[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT Memphis  (Read 43100 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: OT Memphis
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
I find it remarkable that Wiseman wasn't ruled ineligible as a JR in HS.  Penny paid $11,500 for his family to move to Memphis, the same time he  started playing for his AAU program. 

How did it cost $11,500 to move?  Did they move the entire house?  There was some serious shady stuff going on.

Memphis knew about this.  It's what they bought into, and what they desired, after firing Tubby Smith.  They wanted to get back to the Calipari-era at Memphis, and now will end up facing the same consequences that plagued the program with Derrick Rose - forfeited wins, likely probation, etc. 

I don't have much sympathy for West Tennessee State Teachers College.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »
CHEATERS. ONLY WAY THEY CAN WIN.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
I find it remarkable that Wiseman wasn't ruled ineligible as a JR in HS.  Penny paid $11,500 for his family to move to Memphis, the same time he  started playing for his AAU program. 

How did it cost $11,500 to move?  Did they move the entire house?  There was some serious shady stuff going on.

Memphis knew about this.  It's what they bought into, and what they desired, after firing Tubby Smith.  They wanted to get back to the Calipari-era at Memphis, and now will end up facing the same consequences that plagued the program with Derrick Rose - forfeited wins, likely probation, etc. 

Yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
The NCAA can’t be half pregnant...either pro or amateur.  The fact they came down on Memphis...yet Miller, Wade, Pearl, and Self continue to coach and recruit unabated is a complete sham. Pick one.

Still waiting for summer to end.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »

Lamest phrase ever.  Bad rules are bad rules.

Fluff, your rant in this thread is sooooo way off. We get that you have an opinion, but that’s all it is. 

TH should have known better.  He did know better. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:44:39 PM by real chili 83 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
The NCAA can’t be half pregnant...either pro or amateur.  The fact they came down on Memphis...yet Miller, Wade, Pearl, and Self continue to coach and recruit unabated is a complete sham. Pick one.

Agreed. Ridiculous they've allowed those programs to skate so far.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »

Each of those programs who had the involved players suspended (if they were still on the team).  And, in case you (conveniently) forgot, the FBI has refused to share the information needed for the NCAA to nail those coaches.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »

When Disney paid for my move from Wisconsin to California more than 20 years ago, it was about $10K so I don’t think the amount in question for the move is that far off.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »
Agreed. Ridiculous they've allowed those programs to skate so far.

Sorry that it actually takes evidence and schools have the ability to respond, etc. 

On one hand people are screaming due process for athletes and then seem to be saying no due process for others.  The wheels of justice are slow.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Each of those programs who had the involved players suspended (if they were still on the team).  And, in case you (conveniently) forgot, the FBI has refused to share the information needed for the NCAA to nail those coaches.

+1000

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »
When Disney paid for my move from Wisconsin to California more than 20 years ago, it was about $10K so I don’t think the amount in question for the move is that far off.

Are you able to watch pac 12 games out there??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »
Are you able to watch pac 12 games out there??

I’m looking forward to Jayce playing for us, even though you said he sucked after all the Utah games you watched.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
Mainly because I live in California and watch the pac 12 frequently.  But that’s not relevant here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
Mainly because I live in California and watch the pac 12 frequently.  But that’s not relevant here.

I live in Calif, too....and I am looking forward to seeing how good JJ is despite your scouting assessment.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

Well written.
If the NCAA did really know all of the facts, then I have flipped on this issue.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
 are we just to believe wiseman did not know of hardaway's "act of kindness"? or did i miss the corroborating evidence other than the article stating as such?  i don't mean to be a cold hearted sob-trust but verify
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
What Doyel ignores is that Penny never should've recruited Wiseman to Memphis. Maybe the NCAA knew, but Penny also knew. Penny knew he was a booster, knew he had provided money to move the player, and knew that Wiseman's commitment to Memphis never would've happened if not the chain of events connecting him to Penny. Penny never should've gotten involved with Wiseman once he took the Memphis job. Wiseman may be innocent, but Hardaway most certainly is not.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
What Doyel ignores is that Penny never should've recruited Wiseman to Memphis. Maybe the NCAA knew, but Penny also knew. Penny knew he was a booster, knew he had provided money to move the player, and knew that Wiseman's commitment to Memphis never would've happened if not the chain of events connecting him to Penny. Penny never should've gotten involved with Wiseman once he took the Memphis job. Wiseman may be innocent, but Hardaway most certainly is not.

He didn’t ignore it. He addressed it directly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2019, 03:49:02 PM »
are we just to believe wiseman did not know of hardaway's "act of kindness"? or did i miss the corroborating evidence other than the article stating as such?  i don't mean to be a cold hearted sob-trust but verify

That is the go to excuse for all of the athletes. I didn't know my parents were given suitcases full of cash by the school I agreed to play for.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
That is the go to excuse for all of the athletes. I didn't know my parents were given suitcases full of cash by the school I agreed to play for.

It’s not really relevant since the NCAA knew about it and declared him eligible anyway.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
It’s not really relevant since the NCAA knew about it and declared him eligible anyway.

And when the NCAA was alerted to the details surrounding the loan, in May, Memphis agreed to a joint review of the matter with the NCAA that proceeded over the past several months.

The result of that joint review was that he was ineligible.

Rules were violated. Fact.

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
And when the NCAA was alerted to the details surrounding the loan, in May, Memphis agreed to a joint review of the matter with the NCAA that proceeded over the past several months.

The result of that joint review was that he was ineligible.

Rules were violated. Fact.

NCAA has discretion. Fact.

Should have used it. Fact.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »

NCAA has discretion. Fact.

Should have used it. Opinion.

Fixed it for you. And 100% disagree. There was zero reason to use discretion here.

feedback