collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Deathiversary of the 'Lanche  (Read 4657 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The Deathiversary of the 'Lanche
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
ah.......we missed it last week.  Anyway, here's a look back at one of the all-time great bars

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2006/04/rip-remembering-avalanche-bar.html

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Deathiversary of the 'Lanche
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
Still brings a tear to my eye.  One of my most prized possessions is a poster sized, framed photograph of the lanche' (my icon is a copy of it) that hangs in my living room.  Appropriate choice of rooms considering I practically lived there for three out of four years.

I remember taking a semester off my senior year to concentrate on being the campus bookie.  My dad made it clear that If I was going to take time off, I had to have a job.  So, of course I told him that I was a bartender at the Lanche', figuring if he ever checked up on me I would be there. 

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
I cherish my Avalanche Bar hat that is black and white. It was the first bar I went in on my senior in high school trip up to MU. I remember thinking how cool it was you could break bottles and no one cared.  I also still remember the hangover from the malt liquor I drank at an after bars house party.There are certain songs I hear on the radio that still take me back to the lanche and I hate to admit 20 years back. I still remember drinking pitchers of Kamikazes on the random Sat. afternoon. It's a shame the institution is gone!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »
Ah the 'Lanche was a great bar!  I was in grad school/teaching at MU from 72 - 78.  We frequented the Ardmore Bar quite a bit - where they had 16 oz schooners of beer for 25 cents.  LOL.  But the 'Lanche - ahh - well that same schooner cost only 15 cents - what a deal.  A dollar went a long way.  Had lots of fun at both, but the 'Lanche was raw - crazy - archie the bartender, the beer slides, some of the locals in there at noon. . .ah what memories!

Anyone have pictures of the inside?  That place was fun!

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »
I don't need a single picture of that place, as it is etched in my mind in many states of mind!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
I graduated in 1997.  That fateful weekend I was up in Minneapolis on for a project for the ad club (my major).  I called home that Saturday and checked in w/ my roommates for any news.  They said so and so got engaged and the Lanche closed.  I replied...Are you F'n kidding me, the 'Lanche closed, what the F happened?  The guy who got engaged, I ended up being his best man...but to me that phone call was all about the 'Lanche.   

Love that place...and I know that the vintage I saw was no where near what it was at it's peak, but it still crushed every other bar on campus.  As a buddy once said, you could be a in tux before a formal, standing next to a Rugby player covered in mudd and you both fit in...talking & enjoying RWBs while Gordie pissed himself again.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback