[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stack Ranking: NCAAB Accomplishments  (Read 2552 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Re: Stack Ranking: NCAAB Accomplishments
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2024, 11:18:07 PM »
You said that “no one remembers a random regular season” and I was addressing that.

I remember things about every season if I was around to follow it.

The thing that is unique about the NC State situation is that they didn’t even have a regular season good enough to get an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. That’s a pretty low bar for a team in a power conference that has ample opportunities to pick up quality wins and usually only has to win a few of them to get a bid.

Can anybody think of another power conference team in the 64/68 team field era that made the Final Four after such a dreary regular season?

No, you remember great games or great moments from a season but the success of the season itself was measured by did we make the tournament.  The success of the tournament is did we make the second weekend.  If you win the tournament or get the final four you have had the ultimate success in the tournament.  There is a reason most people here talk about 77 significantly more than 87, 97,2007,2017.  Each of those seasons had something.  For example, 1997 happens to be our first Conference Tournament Championship and only until 2023.  The regular season, our opponents, and brand of basketball were horrible.  What makes 97 better than 98?  We have a conference title and an NCAA Tournament appearance versus Deane flicking off Louisville and NIT.

2017 was "the thing" and losing to eventual Final Four participant South Carolina.  Would you put "The Thing" above Final four year?  I remember three googles from 2011 but care way more that was a sweet 16 year.  The regular season itself wasn't great.

No, that is what makes it so remarkable.  They played 5 straight games to win the ACC title and are tied for the lowest seed to ever make the final four.  Their head coach got an automatic two-year contract extension for that feat.

Yes, UCLA in 2021.  They barely made the tournament with a 17-9 record after getting bounced from the PAC12 Tournament in the first round.  They entered as another 11 seed and played the first four.  They went on to the Final Four. 

Last point, tournament appearances come with good regular seasons or a great conference tournament run. Final fours come with good regular season or a magical memorable run. You can’t honestly say you would take the same great regular season but be equally happy with a first round exit and a final four.  If you get to the final four all parts of your season came together.  Regular season + conference good enough. Tournament run amazing.  Even NCST had 11 of their 14 losses in conference but they weren’t run out of the building in any game. Worse loss was Duke by 15. If we go non-conf they lost to Tenn by 9 on a neutral court but the only blow out was Mississippi. So a lot of <8pts losses that were easily overcome by the FF and Conf Title.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:03:35 AM by BallBoy »

wisblue

• All American
Re: Stack Ranking: NCAAB Accomplishments
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 05:26:50 AM »
No, you remember great games or great moments from a season but the success of the season itself was measured by did we make the tournament.  The success of the tournament is did we make the second weekend.  If you win the tournament or get the final four you have had the ultimate success in the tournament.  There is a reason most people here talk about 77 significantly more than 87, 97,2007,2017.  Each of those seasons had something.  For example, 1997 happens to be our first Conference Tournament Championship and only until 2023.  The regular season, our opponents, and brand of basketball were horrible.  What makes 97 better than 98?  We have a conference title and an NCAA Tournament appearance versus Deane flicking off Louisville and NIT.

2017 was "the thing" and losing to eventual Final Four participant South Carolina.  Would you put "The Thing" above Final four year?  I remember three googles from 2011 but care way more that was a sweet 16 year.  The regular season itself wasn't great.

No, that is what makes it so remarkable.  They played 5 straight games to win the ACC title and are tied for the lowest seed to ever make the final four.  Their head coach got an automatic two-year contract extension for that feat.

Yes, UCLA in 2021.  They barely made the tournament with a 17-9 record after getting bounced from the PAC12 Tournament in the first round.  They entered as another 11 seed and played the first four.  They went on to the Final Four. 

Last point, tournament appearances come with good regular seasons or a great conference tournament run. Final fours come with good regular season or a magical memorable run. You can’t honestly say you would take the same great regular season but be equally happy with a first round exit and a final four.  If you get to the final four all parts of your season came together.  Regular season + conference good enough. Tournament run amazing.  Even NCST had 11 of their 14 losses in conference but they weren’t run out of the building in any game. Worse loss was Duke by 15. If we go non-conf they lost to Tenn by 9 on a neutral court but the only blow out was Mississippi. So a lot of <8pts losses that were easily overcome by the FF and Conf Title.

You’re telling me what YOU would remember. You can’t tell me what I remember. Can you at least be open minded enough to accept that this is an issue of personal preference?

When you equate making the Final Four with winning the championship by saying both are the “ultimate success” you have lost your credibility. I doubt if there is anyone here who would agree with you on that.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:28:44 AM by wisblue »