'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Holly Ellenson speaks...  (Read 76646 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Holly Ellenson speaks...
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
FWIW I have a buddy who ran track at MU a few years back and he told me that they generally had a few portions of schollie's left over to give to kids who were coming back for their 4th year as a walk-on, that sort of thing.  So at worst a couple of kids have been told "ya about that scholarship we said you might get..."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
Can't do it.  Basketball is a headcount sport -- only allowed to have a max of 13 players on scholarship.  You can give them less than a full scholarship if you want,* you can't have more than 13 players receiving scholarship money.

*I can't imagine any serious basketball program would ever consider this.  I've always assumed that everyone in D1 (other than the Ivies) gives the max number of full scholarships, but I honestly don't know.  Perhaps some of the lower level D1 schools give fewer than the max number of less than full scholarships.

Two types of NCAA sports ...

Headcount sports like basketball.  Maximum is 13 full-rides.  That means 13 full-rides.  Cannot do 26 half-rides.  Which leads to ...

Equivalent sports.  Cross country and track are examples.  A full cross-country program has the money for 8 full rides.  12.5 for track.  That can be split up to as many players as you want, so long as the total money handed out does not exceed 8 for XC or 12.5 for track.

That said, many programs do give the one superstar on the team a full-ride.  That would be someone of all-American or NCAA championship caliber.  So Wally fits the bill.  Or, if Wally called MU track three years ago and said he wanted to only high jump, and even if he did not have brother Henry, based on his skill at the high jump, MU still might have given him a full-ride.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »

Headcount sports like basketball.  Maximum is 13 full-rides.  That means 13 full-rides.  Cannot do 26 half-rides.  Which leads to ...

Equivalent sports.  Cross country and track are examples.  A full cross-country program has the money for 8 full rides.  12.5 for track.  That can be split up to as many players as you want, so long as the total money handed out does not exceed 8 for XC or 12.5 for track.

That said, many programs do give the one superstar on the team a full-ride.  That would be someone of all-American or NCAA championship caliber.  So Wally fits the bill.  Or, if Wally called MU track three years ago and said he wanted to only high jump, and even if he did not have brother Henry, based on his skill at the high jump, MU still might have given him a full-ride.

Right. Which is why I don't have a problem with this. Wally is a world class track athlete.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
Why doesn't Henry just pay da tuition bill. Nothin' but chump change for him, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

Headcount sports like basketball.  Maximum is 13 full-rides.  That means 13 full-rides.  Cannot do 26 half-rides.

Not technically.  But for all practical purposes, you're correct.  I suspect virtually all D1 basketball scholarships are full ride -- certainly programs like Marquette.  I'd be interested to know what goes on in some smaller conferences (e.g., Patriot League).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

No offense, but I'm curious if you actually know this to be true, or if you're speculating.  It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and it certainly makes sense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
No offense, but I'm curious if you actually know this to be true, or if you're speculating.  It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and it certainly makes sense.

I know it to be true, I have a kid on a track D1 scholarship.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:01 PM »

Thanks.  I find there is a lot if misunderstanding -- including my own -- out there about how scholarships work in the equivalency sports and in the non-revenue headcount sports.  I've learned a lot about the latter and a little about the former in the last year.  Always happy to understand it all a little better.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »

John??? Holly??? Is that you??

Death on call

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »
Why doesn't Henry just pay da tuition bill. Nothin' but chump change for him, ai na?

(cue Alan Parsons Project intro theme...)

At Forward, 6'8" from Central Arkansas......SCOTTTTIEEE PIPPPENNNN!!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
She didn't really do much of anything. Whether the Ellenson family has a legit beef against Wojo/MU or they just have a difference in opinion of Wally's skills we don't know, but if she truly believes that her son was treated unfairly then she has every right to be upset. I would be. Every parent would be. And many would say a whole lot more than "smoke and mirrors."

Of course she has a right to however she feels. If she feels the need to vent her stuff on Twitter or whatever then I think she is a fool. Take up your objections with the principals involved. Everyone throwing there BS on Twitter or whatever gets old. Act like a grownup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »

Wally has a great situation in that he will be an Olympian.

Wally has already qualified for a spot on the U.S. Olympic team?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Sounds like we stole from the poor (track team) to give to the rich (the Ellensons) for the benefit of the super rich (basketball program). Cura Personalis!

Bingo!  We have another winner, folks!!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »
IF this is a helicopter parent issue and Holly Ellenson is Wojo's Tim Maymon then I say "well done coach Wojo"!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
We would not have a track team if not for basketball revenue.

Actually, we would.  We need 14 DI sports to be in DI.  We have exactly the minimum, so we would have track just to remain in the division.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
C'mon man, no school gives out partial basketball schollies. Ya either piss wit da big dudes, or not at all, ai na?

Correct, in fact you can't.  They are not able to split them up per the rules.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Correct, in fact you can't.  They are not able to split them up per the rules.

Your first sentence is incorrect. Your second sentence is correct.  Schools can give partials in headcount sports, but can't split one scholarship between two players.

I suppose from a purely semantic standpoint someone could say that two athletes getting partials are "splitting" a scholarship, but I don't think that would be correct. They are both just getting partials. But I'm not sure that ever happens in basketball like it does in some other headcount sports.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Your first sentence is incorrect. Your second sentence is correct.  Schools can give partials in headcount sports, but can't split one scholarship between two players.

I suppose from a purely semantic standpoint someone could say that two athletes getting partials are "splitting" a scholarship, but I don't think that would be correct. They are both just getting partials. But I'm not sure that ever happens in basketball like it does in some other headcount sports.
Chicos and others are correct.  Only full scholies in BB ( and FB) in div 1 (or whatever FB calls itself).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Chicos and others are correct.  Only full scholies in BB ( and FB) in div 1 (or whatever FB calls itself).

Where do you see that?  I believe that is probably the practice, but I'm not sure it's the rule. It is a common misconception that is not true in the non-revenue headcount sports. Is it a rule in BB and FB?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »

Actually, we would.  We need 14 DI sports to be in DI.  We have exactly the minimum, so we would have track just to remain in the division.

My point is, who would fund it?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2016, 11:34:25 PM »
My point is, who would fund it?

The school.  Most schools are upside down on athletics anyway, meaning there isn't enough revenue to fund their athletic programs from the revenue generated from revenue sports.  Student fees, other operating budgets provide the difference.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2016, 03:20:40 AM »
Wally has already qualified for a spot on the U.S. Olympic team?

No but from what I read, he is one of the best high jumpers in the USA. The chances he might qualify with training and work this summer appear reasonably good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2016, 06:26:06 AM »
No but from what I read, he is one of the best high jumpers in the USA. The chances he might qualify with training and work this summer appear reasonably good.

I hope you're right, and I'm not one who picks every little nit. But this is a far cry from "he will be an Olympian," no?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2016, 07:48:27 AM »
Which is ultimately the issue here.  If Wally is going to spend all his time this off-season training for the high-jump and not on basketball, then great for him and he gets a track scholarship next year to get his degree.  However, Wojo decided he needs that basketball scholarship for players that are actually going to be here training for basketball in the off-season.  Hopefully Wojo can work it all out and keep a decent relationship with the Ellenson's going forward.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2016, 07:58:08 AM »
Finished 12th at nationals last year and has never jumped the Olympic qualifying height in a competition as far as I can tell.