'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Video: Talking Sweet 16  (Read 1307 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Video: Talking Sweet 16
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
Video: Talking Sweet 16

View video from Thursday's Sweet 16 press conference featuring Marquette's Buzz Williams and Jimmy Butler and North Carolina's Roy Williams and Tyler Zeller.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118617464.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Video: Talking Sweet 16
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
Here's a link to the full transcripts, in case anyone is interested (haven't read them yet...)

http://www.asapsports.com/show_event.php?category=11&date=2011-3-24&title=NCAA+MEN%27S+REGIONALS+SEMIFINALS+%26+FINALS%3A+NEWARK

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
Hilarious...

Q. Buzz, can you talk about your last trip to this building, and what was your message to the players when they were kind of barricaded in the locker room for 45 minutes after that loss?
COACH BUZZ WILLIAMS: Somebody said that somebody got mad. I don't read anything that you guys write, but the guy that I upset is he here?

Q. I don't think he is.
COACH BUZZ WILLIAMS: Do you know him? Tell him I am really not a bad guy and I apologize. And I mean it sincerely.

Q. He's a Marquette guy.
COACH BUZZ WILLIAMS: That is a loyal alum. I am sure he donated a lot of money to our program.
I really didn't say anything, to be honest with you, that I wouldn't have said if our team was here in front of you. It was not a kumbaya meeting, not a prayer meeting, just a truthful meeting. We were 9-7. We had won three games in a row. We won at UConn. All of those things. And then we go home, we got two games to play. We play Cincinnati at home and wasn't good enough to beat them. And you can argue maybe we had to do more, but I think the premise behind the last week of the season, if we won one, we were probably in the Tournament. We were playing Seton Hall after the best game, in my opinion, at that moment in time, of Coach Willard's tenure at Seton Hall. Playing unbelievable against St. John's here. And the same thing happened to us in the first half. They just absolutely blitzed us. And I just told our guys what I believe to be true, nothing that was earth shattering, nothing that they were stunned by, nothing that was out of the ordinary and nothing that I meant to perturb anybody from the media. I think I have been as transparent and as accessible in the last 1,080 days as any coach in any sport.
What I said was, was that a week ago today we only had to win one to get in the Tournament. And as of today, I don't think that's the -- I don't think that's the case anymore. So we're going to get on the plane to New York not knowing what we have to do in order to continue to play in the NCAA Tournament. And the longer we stay in New York, the better odds we have of getting in the Tournament. We were able to play three games and that was probably just good enough to get in the Tournament. So I didn't say anything that, like I said, I didn't say anything that I wouldn't have said to you. When we play here, I am going to invite that guy in the locker room. Tell him he can come back there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:59:49 PM by rocky_warrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
Another question answered...

Q. Jimmy, if you end you on Harrison Barnes tomorrow night, would you talk about your impressions of him? He has been on a hot streak lately.
JIMMY BUTLER: He is a really good player. He can do it all. He is athletic, he can score and dribble, he rebounds. But you just have to make him uncomfortable, just like anybody else. You have to pick up his space and make him feel like he has to work for every dribble and every move that he makes. And I think I am going to end up guarding him, but it is not going to be just me. It will be the our four guys on the floor. But it is real big that I can't force help. I have to be able to guard him on my own along with my teammates and their guys. So I think if we don't force rotation and we guard the ball, then everything will work out in the manner that we want it to.

feedback