[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If not the last two years then when?  (Read 2037 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
If not the last two years then when?
« on: March 30, 2024, 07:55:03 AM »
Typically after a season ending loss I stay off the boards until the team starts practicing again in fall. The board for the most part is insufferable so I always stay away.

Today got me thinking if we cannot compete for a title with the players we had this year and last then when can we? The last two years the bracket opened up in our region both times and neither time did we take advantage of it.

Had we beat msu last year I fully believe we play UConn for the title. This year we lose to an 11 seed. To further expand the past two years the best seed Marquette beat was 10 Colorado. Yes they were underseeded but they were a 10 none the less. This is a hypothetical question and in no way implies any negative reaction toward Shaka. I just have a hard time believing with possibly 3 nba players on the roster that the sweet 16 was the ceiling.

Regardless I am proud of what the team has accomplished over the last two years. There will be growing pains next year but I expect them to still be competitive and in the top 5 of the big east if we can add a few portal players.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If not the last two years then when?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 08:09:47 AM »
I'm sure Nova fans wondered the same in 2010 when they lost in the second round worth Scottie Reynolds, Reggie Redding, and two McDonald's All-Americans.

Florida fans were asking the same in 2003 as they lost in the second round as a 2-seed and saw Matt Bonner & Justin Hamilton leave.

Virginia fans in 2016 that couldn't get to the F4 with Malcolm Brogdon and Anthony Gill.

Even Kansas fans were wondering if Self could do it when he lost with Wayne Simien and Keith Langford as a 3 in 2005.

None of this guarantees future success here, but if you consistently get high seeds and put together good teams, it increases the likelihood of breaking through. There's no reason what happened elsewhere can't happen here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:13:13 AM »
The ceiling of this team was the Final Four or better. They didn’t achieve it because of a nightmare shooting performance at the worst possible time.

Most of those 3s were good shots. Throw in a missed dunk and missed FTs and the better team is going home. And it sucks.

As for when this opportunity presents itself again, there’s no guarantee but I don’t think we’ll have to wait too long.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:14:52 AM »
I think Jay Wright's teams pretty consistently crap the bed in the tournament for years until he finally found a team that made it through that

We were hoping this years team would do that, and they didn't

We will be really good again, maybe even next year........but it is so disappointing when it is right there in your hands and you crap the bed.......again

Plus, this isn't a blue blood program, and with NIL and transfer portal basketball is chaning....so who knows what future will bring

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 08:30:57 AM »
I think Jay Wright's teams pretty consistently crap the bed in the tournament for years until he finally found a team that made it through that

We were hoping this years team would do that, and they didn't

We will be really good again, maybe even next year........but it is so disappointing when it is right there in your hands and you crap the bed.......again

Plus, this isn't a blue blood program, and with NIL and transfer portal basketball is chaning....so who knows what future will bring

I am not sure what a blue blood is.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 08:35:54 AM »
I’ll sound like a broken record, but for me this is just the latest example of why putting so much emotional emphasis on the results of a one and done tournament is generally going to be a losing proposition.

I’m as down as any other fan today, especially when I see how upset my alumni/fanatic daughters are. But if you let the tournament losses largely outweigh the positives of any season,  you’re in for a miserable existence as a fan.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 08:36:31 AM »
After we graduated Wes, Jerel & Dom — arguably our greatest class — we went to three S16s & an E8.

I know Shaka will get us to a Final Four, I’m disgusted that Tyler won’t be on those teams. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 08:42:15 AM »
I’m a firm believer in Shaka and MU’s future. 3 for 3 in the NCAA tournament, 3 wins. The players that got us here were not huge recruits. They developed.  The fact is that they had an awful shooting night. The only other time they were this bad was against Butler (5-31). Every great program has awful losses; that’s just sports. This wasn’t the “ceiling “ just because they missed shots.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 08:42:19 AM »
Watching how it played out do you really think this was the roster that should’ve reached a final four? Title game? Won it all?

With the benefit of hindsight this roster had some pretty big flaws so I definitely don’t feel the “if not now, when?” sentiment. I expect Shaka to have more complete teams than this one.
No Finish Line

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 08:45:02 AM »
After we graduated Wes, Jerel & Dom — arguably our greatest class — we went to three S16s & an E8.

I know Shaka will get us to a Final Four, I’m disgusted that Tyler won’t be on those teams.

Yep. And for all the bullsh*t on here about legacies and not making it past the Sweet 16...

Those three never made it out of the first weekend. No one questions their importance to the program.

Way too much being a prisoner of the moment here.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 08:45:34 AM »
I’ll sound like a broken record, but for me this is just the latest example of why putting so much emotional emphasis on the results of a one and done tournament is generally going to be a losing proposition.

I’m as down as any other fan today, especially when I see how upset my alumni/fanatic daughters are. But if you let the tournament losses largely outweigh the positives of any season,  you’re in for a miserable existence as a fan.

Sometimes a little time and distance is necessary. I’m thrilled at what this team accomplished over the last two seasons.

But it hurts when you have a special team and it feels like a massive opportunity slipped away. Right now I don’t feel like watching another game the rest of the tourney.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 09:26:29 AM »
Typically after a season ending loss I stay off the boards until the team starts practicing again in fall. The board for the most part is insufferable so I always stay away.

Today got me thinking if we cannot compete for a title with the players we had this year and last then when can we? The last two years the bracket opened up in our region both times and neither time did we take advantage of it.

Had we beat msu last year I fully believe we play UConn for the title. This year we lose to an 11 seed. To further expand the past two years the best seed Marquette beat was 10 Colorado. Yes they were underseeded but they were a 10 none the less. This is a hypothetical question and in no way implies any negative reaction toward Shaka. I just have a hard time believing with possibly 3 nba players on the roster that the sweet 16 was the ceiling.

Regardless I am proud of what the team has accomplished over the last two years. There will be growing pains next year but I expect them to still be competitive and in the top 5 of the big east if we can add a few portal players.

2 years ago at this, coming off a 30 something point loss in the first round and losing 3 of our best players/starters, time did you think Tyler would become an All American? Oso an All Conference player? We’d win the BE regular season and Tournament the very next year? We’d be a 2 seed in back to back years?

If you mean, “if we didn’t win a national title this year or last then when?” The answer is and probably has been since the calendar turned to 1980, “never.” But that’s the reality for 95% of college basketball programs.

We’ll be competitive as long as Shaka is here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 09:32:25 AM »
This is what gets me the morning after. Looking at this roster as is, we won't be back, we won't be better - this will be a reloading year but not sure we have any stars up and coming.

Our 'next in line' guys (Chase, Ben, Jop) showed in spurts, but aren't going to replace Kolek's playmaking. Sean won't be himself all of next year, if he plays at all.

We conceptually have more size, maybe that has us weather a shooting night like last night. Who knows if that size will be functional - shooting certainly looks like a weakness without a clear answer.

Next years team will be completely Shaka's, and you see it in terms of just how physical this team is shaping up to be. But after last night, I'm dubious that the puzzle pieces are there to build anything close to what we thought we would get this year. And given how little Shaka played those pieces, maybe he's not sure either.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 10:02:22 AM »
The key is to be good for a long time and have many bites at the apple.  There's always going to be an element of luck.

1) Avoid injuries
2) Avoid an ice cold shooting night
3) Avoid a red hot shooting opponent
4) Win a close game by making a buzzer beater/opponent misses buzzer beater

The key going forward is to build off of the success of the last two seasons.  We know Shaka has the system.  Top 10 offense last year, top 25 offense and top 20 defense this year.

We've seen the player development.  Not everyone will develop like Kolek, O-Max, Oso, and Kam but over time Shaka should develop enough good players.

2025 is going to be a key recruiting year.  Get 3-4 of the priority recruits (James, Lewis, Stevens, Batemon, Odih, and Miletic).  These players combined with Norman, Lowery, Owens, and Parham would give us a strong core for the future.  Hamilton and Amadou are projects, so if even one develops it would be a bonus.

And I'm well aware of the portal factor.  Some promising prospects will leave at some point.  And we'll wait and see how much Shaka adds from the portal in the future.

At any rate, I'm very excited for the Shaka era.  Sure, the last two years ended in incredible disappointment.  But life's too short to lament past failures.  I'm optimistic Shaka will continue to build and take Marquette to a higher level.  Keep stacking success and keep getting closer to the mountain top.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 10:04:49 AM »
Chase will continue to develop. Ben will continue to develop. Zaide and Tre too. They could surprise you. We may not be as bad as everyone thinks.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2024, 10:08:22 AM »
What I'm most interested in is how they vary the attack. Will it be more iso heavy? More set actions? Will PNR feature so heavily?

A lot of what they did offensively was dictated by Tyler and Oso's skillsets. If the template stays the same, how do the returning guys fill those shoes? Or does he do what Buzz did after the big three graduated and change things to fit personnel?

It's gonna be bumpy at times but I'm very interested to see what happens.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 10:11:29 AM »
I remember Buzz using the phrase "keep throwing good pitches" .. Marquette does that. 

Lots in their favor, facilities, willingness to spend, Shaka is a seasoned coach, etc, etc.

The only explanation left is that the program .. has some kind of curse on it that causes end-of-season suffering.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 10:26:51 AM »
If Nevada is still here, the offensive themes and schemes will be similar.   More 5 out with Ben.  Still picking, still rolling, still near constant movement and screening.
 until there is an open 3 or a lane to drive.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 12:11:56 PM »
Watching how it played out do you really think this was the roster that should’ve reached a final four? Title game? Won it all?

I expect Shaka to have more complete teams than this one.

I sincerely hope that you are correct.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2024, 12:50:08 PM »

With the benefit of hindsight this roster had some pretty big flaws so I definitely don’t feel the “if not now, when?” sentiment. I expect Shaka to have more complete teams than this one.

I concur.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 02:28:53 PM »
This team was unique and special, but not the ‘76 Indiana Hoosiers. If clicking on all cylinders they could beat any team in the country and that was the beauty of the last two years. That said, there were things that I could criticize about the make up of the team and I chose not to. I believe better teams are coming our way.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2024, 08:13:19 PM »
I concur.
I concur on the expectation of more complete rosters but have not seen the evidence.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2024, 12:27:33 PM »
This thread is rare on that I agree with most of it. 

I am 100% a Shaka guy. Love the dude.

The lat two years have been an absolute blast. So fun to watch. Such great culture and such great people.

It is just so disappointing that this team couldn’t get past the S16. 

Next year is going to be a significant step back unless a true and highly skilled point guard joins us through the portal. 
If that doesn’t happen I’ll trust Shaka and stick with the team through a rebuild year. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 12:35:18 PM »
This thread is rare on that I agree with most of it. 

I am 100% a Shaka guy. Love the dude.

The lat two years have been an absolute blast. So fun to watch. Such great culture and such great people.

It is just so disappointing that this team couldn’t get past the S16. 

Next year is going to be a significant step back unless a true and highly skilled point guard joins us through the portal. 
If that doesn’t happen I’ll trust Shaka and stick with the team through a rebuild year.

Pretty sure Shaka does not plan for “rebuilds”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 01:02:02 PM »
I don't think next year will be a rebuild. Tournament bound.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2024, 01:31:38 PM »
This team was unique and special, but not the ‘76 Indiana Hoosiers. If clicking on all cylinders they could beat any team in the country and that was the beauty of the last two years. That said, there were things that I could criticize about the make up of the team and I chose not to. I believe better teams are coming our way.

They were not the 1977 Marquette Warriors either! I agree with Goose completely. Great team. Great guys. Fought like hell every day.

For you who think the moment has passed, your nuts. It’s only the beginning of what we are going to feel for a long, long time.

I feel for Tyler but he will be for this generation what George Thompson was for mine!

We are Marquette! Get used to hearing it because we ain’t going away!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 01:51:33 PM »
dgies

TK will be George Thompson for this generation. He is the guy that got a long run of high level basketball started at MU. Much brighter days are ahead for this program.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2024, 02:36:29 PM »
dgies

TK will be George Thompson for this generation. He is the guy that got a long run of high level basketball started at MU. Much brighter days are ahead for this program.
My life expectancy is roughly 15-20 years.  More if I clean things up. Goose if I should expire before a title make sure to visit my grave and share the victory.  It’ll be next door to O’Donoghue’s

Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2024, 02:42:19 PM »
Sir

Fingers crossed that we get one while we both are here. If it happens and you are no longer here, you have my word on that. I think I know where O’Donoghue’s is located.
Happy Easter to you and the family.