'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hypocrisy of MU Basketball  (Read 31068 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Hypocrisy of MU Basketball
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
After a long hiatus, I've returned.  Several years ago I called for the firing of Wojo, critiquing his poor coaching.  The moderators tried to shut me down for voicing an opinion supported by facts.  Time hath proven me correct that Wojo is a fraud.  The question remains:  Why do the majority of MU fans continue to "believe" in this fraud?  Let's take a look. 

Why is Wojo Still Head Coach?
a. Coach K's coattails
b. Fan base who lacks critical analysis to evaluate coaching. 
c. Poor contract offered up by the university
d. Your infatuation with Markus Howard's stats and alleged 4* recruits that don't pan out

Wojo's Weaknesses
a. Lack of continuity on defense.  No system whatsoever
b. Inability to recruit talent and recruit players that fit to a system
c. Monotone buffoonery that is uninspiring - Jason Garrett 2.0
d. Inability to create a significant home court advantage when you have one of the highest attendances in NCAA basketball = lack of defense

The MU fanbase and media are to blame.  No effort has been taken to behead the beast that has sullied the program.  Wojo's only strength is his clean cut, professional image which seems to be what the MU fan base craves these days.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Hypocrisy of MU Basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:55:15 AM »
I'll let you know that a majority of the fan base does not believe in him.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
Well, that's a good to hear.  I saw this coming years ago.  The question is.... why isn't there a buzz in the media about it?  Is MU shutting that down?  Are they waiting for Wojo's contract to expire and be cheap about the whole process?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »
Well, that's a good to hear.  I saw this coming years ago.  The question is.... why isn't there a buzz in the media about it?  Is MU shutting that down?  Are they waiting for Wojo's contract to expire and be cheap about the whole process?

I doubt Ben Steele is going to write a “should they fire Wojo” piece at this point in the season. Frankly, the Brewers offseason is higher on the media’s list than MU basketball. If Wojo coached the Packers, the media would have been on him in the non-conference of his first year.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »
I don't think the "mods shut you down" for this, seeing as at least this guy has wanted a new MU coach for longer than yesterday.

Browsing the ban log, the note was "only shows up after MU losses."  -- Well, at least you are consistent.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
I don't think the "mods shut you down" for this, seeing as at least this guy has wanted a new MU coach for longer than yesterday.

Browsing the ban log, the note was "only shows up after MU losses."  -- Well, at least you are consistent.

Scoop ban log

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
I'll let you know that a majority of the fan base does not believe in him.

You speak for the majority of the fan base?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »

"If one particular style of thought stands out about creative genius, it is the ability to make juxtapositions between dissimilar subjects. Call it a facility to connect the unconnected that enables them to see things to which others are blind."

Don't worry, MU moderators wouldn't be the first people in history to shut down genius insight.  Had MU taken my advice, the program could be year 3 into a much more viable coach rather than continue to put up with Wojo's incompetence. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
You speak for the majority of the fan base?

There’s a very vocal minority of High Volume Wojo Guys who will immediately run to Wojo’s defense at the slightest criticism, but instead of trying to defend him or his coaching they’ll hurl personal insults at his detractors in an attempt to derail the conversation.  These people post so frequently and so loudly that it actually seems like Wojo has more supporters than he really does.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
There’s a very vocal minority of High Volume Wojo Guys who will immediately run to Wojo’s defense at the slightest criticism, but instead of trying to defend him or his coaching they’ll hurl personal insults at his detractors in an attempt to derail the conversation.  These people post so frequently and so loudly that it actually seems like Wojo has more supporters than he really does.

Attendance suffering?  Donations?  Recruiting? Those seem more important than who claims to have support on a message forum.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
"If one particular style of thought stands out about creative genius, it is the ability to make juxtapositions between dissimilar subjects. Call it a facility to connect the unconnected that enables them to see things to which others are blind."

Don't worry, MU moderators wouldn't be the first people in history to shut down genius insight.  Had MU taken my advice, the program could be year 3 into a much more viable coach rather than continue to put up with Wojo's incompetence.

Now, you've veered into the "narcissistic fool" lane.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »

Yep.

"Genius insight"? Seriously? How insecure does a person need to be to talk about himself like that?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 12:48:36 PM »

Only a Beta Male supports Wojo and subpar results.  Excellence and vision - when proven - should not be cast into the depths.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 01:07:22 PM »
If Wojo coached the Packers, the media would have been on him in the non-conference of his first year.

Can't agree with you there. The media gave McCarthy 14 years. Granted he won a Super Bowl and Wojo can't win a post season game, but still..... 14 years.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »
I doubt Ben Steele is going to write a “should they fire Wojo” piece at this point in the season. Frankly, the Brewers offseason is higher on the media’s list than MU basketball. If Wojo coached the Packers, the media would have been on him in the non-conference of his first year.

Not true, McCarthy got a long leash.

Furthermore, pro sports totally different and not an apt comparison.  The draft alone guarantees you will get good access to players each year, same with contracts and the salary cap.  Limited number of teams, good players land on bad teams, good teams, great teams.  That's not the case with college sports where you are competing against a much larger pool, only have a kid for max of four years, they can leave whenever they want (no contracts), etc.  Just a different animal.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
Can't agree with you there. The media gave McCarthy 14 years. Granted he won a Super Bowl and Wojo can't win a post season game, but still..... 14 years.

If you think the media gave McCarthy a long leash, you probably weren't reading much Bob McGinn.  And anyway, I am not sure what they were supposed to do with a coach who got them to the 2017 NFC Championship Game - not that long ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:12 PM »
The media would need to cover MU to give Wojo some heat. I think Steele is fine, but MU does not get much air time in the local media. I would not hold out expecting to see the Journal throw any anti Wojo comments in the paper.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
The Journal Sentinel doesn't hold as much clout as it used to.  If pressure is to be put on Wojo it has to be a grassroots effort from the fan base.  Judging by the posts on  here, I don't see that happening.  People don't seem to realize that not playing defense doesn't get you anywhere in college basketball.  But hey!!!  There's that 2020 recruiting class!  Oooooooooooh Ahhhhhhhhhh

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »

Still waiting to hear back on my first accounts ban reason  8-)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »
Still waiting to hear back on my first accounts ban reason  8-)

Pretty sure a mod posted it publicly that it had to do with some posts on the Chatboard that matched your IP.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Pretty sure a mod posted it publicly that it had to do with some posts on the Chatboard that matched your IP.

You were correct about posts in the chat board believed to be me. But alas most definitely didn't match any ips.

I rarely go to the chat room, and that night I was in a chemistry lab. Which is why I posted asking about the game.

I could see why the mods put two and two together since I was very much against Derrick running the point. Little did I know he was benched that game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
Only a Beta Male supports Wojo and subpar results.  Excellence and vision - when proven - should not be cast into the depths.

So which diseases have you cured, Dr. Alpha? Life-changing inventions? Contributions to world peace?

Just curious to see where your personal bar is set....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
Attendance suffering?  Donations?  Recruiting? Those seem more important than who claims to have support on a message forum.

those things and how the coach and team are representing the university.  It's not as if MU is in Northwestern territory right now or losing home buy games to Merrimack, FAMU or Cal State Fullerton. I haven't seen Josh Rothstein refer to any of our results as "the epitome of brutality."

When the fans start sharing their opinions by withholding donations or not buying tickets then the administration will act. But as long as Wojo's team is competing for a tourney bid every year, 15K are filling the arena, and representing the university in a positive manner (as a person, unlike Deane, and as a program, unlike Buzz) he's safe.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:45:00 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 04:46:34 PM »
You’re f*cking nuts

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
those things and how the coach and team are representing the university.  It's not as if MU is in Northwestern territory right now or losing home buy games to Merrimack, FAMU or Cal State Fullerton. I haven't seen Josh Rothstein refer to any of our results as "the epitome of brutality."

When the fans start sharing their opinions by withholding donations or not buying tickets then the administration will act. But as long as Wojo's team is competing for a tourney bid every year, 15K are filling the arena, and representing the university in a positive manner (as a person, unlike Deane, and as a program, unlike Buzz) he's safe.

This is exactly correct.  There is no hot seat.  Not even warm.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.