[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How High Can Greg Fly  (Read 5630 times)

Benny B

• All American
How High Can Greg Fly
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
I swear it seems the kid was looking straight down at the basket on his monster putback and on one of his rebounds his kneecaps were blocking the shot clock.

His length and vertical are delightfully deceiving; if his confidence stays on pace and (when) he starts slashing and shooting, everyone else better watch the F out.

In fact, if anyone on this team is going to earn the middle initial, my money's on him.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: How High Can Greg Fly
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
everyone else better watch the F out.
Love this right here.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
That rebound. Like he sailed in on a zipline or something.  Ridiculous.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:36 AM »
I swear it seems the kid was looking straight down at the basket on his monster putback and on one of his rebounds his kneecaps were blocking the shot clock.

His length and vertical are delightfully deceiving; if his confidence stays on pace and (when) he starts slashing and shooting, everyone else better watch the F out.

In fact, if anyone on this team is going to earn the middle initial, my money's on him.

Greg has shown some great athleticism and made some tremendous plays already this year, so I think you're right that his upside is pretty high. What I worry about is where he'll fit in next year. I have the same concerns for Jamal. Markus and Sam are sure to be starters, Joey and/or Morrow will probably be in the starting 5 as well, and then add in a PG - where do our current freshmen get their minutes? Is there any chance GE can learn to play the point this summer? 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
Greg has shown some great athleticism and made some tremendous plays already this year, so I think you're right that his upside is pretty high. What I worry about is where he'll fit in next year. I have the same concerns for Jamal. Markus and Sam are sure to be starters, Joey and/or Morrow will probably be in the starting 5 as well, and then add in a PG - where do our current freshmen get their minutes? Is there any chance GE can learn to play the point this summer?
Not much depth at guard next year.  Greg will play a ton.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »

I think Elliott will be fine as he will be our best perimeter defender.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »

Unless we get a top tier grad transfer point or combo, I think we roll with Markus & Greg as combo/scoring PGs next year. And I'm totally fine with that! Can play them togethter or separate. Elliott is a very good passer.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »

Greg has played the point some this year.  He did in HS.  I think if we add a grad transfer PG and everyone else stays and everyone is healthy (big ifs), it will be tough for Greg to find the court much more than this season. 

If we don't fill the last scholarship, Greg is the backup PG.

PG: Markus 30, Elliott 10
SG: Sacar 20, Elliot 10, Sam 5, Cain 5
SF: Sam 25, Joey 10, Cain 5
PF: Morrow 25, Joey 10, Froling 5
C: Theo 20, Froling 10, Heldt 5, Morrow 5

Totals:
Markus 30
Sam 30
Morrow 30
Sacar 20
Joey 20
Theo 20
Elliott 20
Froling 15
Cain 10
Heldt 5
Bailey - Garbage time only
Eke - Garbage time only

Hard to only give Cain 10 minutes and basically none to Bailey, but we're going to be loaded if the team stays intact.  And this is without adding a PG...
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »
If the centers keep on improving, one will start.  Matt will likely still be the starter next year.  Markus will start in the backcourt with somebody.  Either Greg or a transfer.
Still there will be minutes for 3 guards.  I am sure Sam will start.  He is to steady and will just keep on improving.  Now the other 2 spots will be interesting.  I assume Morrow will be one of the them.  Sacar will get first chance, with Cain or Joey.  Joey stunted his growth by not playing this year.  Bailey who knows.  There will be lots of
options next year, 12 players.  9 with some experience.   If they go small, Morrow can play center, or if Joey is that good, then it might be the Hauser boys and Morrow.
Lots of options next year, but still need to add another guard.  Any guard watching MU would have to think it would be fun to play in this system, plus the new area opening up, they will get somebody to play with Markus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
Greg has played the point some this year.  He did in HS.  I think if we add a grad transfer PG and everyone else stays and everyone is healthy (big ifs), it will be tough for Greg to find the court much more than this season. 

Totals:
Markus 30
Sam 30
Morrow 30
Sacar 20
Joey 20
Theo 20
Elliott 20
Froling 15
Cain 10
Heldt 5
Eke - Garbage time only

Hard to only give Cain 10 minutes and basically none to Bailey, but we're going to be loaded if the team stays intact.  And this is without adding a PG...

So you think a senior center, who is playing well this year, will go from 23 mpg down to five???

I think Froling is going to be the one left out.  Right now he spends most of his time backing up Sam, and I think Joey slides right into that role.  Honestly he hasn't shown much of anything offensively yet. 

I think the post minutes will be more like:

Heldt: 15-20
John: 12-18
Froling: 5-10

And that doesn't account for when we may go small and move Morrow into the post.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

Totals:
Markus 30
Sam 30
Morrow 30
Sacar 20
Joey 20
Theo 20
Elliott 20
Froling 15
Cain 10
Heldt 5
Eke - Garbage time only

Maybe you missed last night,  Matt is still going to play alot.  I would say at least 20 minutes a night.  Sacar will never be the 2 guard, can not shoot the ball,  if anything his playing time might be less. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »

So you think a senior center, who is playing well this year, will go from 23 mpg down to five???

I think Froling is going to be the one left out.  Right now he spends most of his time backing up Sam, and I think Joey slides right into that role.  Honestly he hasn't shown much of anything offensively yet. 

I think the post minutes will be more like:

Heldt: 15-20
John: 12-18
Froling: 5-10

And that doesn't account for when we may go small and move Morrow into the post.

I could see that.  I just think Heldt is the least talented of the big men and we'll have much more length 2-4.  He's played major minutes this season primarily out of necessity.  Don't get me wrong, he's been very efficient (rarely ever looks for his own shot unless he gets a wide open put back), but I just don't think he is a high major starting center.  Solid 5-10 minute change of pace guy.  I expect Froling and Theo to continue to improve, and their versatility and athleticism will be a better match with next season's roster.

I also expect the lionshare of the 4 minutes to go to Morrow, and Joey (and maybe a little Froling) filling in the gap.

We'll see.  Definitely a good problem to have.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
  Any guard watching MU would have to think it would be fun to play in this system, plus the new area opening up, they will get somebody to play with Markus.

That's my thinking and with Jay Bilas giving us a little exposure more PGs might be giving us a look.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
Matt really is improving his rebounding and defense.  Footwork is much better.  He fits a role on this team, and I seen it next year.  A senior.  Theo I think will still be
a couple years away, but definitely has a higher upside then Matt.  If he out performs Matt next year, they will be really good.  First time they will be physically as big
as other Big East teams for a change.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
Matt really is improving his rebounding and defense.  Footwork is much better.  He fits a role on this team, and I seen it next year.  A senior.  Theo I think will still be
a couple years away, but definitely has a higher upside then Matt.  If he out performs Matt next year, they will be really good.  First time they will be physically as big
as other Big East teams for a change.

I disagree that Theo is a couple years away still.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
I was wrong about him. I didn't expect to start seeing offense out of him, but every game he looks more and more in control. Not rattled a bit, at least externally.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »

I don't think you're too far off the mark with this, but I have a feeling Joey will get more than 20 minutes. Odds are, those will likely come from the assumed 30 for Morrow, so not a big impact to GE here. Things could get dicey for Greg if Joey is able to get some minutes at the 3, which would likely push Sam into more minutes at the 2.

Sacar's offense could be an X factor for both Jamal and Greg too. He's our best on-ball defender today, but his offensive game has been limited this year. If Greg or Jamal can improve their defense to Sacar's current level while keeping an offensive edge over him, they could see their minutes go up.

It will be interesting to see which lineups work well together next year because we'll have the roster to play with 3 bigs - Joey, Morrow, Heldt/Theo - or with 4 small guys - Markus, Sam, and 2 of PG/Cain/Elliott/Sacar. Hopefully (!!!) PT distribution doesn't cause issues, but I can easily see how a few guys, likely GE and Jamal, could end up getting the short end of the stick and getting frustrated.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
What do people see in Sacar that Elliott and Cain don't offer.  We need his defending this year, but next year we should be better defensively with only one sub six foot guard, and the way that they're improving, both Elliott and Cain will be just as good defensively and better offensively and more athletic.  Unless Sacar can hit the wide open corner three that everybody is offering him at a 35% clip, I don't see him getting more than 10 mpg next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
I don't think you're too far off the mark with this, but I have a feeling Joey will get more than 20 minutes. Odds are, those will likely come from the assumed 30 for Morrow, so not a big impact to GE here. Things could get dicey for Greg if Joey is able to get some minutes at the 3, which would likely push Sam into more minutes at the 2.

Sacar's offense could be an X factor for both Jamal and Greg too. He's our best on-ball defender today, but his offensive game has been limited this year. If Greg or Jamal can improve their defense to Sacar's current level while keeping an offensive edge over him, they could see their minutes go up.

It will be interesting to see which lineups work well together next year because we'll have the roster to play with 3 bigs - Joey, Morrow, Heldt/Theo - or with 4 small guys - Markus, Sam, and 2 of PG/Cain/Elliott/Sacar. Hopefully (!!!) PT distribution doesn't cause issues, but I can easily see how a few guys, likely GE and Jamal, could end up getting the short end of the stick and getting frustrated.

Agreed on all fronts.

Although, Morrow is better than you're giving him credit for.  He will be the third musketeer with with Sam and Markus next year.  His front court presence and rebounding are something this team lacks and is going to be such a welcome and refreshing change. 

Health has always been a question with Morrow.  But he appears to be in the best shape of his college career and I am sure he's used the year off to work on his game.  I am very, very excited to see him in uniform next season.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
I could see that.  I just think Heldt is the least talented of the big men and we'll have much more length 2-4.  He's played major minutes this season primarily out of necessity.  Don't get me wrong, he's been very efficient (rarely ever looks for his own shot unless he gets a wide open put back), but I just don't think he is a high major starting center.  Solid 5-10 minute change of pace guy.  I expect Froling and Theo to continue to improve, and their versatility and athleticism will be a better match with next season's roster.

I also expect the lionshare of the 4 minutes to go to Morrow, and Joey (and maybe a little Froling) filling in the gap.

We'll see.  Definitely a good problem to have.

Based on what we've seen this year, I think we'll see very little of Harry next year. I think Matt starts at the 5, Morrow starts at the 4, and then Theo backs up Matt and Joey backs up Morrow and gets some minutes on the wing too. Harry is going to have to make some big leaps to earn his minutes next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
The minutes will work themselves out.    Injuries happen.   Transfers happen.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
Greg will be our starting point guard next year. He has the trust of his teammates and his coaches. Throw in his crazy athleticism and team first attitude , he is a natural. 
UNC Grad MU Fan

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
Probably.   He will have Markus next to him and Sam to help out on the press like Rowsey does.   And he will have two functioning thumbs.     He is struggling with the left this year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »

Hard to say. Not sure what we have with Bailey next year. Supposed to be really good but likely will be rusty.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
This conversation is the equivalent of First World Basketball problems....and I like it. Next year minutes at nearly every position will be hard to come by. With the exception of Marcus and Sam getting 30+ minutes a game I think everything else is up for grabs. Wojo is going to have so many great options for line ups, small and fast to the super heavy package and every permutation in between. Where is the FF next year? I do think this year's team is fun to watch and getting better game by game. Good stuff.

feedback