'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 5068 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Perspective
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2022, 10:12:42 PM »
When did Shaka say we may have peaked too early.  Missed that.

Shaka never said this team peaked too early nor has he said he fears they have.

He said the goal is to never peak too early and there is no evidence they have peaked too early.

They are 5th in the conference with a very realistic shot at 4th.  Games get harder as the season gets longer regardless of opponent.  Look all around college hoops. 13-15 Maryland just spanked Ohio State.  Gonzaga go spanked by a far inferior team. 1-6 all lost this weekend.

Marquette is good with a path to win these last 2 and win the Big East tournament. Take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride we are on. It's a great year 1.
VIOLENCE!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2022, 11:02:00 PM »
My biggest joy from the season (so far) is MU is again competing in the top half of the league. This is where they belong; 1-5 finish.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2022, 11:47:10 PM »
Shaka could lose his next four games and still have significantly overachieved in year one. He's done a helluva job with this roster. Of course that would leave me with a very foul taste in my mouth so screw settling for a B+, let's go get an A.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 04:17:04 AM »

He said the goal is to never peak too early and there is no evidence they have peaked too early.

They are 5th in the conference with a very realistic shot at 4th.  Games get harder as the season gets longer regardless of opponent.  Look all around college hoops. 13-15 Maryland just spanked Ohio State.  Gonzaga go spanked by a far inferior team. 1-6 all lost this weekend.

Marquette is good with a path to win these last 2 and win the Big East tournament. Take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride we are on. It's a great year 1.
As the season goes on, especially in a round robin conference the other teams learn how to exploit your weaknesses and counter your strengths.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 06:16:50 AM »
Expectations changed for this team during our run in January.  It's been a solid year for sure but I flatly disagree with the "house money" narrative.  I mean last year, before the season started, no one thought the Phoenix Suns were title contenders.  Should their mindset have been this is all gravy once the playoffs started?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2022, 06:35:49 AM »
I’ll admit that I’m one of the first to put on a tin foil hat. But, I completely agree with you. This season has had its ups and downs (as we suspected), however I thought we were a bubble team at best. To have a bid locked down, even a high seed, greatly surpasses my expectations. Congrats to Shaka and team, hoping for the very best over the next month!
what were your expectations when we were ranked 18 and we’re on a 6 game winning streak?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 07:11:03 AM »
TAMU

I agree with your post. Going into the season my expectations were that this team would play hard defense, be competitive far more often than not, steal a few games, would see individual and team improvement, be extremely fun to watch and Shaka would prove he is an elite HC. For me, they hit every expectation and then some. I give Shaka and the team a B+ regardless of how the finish and a win in the NCAA makes the season an A from perspective.

As I said many times, I believe this will be Shaka's worst team in regard to talent and roster make up and the expectations rise next season. This season was building block season and creating a winning culture and system. I actually have been happy that over the past two weeks we have seen more of the future on the court and that was a perk gained from the January success. Seeing glimpses of what Joplin, Kam, Stevie, Omax and Oso will be in the future has been enjoyable to me. If one or two of those guys has half as much improvement that Lewis had the future looks very bright.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 07:34:26 AM »
what were your expectations when we were ranked 18 and we’re on a 6 game winning streak?

I thought we could end the season ranked around 15ish, I expected 2 losses max (we’ve now had 3 with 2 games left) and a 4 seed.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2022, 07:48:40 AM »

Uconn I expected a loss. Actually woulda been quite surprised if we won.

at Butler definitely expected a win. That disappointed.

Creighton, hoped we would win but wasn't something I put in the slam dunk pile.

Overall we haven't played as good of basketball as I expected. But so long as we beat Depaul and SJU. Expectation wise it will be right in line. I expected 4-2 after the Uconn game.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »
Expectations changed for this team during our run in January.  It's been a solid year for sure but I flatly disagree with the "house money" narrative.  I mean last year, before the season started, no one thought the Phoenix Suns were title contenders.  Should their mindset have been this is all gravy once the playoffs started?

The Suns should never have that mindset.  Their fans absolutely can
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
I expect perfection. Nothing less than undefeated seasons and a Championship flag hanging from the roof of FF during the Shaka era. I am 75 and want nothing but Marquette glory in my remaining twilight years.

Perspective.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2022, 08:05:58 AM »

Ill see if I can find his quote…..he said he hoped that this team was not/had not peaked too early.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2022, 09:12:37 AM »

Again, our mindset as fans doesn't impact anything. Going into this season I just wanted to see significant improvement as the season progressed.  Sure, expectations have changed to the extent that I'll be bummed if we don't win a game in the NCAA tourney.  However, if that doesn't happen it won't sour me in any way on what an unexpected and successful season this has been.  You can have your perspective but I think plenty of people have this view as well. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:22:54 AM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2022, 09:22:04 AM »
Again, our mindset as fans doesn't impact anything. Going into this season I just wanted to see significant improvement as the season progressed.  Sure, expectations have changed to the extent that I'll be bummed if we don't win a game in the NCAA tourney.  However, if that doesn't happen it won't sour me in any way on what and unexpected and successful season this has been.  You can have your perspective but I think plenty of people have this view as well.

I like this take. Kudos.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2022, 09:39:36 AM »
Pre-season expectations are irrelevant to this discussion.  That's not the way to approach the rest of our season.

I agree with your point.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2022, 09:51:58 AM »
I had bullish expectations for the team going into the season. The team as whole met my expectations , as did the individual players and coaching staff. 

Going forward I believe we are capable of getting on another winning streak and going deep into the BET.

Fun to see the program with the dynamism it has
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »
Pre-season expectations are irrelevant to this discussion.  That's not the way to approach the rest of our season.

Aside from the fact that Scoopers' expectations influence nada -- truth hurts! -- I agree with what I think you're trying to say.

I feel most of us have had the "right" perspective the entire time. Expectations are a different thing, and I decided to start a thread about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2022, 11:42:35 AM »
I think this team has already exceeded most of our expectations and has given us a very exciting season. In the NCAA tournament, I just hope they can win a game - though that is heavily dependent on their seeding and the matchup they have. Their rebounding problems may cause a very early exit, but I certainly hope not.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2022, 09:05:49 PM »

I don't know how people can judge their satisfaction with this season without reflecting back on what their expectations were so I have to disagree with your first sentence.

Your second makes more sense, Muggs. The approach to the remaining games should take into consideration what the team has done and how it has performed, and our preseason expectations should be less of a factor.

feedback