[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upon Further Reflection...  (Read 4622 times)

wisblue

• All American
Re: Upon Further Reflection...
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2024, 03:48:01 PM »
Marquette in 1977 is not a good comparable to NC State this year.

MU started the season rated number 2 and was never lower than 12 until 3 straight losses dropped them to 18. Most of their losses were to ranked teams and they had a few wins over ranked teams.

There was never a question about making the tournament in the pre parity era until that 3 game streak, but they removed the doubt by winning the next 4, all against unranked opponents.

There was never a question that they were capable of beating anyone they might play in the tournament; they just had to do it.

They did get some breaks because most of the highest rated teams were eliminated before MU would have gotten to them.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2024, 05:02:25 PM »
Marquette in 1977 is not a good comparable to NC State this year.

MU started the season rated number 2 and was never lower than 12 until 3 straight losses dropped them to 18. Most of their losses were to ranked teams and they had a few wins over ranked teams.

There was never a question about making the tournament in the pre parity era until that 3 game streak, but they removed the doubt by winning the next 4, all against unranked opponents.

There was never a question that they were capable of beating anyone they might play in the tournament; they just had to do it.

They did get some breaks because most of the highest rated teams were eliminated before MU would have gotten to them.

Excellent counter to comparing MU in '77 and NC State today.

We got a big break in one of the games.  In Miracles on the Hardwood, Gasaway wrote about our buzzer beater win vs. UNC Charlotte. Did the ball leave Whitehead's hands before the clock expired? His quote from Al about the refs: "I argued so hard about the clock, because I didn't want them to get around to Jerome's hand being in the cylinder." McGuire would volunteer years later. We may have won in OT anyway, but I loved reading this. Vintage Al.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 05:05:31 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2024, 06:04:07 PM »
Snoop

MU was either ranked #1 or #2 in the preseason of '77. Poor regular season, but MU was the real deal that year.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2024, 06:10:06 PM »
In reality, I am not sure the roster this year was really strong enough to get to the FF. Yes, Tyler could work magic sometimes and Kam could be near unstoppable sometimes, but the team was not really very physical, especially on the boards. We all know that. But, even with their imperfections, they were a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

I loved Goose's comment above about MU basketball being a connection point for his family. The same thing has happened at our house. Great fun when your kids, neither of whom went to MU, know all the players' names and come over to watch the games.

I'm sorry this season ended badly, but there are 300 other teams that would love to have been in the Sweet 16.  I fully enjoyed the season and look forward to seeing what next season brings.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2024, 06:19:39 PM »
In reality, I am not sure the roster this year was really strong enough to get to the FF. Yes, Tyler could work magic sometimes and Kam could be near unstoppable sometimes, but the team was not really very physical, especially on the boards. We all know that. But, even with their imperfections, they were a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

The NC State and Alabama rosters are stronger than Marquette's?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2024, 07:17:37 PM »
True regarding Burns when considering just him. But the combo of him plus his teammates gave us trouble.

I saw that you stayed off Scoop for a while after the game. As a matter of self-discipline, I stay off at least 24 hours after a loss. Right after the game, I practiced a music score that requires a lot of attention to detail. I like to clear things like ..whatever the Hell that was...out of my head. Practicing the score was like a fire break.  :D

I stayed away until Monday morning. I'm a super-positive person, and I was pretty sure the vibe here would be anything but that. I actually was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few threads that weren't "They suck."

The only musical instrument I know how to play is the kazoo, so I couldn't go that route for peace of mind. Glad you settled your score!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2024, 08:16:34 PM »

I loved Goose's comment above about MU basketball being a connection point for his family. The same thing has happened at our house. Great fun when your kids, neither of whom went to MU, know all the players' names and come over to watch the games.

I'm sorry this season ended badly, but there are 300 other teams that would love to have been in the Sweet 16.  I fully enjoyed the season and look forward to seeing what next season brings.

One of the best posts I have read since our umm..."finale". I agree with almost all of the things you wrote except maybe the strength of our roster, so I will resist bolding anything. The last two seasons in particular have brought my Marquette alum brothers and sister-in-law, my BIL and sister, and my wife into our own Marquette fan club. I am the self-appointed president.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:47:24 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2024, 09:59:20 PM »
Random Trivial Reflections. Brewers have made the Playoffs 9 years. All 9 Years the team that beat the Brewers made the World Series.
Maquette got knocked out by Final Four Participants South Carolina in 2017 North Carolina in 2022 and North Carolina State in 2024.
Tyler was not out of the game against NCState long but when he was it seemed Marquette got down by about 10 more points. It is easy to arm chair QB and say Tyler should have played the whole Game as some players on other teams have recently but who knows.
All The #2 Seeds failed to make the Elite 8 this year. Am overall very happy Marquette made the Sweet 16
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:03:07 AM by MarquetteMike1977 »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2024, 10:05:30 PM »
Random Trivial Reflections. Brewers have made the Playoffs 9 years. All 9 Years the team that beat the Brewers made the World Series.
Maquette got knocked out by Final Four Participants South Carolina in 2019 North Carolina in 2022 and North Carolina State in 2024.
Tyler was not out of the game against NCState long but when he was it seemed Marquette got down by about 10 more points. It is easy to arm chair QB and say Tyler should have played the whole Game as some players on other teams have recently but who knows.
All The #2 Seeds failed to make the Elite 8 this year. Am overall very happy Marquette made the Sweet 16

Tennessee made the elite 8.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2024, 10:55:44 PM »
Tennessee made the elite 8.

Thank You for the correction. Am going blame that on my wife since she told me that about the Elite 8 but do not tell her I told you I blame her lol

I did tell Dwyane Wade our son beat his Dad last summer in Pop a Shot but told Dwyane not to tell his Dad. But Dwyane Wade jokingly said he was going to tell his Dad haha.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:02:14 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2024, 10:57:27 PM »
Thank You for the correction. Am going blame that on my wife since she told me that about the Elite 8 but do not tell her I told you I blame her lol

You could add that 2 number 1 seeds failed to make the Elite 8 this year.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2024, 11:03:09 PM »
You could add that 2 number 1 seeds failed to make the Elite 8 this year.

Yes agree.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2024, 08:13:42 AM »

Do you honestly believe that your wife will not find out somehow?  :D  You're screwed pal.

Many decades ago when I was at Marquette, the girls knew everything about who was dating who, the breakups, the two-timing, etc. No internet of course, but they did not need it. They had an info sharing structure that made Russia's KGB look like a bunch of amateurs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:19:17 AM by Scoop Snoop »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2024, 10:32:05 AM »
Writing this from the Charlotte airport as my wife and I await our flight to Phoenix.

We booked and paid for this trip about 6 months ago, and at the time I didn't even know the Final Four was in suburban Phoenix. Once I realized it was, I was excited about the possibility of seeing Marquette there.

So it's more than a little bittersweet that we're going and MU isn't. But, if I have to look for a silver lining, it did save us a ton of $$$ on game tickets.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2024, 10:53:39 AM »
Writing this from the Charlotte airport as my wife and I await our flight to Phoenix.

We booked and paid for this trip about 6 months ago, and at the time I didn't even know the Final Four was in suburban Phoenix. Once I realized it was, I was excited about the possibility of seeing Marquette there.

So it's more than a little bittersweet that we're going and MU isn't. But, if I have to look for a silver lining, it did save us a ton of $$$ on game tickets.

Yeah. And I was hoping to celebrate Marquette's win in the semis on my birthday this Saturday. It was the only present I wanted. I'm tempted to say that I would trade my BD for a semi W just like many scoopers were willing to trade our season for NC's FF, but that would mean that I would be permanently horizontal rather than vertical. And before Goose suggests that I "take one for the team", after you Goose. After you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2024, 10:57:11 AM »

It is a great economy. Go to the games!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2024, 11:03:24 AM »

It is a great economy. Go to the games!!

It is a good economy (you pot-stirrer, you) and we're gonna spend a ton on this trip. But we'll be enjoying the games in front of a good TV rather than through binoculars while sitting in a football stadium.

feedback