[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU closed for snow  (Read 11814 times)

muhoosier260

• All American
MU closed for snow
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:19:37 AM »
never thought it would happen. no biology test! sweet!

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: MU closed for snow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:19 AM »
Word!  No PT either!  Woke up at 0515 as always every MW for Navy PT, but even that was cancelled!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

reesiecup210

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »
1st Annual Snow Day Case Race

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
How about a pic or two?  I'd love to be reminded of what that stuff looks like.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
Does Marquette still have web cams around the campus, I seem to remember seeing them during construction projects, not sure if they are still up?

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
Here's the cam: http://www.mu.edu/cam/

To be honest, it's really not that bad out.  I think the closing was more due to the anticipation of the snow than the actual snow itself, if that makes sense.  Regardless, I'll gladly take a snow day two years in a row.

EDIT:  I take that back.  I can barely see the Dog Haus from my window and I live half a block away.  I definitely can't see Real Chili and that's only a block away.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:39:06 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »
This morning wasn't all that bad.  The freeways were fairly clear.  It has gotten dramatically worse in the past thirty minutes.  (11:30 to noon, local time).
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
I cannot see the MCFI Center, which is about 100 yards from my window.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 12:28:44 PM »

Ah youth......way back in December, 1987 MU closed for snow.......and about 1,000 happy students from Fr Donnelly's western civ class missed their final exam.  Taking it in January was optional.

That was sweet.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »

Ah youth......way back in December, 1987 MU closed for snow.......and about 1,000 happy students from Fr Donnelly's western civ class missed their final exam.  Taking it in January was optional.

That was sweet.
fr. donnelly is still doing western civ., something tells me he knows his western European geography after teaching that class 20+ years

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »
I hereby declare this day to be Snow Day, the funnest day in the history of Springfield!

-- Diamond Joe Quimby

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
NYWarrior, I'll never forget that day.  Final exam week (Tuesday I believe) of Freshman year.  The day of my first college final exams, but I didn't know it.  I had written the wrong date down for my Calculus exam.  My exam was Tuesday 12/15 at 9:00, and I thought it was Thursday at 12:15 pm.  Had no idea my exam was snowed out until Kevin Harding and Joe Burkard told me.  Would have missed it were it not for the snow cancellation.  The professor allowed everyone to take their current grade instead of the exam.  I took the A, and vowed never to be so stupid again.

EmJ5

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
I really needed an extra day to study for that bio test...
But yeah, I can see the AMU from my window and this morning they plowed the walkway outside of it... you can't even tell... and I can hardly see the building at this point even though it is only a couple steps from where I live.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
I'll chip in my visibility issues, and maybe this is more relatable for everyone. From the east side of Schroeder, I couldn't see the Al, Catholic Knights, Cobeen, and Carpenter most of the day.

Last year everyone talked about how MU never has snowdays. 2 years in a row now, so I'm going to expect it to continue for my last 2.

I'd say last year's was better though. It was a Friday (not Ash Wednesday! I personally won't ever be participating in a full day of drinking on Ash Wednesday.), and the weather was much more hospitable for snow football. Still, no complaints here.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
NYWarrior, I'll never forget that day.  Final exam week (Tuesday I believe) of Freshman year.  The day of my first college final exams, but I didn't know it.  I had written the wrong date down for my Calculus exam.  My exam was Tuesday 12/15 at 9:00, and I thought it was Thursday at 12:15 pm.  Had no idea my exam was snowed out until Kevin Harding and Joe Burkard told me.  Would have missed it were it not for the snow cancellation.  The professor allowed everyone to take their current grade instead of the exam.  I took the A, and vowed never to be so stupid again.

Larry  -- that was a great night to be on the 11th floor........good times.  I am still satisfied with the 'B'

Pago Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »
What was the final tally to total snow fall in MKE yesterday?  I heard in some parts up to 20 inches which would mean it was a pretty good day for the prognosticators, err, weathermen.

One winter I spent the Christmas holidays on an island on in the South Pacific and came back to -32 degree temps - that translated to a +100 degree temp differential in the matter of 15 hours on my body.  Not funny at all; I think I imposed a personal snow day on the 1st day of "spring" semester classes.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
What was the final tally to total snow fall in MKE yesterday?  I heard in some parts up to 20 inches which would mean it was a pretty good day for the prognosticators, err, weathermen.

15"-20" depending on what part of town.  Plus drifting of up to 4 feet.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:47 AM »
Platteville also got closed for the first time since the 80's... and there is history behind why not since the 80s has it been closed

in the 80s... it was closed, and the town went dry, the college students drank the bars/liquor store/grocery store... all dry

they did it again in the 80s, same result.... this concerned the university...

so yesterday they closed classes, needless to say, we weren't letting the tradition go to waste, as the bars were packed... was it dry, no, so we didn't succeed.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 03:11:58 PM »
I just stumbled across this time-lapse video from the JS window looking at the intersection between it and the bradley center.. pretty cool!  the real action starts at about halfway through the video.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=715480
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 10:28:45 PM »
I just stumbled across this time-lapse video from the JS window looking at the intersection between it and the bradley center.. pretty cool!  the real action starts at about halfway through the video.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=715480
holy sh**, thats awesome. i can't believe there were even that many cars out by mid afternoon, streets were absolutely impassable

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

It was a blast that night...throwing snow balls at the metro buses coming down Wisconsin Ave...hitting the IHOP for breakfast at 3:30am...I didn't study a lick.  It was my first blizzard in my life and I wasn't going to miss it.

I took the grade for history...an AB....or was it a B...hell, I don't know...

12th floor at McCormick.  Good times 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:34:00 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

feedback