[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bracket Matrix has us as a 5 seed  (Read 6147 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Bracket Matrix has us as a 5 seed
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
K State and Wisconsin both as 4 seeds.

I desperately want to avoid the 5.  I'd rather be a 6 than a 5 because of what happens in the Sweet 16 if you get that far. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Bracket Matrix has us as a 5 seed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:57:08 PM »
K State and Wisconsin both as 4 seeds.

I desperately want to avoid the 5.  I'd rather be a 6 than a 5 because of what happens in the Sweet 16 if you get that far.

6 is out, too many Q1 wins. 3 is likely out (already set)

Either a 5 or 4 unless I’m missinng something. Your point is short sighted tough- you wouldn’t rather be a 6 you’d rather be a 4.

Please don’t be that guy that argues a 6 over a 4. For what it’s worth I think beating Gtown on sat woulda still kept MU alive for a 3 seed via reg season and conf tourney ships but let’s get that 4 pls.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:01:36 AM »
If we are a 5 basically lock in FSU as the 4.

Unless they set up a rematch with kstate, Wisco or Kansas right away
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:06:17 AM »

Either a 5 or 4 unless I’m missinng something. Your point is short sighted tough- you wouldn’t rather be a 6 you’d rather be a 4.

Please don’t be that guy that argues a 6 over a 4. For what it’s worth I think beating Gtown on sat woulda still kept MU alive for a 3 seed via reg season and conf tourney ships but let’s get that 4 pls.

I'd rather be a 6 than a 5.   Sorry if that wasn't clear.   Of course I'd rather be a 4 than a 6.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »

I feel better about it after tonight, but FSU is a terrible matchup for us in that they - like SJU - have tremendous length that can disrupt us in the lane.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:44:51 AM »
How about we beat the smack out of Hall and Nova and lock up a four seed?

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:47:18 AM »
How about we beat the smack out of Hall and Nova and lock up a four seed?

A win tonight might get us a 4, a Big East Tournament Championship definitely should since we have beat two of the current 4's head to head. It would take everything breaking Marquette's way to get back to the 3 line, but crazier things have happened when you put a bunch of old people in a room together.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »
Other than Duke with Zion, is there much difference between the 1 and 2 seeds? I saw a post saying the committee has 7 teams in play for a 1 seed.

Also, I’d be pretty happy with playing a 1 seed since that would be a Sweet Sixteen game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 07:21:30 AM »
Other than Duke with Zion, is there much difference between the 1 and 2 seeds? I saw a post saying the committee has 7 teams in play for a 1 seed.

Also, I’d be pretty happy with playing a 1 seed since that would be a Sweet Sixteen game.

I mean, we're gonna need to beat a good team or two if we're gonna win the whole frickin' thing......

#seedsnomatta
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:19 AM »

Not if we drop to a 9 seed

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »

I think there are 9 viable teams for the top-2 lines: Virginia, Duke, UNC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Houston, Gonzaga, Michigan State, & Michigan. I think Duke & Virginia are a clear step ahead of the rest, Houston & the Michigan schools a clear step behind, and everyone else pretty equal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »
Hot take: I think Duke will run into a team that can at least hang with them athletically/physically and will force them into jump shots all game and will knock them out before a Final Four.  Cuse hung in there last night without their best player and essentially without the middle man of their zone, and that was with Zion going 13-13 from the field.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 08:08:31 AM »
Hot take: I think Duke will run into a team that can at least hang with them athletically/physically and will force them into jump shots all game and will knock them out before a Final Four.  Cuse hung in there last night without their best player and essentially without the middle man of their zone, and that was with Zion going 13-13 from the field.

Syracuse's zone is a nightmare for Duke because Duke can't shoot the three. Their nightmare would be getting Washington in the second round.

For a man-to-man team to beat Duke at full strength, they probably need to get red hot from three & pray you have enough interior defense to somewhat slow their drivers.

Honestly, we might have the kind of team that could beat them if we are on from three, though with Duke's defense it would more likely be a double-digit loss.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »

You could very well be right. That said, in our Duke vs Kansas for the national championship bet I like my side.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »
Looking at potential S16 match-ups right now is way premature.  Not to go all "wades" crazy with the one game at a time thing, but lets focus on our R64 game first.  Keep in mind that Wojo has still never won a tourney game in his coaching career, if we make the S16 get a bad match-up and get plastered (i.e. 2011), this will still have been a great season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
You could very well be right. That said, in our Duke vs Kansas for the national championship bet I like my side.

Yeah if I could've looked into the future and seen 2 of Kansas's 3 best players would be done for the year by mid conference season I probably would've picked UVA as the best team in the country.

Kansas minus Vick and Azubuike looks a bit like Duke without Zion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:14:02 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »
Lunardi has MU as a 5 seed today.  Hate that 5-12 matchup.  Has 4 BE teams in, including SJU.  MU, NOVA, SH and SJU.

As far as the ACC Tournament, that is just crazy.  Three of the top 5 teams in the country in the semifinals, along with an extremely hot Florida State team.   

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 08:15:06 AM »

I would take Kansa in this scenario

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
Lunardi has MU as a 5 seed today.  Hate that 5-12 matchup.  Has 4 BE teams in, including SJU.  MU, NOVA, SH and SJU.

As far as the ACC Tournament, that is just crazy.  Three of the top 5 teams in the country in the semifinals, along with an extremely hot Florida State team.

If either Wisconsin or K-State lose tonight and MU wins, I think they go back up to the 4.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
Current bracketology on ESPN has us a 5 seed playing Murray State in the first round. That would be very, very bad..

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »

Although I don't see us getting up to a 3 seed, the 3s are not "already set".  The committee has penciled in the top 3 seed lines in preparation for this weekend's work, but there are not set.

Having said that, Gus Johnson last night predicted that MU could get as high as a 3 if they win the BET.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
Current bracketology on ESPN has us a 5 seed playing Murray State in the first round. That would be very, very bad..

I don't see it.  Ja is great.  That team is not great.  They're good enough that if we play awful they'll beat us, but any 11/12/13 seed will be good enough to beat us if we play awful.  I would expect a 10-15 point win against them.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:04 AM »
Didn't we clobber Murray State in the tournament years ago, when they had another star, Isaiah Cannon?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
Didn't we clobber Murray State in the tournament years ago, when they had another star, Isaiah Cannon?

We played a very tight game with them in the 2nd round when they were like 30-1 going into the NCAA Tournament.  They were very good.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »
Having said that, Gus Johnson last night predicted that MU could get as high as a 3 if they win the BET.

It would take such a perfect storm, I just can't see it. Would have to move up 2 seed lines in 2 days. That is nearly unthinkable, especially as conference tournament games usually aren't weighted as heavily as the regular season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »

Depends on your definition of "clobber." They were leading at halftime and it was a very close game throughout. We finally pulled away, partly on FTs, to win by 9.

I remember it well because Mrs. 82 and I were driving back from Fla to NC and we stopped at a Chili's to watch it. We sat in the bar, and I was cheering throughout. Not crazy crazy, but definitely getting into the game. There was one borderline call with about 2 minutes to go, and I bellowed, "Noooooo!"

Some guy turns around and says, "We get it. You want Marquette. I've got my family here. Can't we eat in peace?" And I said: "It's the bar area. We're supposed to have fun here. If you want to dine, maybe try the dining room?" I smiled as I said it, and the other patrons laughed, and the guy left us alone after that.

I admit that I did tone it down a little after that, but I also exchanged high-fives with several strangers (who weren't even MU fans that I know of), at the final horn. That guy wasn't one of them ... but his kids were!!!

It's college sports. It's supposed to be fun, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 09:02:53 AM »
Clobber, win, whatever, I just didn't recall the score, just the Cannon hype at the time.  We beat them with a star player and would probably do the same with Morant. 
Thanks. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
Clobber, win, whatever, I just didn't recall the score, just the Cannon hype at the time.  We beat them with a star player and would probably do the same with Morant. 
Thanks.

Yes.  But in my opinion the Murray State team we beat that year was very, very legit, while this year they are much more one superstar and then just a lot of meh.  Ja is better than Isaiah was, but that year's Murray State team was much better than this year's is.

If my memory of that year is correct, 7 seed Florida beat 2 seed Missouri and opened up the bracket, and then Bradley Beal went off on Marquette in the Sweet 16.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:15:08 AM by wadesworld »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »

The NCAA put us in Louisville, closer to Murray in a game right after Kentucky. Cal told all the UK faithful to stay and cheer Murray. Besides MU fans (1000), only Louisville season ticket holders who bought tickets but didn’t travel to see the Cards were cheering for MU.  15,000 Murray State fans. It was one tough game, but MU basically beat up MSU who weren’t used to that physicality.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
Yes.  But in my opinion the Murray State team we beat that year was very, very legit, while this year they are much more one superstar and then just a lot of meh.  Ja is better than Isaiah was, but that year's Murray State team was much better than this year's is.

If my memory of that year is correct, 7 seed Florida beat 2 seed Missouri and opened up the bracket, and then Bradley Beal went off on Marquette in the Sweet 16.

Missouri lost in the first round to the Norfolk State team that we beat twice. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »

Why would that be very, very bad?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »

That's exactly correct.

Murray State was 31-1 entering that game v. Marquette.  Ranked in the top 10, but they got a #6 seed, and playing in Louisville.  Tough game but Marquette pulled away in the second half.  My recollection is Jae had a pretty big game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »

Murray State is one of those classic, solid mid-majors who are going to be a "hard out" in the tournament.  They play a style similar to St. John's so I think match-ups could be an issue.  Though last year WVU roughed them up in the first round.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
The NCAA put us in Louisville, closer to Murray in a game right after Kentucky. Cal told all the UK faithful to stay and cheer Murray. Besides MU fans (1000), only Louisville season ticket holders who bought tickets but didn’t travel to see the Cards were cheering for MU.  15,000 Murray State fans. It was one tough game, but MU basically beat up MSU who weren’t used to that physicality.

Yeah, thats it.  I remember now, it was a big deal and the hype.  Thanks

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »

Ahh yes that's right.  Forgot about that.

Murray State is one of those classic, solid mid-majors who are going to be a "hard out" in the tournament.  They play a style similar to St. John's so I think match-ups could be an issue.  Though last year WVU roughed them up in the first round.

I personally just don't see it with Murray State.  Hopefully I don't have to eat my words, and I suppose they could have Ja just go off in a first round game and pull off the upset, but I think a team like Belmont is the type of mid major that might be a tough out (I'd say Wofford, but at this point they aren't going to sneak up on anyone and might be favored in their first round game).

onepost

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »

No it wouldn't.  Morant is solid but this Murray State team is not that good, and not nearly as good as they were when we played them in 2012.
I'd gladly see Murray in the 1st round.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
We beat them once by something like 40 and then in the same tournament, but a bucket, holding our breath when they missed a desperation shot in St. Thomas. I remember, as I was there. Flew out with the Norfolk State team.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »

They have a superstar and are the #4 3P% defense in the nation... obviously they play weak competition but the only worse matchup (to me) would be an athletic underperforming high major team that thrives on forcing turnovers and slashing to the rim (think Florida for example).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 11:53:17 AM »

No, it was a stress burger on St. Patrick's Day.  We were losing late and pulled it out.  Not enjoyable for my stomach.

feedback