'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting - Guards  (Read 6638 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Recruiting - Guards
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
Wait, is this forum trending back to the 'switchables' when before it was 'we have no size and are just switchables'?  I see Sacar as a 2 guard myself.  I am extremely pleased with his progress as some had him transferring out after his red shirt year.  Tough as nails defender, good size/strength/body, shot improving, good driver and finisher.  Based on that I can only see him getting better.

I think it is a little premature to say Greg Elliot isn't a guard or can't handle guard duties.  Let us see him next year when he hopefully has two good hands that are 100% instead of a hand and a half.

Sam Hauser is a savvy ball handler that can assist.  His brother Joey has good handles and is tall enough to see over the top on pressure.
Not the board.   Me.    I look around the Big East and college basketball in general and see a bunch of 6'6 guys who can handle the ball, can drive, can shoot the 3, can defend players bigger and smaller, and can rebound.   MU does not have a lot of these.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
As much as we need a ball handling guard, how many teams out there truly have an elite press that they don't just throw on in end of game situations? WVU, Shaka, maybe Cinci? 

As good as it will be to get a pass first PG I think that we ran some of our best offense when it was run through Sam.  He is the only one that regularly looks to pass into Matt or Theo, he doesn't make bad decisions, he has the ability to create his own shot, but doesn't force it and is tall enough to make the right pass if he sees a double coming.  Now, I don't want him as a point forward, but I think he is a good enough all around player to average 5-7 assists per game. Obviously needs to get a healthy hip to become a better defender, but all around best player going forward by far. 
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
Tower

Bball is a guards game and an athletic PG is the key to discuss. Would love to see a guy who could defend, get D boards and push the ball up the court. We have not had a top tier PG in a long, long time.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 09:58:41 AM »
Need guards over 5'8", butt more importantly, dey kneed sum ass kickers inside hoo can protect the rim and board, hey?

Could swear you just posted about how dirty Grayson Allen is. Now you want us to get some "ass kickers"?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
Very good points.  Just with the log jam that we're gonna have in the front court, throwing Sacar in as a forward seems excessive.  MU lists him as a G/F so I guess its fair, I've always just viewed him as a guard.

Yeah, I expect him to have improved his Guard and Finishing skills when we see him at the beginning of next season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Could swear you just posted about how dirty Grayson Allen is. Now you want us to get some "ass kickers"?

You don't know basketball if you don't know the difference.

Maurice Lucas was an ass kicker.

This is just being a punk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awivSt9Ktgk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:54:04 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 10:24:45 AM »
Tower

Bball is a guards game and an athletic PG is the key to discuss. Would love to see a guy who could defend, get D boards and push the ball up the court. We have not had a top tier PG in a long, long time.

...and when we did, we had no Bigs. Go figure. Maybe someday Wojo will put it together.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:26:30 AM by muwarrior69 »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
Brew started the post grad thread and the 2 names I'm following are Isaiah Wright of San Diego and Tarin Smith of Duquesne.  No indication either will leave their schools at this point.  Both started their careers at the HM level.

Wright is a 6-2 point guard who was a Second Team All-WCC. The San Diego head coach recently resigned.

Smith a 6-2 combo guard who was the named the A-10 Sixth Man of they Year.

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »
Brew started the post grad thread and the 2 names I'm following are Isaiah Wright of San Diego and Tarin Smith of Duquesne.  No indication either will leave their schools at this point.  Both started their careers at the HM level.

Wright is a 6-2 point guard who was a Second Team All-WCC. The San Diego head coach recently resigned.

I'd take a pass on both. Very poor numbers against tier A&B competition. Clayton Custer is who I want

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
I'd take a pass on both. Very poor numbers against tier A&B competition. Clayton Custer is who I want

Does Custer have a reason to leave Loyola? 

You really have to look at the chances a player would leave and why they would leave and you can't promise this grad transfer 30 plus minutes a game.  I'm thinking this player may get 20-25 minutes a game at most next year and you need a guy who's willing to take those minutes so they can contribute to an NCAA team. 

My reason for following Wright is that his chances of playing in an NCAA tournament is slim to none at San Diego and he'll be playing for a new coach next year.

Smith came off the bench this year and like Wright, may not get a sniff of the NCAA tourney at Duquesne next year.  He's going to have to fight for minutes with 3 D1 transfers next year as well as 2 returning guards and unlike the transfers, he wasn't recruited to Duquesne by the current coaching staff.

I'm thinking the guy who Wojo may get is a rotation guard who can defend, distribute and be a threat to score.  Both of these players averaged over 12 points last year. Of the 2, Smith really intrigues me based on his east coast roots and I like his athletic ability.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:32:04 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
Tower

Who was Marquette last top tier PG?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »
Dominic James.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Does Custer have a reason to leave Loyola? 

You really have to look at the chances a player would leave and why they would leave and you can't promise this grad transfer 30 plus minutes a game.  I'm thinking this player may get 20-25 minutes a game at most next year and you need a guy who's willing to take those minutes so they can contribute to an NCAA team. 

My reason for following Wright is that his chances of playing in an NCAA tournament is slim to none at San Diego and he'll be playing for a new coach next year.

Smith came off the bench this year and like Wright, may not get a sniff of the NCAA tourney at Duquesne next year.  He's going to have to fight for minutes with 3 D1 transfers next year as well as 2 returning guards and unlike the transfers, he wasn't recruited to Duquesne by the current coaching staff.

I'm thinking the guy who Wojo may get is a rotation guard who can defend, distribute and be a threat to score.  Both of these players averaged over 12 points last year. Of the 2, Smith really intrigues me based on his east coast roots and I like his athletic ability.

A lot of seniors leaving Loyola, thought may be this is as far as they can go, want to take a step up in competition for his final year, and his coach might leave. Closest situational comp I can see is Egor Koulechov. As far as PT, just say here's Rowsey's minutes and usage on a high powered offense with weapons surrounding you at every position that's primed to take a large step forward with you as the final piece. The team is going to win a ton on national television, and you're going to look good in the process.

My guess is our biggest competition for his services will be Wichita St. and Creighton.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
Don't underestimate how much young players can improve in a single offseason.

Just one example: Mikal Bridges. Between his sophomore and junior seasons, Mikal Bridges increased his scoring from 9.8 ppg to 17.8 ppg. He also reduced his turnover rate and shot over 40% from 3-point range for the first time.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
To the original post, I'd agree that our recruiting focus should be on the backcourt. Not only because of Rowsey's graduation, but also Haanif's unexpected transfer.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 01:33:07 PM »

Thanks Ted, I'm always impress with your updates on possible recruiting prospects.  Seems like you bring in names that are under the radar to many of us.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Dominic James.

Freshman year Dominic James
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
Freshman year Dominic James
James was a stud as a senior. Lockdown defender, elite distributor, controlled the tempo of every game.  That team was rolling until he broke his foot vs UCONN.  The whole Bradley Center went quiet, knowing a Big East title and deep tourney run was slipping away.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
Tower

I agree with D James.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
James was a stud as a senior. Lockdown defender, elite distributor, controlled the tempo of every game.  That team was rolling until he broke his foot vs UCONN.  The whole Bradley Center went quiet, knowing a Big East title and deep tourney run was slipping away.
Yep.  Got very quiet in the BC that night.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »
Wait a minute on all this.

Sure we could use a better ball handler...but we have enough guys. When a player commits to MU, MU also commits to the player.

We have an imperfect set of guys. But they are ours. I like them with their warts and all. We have a full house.  All 12 deserve time. Let Wojo and his staff do the best he can with them. And if some leave, so be it.

I am glad the roster is not dictated by the scoop wish list.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
Wait a minute on all this.

Sure we could use a better ball handler...but we have enough guys. When a player commits to MU, MU also commits to the player.

We have an imperfect set of guys. But they are ours. I like them with their warts and all. We have a full house.  All 12 deserve time. Let Wojo and his staff do the best he can with them. And if some leave, so be it.

I am glad the roster is not dictated by the scoop wish list.

??????????????????????????

You don't think an additional ball handling guard would be helpful?  Or would be unfair to Markus and Greg?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
Always
Be
Recruiting

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
I completely agree we need to bring in another guard next year.  I'm not liking the current roster construction of this team. The way we've seen our team play this year, as well as just watching other BE and Power 5 games this year, I think we will need big time help in the guard positions next year. 

The way I see our team next year is we have 7 guys (Hauser, Hauser, Morrow, John, Heldt, Harry, and Eke) to play two positions (the 4 and 5) and 5 guys to play the 3 guard positions (Markus, Elliot, Cain, Anim, and Bailey).  Maybe with Sam's offseason surgery, maybe he gets a tick quicker laterally to be able to play some time at the 3, but watching him this year, he's our perfect version of a stretch 4 and I think he'd get run-around trying to guard other 3's. Will be really interesting to see how the minutes shake out next year and who to see will/can step up to be an offensive force to pair with Markus and Sam to be that 3rd and 4th scoring option.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »
Agree that Dominic was high level, and he was an excellent defender. But I am interested how a player who slashed 40/29/62% for his career would be perceived if he played in today's game.

feedback