[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Food  (Read 24285 times)

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Marquette Food
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
Marquette Gyros.  Good greasy food.  Though imo, for some reason Oakland Gyros on UWM's campus is better.

George Webb, another place you never go for dinner but stumble in to at 2 am. 

Angelo's.  Especially popular among freshmen.

Ziggy's.  People either love it or want to call the health department on them.

1. Oakland Gyros uses better lamb meat for their sandwiches. I always thought that the gyro meat at Marquette Gyros was always overdone.

2. Angelo's was the only place that served minors. That's why it was so popular with the frosh. You could have yourself a pitcher and a $1 basket of fries.

3. Ziggie's....How the hell has that place not been shut down yet. I can't believe people ate there after watching him smoke his pipe while cooking your food at the same time. As Cleveland Brown would say..."That's nasty!"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
PTM-

I had the same issue with Burger King... but I found one just a lil farther away. There is one on 35th a couple blocks north of highland.

Also a new favorite of mine that I recently found is the Philly Way... its on 2nd and Florida so you won't want to walk it but it has the best cheesesteak I have ever had outside of Philly

Completely agree with Philly Way. Dude actually gets his bread shipped in from Philly.

I do miss Taste of Philly that was on campus. Their sandwiches were pretty damn good. One thing that I am glad that is gone is Blimpy. That place sucked. Except for the Blimpy Bear that would show up at games. I remember my friends and I scaring Joe Chapman during one of his recruiting visits when a friend of mine stumbled up to him with the Blimpy Bear to get a picture. Too bad I had my finger over the lens. Stupid Admiral Nelson.
But I like to throw handfuls...

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »
Stupid Admiral Nelson.

Beware sailing with the Admiral. He's a swashbuckler.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
Louie D's.

Saturday night, 2:00 am, drunk and in need of food, best place on campus.

They also had the $1.25 cheeseburgers during the day.

only Monday thru Wed.  Used to pick up 2 $1.25 cheesburgers and an order of cheese fries.  Then I wonder why I got fat.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
PTM-

I had the same issue with Burger King... but I found one just a lil farther away. There is one on 35th a couple blocks north of highland.

Also a new favorite of mine that I recently found is the Philly Way... its on 2nd and Florida so you won't want to walk it but it has the best cheesesteak I have ever had outside of Philly

Completely agree with Philly Way. Dude actually gets his bread shipped in from Philly.

I've been down to that Burger King, it has been marginal, and the distance just makes it almost a non-factor.

Philly Way though eh? 2nd and Florida? I'm assuming down in the Third Ward? Try anything other than a Cheesesteak?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »
It is down near the third ward, I always go with the cheesesteak. The menu isnt exactly large but Ive heard that some of their other stuff is pretty good too.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Definitely Louis D's.  Good chicken sandwich.  Guili's was the best, greasiest pizza ever.  Remember my first week as a freshman, drunk at Guili's and counted out at Angelo's.  Ah, the good ol' days minus a wife and two boys.

Taco Bell on 23rd ish was ok when I lived there, but the bullet proof drive through window was a bit alarming. 

Louis D's moved down near grand ave mall I think after they tore everything down.  Didn't survive.  Wasn't the same.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
Who orders the gyros at Marquette Gyros? 

Everyone knows it's all about the burgers (and curly fries, and steak sandwiches, and chicken bacon swisses, and damn I wish I didn't live 350 miles away and could walk over there right now, because you know it's open).....

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/marquette_gyros

bma725

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »

Louis D's moved down near grand ave mall I think after they tore everything down.  Didn't survive.  Wasn't the same.

Pretty sure they didn't move.  The owner was offered the space that was Vibe music when MU decided to tear the building down, they even offered him a fairly low rent but he didn't want to relocate anywhere, so he retired and moved out of state.  Too bad, they still had the best cheese fries anywhere.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:54 AM »
Who orders the gyros at Marquette Gyros? 

Everyone knows it's all about the burgers (and curly fries, and steak sandwiches, and chicken bacon swisses, and damn I wish I didn't live 350 miles away and could walk over there right now, because you know it's open).....

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/marquette_gyros
man i'm 2 blocks away, already had a late night snack, and now you have me contemplating going there. btw, the gyros are the best there, if you've never had them then try it

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
Oakland Gyros is far superior to Marquette Gyros.
Jing's (in the 3rd Ward) is far superior to Chopstix.
Ziggy is not getting his contract renewed when it runs out, which is in 2014. That building is being turned into a res hall.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 05:39:54 AM »
No more Ziggy?!  Where will I get my weird conversation and pipe tobacco scented food?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
I'll agree that Oakland Gyros has better meat than Marquette Gyro's, but it stops there. Oakland Gyro's is delicious, but the environment at our Gyro's can not be touched. People smoking everywhere, drunk employees, shouting and shoving matches, Janet stepping into potential fights and laying down the law, Gus sitting back and laughing about everything.....absolutely wonderful. Any place where it's possible for a drunk kid to wake up the next morning in the bathroom because nobody checked when they locked up, well that's a place for me.

Besides that, the food is more than good enough.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »

Pretty sure they didn't move.  The owner was offered the space that was Vibe music when MU decided to tear the building down, they even offered him a fairly low rent but he didn't want to relocate anywhere, so he retired and moved out of state.  Too bad, they still had the best cheese fries anywhere.

They offered Louie the old Taste of Philly space, but MU gave him the runaround a bit when it came to discussing specifics, so he bailed.

Louie now owns and operates Niko's Gyros, at the Elston/Western/Diversey intersection in Chicago.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
btw, the gyros are the best there, if you've never had them then try it

Yeah, I've tried the gyros there, but not since 4 years ago... a buddy of mine walked into my room at Schroeder one morning when I was particularly hung over, saw me writhing in pain, and nuked a gyro left over from the night before in my microwave.  Never again.

By the way, has anybody on here eaten at Gyros more than 10 times in one week, or more than six days in a row?  Those are my personal bests

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 11:58:28 PM »

Yeah, I've tried the gyros there, but not since 4 years ago... a buddy of mine walked into my room at Schroeder one morning when I was particularly hung over, saw me writhing in pain, and nuked a gyro left over from the night before in my microwave.  Never again.

By the way, has anybody on here eaten at Gyros more than 10 times in one week, or more than six days in a row?  Those are my personal bests

Are you actually alive? Damn, son.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Any place where it's possible for a drunk kid to wake up the next morning in the bathroom because nobody checked when they locked up, well that's a place for me.

I think the next thread needs to be "craziest place you woke up at"

I'm tied with Evans Scholar lawn (wallet still in pocket) & on a washer & dryer in a campus town laundry room.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »
Any place where it's possible for a drunk kid to wake up the next morning in the bathroom because nobody checked when they locked up, well that's a place for me.

I'm tied with Evans Scholar lawn (wallet still in pocket) & on a washer & dryer in a campus town laundry room.

Random apartment. sans wallet, cell phone, and shoes. in the middle of winter.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

I think we have a winner!

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Wow that SUCKS!  :D

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »
Wow that SUCKS!  :D

To be clear, that kid wasn't me. I could only wish for such an honor.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

You are not going to have a colon when you are 35.  dang, boy.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
I know it is chain but the papa johns that used to be in campus town was epic.  You could get a large pie for like $6 and as many garlic sauces as you wanted.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »

i have a story, but it didn't have quite so much to do with WHERE I woke up, but what had happened (that I had little recollection of). It had to do with me discovering I fell into the tub and whacked my head on the wall in my shower, taking out a 3X3 portion of tiles. Damage- $343. No brain damage.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »
I know it is chain but the papa johns that used to be in campus town was epic.  You could get a large pie for like $6 and as many garlic sauces as you wanted.

Papa John's just moved across the street, next to Murphy's. $5 one-topping large pizzas are awesome. It's better than Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc... And A LOT better than Sal's Pizza that just opened up.