Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2013 Reseating Changes  (Read 21246 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2013 Reseating Changes
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
There are quite a few posts here regarding the seat selection issue but many more "silent" unposted thoughts from other ticket holders. Has the consideration been given to those fans that might simply "give up" their seats and leave without having to be subjected to this "new"system?

Reseating each year isn't as big an issue as the seat selection, where ever anyone sat. Downstairs or upstairs. Many of us like where we sit and want to sit where we want to sit, plain and simple.
If I can't be guaranteed my choice, actually for a specific reason, I'll just give up my tickets and MU will lose a fan. I guess with new students coming in each year and new graduates going out each year they'll easily find replacements for me so who cares. Right?

On the fence for a lot of reasons. Need to assess the actual details when presented and make my choices. I live in Chicago and could be saving a lot of gas money and travel time, too. Wouldn't miss the "white knuckler" driving on snowy nights, either......hmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, but if you read the entire thread, this isn't a MU sided decision... They are essentially being forced to do this to comply with Wisconsin State Law.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Middle sections in 2005- $1300 .. now its $2,140, up 64%.  Wow.  Man, those middle section prices are high.

It's all relative. Take a look at the seating prices for UCLA or North Carolina some time. As I recall, it's tough getting into the stadium for the prices we pay to be in the lower bowl.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
The mandatory donations have "only" been around since (I think) 2005. 

Checking the way back machine:
2003: $434, $386, $354- lower bowl tickets
2005: Lower bowl: $448 or $504, donations start, can't breakdown, think it's $150/$100/$50
2007: Entire lower bowl  $600 per year, plus donation, think it's $250/$150/$50
2008: Entire lower bowl  $600 per year, plus donation, think it's $250/$150/$50
2010: Entire Lower bowl, $570, plus $375, $225, $75, $50 donation
2011: Entire Lower bowl, $570, plus $375, $225, $75, $50 donation
2012: Entire lower bowl: $570, plus $500, $300, $100, $50 donation

Wow, they are really crushing the middle sections, this year the donations went way up. 

Back in 2005 .. $1000 for a pair in the corner.  Now those same seats are $1340, a 34% increase in 7 years.

Middle sections in 2005- $1300 .. now its $2,140, up 64%.  Wow.  Man, those middle section prices are high.

By adjusting prices to what the market will bear, Marquette is simply being fiscally responsible.  Doing anything less would simply put the difference in the hands of scalpers instead of the University.

To be honest, I am a little surprised that the IRS has not swooped down on the concept of "mandatory donations" and determined that it is, in fact, part of the market price of the ticket, and therefore, not deductible at all.  It could certainly argue that if a donation is "mandatory", it ls really not a donation.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
"fiscally responsible" to charge what the market will bear?   Let's remember, MU is not a for-profit organization.   

The Season Ticket Holders aren't cows to be milked for all they've got.  They are supporting athletics at MU, not just BBall, but all sports.  Not to mention the gigantic benefit the BB team has to MU's stature.  To raise prices to the point that these fans can "bear" is not a good choice.  They are part customer, part charitable donor, and should be treated as such.

The argument that any excess would end up with scalpers is .. weak sauce.  The scalper market is highly inefficient.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Did you purchase from one-legged Morry
outside of Goolsby's? Dude runs a good corporation.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »
You're awesome for taking the time to write that all up, brewcity.  Thanks a ton :)

+1000

(Because I know you're all worried about me), my family and I are jut going to keep our same seats on the aisle until the kids are older and no longer want anything to do with Mom and Dad.  Then the two of us will move to the lower bowl.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
I don't understand why the seats need mandatory donations at all.  I have to think there's a revenue-neutral way to eliminate the mandatory donations while keeping balance between current donations and prioritization of seating.  For example:

B&G Donors at the $500 level select their seats week 1 according to priority points,
Donors at the $300 level select week 2 according to PP,
Donors at the $100 level select week 3 according to PP,
Donors at the $50 level select week 4 according to PP,
All others select week 5 according to PP.

Of course, you can tighten the time frame for each, but since mandatory seat donations already count towards B&G donations (and vice versa), can't you just do away with them and have four or five separate re-seating "events?"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Seats getting more costly, can't pick them yourself, downgraded Big East=downgraded schedule=downgraded ESPN payments=higher need for more ticket revenue, coaching staff may not be the same .. bumpy road ahead for Marquette.

Lots of folks will be reconsidering continuing as season ticket holders.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
It sounds like they could also just remove the mandatory donation tied to the specific seats.  Just rely on general donations for the blue-gold fund and the point system.  Would people still give enough to keep up with the blue-gold points if it wasn't mandatory?  I suppose that's really the decision MU has to make to determine which way they would make the most money.

1) Keep the mandatory donations, but remove individual seat selection.
2) Eliminate mandatory donations, but keep individual seat selection.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
Would people still give enough to keep up with the blue-gold points if it wasn't mandatory?

No.

Do you really think the average fans in the lower bowl are going to give an extra $1,000+ per year just out of the goodness of their heart? Would you?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
The argument that any excess would end up with scalpers is .. weak sauce.  The scalper market is highly inefficient.

Really?  Have you used the Ticket Exchange process?  It's a couple of mouse clicks. You don't even have to physically mail the tickets. If Marquette tickets were sold well below market, people would buy all the tickets to which they were entitled and scalp the ones they weren't intending to use.

To have Marquette sell tickets for less than what they are worth is cheating the programs that rely on that revenue.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
And jsglow makes me sit in seat 5 (closer to the aisle) to make it easier for me to get him a beer.

Can you get me one -- across the way in 422??????

Thanks

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
No.

Do you really think the average fans in the lower bowl are going to give an extra $1,000+ per year just out of the goodness of their heart? Would you?
I agree. 99% of people would not. Some have said, just give the price in one total sum.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
Let's eliminate all this contributory crap and just go to Personal Seat Licenses ("PSLs"). The PSL is a license that exists forever that allows a season ticket holder to re-up his seats, as they stand today. The Packers did this with financing Lambeau Field; the Bears did it at Soldier Field; and, even the St. Louis Cardinals did it with Busch III.

Make 'em steep. $10,000 a seat and you sit NEXT TO BUZZ.

$100 and you're up in the corners!

You want your seats at courtside with Father Pilarz, well, then you have to pay for them, unless you become a Jesuit and befriend Father Pilarz.

Marquette gets the initial money but OOPs, the license holder makes money future. Wouldn't be prudent!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
No.

No, I agree with you.  But then they would theoretically get passed over faster by others that are making donations.  MU could also modify the point system to be weighted more heavily on donations.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
No.

Again... there has to be a revenue neutral way to do away with the mandatory donations.  The money is still being donated, and donors are still getting seating preferences. On the surface, nothing changes, but the details need to be worked out.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Seats getting more costly, can't pick them yourself, downgraded Big East=downgraded schedule=downgraded ESPN payments=higher need for more ticket revenue, coaching staff may not be the same .. bumpy road ahead for Marquette.

Lots of folks will be reconsidering continuing as season ticket holders.

This is exactly what has troubled me about the current leadership with everything over the last 2 years.  There is a whole mess of trouble brewing across a broad spectrum of areas that could create a very negative environment for MU basketball success and ultimately hurt the university as a whole if not very carefully navigated.  To date leadership seems unable to navigate these issues without punching their largest stakeholder in the face continually.  Not sure what the ivory tower is doing but I'm getting concerned.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »
Can you get me one -- across the way in 422??????

Thanks

For a fellow Purple Irishman, sure!
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
For a fellow Purple Irishman, sure!

Thanks. I'll remember that. I'm only at five to seven games a year.

Something to do with constantly traveling and never being home Monday to Friday. I'll look for the woman in the hot Father Ryan shirt next winter!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »
Thanks. I'll remember that. I'm only at five to seven games a year.

Something to do with constantly traveling and never being home Monday to Friday. I'll look for the woman in the hot Father Ryan shirt next winter!

I only wear the Blue and Gold in the BC.  Don't want anyone to mistake me for a colorblind Domer.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
Thanks Brew...the pdf certainly wasn't "leaked"...MU should be happy in the end it got out there so that explanations can be vetted here.  The letter in itself is not descriptive.  Anxious to see how this hits the Badgers.  That said, non-profits need to defend their status with full vigor in every instance, and a state effing with a federal donation accepted in every other state has little merit of standing up. 

While this is a work-around, it is ridiculous that a season ticket holder who doesn't donate gets to pick their seats while one who does, doesn't.  That puts MU in a precarious position.  One would think that MU would have collaborated with UW on this to band together. This won't go away.  The DOR will still come calling with their tin cup out.

I saw a cool app demo yesterday where Facebook marketplace hooked up with Ticketmaster...so when ordering your tickets, you can see where your Facebook friends are sitting.  Perhaps, this can be adapted for MU reseating to enable the "preference" seat selection for those who want to sit together.. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »
I am surprised no one has suggested taking this issue directly to Scott Walker.

I don't think anyone could argue that he is the former Marquette attendee (I am not getting into the whole alum debate) who has the most pull with WDOR.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
I did.   Just sayin.

I hear MU has an entire Law School on campus, too.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
Anyone know what the driver was behind the legislation change?  The state is still getting the revenue, people are still getting tax breaks.  It seems like it's legislation for legislation's sake.  (not a WI resident, so I haven't followed this at all)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
I talked to my boss (UW alum) who has season tix for UW football and he said UW already does this so nothing would need to change for their ticket selling practice.