'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why JJJ has to play 25+ minutes per game  (Read 133109 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Why JJJ has to play 25+ minutes per game
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »
Lets post the question another way.  If there was a wrestling board, where a former wrestler disagreed with everyone on the board, wrestlers and non-wrestlers alike.  Where the non-wrestler's thoughts/viewpoints align with all the other former wrestlers.

Who is more likely to be correct, the non-wrestler (who all the former wrestlers agree with) or the one outlier amongst the former wrestlers?

Everyone?  There are plenty of guys here who have played ball too that see things similarly to me.  Some do a better job of subscribing to the if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all mantra.  More shared the same view last season.  Due to the improvement by Derrick this season, some don't see him as being still, or as, detrimental to the team's chances at success this season.  That's a fair and fine conclusion to come to.  I disagree.  You and others are welcome to your opinion.  I'm not going to change my mind, you and others aren't going to change yours.  I feel our 27-28 record over last year and now this year bear out my conclusion.  Sorry.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
Nice work on landing your wife.  Where we differ is that I wouldn't consider getting into multiple debates with you telling you why a wrestler is still a good wrestler even though he continues to lose/struggle match after match.  Why?  Because I have virtually no experience being a wrestler or having a sound understanding of the fundamentals and concepts.  Would it not drive you nuts if you and I watched the same wrestler struggle significantly over and over and be outperformed by his adversary 80% of the time, and yet I INSIST that he's a solid wrestler?

Saying all of this does not mean you and others here don't raise good points many times.  And largely if it weren't for one particular player poster, there would be very little disagreement as to overall takes on MU basketball these last two seasons.

And yes, I do realize there are two sides of the ball - but we have been WOEFUL on the offensive end the last two seasons, and even worse this year.  We need all the help on that side of the ball we can get.
FIFY
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »
Everyone?  There are plenty of guys here who have played ball too that see things similarly to me.  Some do a better job of subscribing to the if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all mantra.  More shared the same view last season.  Due to the improvement by Derrick this season, some don't see him as being still, or as, detrimental to the team's chances at success this season.  That's a fair and fine conclusion to come to.  I disagree.  You and others are welcome to your opinion.  I'm not going to change my mind, you and others aren't going to change yours.  I feel our 27-28 record over last year and now this year bear out my conclusion.  Sorry.

Terrible logic....

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »

I have the same view as you Ners. Derrick was our downfall last year and while he's improved this year, he is still a liability.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:11:28 PM by Wojo'sMojo »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »
I have the same view as you Ners. Derrick was our downfall last year and while he's improved this year, he is still a liability.
I don't know the total number of 'active' posters here but N'ers, you, and TW don't make a quorum.  Forgetful is right on this, significant observation and analysis can equal or replace (opportunity to be more objective) almost all the time. 

Does experience help? absolutely.  can it limit ones perspective? with out a doubt.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

So you are going on record saying
1.  Duane's injury had nothing to do with it
2.  Jake Thomas had nothing to do with it
3.  Chris OTule offense had nothing to do with it
4.  Mayo's lack of desire to play in a system or be a teammate had nothing to do with it
5.  Juan Anderson being a non-factor had nothing to do with it
6. JWilson disappearing and not being a vocal leader had nothing to do with it
7.  Buzz Williams had nothing to do with it
8.  Davante's lack of defense,conditioning, etc. had nothing to do with it
9.  The freshman not being college ready had nothing to do with it
10.  Vander Blue leaving early had nothing to do with it
11.  Team chemistry had nothing to do with it.

Those of us who have played team sports realize you don't lose a season on one guy. Multiple things are working against you. The 11 things listed above impacted us last year so saying we replace Derrick then our problems vanish is wishful thinking and inconsistent with fact.

MU was not and is not a good team. One player does not break a team.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »
So you are going on record saying
1.  Duane's injury had nothing to do with it
2.  Jake Thomas had nothing to do with it
3.  Chris OTule offense had nothing to do with it
4.  Mayo's lack of desire to play in a system or be a teammate had nothing to do with it
5.  Juan Anderson being a non-factor had nothing to do with it
6. JWilson disappearing and not being a vocal leader had nothing to do with it
7.  Buzz Williams had nothing to do with it
8.  Davante's lack of defense,conditioning, etc. had nothing to do with it
9.  The freshman not being college ready had nothing to do with it
10.  Vander Blue leaving early had nothing to do with it
11.  Team chemistry had nothing to do with it.

Those of us who have played team sports realize you don't lose a season on one guy. Multiple things are working against you. The 11 things listed above impacted us last year so saying we replace Derrick then our problems vanish is wishful thinking and inconsistent with fact.

MU was not and is not a good team. One player does not break a team.

Exactly plus 2 complete coaching staffs? The one this year is made up by high quality guards. So they do not know who should be playing the point guard position! See Wojo and the staff are running a 3 point guard offense. The best guards in offense do not handle the ball as much so they can be free to score. This is simple basketball. But we are not as good as the competition. Is Derrick an excellent point guard? No! But he is the best we have at handling the ball yes. If Du. Wilson would be playing the point, his off. production would go down tons. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
How can you say that? He is a starting elite PG averaging about 33 minutes per game the past two years. Our Record during that time is 27-27, and 11-17 in conference. It is not at all his fault. The fault lies with in no particular order: Buzz, Wojo, Devante, Jamil, Mayo, Carlino, Juan, Jake Thomas, Du. Wilson, Otule, Burton, JJJ, and so on. He is not a liability, even though little girls have asked their father why nobody guards him, and defenses clog the lane while he dribbles around looking for passing lanes.
Derrick is not a liability. He is our best player and without him the past two years, we would be about 18-36. It is obvious that we do not need another PG given his solid elite performance. He is hardly the reason for our record--look for that responsibility elsewhere. Get over it!! Two coaching staffs have spoken. He gives us the best chance to win. Get it? Got it? Good!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »
How can you say that? He is a starting elite PG averaging about 33 minutes per game the past two years. Our Record during that time is 27-27, and 11-17 in conference. It is not at all his fault. The fault lies with in no particular order: Buzz, Wojo, Devante, Jamil, Mayo, Carlino, Juan, Jake Thomas, Du. Wilson, Otule, Burton, JJJ, and so on. He is not a liability, even though little girls have asked their father why nobody guards him, and defenses clog the lane while he dribbles around looking for passing lanes.
Derrick is not a liability. He is our best player and without him the past two years, we would be about 18-36. It is obvious that we do not need another PG given his solid elite performance. He is hardly the reason for our record--look for that responsibility elsewhere. Get over it!! Two coaching staffs have spoken. He gives us the best chance to win. Get it? Got it? Good!!

Derrick is absolutely a liability. As are over half of their players. Our only difference is that we recognize that he isn't the only liability. Or even the main one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
Big opportunity for JJJ today. Hopefully he plays under control and makes the most of it!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
Derrick is absolutely a liability. As are over half of their players. Our only difference is that we recognize that he isn't the only liability. Or even the main one.
Just what I said. The liabilities are all the other guys--not Derrick. Even his FT shooting are likely the fault of the coaching. Everybody knows this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
Just what I said. The liabilities are all the other guys--not Derrick. Even his FT shooting are likely the fault of the coaching. Everybody knows this.

Did you read? I said he was a liability. No one here doesn't think that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
Big opportunity for JJJ today. Hopefully he plays under control and makes the most of it!

Performed right about on par with this averages in other 6 games over 25+ minutes, although today was high water mark for minutes with 35.

6 prior games:  29.3 minutes per game.  13.6ppg.  4.3 rebounds per game.  2.5 assists per game. 3.0 steals per game  2.6 turnovers per game.

Today:  14points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers.

Should also be noted JJJ only had 1 foul - he fouls at an incredibly low rate - particularly for being a fairly aggressive defender
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »
Great game by JjJ today, he looked really solid, especially in the first half, driving and distributing as well.  Still needs to work on his man D a bit and in the second half he started getting into trouble a little again driving into nearly impossible situations and having to force either a bad pass or shot.

That said, he played a fantastic game today and hope to see more of this going forward.  Maybe he should lose the headband permanently?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
Did you read? I said he was a liability. No one here doesn't think that.
Really. Some here think he is our best player--including you!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
So I guess Wojo didn't ruin JJJ for life after all.

Ever since the benching, Wojo has increased JJJ's minutes in 5 of 6 games. In addition to playing better, I can only assume JJJ was fully engaged at practice, too. And today, when Marquette really needed him, on the road against a good opponent, JJJ performed admirably.

I commend Jajuan for being mature enough to accept the benching for what it was -- a signal that he needed to get his head out of his arse (not to mention out of his headband - ha!) -- and for earning his way back into the rotation. He wasn't given anything, he earned it, and it showed today.

I also commend our coach for demanding discipline, full engagement and the right attitude from all of his players.

Wojo is trying to build a program here. He has to demand full commitment from every player. He can't make exceptions for guys who were highly ranked high school players two or three years ago.

Wojo motivated JJJ with the best incentive a coach has at his disposal -- playing time -- and the player responded. Both deserve a big "way to go!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

connie

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »

Ever since the benching, Wojo has increased JJJ's minutes in 5 of 6 games. In addition to playing better, I can only assume JJJ was fully engaged at practice, too. And today, when Marquette really needed him, on the road against a good opponent, JJJ performed admirably.

I commend Jajuan for being mature enough to accept the benching for what it was -- a signal that he needed to get his head out of his arse (not to mention out of his headband - ha!) -- and for earning his way back into the rotation. He wasn't given anything, he earned it, and it showed today.

I also commend our coach for demanding discipline, full engagement and the right attitude from all of his players.

Wojo is trying to build a program here. He has to demand full commitment from every player. He can't make exceptions for guys who were highly ranked high school players two or three years ago.

Wojo motivated JJJ with the best incentive a coach has at his disposal -- playing time -- and the player responded. Both deserve a big "way to go!"
I don't see how this could be controversial, so no doubt it will be.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

Glad to see your riding the JJJ train now. We need this young man if we are going to salvage our season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

LOL - Nice work 82.

Yep, not until the benching took place did JJJ have in him a performance like today.  Uh.  Oh wait.  Except he did.  Multiple times before. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »
LOL - Nice work 82.

Yep, not until the benching took place did JJJ have in him a performance like today.  Uh.  Oh wait.  Except he did.  Multiple times before. 

actally, WoJo said post game that JjJ has had great practices. As MU82 said, his minutes have been increasing since the DNPS. I said it after that game that instead of looking to transfer, as you thought he would or should do, JjJ would rise to the occasion and show WoJo what he can do. I didn't picture JJJ as a quitter, but rather someone who would take the motivation and show what he could do by working hard. Obviously he's done that, as evidenced by both his playing time increase and Wojo's comments.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »
actally, WoJo said post game that JjJ has had great practices. As MU82 said, his minutes have been increasing since the DNPS. I said it after that game that instead of looking to transfer, as you thought he would or should do, JjJ would rise to the occasion and show WoJo what he can do. I didn't picture JJJ as a quitter, but rather someone who would take the motivation and show what he could do by working hard. Obviously he's done that, as evidenced by both his playing time increase and Wojo's comments.

Minutes are on the increase from getting a DNP?  I'd hope.  Wojo's hand forced a little today with Carlino out and only 7 deep and Sandy having major struggles of late?  And really?? What do you expect to say?  Wojo blamed poor practice as the reason for his benching, yet, today he plays big minutes, performs well as usual when given big minutes and now Wojo has to cover his ass to an extent as people might wonder:  Gee, Why has this kid been getting nailed to the bench for the better part of the last 7 games and that has coincided with 7 straight losses?

You think JJJ all of a sudden just started "practicing better?"  He's a slasher, driver, scorer and transition player - those types of attributes rarely go bad - albeit in practice you don't spend much time going up and down the floor at all.

Sadly, JJJ was performing just as well prior to the benching as he has after the benching.  My point was that Wojo is/was playing Russian roulette because JJJ is very talented.  Buzz would have lost him after last season had Buzz not moved on.  And Wojo already lost Burton and Dawson due to benching them behind less talented vets.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »
Minutes are on the increase from getting a DNP?  I'd hope.  Wojo's hand forced a little today with Carlino out and only 7 deep and Sandy having major struggles of late?  And really?? What do you expect to say?  Wojo blamed poor practice as the reason for his benching, yet, today he plays big minutes, performs well as usual when given big minutes and now Wojo has to cover his ass to an extent as people might wonder:  Gee, Why has this kid been getting nailed to the bench for the better part of the last 7 games and that has coincided with 7 straight losses?

You think JJJ all of a sudden just started "practicing better?"  He's a slasher, driver, scorer and transition player - those types of attributes rarely go bad - albeit in practice you don't spend much time going up and down the floor at all.

Sadly, JJJ was performing just as well prior to the benching as he has after the benching.  My point was that Wojo is/was playing Russian roulette because JJJ is very talented.  Buzz would have lost him after last season had Buzz not moved on.  And Wojo already lost Burton and Dawson due to benching them behind less talented vets.

You are the proverbial broken record.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
You are the proverbial broken record.

You make a lot of good points usually 82..even when you choose to take shots at me.  However, to think the DNP Wojo gave JJJ awhile back all of a sudden sparked this surge in performance, is just not truth.  JJJ played just fine before he got the benching, when given 25+ minutes per game.  Today was his first game since Providence he got over 25, and voila, what do you know?  Just like he did prior to the benching, he produced 14/4/2/2/2 - his virtually exact averages in the 6 games prior he got 25+, all prior to the benching.

And "earning" his way back into the rotation?  A better question might be what did he do to earn his way out of it when he got 12 minutes at Creighton coming off some good games prior to that.

Oddly our best 3 wins of the year:  ASU, Providence, and Seton Hall JJJ played more than 25+.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2015, 11:17:49 PM »
You consider today one of our three best wins of the year?!? What is your criteria?

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »
You consider today one of our three best wins of the year?!? What is your criteria?

Yeah um, can you name a better win?

feedback