[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This week 25 Years Ago it started with this. MCC conference announcement.  (Read 6089 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
Not sure why I kept this paper but it was a big deal at the time.

The Lens

• All American
We were in a conference with Evansville and now we're poised for a share of the Big East title.  An amazing ride.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
I had to stop myself from punching the image of Bob Dukiet on my computer screen.

We were in a conference with Evansville and now we're poised for a share of the Big East title.  An amazing ride.

Honestly, it has been incredible!  That was my sophomore year at MU.

WarriorHal

• All American
And Evansville usually kicked the crap out of us, if I recall correctly. Or they at least usually beat us and was often the best team in that conference.

Benny B

• All American
I didn't know that controversial poets could read.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

77fan88warrior

• All American
You saved it because of Jim Coleman's prose. I went to school with Jim and I hope he was able to handle the whole Penn St. mess. I'm not sure there was a more dedicated Penn St. fan.

The Equalizer

• All American
And Evansville usually kicked the crap out of us, if I recall correctly. Or they at least usually beat us and was often the best team in that conference.

So did Xavier and Butler.  Lets hope things have changed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A classmate and I had a radio show on WMUR at the time....we had Len Kasper call in from Chicago to do a live remote with us.  Len was in our class and reporting from the MCC meetings where it was announced that our independent days were over and MU was joining a conference.  Still have the cassette tape from that show.  For some of you here, you probably have no idea what a cassette tape is. 

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
I had to stop myself from punching the image of Bob Dukiet on my computer screen.

Truly, the Dark Ages of MU basketball

Knight Commission

• All American
A classmate and I had a radio show on WMUR at the time....we had Len Kasper call in from Chicago to do a live remote with us.  Len was in our class and reporting from the MCC meetings where it was announced that our independent days were over and MU was joining a conference.  Still have the cassette tape from that show.  For some of you here, you probably have no idea what a cassette tape is.  

I'm pretty sure this is not accurate as Len was not at MU our freshman year (class of 91). Joe Metz ran the show that year. After Joe graduated in 88 he told Betsy that I was supposed to inherit the mens bball press pass and broadcast the games on WMUR, but the Communications School equiment was stolen during the summer of 88....New equipment was bought a couple years later and that paved the way for Len to do the games (who graduated in 93, I believe).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:10:36 PM by Knight Commission »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Loyola of Chicago.  Forgot about them being in that conference.  But then again, they did beat DePaul this season.
Ludum habemus.

muwarrior69

• All American
A classmate and I had a radio show on WMUR at the time....we had Len Kasper call in from Chicago to do a live remote with us.  Len was in our class and reporting from the MCC meetings where it was announced that our independent days were over and MU was joining a conference.  Still have the cassette tape from that show.  For some of you here, you probably have no idea what a cassette tape is.  

Cassette tape...that's too advanced for me. Still have my grandfathers's Enrico Caruso 78 rpm records. Don't have a cylinder player, but I kept a couple of those old cylinders as well for sentimental reasons.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Loyola of Chicago.  Forgot about them being in that conference.  But then again, they did beat DePaul this season.

I used to think it odd we were playing the "Hobos".

MUMonster03

• All American

But with the independents in basketball at the time quickly dieing we had to do something. This was also before the days of chartered flights and teams criss crossing the country all the time, back when conferences were geographically based instead of money driven

GGGG

• All American
But with the independents in basketball at the time quickly dieing we had to do something. This was also before the days of chartered flights and teams criss crossing the country all the time, back when conferences were geographically based instead of money driven

It would have been nice to join the Metro...but that was probably not an option.

Knight Commission

• All American

And Jim Crews was their head coach.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
And Jim Crews was their head coach.

And they wore smocks and were led by Chaka Chandler.  Oh my, has MU come a loooooooooong way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I'm pretty sure this is not accurate as Len was not at MU our freshman year (class of 91). Joe Metz ran the show that year. After Joe graduated in 88 he told Betsy that I was supposed to inherit the mens bball press pass and broadcast the games on WMUR, but the Communications School equiment was stolen during the summer of 88....New equipment was bought a couple years later and that paved the way for Len to do the games (who graduated in 93, I believe).

Yes, Len graduated in 1993.  It may have been our announcement that we joined the Great Midwest Conference.  I have the tape, problem is that I no longer have anything to play it with.  LOL.  If I recall, the date is on the cassette so I'll have to double check.  You may be right and I'm mixing up MCC announcement with GMC announcement.

The Lens

• All American
Look, Len was in the College of Communications.  No one would blame him if he took 6 years to get through that rigorous academic maze.  Not all of us can get out in 4.  I did it, fellow '97 grads Anthony Pieper and Faisal Abraham did it, but it's not for everyone.  It's sort of the Harvard of Marquette.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American

Joe Metz.   One of my favorite freshman floormates, basketball teammates, New Yorker's, sports-know-it-alls of all time.     Taken from us all way to soon when he stepped off a curb while looking the wrong way back around 89 or so.    The number of times he and I were yelling at each other over a beer....     It drove him crazy that I would defend him hard in pick-up games.   He shot his jumper left-handed and started it down near the back of his neck.   It used to irk him to no end that I would strip his shot from the side.     And he loved doing sports on MUR.    I had so much fun being news director there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chuck

• Walk-On
Hey -- I took that photo!! Jim Coleman called me at my apartment at 24th and Wells, asking me to scurry down to the hotel because he couldn't find any Tribune staff photographers!
Joe Metz was a one-of-a-kind guy.
-Chuck Ulie

tower912

• All American
Agreed.   Hi, Chuck.    Sean Murray
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Norm

• All American
Joe Metz.   One of my favorite freshman floormates, basketball teammates, New Yorker's, sports-know-it-alls of all time.     Taken from us all way to soon when he stepped off a curb while looking the wrong way back around 89 or so.  
Are you serious? He was killed by stepping off a curb and getting hit by a car? Was that on campus? I was there in '89 but don't remember that happening to a MU student. I remember a girl being run over in a hit-n-run outside of Murphy's when it was on the corner of 16th and Wells.

real chili 83

• All American
Agreed.   Hi, Chuck.    Sean Murray

WMUR grad here too.  From the basement of Schroeder Hall.  Used to bring my old albums down on my shift.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:11:03 PM by real chili 83 »

tower912

• All American
Are you serious? He was killed by stepping off a curb and getting hit by a car? Was that on campus? I was there in '89 but don't remember that happening to a MU student. I remember a girl being run over in a hit-n-run outside of Murphy's when it was on the corner of 16th and Wells.

No.   He was in grad school at Loyola (Md).   A high school friend of mine was there in undergrad at the time and called me a couple of days later because of the MU connection.  Wanted to know if I knew Joe.   Boggled my mind. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

Honestly, it has been incredible!  That was my sophomore year at MU.

If you had ever played for him, you probably wouldn't have been able to stop yourself.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TVDirector

• All American
WMUR grad here too.  From the basement of Schroeder hall. Used to ring my old albums down on my shift. 

ditto.
final year there, then move to J hall

4everwarriors

• All American
A classmate and I had a radio show on WMUR at the time....we had Len Kasper call in from Chicago to do a live remote with us.  Len was in our class and reporting from the MCC meetings where it was announced that our independent days were over and MU was joining a conference.  Still have the cassette tape from that show.  For some of you here, you probably have no idea what a cassette tape is. 

Sure it wasn't an 8 track?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American

Wow. The strangest part is the references to "similar programs." Marquette, Xavier and Butler weathered the storm ultimately, the rest have to ask "if only......"

And how was Notre Dame an "associate member?" Did that mean all sports but hoops?

Did DePaul remain independent until the Great Midwest?

That post really makes me thankful for Kevin O'Neill and Bill Cords.
We Are Marquette

The Love House

• Starter
I was getting stoned on my couch at the Love House when I read that announcement back in 1988. I remember thinking that finally we were going to get back to the NCAA tourney next year - yeah, right. Then I ate a leftover slice of pizza from Guiliano's (the Summer Special), watched a re-run of Mr. Belvedere, skipped class and went to the Lanche to drink 50 cent Red White and Blues all afternoon. Ah, the good old days...

BossplayaOtto

• All American

And the Purple Aces did it wearing short sleeved jerseys.  Always thought those jerseys looked ridiculous.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
Look, Len was in the College of Communications.  No one would blame him if he took 6 years to get through that rigorous academic maze.  Not all of us can get out in 4.  I did it, fellow '97 grads Anthony Pieper and Faisal Abraham did it, but it's not for everyone.  It's sort of the Harvard of Marquette.

Too unnatural carnal knowledgeing funny.  Hilarious - made my day, thanks.

klyrish

• All American
I didn't know that controversial poets could read.

I want to know more about that story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
WMUR grad here too.  From the basement of Schroeder Hall.  Used to bring my old albums down on my shift.  

Fun times....but when I was on WMUR it wasn't in the basement and it was at Johnston Hall.  It was on the 4th or 5th floor if I recall.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
Fun times....but when I was on WMUR it wasn't in the basement and it was at Johnston Hall.  It was on the 4th or 5th floor if I recall.

It's still in Johnston Hall unless they moved it after 08.  I had a show for my freshman year.  Not sports related and it was from 12am-2am.  I didn't sleep much and doing the show was kinda cathartic.

mug644

• All American
Joe Metz.   One of my favorite freshman floormates, basketball teammates, New Yorker's, sports-know-it-alls of all time.     Taken from us all way to soon when he stepped off a curb while looking the wrong way back around 89 or so.    The number of times he and I were yelling at each other over a beer....     It drove him crazy that I would defend him hard in pick-up games.   He shot his jumper left-handed and started it down near the back of his neck.   It used to irk him to no end that I would strip his shot from the side.     And he loved doing sports on MUR.    I had so much fun being news director there.   

Tower...I just sent you a PM trying to figure if we lived McCormick together. Check your messages.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
No.   He was in grad school at Loyola (Md).   A high school friend of mine was there in undergrad at the time and called me a couple of days later because of the MU connection.  Wanted to know if I knew Joe.   Boggled my mind. 

Joe Metz, haven't heard that name in years, this thread has brought back some memories! A year behind Joe, he always reminded me of  Bill Hanzlick, for some reason. Met him and his crew (Chris Sheridan and two others, can see their face but not name) at OP's freshman year and talked sports for hours, which continued throughout MU; hated to hear the news how he passed, loved yelling sports with Joe - RIP.

tower912

• All American
If you were with Joe Metz and Chris Sheridan, then Joe Burke was probably with them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Sure it wasn't an 8 track?

Man, I had an old Akai 10" reel-to-reel. I think each tape had 10 hours of music. It was great for parties.

Death on call

77fan88warrior

• All American
If you were with Joe Metz and Chris Sheridan, then Joe Burke was probably with them.

Here is a picture that tells you everything about Joe Metz.

tower912

• All American
MU hat, Mets jersey at Wrigley.   A good kid, a good friend.