[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wiscy Box Score  (Read 7546 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wiscy Box Score
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
Logic is always better.  :)

Just because (insert player) is bad, doesn't mean the guy behind him in the depth chart is better.

Someone might argue, how come both aren't very good....maybe we are missing on some evaluations or recruiting?  Or, maybe they are too young and still learning. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
You're mixing to things together.

Derrick and Jake might not be "the answer". They might be the worst starting guard combo in the conference. There is a legitimate chance that they are.

However...

That doesn't mean that Dawson and JJJ are better options at this time.

To put it another way: Why do you think Buzz is still playing Jake and Derrick? If he had better options on the bench, wouldn't he play them? The "loyalty" thing you mentioned earlier this season has to have run out by now, right?

I have no idea why Buzz is still playing them this much - at this point all I can say is it must be out of stubbornness, but that has to be wearing thin continuing to see how overmatched they are against good competition.

No, Dawson and JJJ may not be better options - but they certainly won't be worse.  Let them each run 30 and see what the hell happens - either they prove Buzz right and play terrible (just like Jake and Derrick continue to do), or they play decent/better than Derrick and Jake and the team is better off in the short run, and certainly in the long run for getting them experience now.  JJJ was a 5 star recruit, Dawson an under the radar 3 star, player of the year in New Mexico...time to see how they perform in extended game situations..not just 2 and 3 minute stints.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Logic is always better.  :)

Just because (insert player) is bad, doesn't mean the guy behind him in the depth chart is better.

Clearly you've never heard of a backup QB.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
My guess is Buzz doesn't feel the need to prove himself right or wrong to you or anyone on these boards. And if they do play terrible and we lose a game because of it, will that somehow make it okay that they haven't been starting before now? Yes, we have some losses. Disappointing losses. But most likely all of them are to top-50 (at worst top-100) RPI teams. It's not like we have a litany of bad losses. But if we start two freshmen just to see how they perform, well maybe IUPUI turns into New Hampshire take two, only with us losing the game at the end.

Also, Dawson wasn't POY in New Mexico. That was Bryce Alford.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
I have no idea why Buzz is still playing them this much - at this point all I can say is it must be out of stubbornness, but that has to be wearing thin continuing to see how overmatched they are against good competition.

No, Dawson and JJJ may not be better options - but they certainly won't be worse.  Let them each run 30 and see what the hell happens - either they prove Buzz right and play terrible (just like Jake and Derrick continue to do), or they play decent/better than Derrick and Jake and the team is better off in the short run, and certainly in the long run for getting them experience now.  JJJ was a 5 star recruit, Dawson an under the radar 3 star, player of the year in New Mexico...time to see how they perform in extended game situations..not just 2 and 3 minute stints.

If it's out of stubbornness, Buzz should be fired tomorrow. End of story.

I think it's more likely that the younger guys just aren't doing everything Buzz wants. He's very specific in how they play defense. The technique, the rotations, the recovery. He also wants specific things on offense. The way the ball is handled, the way it's moved from side to side, shot selection, etc.  

If guys aren't doing the right things, they won't play much. That goes for Duane, Deonte, JJJ, Todd, Steve Taylor, etc.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
Clearly you've never heard of a backup QB.

Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel are bad.

That doesn't mean Josh Freeman is good.

Jake Thomas and Derrick are bad.

That doesn't mean John Dawson is good.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
And again, the players have plenty of time during the week to PROVE they should play.

I'm sure Buzz doesn't want to play Derrick 35+ min. He sees what's happening.

But, if Dawson is getting his ass kicked in practice everyday, what is Buzz supposed to do? Give Dawson 30min. in a game so he can play poorly and prove to the internet that he's not ready for real minutes?

Buzz Williams isn't infallible. However, Buzz is a basketball expert, and he sees these kids play ALL OF THE TIME. I trust his judgement.

If/when the newer guys start out-performing the older guys, they will get significant minutes in meaningful games. That's how it works. Buzz has never handed anything to anybody.

EDIT
One more thing, if the back-up players are actually outperforming the starters in practice, and Buzz is simply being too stubborn or loyal to the older guys, then he should be fired immediately. I'm not kidding.

I seem to recall Tom Brady getting his ass kicked by Drew Bledsoe every day in practice.

Practice cannot simulate the game.  Unless Dawson is god-awful, give him a shot.  If he is god-awful, then why is he here?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
I seem to recall Tom Brady getting his ass kicked by Drew Bledsoe every day in practice.

Practice cannot simulate the game.  Unless Dawson is god-awful, give him a shot.  If he is god-awful, then why is he here?

For every Tom Brady, there are literally THOUSANDS of back-ups who are worse than the starter, and play worse when they are given the chance.

Dawson may eventually get minutes. Dawson may eventually be better than Wilson (maybe even this season?).

But, Buzz isn't just going to hand him minutes to find out. Dawson is going to have to earn it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »
For every Tom Brady, there are literally THOUSANDS of back-ups who are worse than the starter, and play worse when they are given the chance.

Dawson may eventually get minutes. Dawson may eventually be better than Wilson (maybe even this season?).

But, Buzz isn't just going to hand him minutes to find out. Dawson is going to have to earn it.

Do you ever feel a starter can play their way out of the lineup?  It happens ALL the time in sports.  We don't have a good data set as to what Dawson can do given 30 minutes of run against a good team - we have PLENTY of data on what Derrick brings - and it's been awful aside from ASU.  His total and complete lack of a perimeter game, kills the offense for the rest of the guys.  Nor is Derrick a very creative passer - I can't recall more than maybe 2 or 3 assists in his career where it is like - That was sweet.  Junior had those kind of dishes EVERY game.  Dawson showed that in Grambling game and then again against Fullerton - since that time Dawson's minutes have all been off the ball...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Do you ever feel a starter can play their way out of the lineup?  It happens ALL the time in sports.  We don't have a good data set as to what Dawson can do given 30 minutes of run against a good team - we have PLENTY of data on what Derrick brings - and it's been awful aside from ASU.  His total and complete lack of a perimeter game, kills the offense for the rest of the guys.  Nor is Derrick a very creative passer - I can't recall more than maybe 2 or 3 assists in his career where it is like - That was sweet.  Junior had those kind of dishes EVERY game.  Dawson showed that in Grambling game and then again against Fullerton - since that time Dawson's minutes have all been off the ball...

For the 10,000th time, you are mix together 2 separate events.

Derrick Wilson is bad. Fine. I get it. Derrick might be worst PG in the conference. Fine.

But, Derrick Wilson being bad doesn't mean John Dawson is good.

We don't know that John Dawson is good. My guess is that the head coach has a handle on who should play and who shouldn't. If JD is shredding Derrick in practice, then JD will get some minutes.

And if Buzz is simply not playing Dawson out of stubbornness, then he should be fired because clearly his ego is more important than the team's actual performance.