collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lil Romeo receives a scholarship from USC to play ball?????  (Read 5054 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Lil Romeo receives a scholarship from USC to play ball?????
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
Lil Romeo is foot 10 inches, averaged 8.6 points a game for his Beverly Hills High SChool team is a scholarshipped athlete at the University of Southern California. How he got it may or may not surprise you, but shady non the less

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120485166974418241.html?mod=hpp_us_inside_today

Thats right... this article is out of the Wall Street Journal.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Lil Romeo receives a scholarship from USC to play ball?????
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »
From time to time we like to make fun of Crean for trying too hard to "sell" the program but at least he's not as blatant as Tim Floyd when it comes to selling out for the sizzle over the steak.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
It will be worth it if USC lands Derozan
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Just like IU signing Todd Leary in hopes of landing his high school teammate Eric Montross....

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
This happens all the time in College Basketball... I wonder out MJ's son got onto Illinois team... its to bad that lil romeo isn't that big of a star otherwise it might actually draw people...
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
We are almost certainly getting some buzztime from taylor in cheek's ear too ;)  Slightly different in that we really want Taylor too regardless of what happens with Cheek but still..
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
I dont' think its any different from hiring AAU coaches as assitants to get players (i.e. Kansas St.) It happens a lot more nowadays I think because there isnt' a whole lot seperating the elite programs form one another.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:42 PM »
seems to me it was a 'buy 2 get 1' deal.  He wanted DeMar, and had to take Romeo, too.  Not unlike what is done often, altho not as blatantly, by other schools.  (years ago, Coach Raymonds wanted nationally acclaimed Kerry Trotter, and also offerred Vic Lazeretti his teammate and center.  When Majerus took over, he renigged on Vic's scholarship, along with a few others.)  I guess my surprise is that he would offer a scholarship rather than "invited to be a preferred walk-on".

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
I guess my surprise is that he would offer a scholarship rather than "invited to be a preferred walk-on".

I guess the end of the article is what makes me little ticked. He is taking a scholarship away from more deserving kids (like the walkon mentioned at the end of the article). He shouldnt be getting a full ride there when his father can afford tuition a million times over. but i guess anything to get your recruit.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:42 AM »
in the spirit of prn, i will point out that this news is not exactly breaking, similar to a certain recent thread (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=6948.0)
This happens all the time in College Basketball... I wonder out MJ's son got onto Illinois team... its to bad that lil romeo isn't that big of a star otherwise it might actually draw people...
i dont know about that. i can think of a handful of situations out of hundreds of thousands, not quite all the time

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »
in the spirit of prn, i will point out that this news is not exactly breaking, similar to a certain recent thread (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=6948.0)
i dont know about that. i can think of a handful of situations out of hundreds of thousands, not quite all the time

Again, another example of how the registered users have little patience for the people who do not surf the archives of MUscoop or every sport site all day just to have the latest sports story. This crap is getting ridiculous.

feedback