins with Jackie Robinson.  Let's wait until a major superstar comes out of the closet.  Not guys at the end of the their career or marginal players.

Frankly I could care less about this issue, they are paid to do a job so shut up and do it.

Many grammar and syntax errors so not totally sure of your ramblings and don't have time now to write much.

However, with regard to the bolded, what are your thoughts on Robbie Rogers?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »

+1000

If you read the article, you'll actually read about why he was compelled to come out.

I'll give you a hint: It's not for the money.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
I don't know what you are reading, but I don't think a few people said that.  I think you might want to re-read.

Well, I was reading a string of ridiculous douchebaggery by AnotherMU84. To a much lesser extent, there was some wild conjecture about Collins' motives from NavinRJohnson.

I suggest you re-read those comments.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
Well, I was reading a string of ridiculous douchebaggery by AnotherMU84. To a much lesser extent, there was some wild conjecture about Collins' motives from NavinRJohnson.

I suggest you re-read those comments.

Few....three or more.  Couple = 2.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »
+1000

If you read the article, you'll actually read about why he was compelled to come out.

I'll give you a hint: It's not for the money.

Which article....the Deadspin one was all opinion of the author some I'm not sure which one you mean.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
when I first heard about it I thought, "so what?"  Now that it's being debated and second-guessed I think, "so what?".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »
For the record, I have several LGBT folks on my team.  First thing that came up today in our staff meeting is what is all the fuss about.  Maybe it's just because of the industry we are in, but being LGBT is absolutely no big deal.  Part of the conversation today was if life will get easier, which is why I noticed your post.  In their viewpoint, it will get easier.  No longer living a lie, sense of relief, etc, etc.  There were some very funny lines that I couldn't fully appreciate since I am not gay, but the improved sex life was mentioned over and over again.  We were all having a good chuckle at it.  It's funny, I think back and I've been working with open LGBT co-workers for at least 12 years if not longer.  Its not even something we think about.  It only comes up when we go out as a team and someone comments on the attractiveness of another person or if they bring their significant other to an event. 

So I think it actually does matter based on your POV.  This announcement in Los Angeles in our industry is a yawner.  This same announcement in Tuscaloosa might be seen much differently.  Geography, religious affiliations, political traditions of the area, etc, etc all factor into this.  So, in fact, life actually can be "easier" or with broader opportunities in some places or industries.  In other parts of this country, things could be much more inhospitable, or certain industries.

I think it really depends on a lot of circumstances and not necessarily fair to say anyone who thinks life will get easier is crazy.  I literally heard those words from some of my LGBT co-workers the exact opposite based on their own experiences.  To each their own, but I value my co-workers opinions very much on this based on what each of them went through over the years.   

If this was such a big "yawn" why hasn't it happened before? Your co-workers who think his life will get easier because he'll get more sex should grow up and realize LA and the television industry isn't a microcosm of life in the USA. I'm happy for them that bigotry and hatred no longer inhabit their very small world. The one that Jason Collins competes in is a little more complicated than theirs.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »
I understand why this is news and all, but to go a little off topic, this is really blowing Collins' career rep out of proportion.  I have seen him called an "NBA Star" in several headlines.  Wow.  In what world is a guy that averages 4 and 4 considered a star.  Yikes. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
If this was such a big "yawn" why hasn't it happened before? Your co-workers who think his life will get easier because he'll get more sex should grow up and realize LA and the television industry isn't a microcosm of life in the USA. I'm happy for them that bigotry and hatred no longer inhabit their very small world. The one that Jason Collins competes in is a little more complicated than theirs.

That's why I said it depends on a lot of circumstances like geography, industry, etc, but to just blanketly say someone is crazy (like you did), is wrong.   

It has happened before, it just hasn't happened in the US in the big 4 sports.  But it has most certainly happened before.  Martina is one example.  That was more than 30 years ago for crying out loud....1981. 

From some of the comments I heard today, the "yawn" factor seems to be based on the reality of the situation.  As one young man said, this is everywhere in society and in sports, what's the big deal.  As he also said, are we supposed to believe there aren't LGBT players on the LPGA tour?  How about women's softball?  Men's figure skating?  Gymnastics?  How about the NFL?  MLB?  NHL?  Etc,etc.  Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.   Human beings like anyone else.  That was his response on the yawn factor anyway. 

Yes, the world can be a bigoted place, but let's also not make this out to be Jackie Robinson scenario either which some are wanting to do.  That belittles what Jackie Robinson and people of color had to go through, which is not on the same planet in comparison.  I applaud this young man for coming out.  Brave..sure.  With some people, he will be looked at poorly, which is unfortunate.  There are people on this board that have made many disparaging remarks about gay people, so that shouldn't surprise anyone when it comes up.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
Which article....the Deadspin one was all opinion of the author some I'm not sure which one you mean.

The article itself contains and basically is an essay written by Collins.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »
If this was such a big "yawn" why hasn't it happened before?

Maybe because we way overestimate the number of LBGT people in this country and in pro sports their are only a handful?