[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon....."I felt boxed in...."  (Read 6099 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Maymon....."I felt boxed in...."
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
Marquette had a different idea of the role I was going to play for them, moving me to post,'' Maymon said. "I consider myself pretty versatile and coachable, but they weren't going to change their minds.

"I felt boxed in, going block to block, and I wasn't getting my hands on the ball that much.''

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/apr/30/finding-a-home-at-ut/

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
Re: Maymon....."I felt boxed in...."
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
Maymon said, "Tobias' dad, Torrel, got to be friends with my dad..."

Bet those guys went tearing it up at the Waffle Houses across the Mid-South

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
The comments at the bottom looking for post presence and rebounding are hysterically funny.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MarquetteDano

• All American
Everyone down one slot
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »
The NBA is really doing its best to ruin college basketball.  Of the cadre of things that the NBA has done to make the game worse, the one that is really starting to anger me is that everyone trying to play a position lower than they belong.

Maymon figures he cannot make it to be NBA as a 4, so he demands to play the 2/3.  Rosiak's article on Blue indicates he wants to play the 1. Now ultimately he may play there but next year my guess is that IN ORDER TO HELP THE TEAM he will need to play the 2 and 3.

NBA is successfully turning college b-ball into their minor league system.  I am surprised that college hasn't instituted 24 second shot clocks or make zones illegal.  Not to mention the "one-and-done" thing or the various in-game rule changes that make it more in line with the NBA.

It's a shame.   >:(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:49:42 AM by MarquetteDano »

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Interesting to note that Pearl fully intends to use Team Maymon down low in the blocks. All the comments from UT and its fans are about Team Maymon's promise in the post. But look at Jeronne's comments. He speaks of playing the 3, being a "slasher", and how his 3 shot is nothing but sweetness coming off his hands. Pathetic. I cannot wait for the fireworks to begin in Knoxville.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »
zone defense is legal in the NBA now. Has been for a few years.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
zone defense is legal in the NBA now. Has been for a few years.

However, you cannot do anything you like defensively the NBA, thus limiting zone defenses tremendously.  You still see "illegal defense" called in the NBA.  I believe you cannot spend more than three seconds in the lane if you are not defending an opposing player.

Stupid rule.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
Saw this in the comments at the bottom and laughed...

Quote from: HTownVol
I hope he can give us some post scoring. We will need some guys that can post up. And hold his own on D. Kenny Hall has got to add at least 25 lbs before he can think about posting up.

Just what Maymon wants, another place where they will expect him to play in the post. You may have felt boxed in at Marquette, but at Tennessee, they're expecting you to be boxing out too :D

I really feel bad for Jeronne. MarquetteDano's comments are spot on. His dad sees Jeronne as his meal ticket, and is pushing his entire college career based on his NBA prospects. I'll be curious to see what happens if Bruce does try to use him at the 4 this year. Will he be looking to transfer again in 2011?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Everyone down one slot
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »
The NBA is really doing its best to ruin college basketball.  Of the cadre of things that the NBA has done to make the game worse, the one that is really starting to anger me is that everyone trying to play a position lower than they belong.

Maymon figures he cannot make it to be NBA as a 4, so he demands to play the 2/3.  Rosiak's article on Blue indicates he wants to play the 1. Now ultimately he may play there but next year my guess is that IN ORDER TO HELP THE TEAM he will need to play the 2 and 3.

NBA is successfully turning college b-ball into their minor league system.  I am surprised that college hasn't instituted 24 second shot clocks or make zones illegal.  Not to mention the "one-and-done" thing or the various in-game rule changes that make it more in line with the NBA.

Big deal, Wade never played the 1 for a second in college basketball and now routinely brings up the ball....I doubt Blue expects to handle the ball from day 1. I'll agree the NBA should get rid of the one year post high school rule, its ridiculous to prevent a 18 year old from making a living and it only HURTS college basketball.  

But don't blame the NBA for delusional young players that think they can play in the NBA...if they were halfway intelligent they'd realize that making the NBA and staying in the NBA for more then 2 years is a long shot.  In the case of Maymon its a pipe dream, don't see why that's the NBA's fault. These guys should feel grateful to get a free education and take advantage of it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
"I felt boxed in, going block to block, and I wasn't getting my hands on the ball that much.''

Dude. It was December when you left.

Do you EXPECT to touch the ball A LOT with three seniors (one named Zar), Butler, Buycks, AND DJO?

Impatient...impetuous...impudent
SS Marquette

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »
Impatient...impetuous...impudent

Impertinent, impulsive, imbecile

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Infantile, Insidious, Idiotic.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
Boxed in Bro? You haven't seen boxed yet. Wait until your kin, Tobias Harris, plays ahead of your heine and the boxed in you're feeling is on the Vols' pine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »
10 games is not enough time to feel anything (boxed or not).  Jeez.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
Actually, JMay, that boxed in feeling you had was just gas pains.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Let's just leave JMay alone.  See how he progresses at Tennessee.  I think he'll be a decent player for them, but certainly won't be playing much 3 for them.  While like everyone else, I do feel his transfer from MU was very, very premature, he is a talented guy.  Just as some have said he only played 10 games at MU, his ability and talent shouldn't be judged on his first 10 games as a collegiate athlete.  His rebounding numbers were quite good if you look at rebounds per minute, and he showed a good feel for passing.  The slashing part we all question, as he mentioned in the article.

Last thought is that to me, what is saddest about all of this is that Buzz Williams has shown an ability to get the absolute most out of a players talent - Cooby, Mo Acker, Wes, Jimmy B.  I find it hard to believe that if JMay had chosen to see it through at MU, he wouldn't have become the absolute best basketball player, and person he could have become.  Buzz knows how to get the most out of his guys - JMay would have maximized his potential at MU.  That said, I think he'll have a decent career at UT.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Let's just leave JMay alone.  See how he progresses at Tennessee.  I think he'll be a decent player for them, but certainly won't be playing much 3 for them.  While like everyone else, I do feel his transfer from MU was very, very premature, he is a talented guy.  Just as some have said he only played 10 games at MU, his ability and talent shouldn't be judged on his first 10 games as a collegiate athlete.  His rebounding numbers were quite good if you look at rebounds per minute, and he showed a good feel for passing.  The slashing part we all question, as he mentioned in the article.

Last thought is that to me, what is saddest about all of this is that Buzz Williams has shown an ability to get the absolute most out of a players talent - Cooby, Mo Acker, Wes, Jimmy B.  I find it hard to believe that if JMay had chosen to see it through at MU, he wouldn't have become the absolute best basketball player, and person he could have become.  Buzz knows how to get the most out of his guys - JMay would have maximized his potential at MU.  That said, I think he'll have a decent career at UT.
Agreed.  He'll do fine once he understands what he really is, an undersized 4.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

Here, here.  And people who have watched Tennessee play over the past 4-5 seasons have seen the very opposite... extremely talented players who play quite undisciplined.  It's hard to tell at times what Tenn is even trying to do offensively.  Scaring thing is that they are still good despite the disorganization.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
Ners - i have disagreed with you in the past, but I will absolutely agree on this.  This is a good example of why players should choose coaches and programs, not particular playing situations.  Even if you think you are NBA material, 2 - 4 years is a long time in one place and will undoubtedly have its ups and downs.  What players need to do is pick the program that gives them the best people to get through those down periods and trust that they will become the best player they can be.  That's why it always boggles my mind when people criticize players for reopening their recruitment when a coach that recruited him leaves.  That coach is the number one reason they ever commit in the first place.

That being said, this makes me feel bad for J-May more than anything.  I think Buzz could have done great things for him, as he has for undersized players and pseudo swingmen the past couple years.  Its easy to see that there were a lot of influences pulling the kid in a lot of directions, and he never really got the chance to just be an 18 year old in a totally new situation.  Then again, I think he is in a pretty okay situation now too if he ever sees the floor. He's easy to hate from the outside, but Bruce Pearl seems like a really good guy to play for, and despite his totally different style (from Buzz), always seems to have his players backs and really cares about them as people.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »

Really?  If I had the size and skill to play in the league, I'd be at the college I felt could best get me there.  In Maymon's specific case, I think he had a great role model in Lazar...

mviale

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23:03 PM »
Jmay is a good player. Lets move on as it didn't work out for both sides.  We are better without him and he is probably better off in a less discipline atmosphere.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »

Please, absolutely ridiculous.  Perhaps you would like to see them remove the shot clock all together, possibly take out the 3 point line.  

What should the nba do to rectify the problem?  Recruit people who can't play in their league?  Stop drafting college kids all together?   Or do you just want it to not exist?

He's a selfish player who was manipulated by a delusional parent, happens all the time in all sports.

How exactly is the one and done rule ruining college basketball?  I thought this last year was an amazing tourney and several one and done kids were part of that.   The fact that john wall is getting drafted shouldn't be what bothers you.  It's the fact that he doesn't go to class, and that is the NCAA's fault.  Blame the right people.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »
 It's the fact that he doesn't go to class, and that is the NCAA's fault.

Well, it's mostly Kentucky's fault right now.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
Maymon's best chance at the NBA would be as a poor man's Barkely. Like Barkely, Maymon is a tweener----as such like Barkely his best position will be to work wide of the lane (wide post). There, size isn't paramount----what is paramount is technique.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »
Please, absolutely ridiculous.  Perhaps you would like to see them remove the shot clock all together, possibly take out the 3 point line.  

What should the nba do to rectify the problem?  Recruit people who can't play in their league?  Stop drafting college kids all together?   Or do you just want it to not exist?

He's a selfish player who was manipulated by a delusional parent, happens all the time in all sports.

How exactly is the one and done rule ruining college basketball?  I thought this last year was an amazing tourney and several one and done kids were part of that.   The fact that john wall is getting drafted shouldn't be what bothers you.  It's the fact that he doesn't go to class, and that is the NCAA's fault.  Blame the right people.

Outside of NBA apologists, most people agree the one and done rule has been bad for college basketball.  We could do a poll here and I can all but guarantee what the results would be.  The OJ Mayo situation, Rose situation.... not good.  I will agree that the NCAA and the schools and... ahem, students, have to take some of the blame for what has happened regarding the one and done.

I am not asking the NBA to do anything.  Their rules and style will continue to creep into college basketball.  I think it is to the NBA's advantage that it has.  I think it many cases it has been to the detriment to college basketball.

There are many fans that are either NBA fans or college fans.  There is crossover, no doubt, but I think it would nice to have differentiation between the two.  I see no advantage in having them both "look" the same.

Regarding the three-point shot, let's not pretend the NBA came up with this concept.  It was first tested in college well before the NBA existed, and when it was first introduced consistently in basketball it was the ABA who did it, not the NBA.  In terms of basketball history, the NBA is basically a "johnny come lately".

I do believe the shot clock has been an improvement to the college game and the NBA can take credit for that.  However, I prefered the previous 45 second shot clock (probably in the minority on this issue).  By the way, the NCAA has discussed moving the shot clock to 30 seconds (I can only hope this does not get passed).

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »
Maymon's best chance at the NBA would be as a poor man's Barkely. Like Barkely, Maymon is a tweener----as such like Barkely his best position will be to work wide of the lane (wide post). There, size isn't paramount----what is paramount is technique.
Barkely had a lot more boucne than Maymon has.  CB could rebound with anyone with his bounce and bulk.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »
I do believe the shot clock has been an improvement to the college game and the NBA can take credit for that.  However, I prefered the previous 45 second shot clock (probably in the minority on this issue).  By the way, the NCAA has discussed moving the shot clock to 30 seconds (I can only hope this does not get passed).

Alright I figured it out...being a fan of the 45 second shot clock must make you

A) A big 10 fan and probably badger troll
B) A women's college basketball fan (which probably means you are a former womens player or parent)
C) Adolph Rupp

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
Alright I figured it out...being a fan of the 45 second shot clock must make you

B) A women's college basketball fan (which probably means you are a former womens player or parent)

Isn't the women's shot clock 30 seconds in the NCAA?  Not sure... don't watch a lot of women's games.

I recognize I am in the minority at that one but I will say this:  a five second shot clock ensures every offense will basically be the same.  Every five seconds you add to it will make for more diverse offenses.  I like watching a team like the William & Mary (much slower pace than the Badgers) face Washington.  The contrasting styles makes it interesting.  The reason why the Big Ten seems boring is because too many teams have similar styles/paces not because a single team plays a slow pace.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »
Isn't the women's shot clock 30 seconds in the NCAA?  Not sure... don't watch a lot of women's games.

I recognize I am in the minority at that one but I will say this:  a five second shot clock ensures every offense will basically be the same.  Every five seconds you add to it will make for more diverse offenses.  I like watching a team like the William & Mary (much slower pace than the Badgers) face Washington.  The contrasting styles makes it interesting.  The reason why the Big Ten seems boring is because too many teams have similar styles/paces not because a single team plays a slow pace.

It is 30.  I notice that it speeds up their game a bit and makes women's teams, who are often more methodical and fundamental-based than men's teams, work a bit quicker.

feedback