collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bieleima to Arkansas  (Read 30839 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bieleima to Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
Are you comparing a coach who recruited and landed Wade and who chose to stay at Marquette 3 full years to a grad student that transferred for one year to a school that needed a QB (because he was denied the ability to play baseball for the Colorado Rockies farm system at his old school NC State)?

I fail to see any comparison at all.

Recruited vs non-recruited
3 years vs 1 year
Already graduated and was a "free agent" for any major program needing a QB
Etc,etc

What "comparison?"  They were both recruited within the rules of the NCAA.  UW was smart to bring in Wilson.  MU was smart to stick with Wade.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
After all the jokes are spit out, I'm figurin' UW's next coach will be a high profile hire. Admit it or not, it's big time college football in a great environment and conference with great fan support. Someone isn't going to have resusitate the entire program either.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Would love to have been present for the conversation between Bieliema and Alvarez...and would love to know Alvarez's mindset at present...his hand selected successor bails on him.  All those father/son type walks around campus they apparently had....not enough to keep Bret in Madison...to leave for a tough gig in Arkansas where he has no real ties.  I'd be surprised if he is still coach in Arkansas in 5 years.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
Bieliema's buyout was only $1 million. Really can't believe Alvarez had it that low, major f up on his part.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »
Would love to have been present for the conversation between Bieliema and Alvarez...and would love to know Alvarez's mindset at present...his hand selected successor bails on him.  All those father/son type walks around campus they apparently had....not enough to keep Bret in Madison...to leave for a tough gig in Arkansas where he has no real ties.  I'd be surprised if he is still coach in Arkansas in 5 years.

Barry:  goddamnit bret, if you don't win this rose bowl I'm gonna have to fire your bloated ass.

Bret:  don't worry, I'm taking the Arkansas job so you don't have to can your hand picked protege.

Barry:  I knew that $1 million buyout was a good move.

Bo:  his buyout is a mill and you won't pay me more than $800k?  At least I have my state pension

---star wipe and we're.....out.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
Best line I read - Bielema moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas will raise the IQ of both states...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »
i think this is a smart take by Bielema.

He will always be Alvarez's little pupil in Madison - and the undertone even in the national media (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/67150/loss-of-bielema-a-b1g-bitter-pill-to-swallow) was that the fanbase, for as passionate and loyal as it is in the scheme of college football - never really warmed up to him.  If he only got lukewarm reception after three straight Rose Bowls, it was obviously never really going to get better. He was a couple bad years from being really unpopular really fast - even for CFB. His job security was always going to be tied to Alvarez as the AD in an unnatural way. The fact that his buyout was so low, well, maybe that means more than just a screw up by Barry or an oversight. If Bielema didnt feel his relationship with Barry was literally perfect, it spelled big trouble for him.

At Ark, he gets a bump in pay and a guaranteed 6 years. Plus, if he falls on his face, I think it will be easier for him to find another reasonably good job quickly - 1) Ark is in the SEC, so while losing is unacceptable at those schools, its much more forgiven and contextualized when you get canned and look outside the conference for a job and 2) he basically has to rebuild that program, so if it doesn't happen, its not necessarily on him.

So looking at it that way, Bielema gives himself a ton more $$ and security in terms of years than he might have felt he had in Madison. If he lost for a couple years and the fanbase turned quickly and his own mentor cans him? Thats a much worse job hunt than what he'd face after Arkansas.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »

What "comparison?"  They were both recruited within the rules of the NCAA.  UW was smart to bring in Wilson.  MU was smart to stick with Wade.

Agree, UW-madison would be silly not to take him.  I'm merely responding to the foolish comparison by someone here.  In one instance a kid was recruited, sat out for a year, paid his dues and played for two seasons, going to class, etc.   In the other, Wilson was effectively a free agent looking for a one year stop where he didn't have to sit a year due to transfer, only had to take a few classes to remain eligible ...UW and BB were completely the beneficiary of timing and opportunity.  He was a known product, all ACC player.  Wade was a good high school player, but only made one top 100 list. Not a proven player. The comparisons are inaccurate and dumb...on every level.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204485304576643450854720760.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 06:27:23 AM »
I could tell you stories about Bret running around Madison that would change the way you thought about him (assuming you cared for the guy).  Some of the stories are well known, but not talked about in the media around here.

UW is about to get a big helping of humble pie.  As has been stated here by other posters, The guy coming in will have to deal with Meyer in Columbus and a rejuvenated Penn State.  Unless it is a big splash hire, the program will fall off and be competing for no better than 3rd place for a few years.

UW has an enormous football budget and borderline crazy fans who won't put up with a mediocre hire... but that is what they are going to get.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
Agree, UW-madison would be silly not to take him.  I'm merely responding to the foolish comparison by someone here.  In one instance a kid was recruited, sat out for a year, paid his dues and played for two seasons, going to class, etc.   In the other, Wilson was effectively a free agent looking for a one year stop where he didn't have to sit a year due to transfer, only had to take a few classes to remain eligible ...UW and BB were completely the beneficiary of timing and opportunity.  He was a known product, all ACC player.  Wade was a good high school player, but only made one top 100 list. Not a proven player. The comparisons are inaccurate and dumb...on every level.

What a tortured argument full of completely irrelevant points. The "only one good year because a miracle player fell into his lap" is a dumb thing to say about both coaches. Somehow for you it's okay to use for one, yet anathema to use for another. You're allowed to admit when you're wrong, you know.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »
I could tell you stories about Bret running around Madison that would change the way you thought about him (assuming you cared for the guy).  Some of the stories are well known, but not talked about in the media around here.

UW is about to get a big helping of humble pie.  As has been stated here by other posters, The guy coming in will have to deal with Meyer in Columbus and a rejuvenated Penn State.  Unless it is a big splash hire, the program will fall off and be competing for no better than 3rd place for a few years.

UW has an enormous football budget and borderline crazy fans who won't put up with a mediocre hire... but that is what they are going to get.
You got stories? Tell 'em or don't hide behind the unnamed sources defense.  A big helping of humble pie?  Did UW get a big helping of humble pie when Barry retired?  Disagree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
So looking at it that way, Bielema gives himself a ton more $$ and security in terms of years than he might have felt he had in Madison. If he lost for a couple years and the fanbase turned quickly and his own mentor cans him? Thats a much worse job hunt than what he'd face after Arkansas.

Bielema was a made man in Madison.  He wasn't going to lose his job anytime soon, even with a few rough years.  He went to a more lucrative position, but definitely not more stable.  And in some ways you have to admire a guy for leaving a comfortable position for a more challenging one.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

Bielema was a made man in Madison.  He wasn't going to lose his job anytime soon, even with a few rough years.  He went to a more lucrative position, but definitely not more stable.  And in some ways you have to admire a guy for leaving a comfortable position for a more challenging one.
Yeah, true, but the timing stinks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »
I could tell you stories about Bret running around Madison that would change the way you thought about him (assuming you cared for the guy).  Some of the stories are well known, but not talked about in the media around here.

UW is about to get a big helping of humble pie.  As has been stated here by other posters, The guy coming in will have to deal with Meyer in Columbus and a rejuvenated Penn State.  Unless it is a big splash hire, the program will fall off and be competing for no better than 3rd place for a few years.

I think most UW fans know full well where their program sits in the pantheon of the Big Ten.  Most are old enough to remember the years of obscurity in the 70s and 80s where a trip to the Garden State Bowl was treated like the rapture.  Six Rose Bowls in 20 years is really more than anyone can expect the team to accomplish given the history.

UW fans are by and large perfectly fine with Florida bowls and an occasional team that at least competes for a conference championship.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »

I think what is foolish is you bringing Wilson up in the first place.  He didn't "fall into their laps."  He was recruited.  That's what coaches do.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »
You got stories? Tell 'em or don't hide behind the unnamed sources defense.  A big helping of humble pie?  Did UW get a big helping of humble pie when Barry retired?  Disagree.

Sorry, I don't plan on posting stories from my friends on a message board simply to sate your apatite.

I think most UW fans know full well where their program sits in the pantheon of the Big Ten.  Most are old enough to remember the years of obscurity in the 70s and 80s where a trip to the Garden State Bowl was treated like the rapture.  Six Rose Bowls in 20 years is really more than anyone can expect the team to accomplish given the history.

UW fans are by and large perfectly fine with Florida bowls and an occasional team that at least competes for a conference championship.

I'm not so sure.  The Badgers have been successful for almost 20 years now... Which means that there are a lot of fans that don't remember Badger football being terrible.  Many of them expect to win, and expect to compete for B1G titles every year.  I have plenty of friends a couple of years younger than me (mid 20s) that are exactly like this.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »
Sorry, I don't plan on posting stories from my friends on a message board simply to sate your apatite.

I'm not so sure.  The Badgers have been successful for almost 20 years now... Which means that there are a lot of fans that don't remember Badger football being terrible.  Many of them expect to win, and expect to compete for B1G titles every year.  I have plenty of friends a couple of years younger than me (mid 20s) that are exactly like this.
Then stfu about it, and spend the time learning to spell.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
Then stfu about it, and spend the time learning to spell.

Looks like I hit a nerve.  Its a public message board, I don't feel like sharing specifics because I don't know if my friends are comfortable with me doing so.  Go beat off to Bret and UW somewhere else.  What are you, his personal bodyguard?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
After all the jokes are spit out, I'm figurin' UW's next coach will be a high profile hire. Admit it or not, it's big time college football in a great environment and conference with great fan support. Someone isn't going to have resusitate the entire program either.

Yes, but the UW football program is as good it will ever be. The only way to go is down. The window of a weak Big 10 with Ohio State, and Penn State on probation and on the downswing is going to quickly close. I do not think UW can recruit with the big time programs in part because of academic standards.  Sultan said it best, “ UW fans are by and large perfectly fine with Florida bowls and an occasional team that at least competes for a conference championship.” I think that is the best they can hope for. 

Therefore, I do not see a high profile coach as a replacement; they will either promote from within or get a coach or assistant from a lesser program. Maybe Bevell is on the short list.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
I'm not so sure.  The Badgers have been successful for almost 20 years now... Which means that there are a lot of fans that don't remember Badger football being terrible.  Many of them expect to win, and expect to compete for B1G titles every year.  I have plenty of friends a couple of years younger than me (mid 20s) that are exactly like this.

First off, no football program is seriously concerned about fans in their mid-20s.  Second, your friends need perspective.  UW is a mid-level B10 program that sits far from recruiting grounds for talented players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:55 AM »
Yes, but the UW football program is as good it will ever be. The only way to go is down. The window of a weak Big 10 with Ohio State, and Penn State on probation and on the downswing is going to quickly close. I do not think UW can recruit with the big time programs in part because of academic standards.  Sultan said it best, “ UW fans are by and large perfectly fine with Florida bowls and an occasional team that at least competes for a conference championship.” I think that is the best they can hope for. 

Therefore, I do not see a high profile coach as a replacement; they will either promote from within or get a coach or assistant from a lesser program. Maybe Bevell is on the short list.

They will get a good candidate.  This isn't a rebuilding situation with fans who are delusional.  UW isn't an elite program, but it's a program that is good, with fans with realistic expectations, and is generally supportive and patient with coaches. 

And UW fans should be glad that Alvarez is making this hire.  He knows what it takes to be successful at UW and in the Big Ten.  You aren't going to see a spread offense type guy.  It will be a pro-set, run emphasis, with a stout defense.  That formula has worked at UW now for 20 years.  No reason to change.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »

First off, no football program is seriously concerned about fans in their mid-20s.  Second, your friends need perspective.  UW is a mid-level B10 program that sits far from recruiting grounds for talented players.

Hey man, I agree with you and I tell them that.  They get mad and disagree with me.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
Looks like I hit a nerve.  Its a public message board, I don't feel like sharing specifics because I don't know if my friends are comfortable with me doing so.  Go beat off to Bret and UW somewhere else.  What are you, his personal bodyguard?

I'm, not a Bielema apologist.  I just think it's a cop out to say you could tell stories and then not tell 'em to make you look like some kind of connected insider.  Self-aggrandizing, prissy, pomp.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »

I'm, not a Bielema apologist.  I just think it's a cop out to say you could tell stories and then not tell 'em to make you look like some kind of connected insider.  Self-aggrandizing, prissy, pomp.

You can think that if you'd like.  I don't see how that makes me any of those things.  I'm not some connected insider.  My stories come directly from coworkers/friends from the stories.  For me to tell them would be to tell my friends that I don't care about their privacy.  Sorry, they won't go on a public forum.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »

They will get a good candidate.  This isn't a rebuilding situation with fans who are delusional.  UW isn't an elite program, but it's a program that is good, with fans with realistic expectations, and is generally supportive and patient with coaches. 

And UW fans should be glad that Alvarez is making this hire.  He knows what it takes to be successful at UW and in the Big Ten.  You aren't going to see a spread offense type guy.  It will be a pro-set, run emphasis, with a stout defense.  That formula has worked at UW now for 20 years.  No reason to change.

They will get a good candidate, no doubt. I am not sure it will be high profile, like say Les miles, Urban Meyer or someone of that ilk.

feedback