[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 Seed vs 7 South Carolina 8:50pm Friday  (Read 10853 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: 10 Seed vs 7 South Carolina
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
When do they come out with game times?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:28 PM »
The Warriors will slay the gamecocks!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
BRING ON THE COCKS!!!
That's what she said.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
Omg it's over. No way Marquette can win away games, let alone one against a stellar team like South Carolina that has lost 6 out of its last 9.

My point is I am just happy they are in. Rest is gravy to me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
When do they come out with game times?

Usually this evening.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
Btw this region was supposed to be in Greensboro, NC but was moved due to the bathroom bill.

As someone living in Greensboro right now, FML

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
What is South Carolina's game like? How do we match up with them?

Know nothing about South Carolina, but at least they're not a tall team, so that's good.  Their starters are 6'1", 6'2", 6'5", 6'6", 6'10".

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
This thread is silly.  I don't care if its in SC, South Carolina isn't very good at basketball.  I'd much rather play them at home then a team like Michigan right now. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
What is South Carolina's game like? How do we match up with them?

They can't score...at all. MU gets up 10-12 on them early, it's gonna be tough for SC to come back.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
This has been the first time that i've ever even been able to think about going.... anyone know how tickets work?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
http://www.scout.com/college/marquette/story/545125-celebrating-alumni-jim-chones

Marquettehoops.com: Can you talk about the fight with South Carolina and your tussle with 7'1'' Danny Traylor?
Chones: For starters, the two coaches, Al and Frank McGuire, didn't like each other very much. You know what it is like when two Irish guys don't like each other, they don't hold back. As for the game, we didn't get a call for probably three quarters. They also had a 6-11 left hander who was just the enforcer in the ACC. I think his name was Richert or something. The entire South Carolina team just beat up other teams. Dean Smith even petitioned the league to put an end to it. So they had a huge team. They were very skilled too. There were cheap shots flying during the game like the kind that we would only see on the playground.
I will never forget it. Bob Lackey was on the free throw line and Richert took the ball and threw it at Lackey after he made his first free throw. Immediately after that, Lackey looked at Al and Al didn't move. He was just sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. We all knew what that meant. Lackey picked the ball up and drilled Richert in the face. All of a sudden, there were people all over the floor and the two teams were fighting.
In the middle of the fight, Danny Traylor looks at me and was probably thinking, "He looks pretty skinny, I'll go after him." I actually got the guy pretty good. I popped him right in the chin actually. Soon after that, a security guard from the arena peeled me off of him. This guard opened his jacket and pulled out a gun on me and then, I knew the fight was over. But we whipped the (junk) out of them. The fans kept calling us racial names because we were mostly black and they didn't have any black players. That was the times, you know? Through all of this, Al was still sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. Al finally got up and took all of us off of the floor and into the locker room. They already had all of our things packed in our bags and instead of staying over night, they told us we were getting out of South Carolina as soon as we could. It was incredible.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
I'll take a vulnerable team like South Carolina at home ANY DAY over a bad matchup in Indy. SO GLAD TO BE BACK.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Pomeroy -

Marquette #28
South Carolina #31

South Carolina is #3 defensively and #149 offensively.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
Nice to be back playing in March. Congrats to the program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »
Hate the venue but love the match-up. Elite defense/crap offense vs elite offense/crap defense. I like our odds
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »
Guys, a bit of hubris, we haven't officially accepted the invite.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/posts/1146302855482196:0

The most vicious and chaotic brawl in Marquette history erupted on this date in 1972, when Al's 2nd ranked Warriors traveled to Columbia, South Carolina to defeat future Milwaukee Buck Brian Winters and Frank McGuire's 4th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks 72-71 in an epic, nationally televised contest that was so wild and intense it became the subject of a feature article in the following week's Sports Illustrated.

“It is against my better judgment to go play in Columbia, South Carolina,” Al admitted in the days leading up to the game.

Al had traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina ahead of his team to visit old friends from his days coaching at Belmont Abbey College, about 15 minutes west of Charlotte.

"I left Milwaukee this morning," Al said on the Wednesday before the Sunday game, "and my assistant asked me where I was going. This is a big game. Kids get ready for big games. It's the easy ones you have to worry about."

Frank McGuire (no relation), who won a National Championship with North Carolina in 1957, was Al's mentor and friend, and had actually begun his college coaching career at St. John's in 1947 when Al was a freshman and his brother Dick a junior.

In fact, it was Frank McGuire who, while still coaching at North Carolina, had recommended Al to the Benedictine monks of Belmont Abbey, which was just down the road from Chapel Hill.

Frank McGuire also eventually recommended Al to the Jesuit priests at Marquette after he turned the Warrior job down to coach the Gamecocks in 1964.

"I thought he would leave me there forever to die in a monastery," Al liked to joke.

“But I owe a lot to Frank,” said Al.  “I respect him very much but this is no love affair.  I’ll just have to step away from him for a couple hours on Sunday afternoon.”

"The student-against-teacher situation tears your gut out," continued Al.  "I'd give anything not to play this game. But, really, I consider it a favor to me to do a favor for Frank. Maybe it's the first time I ever get to pay him back for all he's done. Loyalty-- that's what he always taught us....This man-- I have to show respect.  I don't know if I can wash out what this man means to me for the time it takes to win a game."

Apparently, Al could and did.

Despite the showing of friendship and respect between Al and his old coach, Al's All-American center Jim Chones wasn't fooled.

"For starters, the two coaches, Al and Frank McGuire, didn't like each other very much," recalls Chones. "You know what it's like when two Irish guys don't like each other, they don't hold back."

In the 2nd half, South Carolina sophomore Ed Peterson came off the bench to score 14 points and help engineer a late Gamecock run from 12 down to go up by one with 2:35 left.

"My assistant coach scouted them and must have got mixed up about Peterson," Al muttered later. "I said, 'Who is the guy?' and he makes five baskets in a row."

With just over 1:00 left in the game, Allie McGuire hit two free throws and the Warrior defense shut down the Gamecocks on two straight possessions to eke out the 1-point win and improve Marquette's record to 9-0.

Chones was the game's top scorer with 17 points while Marcus Washington chipped in with 16 and Larry McNeill 15.

But the scoring and the relationship between Al and Frank McGuire were only part of the story.

Sports Illustrated's Curry Kirkpatrick described the game as "a savage and bloody conflict" in which "several brawls had broken out" with "a good three minutes of heavy punching on both sides."

Kirkpatrick added that "(Bob) Lackey elbowed (Tom) Riker in the neck," "Riker flashed a left cross on Lackey's side-whiskers," Chones "opened a nasty cut under (Danny) Traylor's eye," and "Larry McNeill grabbed a chair."

According to the Milwaukee Sentinel’s Bob Wolf, even “little Marcus Washington got into three secondary fights and was floored each time.”

"I was looking the other way and Riker just hit me,” explained Lackey, who needed two stitches to close his wound.  “There was no reason for it. He just hit me....The dude sucker-punched me."

Lackey protested that he had been unfairly ejected along with Riker and rationalized his involvement in the brawl by remarking after the game, "If I'm leavin', I want some action."

"Lackey hit me in the back of the head when the whistle blew-- at least he tried to, and that's good enough," said Riker after the game. "You're bound to get shoved and roughed up during the game, but after the whistle it's bush league so I tagged him."

“Riker punched Lackey,” recalled Al's former recruit Brian Winters while with the Bucks years later, “and Lackey pushed back, and they rolled on the floor.  It got to be a real melee, a real bad scene all around.”

But while Frank McGuire ran into the middle of the fray to help restore order, Al calmly remained on the bench, dismissively calling the wild fracas "a waltz."

"A bar-hall bouncer wouldn't take his coat off for this one," Al scoffed.

"As for the game, we didn't get a call for probably three quarters of it," remembers Chones. "They also had a 6'11" left-hander who was just the enforcer in the ACC. I think his name was Richert (Riker) or something. The entire South Carolina team just beat up other teams. Dean Smith even petitioned the league to put an end to it. So they had a huge team. They were very skilled too. There were cheap shots flying during the game like the kind that we would only see on the playground. I will never forget it. Bob Lackey was on the free throw line and Richert (Riker) took the ball and threw it at Lackey after he made his first free throw."

"Immediately after that, Lackey looked at Al and Al didn't move," continued Chones. "He was just sitting on the bench with his legs crossed. We all knew what that meant. Lackey picked the ball up and drilled Rickert in the face. All of a sudden, there were people all over the floor and the two teams were fighting. In the middle of the fight, Danny Traylor looks at me and was probably thinking, 'He looks pretty skinny, I'll go after him.' I actually got the guy pretty good. I popped him right on the chin actually. Soon after that, a security guard from the arena peeled me off of him. The guard opened his jacket and pulled out a gun on me and then I knew the fight was over. But we whipped the crap out of them. The fans kept calling us racial names because we were mostly black and they didn't have any black players. That was the times, you know?"

"Through all of this, Al was still sitting on the bench with his legs crossed," laughs Chones.  "Al finally got up and took all of us off of the floor and into the locker room. They already had all of our things packed in our bags and instead of staying overnight, they told us we were getting out of South Carolina as soon as we could.  It was incredible."

"Al claimed it wasn’t even a good barroom brawl, but it was something, believe me,” remembered Hank Raymonds years later.  “Some players grabbed steel chairs and were ready to use them as weapons.  I was right in the middle of it, too.”

“They (the South Carolina band) finally stopped it by playing the national anthem,” recalled Raymonds.

Indeed, an unimpressed Al simply said after the game, "The fight really meant nothing, it's best to ignore it."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »
Hate the venue but love the match-up. Elite defense/crap offense vs elite offense/crap defense. I like our odds

I don't.  We can't stop anyone so I imagine South Carolina will score on us.  #3 defense scares me as we do get into scoring droughts.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »
LOL.  A bunch of the Marriott hotel rooms jumped as much as $100/night over the past 45 mins.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »
     how does that go-the cocks are evil...was just thinkiing how we used to take this dance thing for granted every year-let's roll baby!
don't...don't don't don't don't

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
http://www.si.com/vault/1972/01/17/576301/you-know-me-al-right-frank-and-i-hate-to-do-it

Great article "just a dustup ..." I had forgotten this game.

Coach K verses Coach Wojo will not be as interesting, but it might be as intense. No doubt the players will feel it.

The basketball gods are a clever and nasty bunch to setup this bracket!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
Know nothing about South Carolina, but at least they're not a tall team, so that's good.  Their starters are 6'1", 6'2", 6'5", 6'6", 6'10".

Thornwell and Dozier are their players, both around 6ft 5 and are part of their 3 guard offense.

JJJ and Cheatham gonna be needed big time on defense.  Cut them off and MU has a chance.

Sidenote: If, and only if MU beats SC, then a matchup with Wojo's mentor.  That would be a great story for the tournament and you have to think whether the committee looks into such factors when seeding.
The game might be a replay of the Kansas NCAA game, but it would sure make for some good publicity and storylines.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Thornwell and Dozier are their players, both around 6ft 5 and are part of their 3 guard offense.

JJJ and Cheatham gonna be needed big time on defense.  Cut them off and MU has a chance.

Sidenote: If, and only if MU beats SC, then a matchup with Wojo's mentor.  That would be a great story for the tournament and you have to think whether the committee looks into such factors when seeding.
The game might be a replay of the Kansas NCAA game, but it would sure make for some good publicity and storylines.

If it happens I hope it goes better than the setup with Crean's mentor where I believe we set a record for least FGs in a half.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
Dook fans will pack the house as they always and they will cheer for Wojo against South Carolina.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »
Dook fans will pack the house as they always and they will cheer for Wojo against South Carolina.
That's an excellent point - hadn't thought of it from that side

feedback