collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sooooo.... Texas?  (Read 29840 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Sooooo.... Texas?
« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
A Justice who rules on the law, whether he or she agrees with the law or not, does not equal a "partisan hack".  It's not the obligation of SCOTUS to rule on how he or she personally wants the decision to be.   As Scalia said, “The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.”
That's my point exactly. And Scalia was one of the worst at twisting his rationale to fit his desired outcome.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »
That's my point exactly. And Scalia was one of the worst at twisting his rationale to fit his desired outcome.
I think you misunderstand the concept.  To use another Scalia quote:

"Persuade your fellow citizens it's a good idea and pass a law. That's what democracy is all about. It's not about nine superannuated judges who have been there too long, imposing these demands on society."

It's not the Court's job to make the laws.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »

"Persuade your fellow citizens it's a good idea and pass a law. That's what democracy is all about. It's not about nine superannuated judges who have been there too long, imposing these demands on society."

How serious does one take such admonitions from a justice who decided corporations are people?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #429 on: September 21, 2021, 01:45:15 PM »

Well first of all, that has nothing to do with your original point which was "It's not the obligation of SCOTUS to rule on how he or she personally wants the decision to be".

And my point was that was EXACTLY was Scalia did all too frequently--ruled the way he personally wanted the decision to come out and often used arguments directly contradicting arguments he had made in other cases in order to justify the decision he personally wanted.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »
Scalia was famous for aligning his opinions to the outcomes he wanted. Heller is a well known example (when he abandoned his "originalist" approach) but by all means not the only one. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2021, 02:34:52 PM »
How serious does one take such admonitions from a justice who decided corporations are people?

I remember reading that in the Constitution. And Scalia was a strict constitutionalist.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2021, 02:37:48 PM »
I remember reading that in the Constitution. And Scalia was a strict constitutionalist.
Original Intent. The Constitution clearly intended that Facebook should have all the rights of a citizen but none of the obligations.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
Scalia was extremely political, and in a way that always favored his "side."

I'm actually looking forward to this thing getting decided by this court. It will tell us quite a bit about where we stand as a nation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2021, 03:16:20 PM »

Its administrative agencies' job, everyone knows that.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #435 on: September 21, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »
Since I have pretty much lost any faith over the past few years as to where this country stands as a nation, I am not looking forward to the Court deciding this case.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #436 on: September 21, 2021, 03:25:18 PM »
Since I have pretty much lost any faith over the past few years as to where this country stands as a nation, I am not looking forward to the Court deciding this case.

I'm afraid that I agree with you, Warrior.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #437 on: September 21, 2021, 03:48:47 PM »
Oh, I hear you guys.

But the observer in me is fascinated by this kind of stuff, and every once in awhile I actually get pleasantly surprised.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2021, 01:03:55 PM »
From a Washington Post op-ed:

Republicans are digging themselves into a deep hole on this one. In a Monmouth University poll released Monday, 70 percent of those surveyed said they disapprove of “allowing private citizens to use lawsuits to enforce this law rather than having government prosecutors handle these cases.” Nonetheless, other conservative states are signaling they plan to try to pass their own versions of the Texas law.

Whether the Texas statute survives in court, Republicans across the country are likely to rue the overreach. “All of this is going to impact governor’s races in 2022, to the detriment of Republicans,” predicts GOP pollster Christine Matthews. An early test will come this fall in Virginia, where Democrat Terry McAuliffe is making protecting abortion rights a centerpiece of his campaign; his Republican opponent, Glenn Youngkin, has been more equivocal, and he was caught on video telling a conservative audience that if he were elected with a majority in the House of Delegates, he would be able to go “on offense” against abortion.

Women, even those who are not entirely supportive of abortion rights, are paying attention. On Monday night, I observed a focus group of suburban women sponsored by a group of liberal organizations. “I don’t believe in abortion. I think you should have other options. But it’s my body,” said one participant, who lives near Atlanta. She added: “You look at the people who are voting for these things, and it’s a bunch of men.”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2021, 02:09:21 PM »
Its administrative agencies' job, everyone knows that.

Which is why our country increasingly is run by Executive Order, Emergency Powers and administrative fiat.

God forbid we cross an administrative agency. We get dragged into Kangaroo Court run by administrators for the financial well being of the administrative body.

Ever wonder why many municipalities issue "P-Tickets?" They don't share the revenue and try you in Kangaroo courts, where the deck is stacked.

Here's to the Kangaroos! 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Which is why our country increasingly is run by Executive Order, Emergency Powers and administrative fiat.

God forbid we cross an administrative agency. We get dragged into Kangaroo Court run by administrators for the financial well being of the administrative body.

Ever wonder why many municipalities issue "P-Tickets?" They don't share the revenue and try you in Kangaroo courts, where the deck is stacked.

Here's to the Kangaroos!

It's ended up this way because Congress doesn't want to have to do anything. The less decisions they're forced to make, the easier it is to keep their jobs.

They will never end the AUMF because then they would be responsible for making the decision on when we go to war. And that's politically difficult.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »
Why do government entities create agencies to do the job of government?

Why do large companies have assistants, financial people, R & D departments?

It is a complicated world.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2021, 02:45:35 PM »
Alright, alright, alright.

McConaughey has said now several times that he's considering a run for Texas governor — and Texans appear to like his style. Poll data released this week, collected by Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler, showed McConaughey was leading Governor Greg Abbott, 44 percent to 35 percent.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/matthew-mc-conaughey-wont-rule-out-political-run-in-texas-160049077.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »

McConaughey has said now several times that he's considering a run for Texas governor — and Texans appear to like his style. Poll data released this week, collected by Dallas Morning News and the University of Texas at Tyler, showed McConaughey was leading Governor Greg Abbott, 44 percent to 35 percent.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/matthew-mc-conaughey-wont-rule-out-political-run-in-texas-160049077.html

Not only would McConaughey be a better governor than Abbott, but so would Wooderson.

This current dope is one of America's most dazed and confused governors.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2021, 07:00:38 PM »

If he runs--although I don't know why he would--the Dems would be wise to throw their weight behind him rather than try to win a three way race.

That said, actors-turned-Governor don't exactly have a sterling track record in recent history.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2021, 10:44:40 PM »
If he runs--although I don't know why he would--the Dems would be wise to throw their weight behind him rather than try to win a three way race.

That said, actors-turned-Governor don't exactly have a sterling track record in recent history.

But again ... could he be any worse than the d-bag who's there now?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #447 on: September 24, 2021, 05:51:47 AM »
Why do government entities create agencies to do the job of government?

Why do large companies have assistants, financial people, R & D departments?

It is a complicated world.

R & D departments or D & R departments?   :D :D

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:15 AM »
But again ... could he be any worse than the d-bag who's there now?
That's my point. Rather than attempt to win a three way Abbott-Beto-Alright Alright Alright race, take the sure thing and at least remove Abbott.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2021, 09:07:39 AM »
Shouldn't this thread be locked as well moderators?  I'm just curious.

feedback