[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Skipping the big game  (Read 15041 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Skipping the big game
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »
I feel like this is the same as the NIL debate. People are maki the exception into the norm. I don’t follow closely enough, but are non-first round picks skipping bowls?

People make it sound like these bowls are featuring walkons against each other.

Coaches also have their new employer pay the buyout more often than not. So not sure how big of a penalty that is.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
I feel like this is the same as the NIL debate. People are maki the exception into the norm. I don’t follow closely enough, but are non-first round picks skipping bowls?

Absolutely.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »

Coaches also have their new employer pay the buyout more often than not. So not sure how big of a penalty that is.

And new employers are scared off if that new penalty is too high, but to hear some speak its as if any coach at any time can just get up on Tuesday, walk down to the corner coaching store and get a better gig whenever they want. 

And yes, more than just first rounders are skipping bowls games. 

I say all of this in a good natured way. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »

It's definitely the exception and not the norm.

Having said that, sure, even some non-stars who care about their financial futures are skipping bowls. They have every right to do so ... just as they have every right to play in them; I wouldn't criticize them for that, either.

As you state, a buyout is absolutely no deterrent to a coach leaving. A buyout clause simply guarantees money for the school if the coach leaves. The new school pays the buyout almost every time. (I can't think of a recent example in which the new school didn't, but maybe there are examples out there, so I won't say it as an absolute.)

The App State coach bolted a couple weeks before his school's bowl game to take the job at Mizzou. He had only completed his first season at App State and had several years left on his contract. Nobody should begrudge him that. It's a better job, and he would be foolish not to secure a better financial future for himself and his family. But he is no more or less "disloyal" than an athlete who does the same, IMHO.

Again, Jim Chones left a Marquette team in the middle of a season -- one that many thought would have resulted in a national title had he stayed. His coach, Al McGuire, strongly backed the move; indeed, McGuire insisted on it. Why? Because McGuire wanted Chones to take care of his financial future.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
Having said that, sure, even some non-stars who care about their financial futures are skipping bowls.

Where do you - if anywhere - draw the line? What if they care about their financial future so they quit 10 games in? Only bowls are OK, or is it much deeper than that?

It’s their right? Sure, anyone can say eff a contract, but there are remedies. Kids in this situation have a huge advantage BC iof the negative press aspect.

If a kid has a great first four weeks, are you supportive and praising of a kid quitting the team?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
Where do you - if anywhere - draw the line? What if they care about their financial future so they quit 10 games in? Only bowls are OK, or is it much deeper than that?

It’s their right? Sure, anyone can say eff a contract, but there are remedies. Kids in this situation have a huge advantage BC iof the negative press aspect.

If a kid has a great first four weeks, are you supportive and praising of a kid quitting the team?

This is just a slippery slope argument that has no real life examples as far as I know. Bowl games, due to taking place after the semester ends and weeks after the regular season, are a unique outlier that don’t exist in other sports.

If a player wanted to quit four weeks in, that’s fine. But I wouldn’t  blame the school for rescinding their GIA and charging him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 08:01:31 PM »
This is just a slippery slope argument that has no real life examples as far as I know. Bowl games, due to taking place after the semester ends and weeks after the regular season, are a unique outlier that don’t exist in other sports.

If a player wanted to quit four weeks in, that’s fine. But I wouldn’t  blame the school for rescinding their GIA and charging him.

So it’s OK to rescind early on in the season, but not later?

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2019, 08:12:53 PM »
So it’s OK to rescind early on in the season, but not later?

As I understand the rule, schools can’t rescind after the semester ends. Since most (all?) bowl games are played when schools are not in session, I don’t schools have any recourse.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
As I understand the rule, schools can’t rescind after the semester ends. Since most (all?) bowl games are played when schools are not in session, I don’t schools have any recourse.

You’re not answering the question (or typing English). I’m asking if you’re OK with kids quitting late in the season, or mid-season?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
This has been discussed numerous times on Scoop already. But sure, we can discuss it again.

And you're right ... your example is apples to yoga pants.

If you want apples to apples, compare sitting out one of tonight's college football playoff games to sitting out an NCAA
basketball tournament game

It hasn't happened. It likely won't happen. Because those games all matter, and these athletes want to win championships.

Al McGuire has been deified by some Scoopers for gallantly ordering Chones to quit on a legitimate championship contender so Chones could  take care of himself financially.

What these football players are doing is skipping a glorified exhibition game so they don't ruin their financial future. There is at least one example of a top-50 draft prospect - Michigan's Jake Butt 3 years ago - who chose to play a non-playoff bowl game, got hurt, and it cost him millions and millions of dollars.

That same year, McCaffrey and Fournette skipped their bowl games, and took some heat for it, but they are making big bucks. McCaffrey has gone on to be one of the best players in the NFL.

That's capitalism, baby!

You want to claw back their scholarships? That's actually not all that unreasonable ... but try selling it to future recruits, unless it becomes a national policy (which it won't).

What do their teammates think? Well, all we can go by are the public comments of extreme support for guys like McCaffrey and Fournette. Maybe some resent it, but I have not seen or heard that kind of reaction.

What if guys start to skip 5 or 10 or 20 college games (depending on the sport)? Well, what if? Chones did just that, and his teammates and coaches endorsed it (as do many Scoopers now).

10-15 years into a dentist's career, he or she is just starting to make real money. Most pro athletes don't have careers half (or even a quarter) that long. They have to protect their earning power when they can and maximize it as early as they realistically can.

Have a nice night.

Thanks, Mike, for this oasis of common sense in a desert of  mean spirited insanity. And BTW, I don’t address you as “Mike” to be a dick or to “doxx” you. I do it as a sign of familiarity and friendship. Unlike you know who. If you’re offended (LOL) just let me know.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
You’re not answering the question (or typing English). I’m asking if you’re OK with kids quitting late in the season, or mid-season?

Yes. If Markus wanted to leave the program tomorrow to prepare on his own for the NBA draft, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. He’s an adult making what he thinks is the best decision for his future. Really no different than a mid year transfer.

And if it happened mid semester, I wouldn’t blame Marquette for rescinding his GIA.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:45:42 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
Thanks, Mike, for this oasis of common sense in a desert of  mean spirited insanity. And BTW, I don’t address you as “Mike” to be a dick or to “doxx” you. I do it as a sign of familiarity and friendship. Unlike you know who. If you’re offended (LOL) just let me know.

Namedropper
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »
Yes. If Markus wanted to leave the program tomorrow to prepare on his own for the NBA draft, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. He’s an adult making what he thinks is the best decision for his future. Really no different than a mid year transfer.

And if it happened mid semester, I wouldn’t blame Marquette for rescinding his GIA.

Cool, dude. Let’s enter some into done contracts as counterparties. This is goooone b gr8

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »

I guess I draw the line the same place Jim Chones did and Lou Holtz did and Eli Drinkwitz did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
Cool, dude. Let’s enter some into done contracts as counterparties. This is goooone b gr8

Uh...who wouldn’t be abiding by their contractural obligations if Markus left tomorrow?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
Uh...who wouldn’t be abiding by their contractural obligations if Markus left tomorrow?

Markus

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »
Markus

Nope. Second semester hasn’t started. No benefit gained by Markus. Therefore no compensation to be paid back.

Interesting how people like to only point out the contractural language when it benefits them, but ignore it when it doesn’t.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »
Nope. Second semester hasn’t started. No benefit gained by Markus. Therefore no compensation to be paid back.

Interesting how people like to only point out the contractural language when it benefits them, but ignore it when it doesn’t.

He has been given a year long scholarship. It could be cut in half. Stop lying, dipcrap.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »
He has been given a year long scholarship. It could be cut in half. Stop lying, dipcrap.

Please quote the contract language that bars an athlete from choosing to stop playing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »

This goes to the question I asked earlier...so you do believe there is a window for a sport that crosses class periods to opt out....it seems you do anyway.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2019, 04:47:03 AM »
Please quote the contract language that bars an athlete from choosing to stop playing.

Who said “barred”? An SA *can* do a lot of things. The question is whether there is a related remedy.

The NCAA Bylaws provide a remedy for an institution when an SA chooses to stop playing.

It also provides a remedy if an SA is convicted of murder.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »

Lenny Man, he goes bye Nads, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2019, 07:30:55 AM »

False.  The terms of the contract allow him to leave early with compensation provided to the school if the athlete leaves for personal reasons, or via transfer if they submitted paperwork.  Implicit in the NCAA bylaw is that an athete may leave in between semesters with no compensation provided.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:37:04 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
False.  The terms of the contract allow him to leave early with compensation provided to the school if the athlete leaves for personal reasons, or via transfer if they submitted paperwork.  Implicit in the NCAA bylaw is that an athete may leave in between semesters with no compensation provided.

Norby, Markus has a scholarship for the 2019-20 academic year. If he quit the team  tomorrow, the school could drop the scholarship. C’mon bub

feedback