collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: lorenzen wright's life worth, ohhhh...about 9 years  (Read 4669 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
lorenzen wright's life worth, ohhhh...about 9 years
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27256388/ex-wife-pleads-guilty-killing-lorenzen-wright

she pleads guilty, gets 30 years...30 years!! for murder, BUT may only have to serve 30% of that.  yes i realize the wright family was all in, but is this what we're all good with now on murder?  if i did some digging around, i'll bet i can find someone who's got more for killing a hamster
don't...don't don't don't don't

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: lorenzen wright's life worth, ohhhh...about 9 years
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
i'll bet i can find someone who's got more for killing a hamster

You're on.  What are we betting?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »
  if i did some digging around, i'll bet i can find someone who's got more for killing a hamster

at least it wasn't microwaving a parrot, oh wait....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27256388/ex-wife-pleads-guilty-killing-lorenzen-wright

she pleads guilty, gets 30 years...30 years!! for murder, BUT may only have to serve 30% of that.  yes i realize the wright family was all in, but is this what we're all good with now on mmurder?  if i did some digging around, i'll bet i can find someone who's got more for killing a hamster

Is this a thread about absurd punishments vs crimes committed? Cause I'm sure I could come up with a list...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
one of my fondest MU hoops memories from college was watching Amal kill Wright in the post in a nationally televised game in 1996.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
one of my fondest MU hoops memories from college was watching Amal kill Wright in the post in a nationally televised game in 1996.

Phrasing, Billy, phrasing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
Phrasing, Billy, phrasing.

I know - wanted to see how many posts it took for someone to catch that one. ;)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »

she pleads guilty, gets 30 years...30 years!! for murder, BUT may only have to serve 30% of that.  yes i realize the wright family was all in, but is this what we're all good with now on murder?  if i did some digging around, i'll bet i can find someone who's got more for killing a hamster

I see this differently.
1) She did not plead guilty to murder. She pled guilty to conspiracy (facilitation) of murder. Likely this means the state could not prove she was the one ,between her and Billy Turner , who actually pulled the trigger.

2) The defense said theyd prove at trial Lorenzan Wright "beat her for years and she was tired of it". So...Prosecution had to be concerned how this might play to the jury...two sides to the story...me too, etc

3) Her sentence is 30 years...family says theyll fight parole when it comes up in 9 years. If Billy Turner is convicted in September trial of first degree (pre meditated) murder ....why would a parole board grant her early release in 9 years...that is certainly not a given. Even in a release status she would be under probation (ie parole officer supervision, drug tests, no more crime, get a job, etc) for the remainder of the term...here even with first release at 2028 she would be probated through 2049.

This isnt the first time an abused widow found refuge in Tennessee
LINCOLN:

Back when I rode the legal circuit in Illinois I defended a woman from Metamora named Melissa Goings, 77 years old, they said she murdered her husband; he was 83. He was choking her; and, uh, she grabbed a hold of a stick of fire-wood and fractured his skull, `n he died. In his will he wrote "I expect she has killed me. If I get over it, I will have revenge."

This gets a laugh.

LINCOLN (CONT'D)

No one was keen to see her convicted, he was that kind of husband. I asked the prosecuting attorney if I might have a short conference with my client. And she and I went into a room in the courthouse, but I alone emerged.
The window in the room was found to be wide open. It was believed the
old lady may have climbed out of it. I told the bailiff right before
I left her in the room she asked me where she could get a good drink of
water, and I told her Tennessee.

Mrs. Goings was seen no more in Metamora. Enough justice had been
done; they even forgave the bondsman her bail.

The murder of an physically abusive husband by his victim spouse is hardly a hamster killing
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:15:30 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »

Were there guys dressed up in gorilla suits at that game, or am I imagining that?  I seem to remember in the postgame show Deane saying he’d pick up their dry cleaning bill.  Good stuff.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
  "The defense said theyd prove at trial Lorenzan Wright "beat her for years and she was tired of it". So...Prosecution had to be concerned how this might play to the jury...two sides to the story...me too, etc"

so you are saying lorenzen DID beat his wife sherra.  interesting because that has been alleged, BUT not proven.  i'm surprised you would hang your hat on that. 

yes, i agree there have been instances of spousal abuse(both men and women) where murder may be a justifiable action.  yes, the wright family agreed to the plea.  yes they will be opposing her probationary release as they come forward.  that's not the most reliable way to keep one in prison-just ask the family of paula bohovesky how well that works. 

sherra wright murdered her "husband".  the plea deal could have been 40-50 years to serve at least 1/2 before parole.  every 9 years, if she isn't released after the first 9, the wright family will have to relive the horrors

ok, but if a person kills 4 hamsters...

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/19-year-old-is-charged-in-hamsters-death/

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
  "The defense said theyd prove at trial Lorenzan Wright "beat her for years and she was tired of it". So...Prosecution had to be concerned how this might play to the jury...two sides to the story...me too, etc"

so you are saying lorenzen DID beat his wife sherra.  interesting because that has been alleged, BUT not proven.  i'm surprised you would hang your hat on that. 

yes, i agree there have been instances of spousal abuse(both men and women) where murder may be a justifiable action.  yes, the wright family agreed to the plea.  yes they will be opposing her probationary release as they come forward.  that's not the most reliable way to keep one in prison-just ask the family of paula bohovesky how well that works. 

sherra wright murdered her "husband".  the plea deal could have been 40-50 years to serve at least 1/2 before parole.  every 9 years, if she isn't released after the first 9, the wright family will have to relive the horrors

ok, but if a person kills 4 hamsters...

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/19-year-old-is-charged-in-hamsters-death/

An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.   

Keep that in mind when you downplay the outrage over punishment for certain men of a certain vintage of a certain tint.   

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 10:18:09 PM »

"so you are saying lorenzen DID beat his wife sherra.  interesting because that has been alleged, BUT not proven."

...Whaaa? Nooo....I said....

"So...Prosecution had to be concerned how this might play to the jury...two sides to the story...me too, etc"

Remember State burden is beyond reasonable doubt...defense only needs that scintilla of reasonable doubt....No prosecutor today ignores the huge jury power of a defendant claiming this abuse. Prosecutors and defense simply took the sure thing result of the guilty plea on the lesser included crime

...plea agreements occur all the time...are you objecting to what the state agreed to?

If you commit a crime, and face a prison sentence would you stop your defense counsel from raising any and every possible defense, or from cutting a deal for guilty on a lesser charge. Alternatively....Are you willing to pay the tax burden of forcing prosecutors to take every case to trial that now is pled out (about 85-92% in most jurisdictions)?

Feel free to be the prosecutor here and let us know how you would have handled the prosecution of this lady....differently or better.

Do you believe the lesser included facilitation of murder should bear the same sentence as the person pulling the trigger...ie first degree murder. 

The USA has more in prison than any country....even with these early release programs ...such as here...are you ready to pay for the tripling of prisons by eliminating early release.

BTW How could prosecutors get a murder conviction or 40-50 year deal on her when reports are Prosecutors could not even place her at the scene when the shooting occurred. She planned, encouraged  and talked ...but no one claims she pulled the trigger or was even there. Isnt Facilitation and 30 years about the best prosecutors could have gotten. Do you know something I havent seen?

I am not disrespecting....I am just having trouble with...what your complaint is and proposed fix?

Thanks for helping me understand
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:40:19 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »
Not nearly as bad as all those who are wrongly convicted and spend years -- or decades -- in prison unjustly until finally DNA evidence or somebody else admitting guilt or some other factor exonerates them. A quarter or half a life lost. Such as the Central Park 5.

Almost always happens to people of color, against whom the system is biased. It's a travesty.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »
Im not saying he did beat his wife or did not, in fact i dont care.  However, i did read where her face was dis figured over the years because he beat her so badly.  Now i dont know maybe she was punching herself in the face over time in part of a great conspiracy to get away with murder or maybe she just got ugly. Just reporting what i read, i personally think someone owes it to a civilized community to allow the law to do it’ part as opposed to taking it into one’s own hands.  There are shelters, police, and victims groups and that is prolly easy to say as a man but lastly u just dont  kill another human being. And yes 9 years is no deterrent for the rest of society
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 06:04:34 AM »

An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.   

Keep that in mind when you downplay the outrage over punishment for certain men of a certain vintage of a certain tint.

why does race always have to come into things with you guys-punishment is given to people who do wrong and are threats to our safety.  are we perfect?  absolutely not.  but we still have one of the best systems in the world.  knock off the racism crap!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 07:51:34 AM »
Consider the source with MU82.  Just watch the news his people cant stop making themselves look stupid.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 08:07:17 AM »
Not nearly as bad as all those who are wrongly convicted and spend years -- or decades -- in prison unjustly until finally DNA evidence or somebody else admitting guilt or some other factor exonerates them. A quarter or half a life lost. Such as the Central Park 5.

Almost always happens to people of color, against whom the system is biased. It's a travesty.

nothing like using the story to once again do some virtue grandstanding-you're such caring, ethical and honorable guy and the rest of us are just mean-start your own topic and go with it

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »
If there is a preponderance of evidence that he habitually beat her, I am ok with the sentence.  Wife beaters are among the lowest forms of humanity.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:32:00 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
  "I am not disrespecting....I am just having trouble with...what your complaint is and proposed fix?"

i understand the reality of our system houw, but murder is murder and i struggle, in general with some of the sentences handed down.  if she was abused, sandknit hit it.  whenever there is abuse, are we good with killing the source?  bring on the vigilantes, right?  wrong!  go ahead and plea the case, but having only to serve 30% of the sentence plead to, imho, is absurd. if they are giving her 30 years, maybe consider release with good behavior after 20-25 minimum.  the family has to relive the murder every 9 years. 

we have resources for the abused.  if i were to get beat up by a flash mob, is it ok for me to hunt every one of them down and kill them?  break their knees?  torture them? someone rapes my daughter...i don't even want to go their cuz i would get 9 years for that one 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
why does race always have to come into things with you guys-punishment is given to people who do wrong and are threats to our safety.  are we perfect?  absolutely not.  but we still have one of the best systems in the world.  knock off the racism crap!

Because, we have a lengthy history of unfair punishment to people of specific races, or of low income.

Remember the Affluenza kid? He got away with killing 4 and injuring 11 more, and only got probation.

We are usually ranked somewhere in the 11-20 range world wide, where we are lower because of our unequal treatment of minorities and the poor.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:53:11 AM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »

Except when punishment is given to people who DON'T do wrong and who are NOT threats to our safety. And the vast majority of those so punished are not rich folks who can buy the best lawyers.

Knock off the pretending that systemic racism doesn't exist crap!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
One only need to witness the caring and ethical nature of our liberal media as they have held a presidency, legislature, and a nations people hostage with a witch hunt because their candidate did not win.  Pure scum.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 10:32:12 AM »
Well, this went about as expected.  Lock it up

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Consider the source with MU82.  Just watch the news his people cant stop making themselves look stupid.

Yet......

No thread was started about a rich, white man with powerful friends who got off virtually Scott-free for raping hundreds of underage girls.

Interesting that you guys weren’t offended enough by that to start a thread. But if a person of color isn’t sufficiently punished....., Chico or the Idiot will be there to cry about the miscarriage of justice.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
Yet......

No thread was started about a rich, white man with powerful friends who got off virtually Scott-free for raping hundreds of underage girls.

Interesting that you guys weren’t offended enough by that to start a thread. But if a person of color isn’t sufficiently punished....., Chico or the Idiot will be there to cry about the miscarriage of justice.

dude, this wasn't started because of race!  it was started because it involved people first and foremost.  it involved a popular athlete who's murder went unsolved for a while.  then the rest of the topic is there for you to read
  what's even more interesting is you guys see everything thru the prism of race.  why can't you just see people as people. 

we had a good, informative, civil thread going here until the race baiters came out. 

i say the mods should drop the ban-hammer on you for trolling the race card and trying to get people to fall into your crap