[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Petito Story  (Read 17495 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: The Petito Story
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
If you're referring to me, I never worked for the Daily Herald; and I didn't live in its delivery area, so I rarely read it. I subscribed to the Tribune and Sun Times when I lived in Chicago. I did have many friends who worked in the Herald's sports department, though, most notably Tim Sassone, Mike Imrem and Bruce Miles.

And I still think you are making way too many generalizations. There is a lot of great journalism produced by objective, talented reporters every day. And thank goodness for that.

My apologies. I really thought you did.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »

The nuance was that from the 1960s through the 1980s, there was much more of a focus on trying to be a complete source of news. Objective, clear and concise. As one of the Houston newspapers said, "Written and edited to merit your confidence.." Brother MUs own Daily Hearld had a slogan, "fear God, Tell the Truth and Make Money (not necessarily in that order.)" Kinda describes what used to be.

Too many people don't want truth anymore. There are 10s of millions of news consumers who believe that there are "alternative facts". Of course these are people that are not smart enough to even know the definition of the word 'fact', but they are a huge market clamoring for their kind of news.

Daily, I consume Breitbart, Fox, MSNBC, NYT, and others. Some look for truth and publish the truth daily - others are simply catering to what there consumers want and believe and the truth is not even a factor in what they publish.

There are still news sources that cover a wide spectrum of news and do it with honest reporting.

This all reminds me of the narrative about lawyers. Everyone wants to make fun of them....., until they need one. There are ambulance chasers and there are brilliant attorneys - as well as the full spectrum in-between. Journalism is much the same. If you want good reporting, it is easy to find. If you want hacks to reinforce what you believe, it is even easier.

Lazy, uninformed people get their news from Facebook. Wise people know where to find true journalism.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2021, 02:03:02 PM »
Well, actually, I am a Gator fan, but love the sentiment.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
Well, actually, I am a Gator fan, but love the sentiment.

Q. Why does Florida play in the Swamp?

A. Because evolution never got down that far!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »
There are still news sources that cover a wide spectrum of news and do it with honest reporting.

This all reminds me of the narrative about lawyers. Everyone wants to make fun of them....., until they need one. There are ambulance chasers and there are brilliant attorneys - as well as the full spectrum in-between. Journalism is much the same. If you want good reporting, it is easy to find. If you want hacks to reinforce what you believe, it is even easier.

Lazy, uninformed people get their news from Facebook. Wise people know where to find true journalism.

Yes. This. Of course.

I mean, let's start with the Associated Press. I think many here who are pining for the days of "real journalism" might actually find AP's work boring because it's not sensational and because its primary goal is not to "entertain" readers. (They do have columnists who provide opinions and analysis, too.) For 175 years, AP has reported the news objectively and professionally. And most news organizations, big and small, still subscribe to AP's service. In addition to the day-to-day stuff, they do investigative work, they have sportswriters in every major city, they have reporting staffs in every state capitol and every international capitol, and they have the best and biggest photo network in the world.

There are plenty of other sources for good journalism ... but for those who really want "just the facts, ma'am," AP has a free service available to the public that will send every day's top stories right to email inboxes.

That's just one example. As you said, Jockey, those who really want good reporting -- rather than those who say they do but actually like the sensational and/or partisan stuff -- can find it quite easily.

(Disclosure: I worked for AP for 18 years.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »

You are spending way too much time worried about media that is delivered via traditional formats.  Those formats have died because they are largely inconvenient and relatively expensive.  IMO there is A LOT of good media out there on the ole internet, but we are also inundated by so much junk because the barrier to entry is near zero and no one is regulating the truth.  (Which is absolutely fine BTW.)  It calls upon the reader to be skeptical and not simply consume what is put in front of them.

I saw a good comparison noting that entities that value objective reality tend to be behind a paywall, and those with who pay no mind to objective truth are not.

The truth costs money. Lies, fantasy, and fodder to confirm existing biases are free.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »

You forgot

4. No one is "screaming racism."

They are pointing out bias.

What about the bias of most of the media not covering the #1 cause of black death in our country by far?  Do their lives matter? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »
What about the bias of most of the media not covering the #1 cause of black death in our country by far?  Do their lives matter?

Heart disease?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
Heart disease?

My bad.  I mean the #1 cause ages 12-25.  No one ever talks about it and peoples lives are being shattered.  Instead, we all know what the media focuses on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »
My bad.  I mean the #1 cause ages 12-25.  No one ever talks about it and peoples lives are being shattered.  Instead, we all know what the media focuses on.

Nobody talks about homicide?
Are you literally high right now?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2021, 05:21:53 PM »

WTF media are you watching? It’s talked about all the time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2021, 05:52:43 PM »

It’s covered extensively, Muggs.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2021, 08:57:10 PM »
I for one have never, NEVER, heard anyone say anything about violent crime or homicide in Chicago. Never once.

Also, I'm confident media outlets like Breitbart and The Federalist don't have things like "Black crime" as a tag for their stories, but just to be safe I won't check so I can maintain my preconceived notion that nobody on earth is talking about this issue.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2021, 12:11:13 AM »
I for one have never, NEVER, heard anyone say anything about violent crime or homicide in Chicago. Never once.

Also, I'm confident media outlets like Breitbart and The Federalist don't have things like "Black crime" as a tag for their stories, but just to be safe I won't check so I can maintain my preconceived notion that nobody on earth is talking about this issue.

Are you kidding me?

Let me introduce you to the NBC5 news at 10. It comes on at 10:00 p.m., and the first 12 minutes are all about crime and murder in Chicago. There's a blonde middle aged, syrupy sweet anchorwoman (the Lovely Allison) paired with a late 20-something news reader (Rob Elgas). They send the lovely Natalie out into the vicious neighborhoods of Chicago wearing horned rimmed glasses to pretend she's smart. She interviews survivors who scream about gun violence, cry on the air and generally make good crime TV.

OK, I'm cynical. But the NBC5 News at 10:00 p.m., has become the local version of Dateline.

People are talking about the murders, the shootings, the crime and the assaults constantly. Kim Foxx, our local state's attorney -- love her or hate her -- is in the news  very frequently. That Smollet Dude is regularly cropping up too. To say it's not covered and not talked about is to have your head in the sand.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2021, 02:04:21 AM »
For the love of Arby's people.  Use Teal!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2021, 06:10:52 AM »
Yeah, that one was pretty obviously sarcasm.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2021, 07:23:20 AM »
Are you kidding me?

Let me introduce you to the NBC5 news at 10. It comes on at 10:00 p.m., and the first 12 minutes are all about crime and murder in Chicago. There's a blonde middle aged, syrupy sweet anchorwoman (the Lovely Allison) paired with a late 20-something news reader (Rob Elgas). They send the lovely Natalie out into the vicious neighborhoods of Chicago wearing horned rimmed glasses to pretend she's smart. She interviews survivors who scream about gun violence, cry on the air and generally make good crime TV.

OK, I'm cynical. But the NBC5 News at 10:00 p.m., has become the local version of Dateline.

People are talking about the murders, the shootings, the crime and the assaults constantly. Kim Foxx, our local state's attorney -- love her or hate her -- is in the news  very frequently. That Smollet Dude is regularly cropping up too. To say it's not covered and not talked about is to have your head in the sand.

I am SO glad that the closest I get to Chicago these days is to go to an airport.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2021, 07:27:34 AM »
You can all pretend that the general media covers this issue extensively, want solutions,  and are outraged like other things, but they aren't.   They would rather talk about a lot of other stuff that combined aren't close to the problem of homicide in our major cities.   And you all know this full well just as you know the complete incompetence of this administration which has nothing to do with the incompetence of the past administration. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:33:04 AM by MuggsyB »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2021, 07:44:56 AM »
I am SO glad that the closest I get to Chicago these days is to go to an airport.

Dgies hasn’t spent much time in Chicago either. Rob Elgas is hardly 20something nor has he been on NBC5 in over 7 years. In fact, he is mid-forties and on ABC7. Allison is pushing 60. I guess that is middle-aged for some living on the great Bob Gibson memories. Perhaps we can excuse Dgies as he is rightly delusionally high on his Cardinals current win streak versus AA and AAA call ups, and Yadi’s .253 batting average.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
You can all pretend that the general media covers this issue extensively, want solutions,  and are outraged like other things, but they aren't.   They would rather talk about a lot of other stuff that combined aren't close to the problem of homicide in our major cities.   And you all know this full well just as you know the complete incompetence of this administration which has nothing to do with the incompetence of the past administration.

That sure is a lot of "BDS," Muggs. And it's funny that you bring up "whataboutism" within a conversation in which you yourself used whataboutism.

Even though the "general media" does cover Black-on-Black crime, it probably doesn't need to. Because every time a cop unnecessarily kills a Black person, the "reverse racism is worse than real racism" crowd shouts: "Yeah ... but what about Black-on-Black crime, huh? What about it? Come on, what about it?!?!?!"

Because I guess the existence of Black-on-Black crime somehow means the death of Black people at the hands of cops is less meaningful?

In a similar vein, whenever 1/6/21 is mentioned, the knee-jerk reaction from some is: "Yeah, but what about those BLM riots?!?!?!" As if the latter had anything to do with the President of the United States inciting a deadly coup attempt against the U.S. government.

But sure, yes, Black-on-Black crime exists, and it's bad, and the media does cover it, and Black leaders are working hard to try to contain it. It's a serious problem and a difficult issue.

But yeah ... Afghanistan!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »
That sure is a lot of "BDS," Muggs. And it's funny that you bring up "whataboutism" within a conversation in which you yourself used whataboutism.

Even though the "general media" does cover Black-on-Black crime, it probably doesn't need to. Because every time a cop unnecessarily kills a Black person, the "reverse racism is worse than real racism" crowd shouts: "Yeah ... but what about Black-on-Black crime, huh? What about it? Come on, what about it?!?!?!"

Because I guess the existence of Black-on-Black crime somehow means the death of Black people at the hands of cops is less meaningful?

In a similar vein, whenever 1/6/21 is mentioned, the knee-jerk reaction from some is: "Yeah, but what about those BLM riots?!?!?!" As if the latter had anything to do with the President of the United States inciting a deadly coup attempt against the U.S. government.

But sure, yes, Black-on-Black crime exists, and it's bad, and the media does cover it, and Black leaders are working hard to try to contain it. It's a serious problem and a difficult issue.

But yeah ... Afghanistan!

It's "whataboutism" if I reply to a post that others take a topic, but not if you do or anyone else.  And it's way more than Afghanistan which is an abomination. as I'm sure you agree.  This man is beyobd incompetent and as corrupt as Trump.  Oh....and it was so sweet for Big-Tech to block the Hunter laptop story which is 100% true.  He's a criminal and his old man has known this for a long time.

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »

So after getting spiked on your claim they never talk about it, you shifted the goalposts to say they don't talk abut it enough.  And then make a political statement that isn't relevant.

Fun stuff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »
It's "whataboutism" if I reply to a post that others take a topic, but not if you do or anyone else.  And it's way more than Afghanistan which is an abomination. as I'm sure you agree.  This man is beyobd incompetent and as corrupt as Trump.  Oh....and it was so sweet for Big-Tech to block the Hunter laptop story which is 100% true.  He's a criminal and his old man has known this for a long time.

Cool. But what about Trump?

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »

Dude, you already got a topic locked within five minutes of creating it because it was overly political.  Now apparently you want to get this one locked too.

Just stop please.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2021, 08:17:32 AM »

So after getting spiked on your claim they never talk about it, you shifted the goalposts to say they don't talk abut it enough.  And then make a political statement that isn't relevant.

Fun stuff.

I'm the only person that "shifts goalposts" on a thread?  Gimmie a break FBM.  You should welcome all discourse.