[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 96180 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Illinois
« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
There's no reason that Pritzker shouldn't begin to open up certain parts of the state, as other states are doing.  First, half of the "Covid" deaths are in nursing homes.  That doesn't affect the rest of the population that needs to get to work.  Yes, it's a HUGE problem in nursing homes that needs to be resolved!  So, spend money helping the nursing homes disinfect, isolate, etc.

This is what Sweden has been trying to do. The results have been disastrous. You can't entirely isolate nursing home, especially not without sufficient testing and contact tracing. Nursing homes need nurses and doctors and physical therapists and occupational therapists and orderlies and custodians and food service workers and more. You can't isolate all these people and we lack the capability to consistently test and trace them.

Second, dissociate Cook County from the rest of the State. 

So, what do you do? Build a wall to prevent someone living in the Cook County portion of Buffalo Grove from going out to eat in the Lake County portion? How do you stop someone from Evanston from attending a party in Lake Forest, or someone from LaGrange going to a bar in Downers Grove?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:34:57 PM by Pakuni »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
This is what Sweden has been trying to do. The results have been disastrous. You can't entirely isolate nursing home, especially not without sufficient testing and contact tracing. Nursing homes need nurses and doctors and physical therapists and occupational therapists and orderlies and custodians and food service workers and more. You can't isolate all these people and we lack the capability to consistently test and trace them.

So, what do you do? Build a wall to prevent someone living in the Cook County portion of Buffalo Grove from going out to eat in the Lake County portion? How do you stop someone from Evanston from attending a party in Lake Forest, or someone from LaGrange going to a bar in Downers Grove?
Not to mention all the people who commute for work in/out of Cook County. Shut down Metra at the county lines?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »
Dr. Robert Murphy, who appears on WGN TV every morning, was asked about DuPage County being separated from Cook County this morning, and basically dismissed the idea out of hand. Clearly he sees it be metro area as one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »
Dr. Robert Murphy, who appears on WGN TV every morning, was asked about DuPage County being separated from Cook County this morning, and basically dismissed the idea out of hand. Clearly he sees it be metro area as one.

I agree with this assessment. Not sure about including Mchenry and Kane etc which aren't as closely linked but in the least will, dupage, and lake should remain closed with cook.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »
I agree with this assessment. Not sure about including Mchenry and Kane etc which aren't as closely linked but in the least will, dupage, and lake should remain closed with cook.

Right. If you're in the far reaches of McHenry or Kane (like, not Elgin or Aurora), you've got a reasonable case, but I don't see how you separate Cook entirely from the region.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 12, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »
Right. If you're in the far reaches of McHenry or Kane (like, not Elgin or Aurora), you've got a reasonable case, but I don't see how you separate Cook entirely from the region.

It just blew my mind that Elgin and aurora were in Kane county. Never knew that
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #406 on: May 12, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
It just blew my mind that Elgin and aurora were in Kane county. Never knew that

Aurora is also in DuPage and Will.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 12, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »

So DuPage and cook burbs aren't good enough to have an opinion on Chicago, but Chicago can f us over completely?

;)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
So DuPage and cook burbs aren't good enough to have an opinion on Chicago, but Chicago can f us over completely?

;)

Wow a reference to what like a 6 or 7yr old post, impressive. Kudos to you sir! And yes, just for consistency lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 12, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
Aurora is also in DuPage and Will.

And a portion of Elgin is in Cook.
That's one problem with doing this county by county. Many suburbs cross county borders (off the top of my head, Barrington, Naperville, Buffalo Grove, Aurora, Elgin, Bartlett, Hinsdale, Bensenville, Algonquin, Huntley ... sure I'm missing a bunch).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
NM
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2020, 04:58:52 PM »
There's no reason that Pritzker shouldn't begin to open up certain parts of the state, as other states are doing.  First, half of the "Covid" deaths are in nursing homes.  That doesn't affect the rest of the population that needs to get to work.  Yes, it's a HUGE problem in nursing homes that needs to be resolved!  So, spend money helping the nursing homes disinfect, isolate, etc.  Second, dissociate Cook County from the rest of the State.  Cook County has 67.5% of all Covid cases in Illinois and 68% of all "Covid" deaths.  That doesn't mean the rest of the State shouldn't be allowed to start opening up.  Third, stop including certain deaths in the definition of "people dying of Covid". 

"The case definition is very simplistic.  It means, at the time of death, it was a COVID positive diagnosis.  That means, that if you were in hospice and has already been given a few weeks to live, and then you were also found to have COVID, it means, technically even if you died of clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed a sa COVID death.  Everyone who is listed as a COVID death, doesn't mean that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID At the time of death.  I hope that's helpful." -Dr. Ngozi Ezike, Director of Illinois Department of Public Health

Cheeks,

I believe that Pritzker has already hinted that the rest of the state may open up soon (he said something along the lines of 'three of the four IL regions are doing okay', with the fourth region being Northeastern IL, which encompasses the Chicago MSA).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2020, 05:05:19 PM »
Cheeks,

I believe that Pritzker has already hinted that the rest of the state may open up soon (he said something along the lines of 'three of the four IL regions are doing okay', with the fourth region being Northeastern IL, which encompasses the Chicago MSA).

Correct. He's said that three of the four regions are well on track for moving into the next phase when the current stay-at-home ends and even the NE region has a shot at it, depending on how things go these next couple of weeks.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
Illinois is broken down into 11 reopening regions

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
Illinois is broken down into 11 reopening regions

Those 11 are the IDPH's previously created Emergency Service Zones.
For purposes of the phased reopening, Prtizker consolidated those 11 regions into four zones: Northeast, North Central, Central and Southern.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #415 on: May 12, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
Cheeks,

I get that he’s laid out that plan.  I personally think he can open up some things in the collar counties though earlier than he’s thinking.  I’m an essential business but I’ve got a lot of clients who are and will be shut down for far too long.   Some of the restrictions that Evers is implementing could be used in the collar counties to allow some businesses to operate.

And bl0w me on the Cheeks thing.   
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #416 on: May 12, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »
Wow a reference to what like a 6 or 7yr old post, impressive. Kudos to you sir! And yes, just for consistency lol

That long ago??  Well crap I've gotten old.  Haha.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #417 on: May 12, 2020, 08:33:33 PM »
Those 11 are the IDPH's previously created Emergency Service Zones.
For purposes of the phased reopening, Prtizker consolidated those 11 regions into four zones: Northeast, North Central, Central and Southern.

Oh unnatural carnal knowledge this crap then.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #418 on: May 12, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
This is what Sweden has been trying to do. The results have been disastrous.

You are correct that initially Sweden didn’t do a very good job with their nursing home patients - but my understanding is that their results recently have improved greatly. How do their “disastrous” results compare to Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York and others in the US?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #419 on: May 12, 2020, 10:47:36 PM »
You are correct that initially Sweden didn’t do a very good job with their nursing home patients - but my understanding is that their results recently have improved greatly. How do their “disastrous” results compare to Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York and others in the US?
The results in NY, Illinois and Pennsylvania have been disastrous.  Any time a disease sweeps in and kills tens of thousands of people in a couple of months, it's a disaster.

That said, Sweden's death rate is markedly higher than that of the US (and similar to Illinois and Pennsylvania) despite a host of advantages - healthier population, less poverty, less dense population centers, less international travel, better access to care, more single households, etc. In that context, I'd say their results are disastrous in comparison.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Sweden:

"Sweden will adjust a key corner of its strategy for dealing with Covid-19, after the death rate at care homes spiraled out of control."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-infection-rate-drops-in-denmark-after-lockdown-relaxed

All that said, even the biggest Sweden cheerleaders have the intellectual honesty to admit any attempt to compare the US to Sweden - much less New York to Sweden - is asinine.
Comparing Sweden to its Nordic neighbors, on the other hand, makes sense. Should we go there again?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:52:20 PM by Pakuni »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #420 on: May 13, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
Entire thread devoted to it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #421 on: May 13, 2020, 09:29:03 AM »
I get that he’s laid out that plan.  I personally think he can open up some things in the collar counties though earlier than he’s thinking.  I’m an essential business but I’ve got a lot of clients who are and will be shut down for far too long.   Some of the restrictions that Evers is implementing could be used in the collar counties to allow some businesses to operate.

And bl0w me on the Cheeks thing.

Congratulations and get in line on the blowing.  I have first dibs.  Do you think we all get a Cheeks badge for wrongly being accused of him by these people? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #422 on: May 13, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »
The results in NY, Illinois and Pennsylvania have been disastrous.  Any time a disease sweeps in and kills tens of thousands of people in a couple of months, it's a disaster.

That said, Sweden's death rate is markedly higher than that of the US (and similar to Illinois and Pennsylvania) despite a host of advantages - healthier population, less poverty, less dense population centers, less international travel, better access to care, more single households, etc. In that context, I'd say their results are disastrous in comparison.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Sweden:

"Sweden will adjust a key corner of its strategy for dealing with Covid-19, after the death rate at care homes spiraled out of control."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/covid-infection-rate-drops-in-denmark-after-lockdown-relaxed

All that said, even the biggest Sweden cheerleaders have the intellectual honesty to admit any attempt to compare the US to Sweden - much less New York to Sweden - is asinine.
Comparing Sweden to its Nordic neighbors, on the other hand, makes sense. Should we go there again?

This is wrong.  You are selectively picking which experts you want to use.  You could have used many others but you didn’t because their intellectual honesty that you have determined what that is, doesn’t match with your belief outcome.

Maybe Sweden is wrong, maybe they are right.  No one will know for many more months and to claim they are disastrous now in the time cycle is like saying the team lost the game and we are still in the second inning.

Sweden took a huge hit with their nursing homes which they admitted out of the gate and have corrected.  It took our governors and local leaders until this weekend in many cases to do the same.  What a tragedy.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #423 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
Congratulations and get in line on the blowing.  I have first dibs.  Do you think we all get a Cheeks badge for wrongly being accused of him by these people?

bahhahahahahhahaha

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »

This is wrong.  You are selectively picking which experts you want to use.  You could have used many others but you didn’t because their intellectual honesty that you have determined what that is, doesn’t match with your belief outcome. 

What are you on about?
Are you saying there are experts out there saying Sweden is comparable to New York and Pennsylvania? If so, please point them out.
As we all know, you're the same guy who two weeks ago said Sweden should be compared to its Nordic neighbors. Now? Apparently not so much.

Sweden took a huge hit with their nursing homes which they admitted out of the gate and have corrected.  It took our governors and local leaders until this weekend in many cases to do the same.  What a tragedy.

This is flat out false. If you'd read the link I provided (not a surprise ... you don't even read the links you provide), you'd see that Sweden didn't start to adjust its policy until yesterday.
What a tragedy.

And sorry, Tower, just responding to posts directed toward me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:11:02 AM by Pakuni »

feedback