[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT TO BE PLAYED WITHOUT FANS  (Read 9549 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT TO BE PLAYED WITHOUT FANS
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 07:10:09 PM »
With all due respect(for real) you Johnny and 10 of thousands of other people that are quivering in their boots and terrified of this thing, you do what you have to do to make yourself feel safe. I for one, will NOT absolutely will NOT be scared of a virus...I'm going to live my life as I normally would.

To be honest people are acting like what's going to happen to us all is like what happened in the Walking dead TV show. Cities completely barron, most everyone dead, and come back to life as a walker.
Dude im not personally terrified. Im 23. There is diffrence between terrified and advocating to take rational steps to prevent possible outbreak. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:32:49 PM by Johnny B »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 07:31:48 PM »
I feel bad for the top 16 seeds on the Women's side - not much of an advantage of hosting if you don't have fans in attendance.  DePaul is thought to be in line to host and I saw some speculation they might try to move their games from Wintrust Arena to the on-campus McGrath-Phillips Arena now.  I guess I won't be going to the Annex on Monday for a Selection Party for the MU Women either - guessing they won't be hosting one this year - had been kind of looking forward to that but oh well...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
With all due respect(for real) you Johnny and 10 of thousands of other people that are quivering in their boots and terrified of this thing, you do what you have to do to make yourself feel safe. I for one, will NOT absolutely will NOT be scared of a virus...I'm going to live my life as I normally would.

To be honest people are acting like what's going to happen to us all is like what happened in the Walking dead TV show. Cities completely barron, most everyone dead, and come back to life as a walker.

It's not about me feeling safe, dummy. It's about having adequate healthcare resources/supplies/staff/doctors/hospital beds for those who really need them.

If 10% of our population need hospitalization due to this virus, do you think it's smarter to get them all sick at once? Or spread it out over time?

Seriously. Do the calculations. Then show your work.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
I dont get why they cant have fans at the tournament. Why not just have a requirement that people must have hazmat suits on?? Could get some licensing deal to get team logos on the suits or somthing.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
Place a person sized monitor and loudspeaker at each seat and each ticketholder can facetime into the game.   

How else will the crowd boo wojo on his introduction!???

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
It's not about me feeling safe, dummy. It's about having adequate healthcare resources/supplies/staff/doctors/hospital beds for those who really need them.

If 10% of our population need hospitalization due to this virus, do you think it's smarter to get them all sick at once? Or spread it out over time?

Seriously. Do the calculations. Then show your work.

Why would 10% of our population need hospitalization? Right now Italy is the biggest global concern, and they have about 0.02% (yes, percent) of their population infected. And of the very small amount infected, what percentage of them require hospitalization? 5%? 10%?

In the US, we have about 1,200 confirmed cases now, right? So we would need to see a 25,000 times increase in cases to hit your 10% estimate, and that's assuming all confirmed cases require hospitalization.  We'd probably need to see something like 70% or more of our population infected to have 10% require hospitalization.

It's obviously a very real global issue, and there do need to be steps taken to get it under control. But just throwing out alarming numbers that are nowhere near what has been experienced so far seems unnecessary.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »
Know who I feel for?

Pantelis Xidias.
This was his moment to shine. Two or three cameras focused solely on his reactions.
Instead he will be home crying into the pile of hair on the floor.
He can probably cut it after tonight. No reason to wait until Sunday.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:32 PM »
Kisscam could get awkward.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
Why would 10% of our population need hospitalization? Right now Italy is the biggest global concern, and they have about 0.02% (yes, percent) of their population infected. And of the very small amount infected, what percentage of them require hospitalization? 5%? 10%?

In the US, we have about 1,200 confirmed cases now, right? So we would need to see a 25,000 times increase in cases to hit your 10% estimate, and that's assuming all confirmed cases require hospitalization.  We'd probably need to see something like 70% or more of our population infected to have 10% require hospitalization.

It's obviously a very real global issue, and there do need to be steps taken to get it under control. But just throwing out alarming numbers that are nowhere near what has been experienced so far seems unnecessary.

You can be mad at my post.. (and my math may be way off) but you could also read from an expert who has done more detailed analysis.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 08:51:15 PM »
Lots of takes didn't age very well in here. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »
play outdoors

problem solved

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »
play outdoors

problem solved
Any navy ships available?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »
Any navy ships available?

That's actually a great idea.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2020, 09:38:28 PM »
That's actually a great idea.

Maybe not a certain carrier in South Carolina though.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2020, 09:39:30 PM »
What this really means to me is that Wojo will have an excuse for why the Al is empty during his NIT game.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »
Maybe not a certain carrier in South Carolina though.

I hear a certain towel boy is available.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2020, 09:43:30 PM »
You can be mad at my post.. (and my math may be way off) but you could also read from an expert who has done more detailed analysis.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/

Why would you think I'm mad? Weird...

Anyway, on to the op-ed. I get the whole hospital bed resource concern. It makes total sense. What I struggle with is that the whole article is built off the assumption that somehow the US will see cases grow at unprecedented sustained rates for this virus.

This whole thing started back in early January in China. And by about mid Feb China had about 80,000 confirmed cases. So 80,000 cases in about 40 days. The US is currently around 1,200 confirmed cases. (although I do agree that's likely a low number due to the limited testing) The author assumes that US cases will grow exponentially to reach 1 million in roughly the same time span as China has experienced from the start of the outbreak to the peak.

Another way to think about it is that this has been around for about 2.5 months, and we only have 120,000 cases globally. So why would it be logical to see the US caseload grow to 1 million in a month and a half if we've only seen 10% of that number of cases in the whole world in the last 2 months or so?

That's where the basic math falls apart for me.

I also question whether the author of that article should be considered an expert. She works at a company that makes plant-based food. I'm sure she has a very solid grasp of biology and understands some of the basics involved with epidemiology, but I don't know think he background is quite right to be called an expert here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:02:30 PM by skianth16 »