collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Waukesha Christmas Parade  (Read 22890 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Waukesha Christmas Parade
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
Maybe we should wait until all the facts come out?  But this goes well beyond "a terrible choice" or "a lifetime of terrible choices".  This is pure evil.

Agreed. Until then, calling it terrorism, with zero evidence to support that claim, and reporting narratives that disregard actual video evidence probably should be minimized.

The man is clearly evil, and deserves to spend the rest of his life rotting in a jail cell.

Can't believe no one posted the Family Guy (Mentally ill vs. Terrorist meme yet).

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
I recall going to "downtown" Waukesha years ago.  My memory is that it's not exactly off the 94 ramp and somewhat confusing to find.  Perhaps things have changed in 15 yrs but I don't see how it's conceivable to stumble upon "downtown" Waukesha unless you're going there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »
Speaking of narrative, NBC is now calling this incident an accident.

Here’s the description from their YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/TjoI33r5IQ0

“Video captured by a Ring camera appears to show Darrell Edward Brooks in front of a home before being arrested in connection to the Waukesha parade accident.”

That's stupid.

See how easy it is to shoot down a stupid narrative instead of just accepting it -- or even glorifying it (as in Tucker & Co. with KR-47) -- based on political leanings?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2021, 11:05:26 AM »
IBTL

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2021, 11:14:51 AM »
More narrative spinning from Wikipedia. Redirecting to a page that calls it a “car crash”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2021_Waukesha_Christmas_parade_car_rampage&redirect=no

CountryRoads, with all due respect, it seems like you've committed to this tragedy slotting into a framework somewhere within the larger social/political conflict endemic in the nation today. As with all things in the world, if you want to find conclusion X badly enough, when you look at a set of events you will absolutely find evidence for conclusion X. You've reflexively brought up "the narrative" multiple times and that suggests to me that you view this tragedy as a piece of evidence confirming your view of that larger social/political conflict, or at least believe this is relevant to it.

At some point the facts and evidence and investigation may well show that Brooks' heart and motives align with whatever it is you believe his heart and motives were such that it *does* slot into the larger social/political conflict. They may show that he was a deeply troubled man who made catastrophic choices (and spent a lifetime making catastrophic choices) and that this tragedy is merely the consequence of his profound failures as a person.

I'm not quite sure what good it does to obsess over wikipedia articles or the wording used in an NBC report.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
That's stupid.

See how easy it is to shoot down a stupid narrative instead of just accepting it -- or even glorifying it (as in Tucker & Co. with KR-47) -- based on political leanings?

you're right. MSNBC and CNN would never refer to something as "terrorism" or explicitly claim a political motive without any proof.  Like "racism," "fascism," and "nazi," that term has been watered down so much by hyper-partisans it means nothing anymore.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »
Agreed. Until then, calling it terrorism, with zero evidence to support that claim, and reporting narratives that disregard actual video evidence probably should be minimized.

The man is clearly evil, and deserves to spend the rest of his life rotting in a jail cell.

Can't believe no one posted the Family Guy (Mentally ill vs. Terrorist meme yet).

Ya..   I don't really think it matters a whole lot one way or the other unless this was actually planned well in advance.  I believe authorities determined the Nice incident was terrorism but I'm not sure it led to further arrests.  But for all the media outlets it does matter every time they can spin something, even horrific tragedies.  Whether it be to emphasize their particular narrative or to deceive people to protect their narrative. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:45:50 AM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
It’s Scooptown, Jake
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
Terrorism has a specific definition that involves harm for political ends. Until there is evidence of that, it’s not terrorism.
Which doesn’t exclude it being an intentional act. He was clearly already enraged, if he engaged in a domestic violence act beforehand.
After the Rittenhouse verdict came in, all sorts of people said one needs to wait to see what the facts are before jumping to conclusions; the same applies here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2021, 11:39:30 AM »
More narrative spinning from Wikipedia. Redirecting to a page that calls it a “car crash”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2021_Waukesha_Christmas_parade_car_rampage&redirect=no

You do realize that Wikipedia is crowd-sourced and that you can go right in and change it if you want.

I guess I don't understand this idea that we are going to get all outraged about how certain media outlets and websites are describing the incident, versus just being outraged about the incident.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:41:31 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
jficke

As I noted earlier, our family have strong connections to someone injured and a relative lost a friend last Sunday.  The wording does mean something to me and it should be reported correctly. I do not think anyone believes this was a car crash. I find that reporting to be insulting.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »
Imagine being worked up over Wikipedia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
jficke

As I noted earlier, our family have strong connections to someone injured and a relative lost a friend last Sunday.  The wording does mean something to me and it should be reported correctly. I do not think anyone believes this was a car crash. I find that reporting to be insulting.

I agree with you. It's not like I'm not connected to the tragedy in several ways as well. I want there to be accuracy and precision in the way it's covered. I can want that while, also thinking that fixating on poor reporting and using it as evidence of some nefarious *scare quotes* media *scare quotes* agenda is silly.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
jficke

Agreed. It was an intentional act.  "Crash" implies it was accidental, which is an affront to those involved directly or indirectly.  I'm not sure why some media outlets or people have an issue with calling it what it is.  This murderous act isn't necessarily political  (we don't have all the facts yet as they pertain to the motive), so who make it political?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
Scoop
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
And yet if his objective was to hurt people in the parade, he was behind everyone... he could easily have made this a lot lot worse. Whatever his goal "monstrous idiot fleeing crime scene" seems more likely than "targeted xmas parade for terror attack" at least based on what I know at this point.

Fwiw, this was the post I took exception with. I thought it was complete speculation and insensitive at the time, especially when other scoopers had people directly involved. I made no comments before that other than wishing for the best for those involved.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2021, 11:53:01 AM »
Terrorism has a specific definition that involves harm for political ends. Until there is evidence of that, it’s not terrorism.
Which doesn’t exclude it being an intentional act. He was clearly already enraged, if he engaged in a domestic violence act beforehand.
After the Rittenhouse verdict came in, all sorts of people said one needs to wait to see what the facts are before jumping to conclusions; the same applies here.

I don't disagree with you that intentional acts of harm/murder for ideological/political purposes is defined as terrorism.  But you can be inspired ideologically and plan an attack for some time. or wake up one day and commit a horrific act and say you did it for a specific cause.  "Lone-Wolf" acts and how one defines them I feel fall into a different category.  All of them are evil, scumsucking, pieces of excrement.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
Fwiw, this was the post I took exception with. I thought it was complete speculation and insensitive at the time, especially when other scoopers had people directly involved. I made no comments before that other than wishing for the best for those involved.

And yet, that's one I'll stand by. There were videos of him hitting marching band members who were on the edge of the formation. If his goal was to cause as much harm to as many parade-marchers as possible, he absolutely could have made it worse.

Obviously I was speculating as to his state of mind, because in the context of that conversation at the time that was exactly what the conversation was doing.

Saying he could have made it worse in no way minimizes what he did do, which was awful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2021, 12:02:43 PM »

Okay, I'm with you on NBC. This is wikipedia. For a short time, Tyler Kolek was the Governor of West Virginia and Lewis was his deputy Governor according to Wikipedia.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »

This is my favorite post of the year.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
CountryRoads, you seem like a reasonable dude but I'm concerned that a few of the points you're making are also being made by the Q Believers on the internet around this being the first attack of the new civil war. I hope you're not falling down that rabbit hole.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2021, 12:55:21 PM »
Agreed. It was an intentional act.  "Crash" implies it was accidental, which is an affront to those involved directly or indirectly.  I'm not sure why some media outlets or people have an issue with calling it what it is.  This murderous act isn't necessarily political  (we don't have all the facts yet as they pertain to the motive), so who make it political?

How does "crash" imply it was accidental?  Two planes crashed into the World Trade Towers on 9/11.  That's certainly not implying those were accidental.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »
If it's a lone wolf "accident", why did topper have to cancel his town's parade?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
If it's a lone wolf "accident", why did topper have to cancel his town's parade?

Because of grief, right? I suppose that was my assumption

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »

Because of the pending civil war.  I heard Fort Sumter has been occupied but that was from PATRIOT69420 on Twitter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback