collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: fiscal cliff  (Read 33750 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: fiscal cliff
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
In the grand scheme, you're still talking about a miniscule fraction of the population whose lives would be impacted by the implosion of professional sports.  As for college sports, I would focus more on the former, less on the latter.

If I had to guess... post-secondary education is the next bubble that we won't ever repeat; specifically, the costs and debt loads.  At some point, the gov't is simply not going to have the capacity (or desire) to continue to guarantee these loans as more students default.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-27/scariest-chart-quarter-student-debt-bubble-officially-pops-90-day-delinquency-rate-g

I think there are a lot more people directly and indirectly impacted by sports from an economic standpoint, but I don't have any way to prove it, agree to disagree I guess.

I think you might have something on the student debt being a bubble, but it is really going to depend on timing.  With the baby boomer generation starting to retire, regardless of all the new efficiencies in the workplace, there will have to be job openings for college graduates that should be sustainable for loan reduction.  But it's all about timing and I don't see colleges looking for ways to reduce cost so the amount of debt will only go up.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
I think the bubble in question is the gas industry says fracking gives a 100 yrs of gas reserves and other non-industry estimates put it at 19 yrs.  Because it's so much cheaper tahn oil right now, usage is going up quickly.  (Because electricity & oil are expensive, they are laying a ton of new gas lines here in Connecticut and the natural gas companies are switching people's boilers for free.)  Probably the truth lies somewhere in between.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
Full disclosure, I work in the industry (not directly in drilling).  Reading those two articles I could point out at least 5 errors on the first page of each.  Secondly, I am not sure what the bubble is other than people getting less from their mining rights than they initially thought.  If anything shale gas has taken the bubble out of natural gas since NYMEX prices have stabilized at (what was previously thought) unbelievably low prices just 3-4 years ago.  Natural Gas already had its bubble along with all other commodities in the financial collapse of '08.

+1  The only bubble is in the wages and rig rental rates in Midland/Odessa and Williston
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
...on to the next.

RL at $158.87 is BEGGING to be shorted this morning.   

Money time, bros. Even though I'd participate more without the OUTRAGEOUS 20% RATE.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
...on to the next.

RL at $158.87 is BEGGING to be shorted this morning.   

Money time, bros. Even though I'd participate more without the OUTRAGEOUS 20% RATE.

SKOL, RL!!!

(Not sure what either is.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
SKOL, RL!!!

(Not sure what either is.)

SKOL is what vikings chant...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RL&ql=1  That is RL... Ralph Lauren.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
I think the bubble in question is the gas industry says fracking gives a 100 yrs of gas reserves and other non-industry estimates put it at 19 yrs.  Because it's so much cheaper tahn oil right now, usage is going up quickly.  (Because electricity & oil are expensive, they are laying a ton of new gas lines here in Connecticut and the natural gas companies are switching people's boilers for free.)  Probably the truth lies somewhere in between.

I actually think we are well over the 100 year supply as most of that discussion centers only on the contiguous United States.  Not supporting one way or the other but the proposed drilling footprint in ANWR (Alaska National Wildlife Refuge) is the same footprint of the Cleveland airport.  Alaska has oodles more of gas and oil.  In terms of natural gas the U.S. is the King Kong of the world.

To me the real worry in terms of increasing prices for natural gas are 3-4 years down the road when more exportation terminals are scheduled to be approved/online to liquify the natural gas and begin exporting in far greater quantities around the world.  Making it a global commodity just like oil, whereas in the US it is currently landlocked.  Prices in US are currently in the $3.25/MMBtu range whereas the Asian countries the prices are well above $10/MMBtu creating a very large arbitrage opportunity if you can export that product.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »
SKOL is what vikings chant...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RL&ql=1  That is RL... Ralph Lauren.

I knew Skol was related to the vikings because of Jay-Bee. At least it is not as annoying as that damn horn they blow off seemingly every other play. I imagine shoving that horn someplace where a viking doesn't see sunlight

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
I actually think we are well over the 100 year supply as most of that discussion centers only on the contiguous United States.  Not supporting one way or the other but the proposed drilling footprint in ANWR (Alaska National Wildlife Refuge) is the same footprint of the Cleveland airport.  Alaska has oodles more of gas and oil.  In terms of natural gas the U.S. is the King Kong of the world.

To me the real worry in terms of increasing prices for natural gas are 3-4 years down the road when more exportation terminals are scheduled to be approved/online to liquify the natural gas and begin exporting in far greater quantities around the world.  Making it a global commodity just like oil, whereas in the US it is currently landlocked.  Prices in US are currently in the $3.25/MMBtu range whereas the Asian countries the prices are well above $10/MMBtu creating a very large arbitrage opportunity if you can export that product.

Sounds like the biggest problem then is if & when we start exporting.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
I knew Skol was related to the vikings because of Jay-Bee. At least it is not as annoying as that damn horn they blow off seemingly every other play. I imagine shoving that horn someplace where a viking doesn't see sunlight

thankfully they only seem to blow it on 1st downs and turnovers/scoring plays which really isn't that often the last few years  ;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
Sounds like the biggest problem then is if & when we start exporting.

As an economics major, I don't really see any problem with exporting.  Need to find the right supply/demand balance.  And even prices rising to $5/6/MMBtu are not killers, the market had been at that level all through the early-mid 2000's before running up as the commodity bubble grew.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
DECK up 4.30% to $39.55 this morning. Get at your boy.

DECK   47.35   1.57%

church

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Decent day, but nothing spectacular. Trying to decide what to do with my largest holding.. DECK. Hate owning any stock at the moment, but had to jump in on it last month at ~$30 with that lovely balance sheet.

DECK   47.35   1.57%

church

Good lawd. $68.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
toot toot.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
Quote from: Jay Bee

DECK   47.35   1.57%

church

Good lawd. $68.

Nov 25 close... 81.64 +1.72 (2.15%)

Get at me, you jive turkeys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
You still on that train or profit taking about to commence?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
That is an amazing return.  Please tell me about your investments that didn't work out. :)

You kind of sound like my friend who only tells his friends about the bets he wins on.  ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
That is an amazing return.  Please tell me about your investments that didn't work out. :)

You kind of sound like my friend who only tells his friends about the bets he wins on.  ;D

Hmm.. if you look closer, I've only brought up a handful of stocks here. When I brought up DECK, it was sitting in the 30's.

You can ignore the facts. I realize your type hates Wall Street and "greed".

Chicos - It's overdone now. There are several interesting plays out there still, though.

I think I stated in a post several weeks ago that I was short WFM. Let me look... ah yes, October 7th.

If anyone is nervous and wants to short something for the upcoming weeks, WFM asking $59.45 in after hours; looks ripe for a tumble. Stock has gotten out ahead of itself.

It's at $56.12 now. Down only 5.6%. Of course over that same period of time when I recommended the WFM short, the NASDAQ (where it trades) has been up 6.0%.

WFM should still fall, but I wouldn't recommend either of these two at the moment.

I have continued to play with ARO from time to time. Put in an $8.09 limit order on 11/8. It's now at $10.21. A quick 26%.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

brandx

« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »

Kinda like the year I won $250,000 at the dog track. I usually don't mention that I placed about $235,000 in bets - doesn't sound nearly as impressive when it's only $15,000. At least it was tax free.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
Hmm.. if you look closer, I've only brought up a handful of stocks here. When I brought up DECK, it was sitting in the 30's.

You can ignore the facts. I realize your type hates Wall Street and "greed".

Chicos - It's overdone now. There are several interesting plays out there still, though.

I think I stated in a post several weeks ago that I was short WFM. Let me look... ah yes, October 7th.

It's at $56.12 now. Down only 5.6%. Of course over that same period of time when I recommended the WFM short, the NASDAQ (where it trades) has been up 6.0%.

WFM should still fall, but I wouldn't recommend either of these two at the moment.

I have continued to play with ARO from time to time. Put in an $8.09 limit order on 11/8. It's now at $10.21. A quick 26%.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Actually I have no problem with you doing we'll in the market.  I wish I had the stones to make the stock picks I want, but something always comes up.  New house, vacation, etc.  thanks for lumping me in with a group though.  classy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2013, 07:39:03 AM »
Actually I have no problem with you doing we'll in the market.  I wish I had the stones to make the stock picks I want, but something always comes up.  New house, vacation, etc.  thanks for lumping me in with a group though.  classy.

You don't invest in equities because you take vacations instead of investing? That's cool if it works for you. Living check to check or extending your finances seems like a risky proposition to me, but lots do it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »
You don't invest in equities because you take vacations instead of investing? That's cool if it works for you. Living check to check or extending your finances seems like a risky proposition to me, but lots do it.

hards, bro, what BeeJay is sayin is he needs $10 grand.  He'll invest it for you.  Then he'll show up at your cabin in the north woods with his hot, neck scarf wearin wife and creepy red-headed twin girls.  Wackiness will ensue.

Remember, on BeeJay's wedding night, he was in the can when he heard you tell his old lady's dad that that BeeJay is one crooked son of a bitch.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

I have plenty of money invested.  It just seems like you play the market, and I choose to invest in more conservative things.  I assure you, I don't live check to check... not by a long shot.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
hards, bro, what BeeJay is sayin is he needs $10 grand.  He'll invest it for you.  Then he'll show up at your cabin in the north woods with his hot, neck scarf wearin wife and creepy red-headed twin girls.  Wackiness will ensue.

Remember, on BeeJay's wedding night, he was in the can when he heard you tell his old lady's dad that that BeeJay is one crooked son of a bitch.

Just make sure that when he asks you to eat the Old 96er, he's talking about a steak.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback