[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Patent Office Cancels Washington "Redskins" Trademark Registration  (Read 24757 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Says a trademark should never been issued as "redskin" is by definition disparaging to Native Americans.

GGGG

• All American
"The record establishes that, at a minimum, approximately thirty percent of Native Americans found the term REDSKINS used in connection with respondent's services to be disparaging at all times including 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978 and 1990. Section 2(a) prohibits registration of matter that disparages a substantial composite, which need not be a majority, of the referenced group. Thirty percent is without doubt a substantial composite. To determine otherwise means it is acceptable to subject to disparagement 1 out of every 3 individuals, or as in this case approximately 626,095 out of 1,878,285 in 1990."

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
"..... approximately 626,095 out of 1,878,285 in 1990."

Approximately?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:44:37 AM by ttheisen »

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
LOL. 

Good to see Obama Administration doing their thing at the US Patent Office.  Good to see Chuck Todd today say his presidency is over as his ratings are so bad, even rated as more incompetent than the previous clown which is saying something.

I'd like to see the data they came up with, or is it lost forever with hard drive crashes over at IRS US Patent Office.  Seems the least we can expect from the most transparent administration in history.

Appeal coming....this will take years.

What's even greater is all the numbskulls that think this has a monetary impact.  They should study up on the revenue sharing of the merchandise sales with the NFL.  Drop in the bucket.  Snyder could sell 0 items and he gets an equal share of the other 30 clubs merchandise sales since they all go into one bucket. 

GGGG

• All American
Again, *you* are the one that makes it political.

Every.  Single.  Time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Again, *you* are the one that makes it political.

Every.  Single.  Time.

As if you don't think this ruling is political.  LOL.  How naive are you?

MUfan12

• All American

No kidding.

GGGG

• All American

I didn't say it wasn't.  But you are the one that (again) brought up politics.

Every.  Single.  Time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
lolz.

No kidding.

A US Gov't that can't get Health Care estimates within $900 billion correctly.   Isn't sure if there are 8 million or 28 million illegal aliens in the country, can't manage to quantify how many $500 hammers are sold, but has that specificity on this item.  It is absolutely laughable.

What's even better, in 1990 the total Native American population in this country was slightly over 2.3 million, not 1.8M and yet we are led to believe that the US Patent office someone was notified by 626K of them.  LOL.  More like extrapolation data.

Coleman

• All American
Re: US Patent Office Cancels Washington "Redskins" Trademark Registration
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »

I didn't say it wasn't.  But you are the one that (again) brought up politics.

Every.  Single.  Time.

+1

Chicos, can you have two avatars, one with all of the political BS you spew, and one that just posts the actually constructive and informative stuff about MU, so I can block the first one?

Thanks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »
No kidding.

A US Gov't that can't get Health Care estimates within $900 billion correctly.   Isn't sure if there are 8 million or 28 million illegal aliens in the country, can't manage to quantify how many $500 hammers are sold, but has that specificity on this item.  It is absolutely laughable.

What's even better, in 1990 the total Native American population in this country was slightly over 2.3 million, not 1.8M and yet we are led to believe that the US Patent office someone was notified by 626K of them.  LOL.  More like extrapolation data.

Actually in your zeal to make (YET MORE!!!!) political points, you would see that they survey data was provided by "the respondent."  IOW, the Redskins.

So maybe you could stop deflecting with political talking points, and actually address the issues at hand.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
so if the NFL can't stop bootleg Redskins memorabilia sales now, how much pressure will they put on Snyder for a change? every team will suffer some loss right?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »

Even though the case was filed in 2006.  But okay, you are right.

And of course, the commissioner of trademarks, you would imagine is some kind of stooge of the administration. 

http://www.uspto.gov/about/bios/cohn_bio.jsp

But wait, she was worked there since 1983, and in a leadership position for the past 8 years.

C'mon, do you literally fly off the handle at every article that comes out?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

It happened in Washington. At a government agency. Of course it's political. But what does it have to do with Obama's approval rating, the IRS scandal or the transparency (or lack thereof) of his administration? Nothing. Just an excuse for another of your rants. Nice that you got all ecumenical and called Bush a clown as well. You're an equal opportunity hater - something to be very proud of.

You're an expert on everything that is wrong with your fellow citizens. Hypocrites all, democrats, republicans, independents. You proudly throw away your vote, strangely confusing nihilism with principal. Never served your country but an expert on what ails her. Hate the last half of the 20th century and all of the 21st? Fine, take all of that hate to some survivalist camp in Idaho or wherever - despite your constant diatribes to the contrary it's still a free country. Word of caution - very few "Look at Me" opportunities available in the back country, but on the bright side maybe you can finish your manifesto.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
I'm just as critical about the politicization/polarization of gov't as the next wacko, but this decision was not influenced by the White House.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
strangely confusing nihilism with principal.

Bakunin was the head of Chico's school or just a man without hope for the future??

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
No kidding.

A US Gov't that can't get Health Care estimates within $900 billion correctly.   Isn't sure if there are 8 million or 28 million illegal aliens in the country, can't manage to quantify how many $500 hammers are sold, but has that specificity on this item.  It is absolutely laughable.

What's even better, in 1990 the total Native American population in this country was slightly over 2.3 million, not 1.8M and yet we are led to believe that the US Patent office someone was notified by 626K of them.  LOL.  More like extrapolation data.

Umm, I wasn't agreeing with you. I was laughing at the "approximately" part since it gave an expressly specific number.

Change the name. It's flat out racist.

Also, stay on subject and stop using every issue to talk about all the other ones you wish you could here.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
C'mon, do you literally fly off the handle at every article that comes out?

Yes. I'm shocked #Benghazi didn't come up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:35:36 PM by Aughnanure »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
Bakunin was the head of Chico's school or just a man without hope for the future??

Chico more of a survivalist (canned goods and ammo) than one ready to join the fray.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Here's Suzanne Harjo, she led the fight against the trademark.  (She's a hero, the best and righteous)

http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-the-native-american-grandmother-who-just-beat-the-redskins-2014-6?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

She's also the one demanding the Blackhawks change their name.  (She's lame, stupid, doesn't get it and her opinion doesn't mean anything)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
(canned goods and ammo)

Isn't there a Scooper with that as a screen name?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
Yes. I'm shocked #Benghazi didn't come up.

Or that Rick Perry might move to California when his term as governor is up.  I guess Cali is not that bad?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
Here's Suzanne Harjo, she led the fight against the trademark.  (She's a hero, the best and righteous)

http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-the-native-american-grandmother-who-just-beat-the-redskins-2014-6?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

She's also the one demanding the Blackhawks change their name.  (She's lame, stupid, doesn't get it and her opinion doesn't mean anything)

This isn't about hero, the best, righteous or lame, stupid and doesn't get it.

She has two opinions. I agree with one, disagree with the other.

If I agree with a staunch feminist on choice do I also have to agree with her to back partial birth abortion?

If I agree with an NRA member that the second amendment should be upheld do I also have agree with him that there should be no restrictions on automatic weapons?

You just can't be this obtuse.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

Actually in your zeal to make (YET MORE!!!!) political points, you would see that they survey data was provided by "the respondent."  IOW, the Redskins.

So maybe you could stop deflecting with political talking points, and actually address the issues at hand.
Sultan, love ya like a brother, but Lenny put out the bait, and I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing.  I mean, he's never baited Chicos before, has he?

I'll attack it from another angle.

Doesn't anyone in DC have anything better to do?

Why doesn't the DC media force the pols to focus on issues of real importance?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:00:27 PM by mu-rara »