[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Hunt Blog Post on Ellenson  (Read 17507 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
New Hunt Blog Post on Ellenson
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:43:05 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/277207211.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Marquette's Chances with Henry Ellenson

Rice Lake - After spending the day up here, I'd say they're pretty good.

It's just a coincidence that the Rice Lake Warriors wear Marquette-like uniforms, but every little thing helps when it comes to recruiting one of the best players in the country.

Henry Ellenson is that good. He might be the best basketball player to ever come out of Wisconsin, going back to Joe Wolf and, later, Latrell Sprewell. At almost 6-11, Ellenson handles the ball like a point guard and shoots the three like a two guard. He is freakishly quick defensively. You can't guard him with a big man because he'll take him outside and shoot. A smaller, quicker defender is going to get posted up.

Of course, it's a bonus that Marquette signed Ellenson's brother, Wally, to a scholarship. The family is very close. Steve Wojciechowski's shrewd move didn't hurt one bit. But the new coach still has to contend with Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Kentucky's John Calipari, two of the best closers in the business.

Izzo made his on-campus pitch last weekend. Ellenson will make his official visit to Marquette this weekend. He will go to Kentucky on Oct. 17. It's hard to compete with Kentucky and Michigan State offers, but to see the Ellenson family together - sister Ella, a 10th-grade Division I prospect, was working out with Henry on Thursday in the Rice Lake gym while both parents, former college players themselves, looked on - is to know how deep their family ties run.

Marquette also has an impressive track record of putting players in the NBA, which is what Henry is about. In fact, the Golden Eagles' have had a much better run at it than Michigan State. Ellenson might be good enough to be one-and-done, which happens to be Kentucky's specialty. Even if Ellenson is in school for only a year, it's interesting to project what he might do alongside center Luke Fischer, forward Gabe Levin, guard Duane Wilson and 2015 four-star recruit Haanif Cheatham.

If Wojo lands Ellenson, the '15 class, with Cheatham, center Matt Heldt and point guard Nick Noskowiak so far, just might be the best in the country. Cheatham is a big-time Florida prospect and in-state players Noskowiak and Heldt are four-star prospects, but Ellenson is off the charts.

Ellenson is a remarkable talent, but I was also impressed with his character and personality. Whoever gets him is going to be one lucky team for however long he stays.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:07:20 PM by TAMU Ellenson »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
Re: New Hunt Blog Post on Ellenson
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/277207211.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

It's just a coincidence that the Rice Lake Warriors wear Marquette-like uniforms, but every little thing helps when it comes to recruiting one of the best players in the country.

Henry Ellenson is that good. He might be the best basketball player to ever come out of Wisconsin, going back to Joe Wolf and, later, Latrell Sprewell. At almost 6-11, Ellenson handles the ball like a point guard and shoots the three like a two guard. He is freakishly quick defensively. You can't guard him with a big man because he'll take him outside and shoot. A smaller, quicker defender is going to get posted up.

Of course, it's a bonus that Marquette signed Ellenson's brother, Wally, to a scholarship. The family is very close. Steve Wojciechowski's shrewd move didn't hurt one bit. But the new coach still has to contend with Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Kentucky's John Calipari, two of the best closers in the business.

Izzo made his on-campus pitch last weekend. Ellenson will make his official visit to Marquette this weekend. He will go to Kentucky on Oct. 17. It's hard to compete with Kentucky and Michigan State offers, but to see the Ellenson family together - sister Ella, a 10th-grade Division I prospect, was working out with Henry on Thursday in the Rice Lake gym while both parents, former college players themselves, looked on - is to know how deep their family ties run.

Marquette also has an impressive track record of putting players in the NBA, which is what Henry is about. In fact, the Golden Eagles' have had a much better run at it than Michigan State. Ellenson might be good enough to be one-and-done, which happens to be Kentucky's specialty. Even if Ellenson is in school for only a year, it's interesting to project what he might do alongside center Luke Fischer, forward Gabe Levin, guard Duane Wilson and 2015 four-star recruit Haanif Cheatham.

If Wojo lands Ellenson, the '15 class, with Cheatham, center Matt Heldt and point guard Nick Noskowiak so far, just might be the best in the country. Cheatham is a big-time Florida prospect and in-state players Noskowiak and Heldt are four-star prospects, but Ellenson is off the charts.

Ellenson is a remarkable talent, but I was also impressed with his character and personality. Whoever gets him is going to be one lucky team for however long he stays.
Hunt made up for all his usual weak reporting with this fine effort.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
Thanks for providing. Well-written and informative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Nice post. Only quibble is that we will not have the best class in the country. Under any circumstances. Longshot for top 5.

And we all should be ecstatic at that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »

Marquette's Chances with Henry Ellenson

have not seen him play, but the best HS player from Wisconsin. That is a tough one. Have seen some great ones: Freddy Brown from Lincoln; Sewell from Grafton; Pieper from Wausaukee or wherever; Don Kojis from (Pius or Messmer), and Blanton Simmons from North. Tony Smith, etc.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »
I agree with you willie.  To say that Henry "might be the best basketball player to ever come out of Wisconsin" is a bit of a stretch and might set expectations too high. 

Joe Wolf, Wes Matthews, Jim Chones, and the ones you mentioned.  This state does not lack for high quality basketball talent.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »
I'm down with Henry. If he's half the playa Chones was, we'll be cuttin' down some nets.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
Hunt made up for all his usual weak reporting with this fine effort.

Tough to be a reporter the last 5 or 6 years when the coach was cutting you off at the balls and knees, that being said he still wasn't very good.  Maybe he's getting his second wind now that Burt is gone and their is a human being that isn't a psychotic mental case at the head of MU hoops that he can actually have conversations with now and again.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Tough to be a reporter the last 5 or 6 years when the coach was cutting you off at the balls and knees, that being said he still wasn't very good.  Maybe he's getting his second wind now that Burt is gone and their is a human being that isn't a psychotic mental case at the head of MU hoops that he can actually have conversations with now and again.

Agreed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
Tough to be a reporter the last 5 or 6 years when the coach was cutting you off at the balls and knees, that being said he still wasn't very good.  Maybe he's getting his second wind now that Burt is gone and their there is a human being that isn't a psychotic mental case at the head of MU hoops that he can actually have conversations with now and again.

Fixed that one for ya.  ;)

Anyhow, the most annoying thing about Hunt from the past year was that he got easy facts wrong in every single article he wrote.  He would write the wrong upcoming opponent's name in some articles.  Maybe it was just to spite Bert, I don't know.  But he just seems to be an incredibly lazy reporter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
Fixed that one for ya.  ;)

Anyhow, the most annoying thing about Hunt from the past year was that he got easy facts wrong in every single article he wrote.  He would write the wrong upcoming opponent's name in some articles.  Maybe it was just to spite Bert, I don't know.  But he just seems to be an incredibly lazy reporter.

There is much evidence to suggest that Hunt was a lazy reporter.  But to his defense, he went from a long-time columnist to beat reporter.  And I think the JS did that to force him to retire, but Hunt wasn't going to make it easy for him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
have not seen him play, but the best HS player from Wisconsin. That is a tough one. Have seen some great ones: Freddy Brown from Lincoln; Sewell from Grafton; Pieper from Wausaukee or wherever; Don Kojis from (Pius or Messmer), and Blanton Simmons from North. Tony Smith, etc.

I hate these types of prognostications.  Impossible for a kid to live up to that stuff.  Hope he comes to MU, but he's a big and bigs take a few years to get going.  People are already expecting way too much of Luke right now...he'll be good, but not very good for quite some time.  Ellenson likely the same.

I truly feel bad for some of the expectations we put on these kids.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
I hate these types of prognostications.  Impossible for a kid to live up to that stuff.  Hope he comes to MU, but he's a big and bigs take a few years to get going.  People are already expecting way too much of Luke right now...he'll be good, but not very good for quite some time.  Ellenson likely the same.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:37:39 PM by ATWizJr »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »

Don Kojis, Notre Dame HS, Southside MKE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm down with Henry. If he's half the playa Chones was, we'll be cuttin' down some nets.

I love your optimism, but ...

Chones was 100% the playa Chones was, and he didn't cut down the nets in either of his two seasons at Marquette. And that was despite being surrounded by Lackey,  Meminger, McNeill and Washington.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »
I hate these types of prognostications.  Impossible for a kid to live up to that stuff.  Hope he comes to MU, but he's a big and bigs take a few years to get going.  People are already expecting way too much of Luke right now...he'll be good, but not very good for quite some time.  Ellenson likely the same.

Reminds me of brian Butch's high school coach comparing him to Bill Walton... And then he redshirted
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
I love your optimism, but ...

Chones was 100% the playa Chones was, and he didn't cut down the nets in either of his two seasons at Marquette. And that was despite being surrounded by Lackey,  Meminger, McNeill and Washington.

He only played in 1 1/2 seasons and lost one game to a ref that fouled Dean out, first time in 90 some games, 3 charging calls, are you kidding me, the ref apolgized to Al later in life.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
I agree that articles like this one might raise the expectations to high, but I think it is good when reporters make the program's future sound exciting. A positive buzz about the program will increase the fan base.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
I agree that articles like this one might raise the expectations to high, but I think it is good when reporters make the program's future sound exciting. A positive buzz about the program will increase the fan base.

This upcoming year as I see it will be a transition year, the following year they will be young and growing, but in 3 years when they have 12 players back they should be really good.  A team
of Fisher a senior,  Ellenson a soph, Burton a senior with JJJ a senior and Cheatham a soph, then Duane at the point or Dawson or even Nick add Heldt as a back-up,  Levin as a back-up, that
is a good 10 players and Cohen and the other Ellenson might surprise, you are pretty deep, really deep.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
This upcoming year as I see it will be a transition year, the following year they will be young and growing, but in 3 years when they have 12 players back they should be really good.  A team
of Fisher a senior,  Ellenson a soph, Burton a senior with JJJ a senior and Cheatham a soph, then Duane at the point or Dawson or even Nick add Heldt as a back-up,  Levin as a back-up, that
is a good 10 players and Cohen and the other Ellenson might surprise, you are pretty deep, really deep.

Agree this is a transition year of sorts....yet in my view it is a transition from what will be a good team (this year), to a VERY, VERY good, if not great team NEXT year.  Think it can happen that quickly.  Now if you go out 2 years from this year as you did above, and with the assumptions that Burton and Henry are both on the team that year (I have no idea if Henry is truly good enough to be a one and done..never seen him play..yet many Top 10 recruits often have that potential) - that team should be a National Championship contender.  And that is no joke...

Seniors:
Fischer
Burton
JJJ
Dawson
Wally

(3 Top 50/75 guys above) and 2, 3-star players

Juniors:
Levin
Du Wilson
Cohen

(2 Top 100 guys and a proven contributor at D-1 level as a freshman in Levin)

Sophomores:
Henry
Haanif
Heldt
Nick

(4 Top 100 guys)

The above roster complexion has tons of flexibility and enough size/length to play with anyone.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »

Agree with the commentary except for this. He's a big kid, but he's not a "big" with a long learning curve ahead of him. Different story here.

Source: Watching him in person many times over many years in many different situations (HS, USA Basketball, Travel 15U, 16U, 17U, etc.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
The 1 and Done part makes me nervous, if I wanted to be 1 and Done Kentucky would be the easy choice...right?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
He's a big kid, but he's not a "big" with a long learning curve ahead of him
Exactly.  Fischer is that guy. Ellenson is just a tall guy with guard skills.

Bigs "with long learning curves" aren't typically at the top of a diamond press. They also aren't running pick and roles at the top of the key (with the ball in their hands initiating the action, not setting the pick). That is Ellenson.

Ellenson has guard skills and a very refined game for a high schooler. I've said it before, he reminds me of Jon Leuer at Wisconsin his senior year of college. And with that as the starting point, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be one of, if not the best, WI high school players ever. It's not a #donedeal, but it's not as absurd as a few here might think.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
The 1 and Done part makes me nervous, if I wanted to be 1 and Done Kentucky would be the easy choice...right?

I would disagree, according to crystal ball predictions (not reliable I realize) Kentucky is in line to get the #2, #3, #16, #17, #56, and #60 players (rankings from 247 composite). They are also in on, but not leading in crystal ball predictions for #4, #5, #6, #7, #9, #12, #15, #18, and #41. Henry is #10. Henry is only the 8th highest ranked kid Kentucky is recruiting. Now they won't get 8 kids ranked in the top 10, that would be absurd. But once you factor in his competition for playing time with the other potential recruits...not to mention the upper classmen who are all former top 10 recruits, I don't think Henry would get off the bench his freshman year. If he wanted to be a one and done, he would have a better chance at Marquette.

However, not all recruits think that way. Many think they will be able to walk in and trounce the competition, even if the competition is older and ranked higher. Henry is a level headed kid. He also know from playing on USA basketball, that he has some catching up to do to the other recruits in his class. If I recall correctly, he was a bench player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
Exactly.  Fischer is that guy. Ellenson is just a tall guy with guard skills.

Bigs "with long learning curves" aren't typically at the top of a diamond press. They also aren't running pick and roles at the top of the key (with the ball in their hands initiating the action, not setting the pick). That is Ellenson.

Ellenson has guard skills and a very refined game for a high schooler. I've said it before, he reminds me of Jon Leuer at Wisconsin his senior year of college. And with that as the starting point, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be one of, if not the best, WI high school players ever. It's not a #donedeal, but it's not as absurd as a few here might think.

I'm going in with mild expectations, especially against his HS competition.  He's highly ranked for a reason, but too many bigs IMO struggle their first year.  If he signs with MU, I hope he lives up to the billing, but also hope that fans will be patient if he's a little slow out of the gate.  The one and done stuff, regardless if it is true, should be put on the back burner.  Not fair to the young man and will just lead to fans being disappointed with wild expectations.

feedback