[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre to retire  (Read 14879 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Favre to retire
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
Did anyone not see how well Rodgers did against a stellar team in the Cowboys this past season when Brett was hurt??? He brought them back into a game that Brett had dug into a hole. Packer nation will be fine with Rodgers under the helm. Rodgers was trained well at Cal and under one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game!

Thanks Brett for the memories and being a class act quarterback!!

cowboys were only 13th against the pass this season and were worse going into the gb game. 

I'm a bears fan and the guy who said that GB would trade for grossman strieght up is crazy.  WHy would you trade a guy who you aren't sure if he's good or not for a guy who you know isn't good.  Grossman will always be inconsistant, injury and mistake prone. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 12:23:42 PM »
Spiral, his dad, my son and I got to attend that game....as I told my son this morning, you got to see Favre play in person in his last year....something he can always remember.

Brett did a LOT of growing up from 1990 to 2007.  I'm not much of a Packers fan, though I respect their liniage and their greatness, but Favre was a blast to watch.  He would have put me in the grave years ago if he was on my team with the way he plays (I mean that as a compliment).  Definitely one of the all-time greats...I don't drink the koolaid to put him at #1 like some folks do (not enough titles and the SB loss is a dinger), but certainly top 10 and probably would make my top 5.

A blast to watch.

Something also tells me I would not be shocked if in 3 months he unretires either.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
One could actually make the case that Grossman and Rodgers are similar in a lot of ways.

-Both went to college programs that had college coaches keen on slinging it
-Both are on the short side height wise
-Both have dealt with injuries and didn't really get their chance to start a full season until three/four years in the league

Rodgers will most likely be a more accurate qb that Grossman will be. Rodgers arm strength isn't what Grossman's is however. Grossman's one true strength that makes him of value is his ability to throw a good deep ball. When Rex is good, his accuracy and completion % are way up, and he is more than a serviceable NFL qb. When he's bad, he can be real bad. Through a quarter of the 2006 NFL season, it was argued he was the MVP of the league up to that point. A quarter of a season does not mean a hell of a lot in the long run.

His experience wins out over Rodgers, obviously Rodgers can't compete with that. As much as Grossman is panned, he is 19-9 as a starter in the NFL, and has "led" a team to a Super Bowl.

Like Grossman's one quarter of the 2006 season, one half against the Cowboys doesn't make Rodgers a Pro Bowl qb. Favre's ability to scramble and bide time made the Packers offense much better. His offensive line knew what to do and his receivers understood Favre's ability to do this and to continue with the play.

It would have been interesting had Favre announced this sooner, and had the Bears not re-signed Grossman. We could have been talking about Grossman leading the 2008 Pack right now.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
Spiral, his dad, my son and I got to attend that game....as I told my son this morning, you got to see Favre play in person in his last year....something he can always remember.

that was one of my first thoughts too after reading about his retirement - thanks chicos!

I just feel old all of a sudden.. I remember when favre started playing for the packers.. when "magic" majkowski handed the reins over.. and before.. this is the end of an era for packer fans.. a big one.. and hopefully the start of another.. kinda feel like I'm in spaceship earth at disney world and the buggy just turned the corner - wham we're in the next age.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
Why would the Packers possibly trade Rodgers for Grossman?

They really don't have much of an idea if Rodgers is going to ever be a good player or not, but they definitely know that Grossman is NEVER going to be anything more than a below average starter or a back-up.  He has shown this the last two years with a qb rating of 70 and now he is in a training camp battle with Kyle Fricking Orton.  Not to mention the fact Rodgers is also 3 years younger.

You are CRAZY if you think the Packers would even consider that trade.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
Grossman has shown flashes, both good and bad, as an NFL qb. If you honestly think the Packers wouldn't pick up the phone and listen to a hypothetical Grossman for Rodgers trade, then you really need to take off the green and gold glasses. To think otherwise is both wrong and ignorant.

If anything, jmayer, you argued against your own point. Rodgers is 3 years younger than Grossman. The Packer window to win is now and closing faster today than it was yesterday. Grossman's experience is invaluable compared to Rodgers.

Again, if you know what type of qb's they are, and realize what type of offenses their teams play, Grossman is a much better fit in the Packers style of offense than he is in Chicago. There's a reason Ron Wolf coveted Grossman in the '03 draft.

I'm not a Grossman apologist. But I think to be blinded by what Rodgers did in a half against the Cowboys and believe that will translate to an entire season is foolish.

reesiecup210

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »
Rodgers has the potential to not be horribly inconsistent. Grossman does not. No way would that trade happen. Who cares anyway, I hate to say it, but Rodgers probably will never satisfy Packer fans. Too hard to fill Brett's shoes. He's never coming close to Brett's stats, but more importantly, NO ONE is coming close to Brett's incomparable personality. The league will be far less entertaining without him.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
The Packer window to win is now and closing faster today than it was yesterday. Grossman's experience is invaluable compared to Rodgers.

Uhm, the Packers were one of the youngest teams in the league with Favre, and just got a lot younger today (sadly).  I'm not sure why their window is closing fast.

I'll take my chances with Rogers over the known commodity of Grossman.  I don't know how good / bad Rogers will be, but he looked pretty solid against Dallas.  Grossman may be more experienced, but he has also shown that he'll single-handedly lose a game more than he'll single-handedly win a game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »
The reason the Packers window is closing is because where they are old, they are old at the wrong positions.

CB (Harris, Woodson)
OT (Clifton, Tauscher)
WR (Driver)
QB (up until today)

Don't get me wrong, these guys are all still good-very good NFL players and all have a good couple of years left. If you're going to win in the NFL and maintain success though, unless you have a killer defense, you better be good and young at these positions. See NE, Indy as examples.

If they can find good replacements for these guys in the next two years, the Pack window will last longer, as they have some nice young pieces otherwise.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »
Wow Dish, I don't know what to say; my head hurts after reading your posts.  So, I guess I will say this as clearly as possible:  GROSSMAN IS NOT GOOD!!!!!  He has show this the last two years.  He may have some big games every now and then but he is terribly inconsistent and will cost his team more than games than he will win for them.   He lost his starting job to Brian Griese and Kyle Orton.  He is a known quantity.

Now, Aaron Rodgers may be pretty good or he may be the worst qb to every step onto Lambeau Field; but right now he is an unknown.  Why would you trade an unknown for a guy you know sucks? 

Wolf liked Grossman 4 years ago, great, so did a lot of other people.  Wolf also liked Jamal Reynolds and TBuck in the first round.  He was wrong on them and he was wrong on Grossman. 

I don't know if you are blinded by the Super Bowl run the Bears defense and Hester carried them to or what, but you need to think logically.

reesiecup210

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
So do James Jones and Greg Jennings not count as WRs? Or do you consider a second year player and a third year player to be "old"? Come on.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
To reesiecup, no, Jones and Jennings are not "old". In other news, the sun rose this morning. Driver is 33. In NFL terms, he's old.

To jmayer, I never argued Grossman was good. He's a known quantity, you're right. He's been good, he's been bad. Most people will take a known entity over an unknown entity, especially in the NFL.

I don't need to pimp my resume, but most on this board know I used to work in the Bears front office. I still know people there, I know what they think of Rex and what the league thinks of Rex. I'm telling you, believe it if you want, heck, believe whatever you want, but if this trade were proposed, it would happen.

If Rex hits the market next Feb., I wouldn't be shocked for a second if/when the Packers call.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
Grossman's badness has been "grossly" overrated. He has a ton of ability...more than Rodgers. He lacks size. He's got a fantastic arm and can throw the deep ball with the best of them. His problem...and it's due in large part to his size (and injuries) is he has a hard time stepping up in the pocket.

I would rather have Grossman than Rodgers.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
I would rather have Tommy Brice than Rex Grossman as an NFL quarterback.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »

To jmayer, I never argued Grossman was good. He's a known quantity, you're right. He's been good, he's been bad. Most people will take a known entity over an unknown entity, especially in the NFL.

I don't need to pimp my resume, but most on this board know I used to work in the Bears front office. I still know people there, I know what they think of Rex and what the league thinks of Rex. I'm telling you, believe it if you want, heck, believe whatever you want, but if this trade were proposed, it would happen.

Grossman has been much more bad than good.  Most people will not take a known quantity that is BAD over an unknown quantity.

Congrats, that is a great job to put on your resume.  It just causes me to wonder why the Bears didn't stick with Rex then in a season that was going nowhere and there wasn't any talk of any other teams pursuing him.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »
Let's go AARON RODGERS!!!  ;D
SS Marquette

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
All of this said, congrats to Favre on an outstanding career. One of the all time greats, owned the Bears for over a decade, and he deserved to go out after a great season.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
I can never get enough of this.

The number of starting quarterbacks used by each NFL team since Brett Favre's streak of consecutive starts began on Sept. 27, 1992:

Chicago Bears - 21
Washington Redskins - 18
Arizona/Phoenix Cardinals - 17
Miami Dolphins - 17
Atlanta Falcons - 16
Cleveland Browns - 16
New Orleans Saints - 16
Oakland/L.A. Raiders 16
St.Louis/L.A. Rams 16
Dallas Cowboys - 15
Detroit Lions - 15
N.Y. Jets - 15
Baltimore Ravens - 14
Minnesota Vikings - 14
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 14
Denver Broncos - 13
Philadelphia Eagles - 13
San Diego Chargers - 13
Cincinnati Bengals - 12
San Francisco 49ers - 12
Seattle Seahawks - 12
Tennessee/Houston Oilers/Titans - 12
Carolina Panthers - 11
Buffalo Bills - 10
Jacksonville Jaguars - 10
Indianapolis Colts - 9
N.Y. Giants - 9
Pittsburgh Steelers - 9
Kansas City Chiefs - 9
New England Patriots - 7
Houston Texans - 5
Green Bay Packers -1
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
I cannot believe that Jon Kitna is now the best QB in the division.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
last night a friend of mine who is a Chicago native commented "Favre ruined my childhood, but I sure loved watching him play".