[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Advocare Invitational  (Read 9258 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: 2019 Advocare Invitational
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
I agree that Wojo will want a tough schedule but you need other teams to want to schedule you.

Say we get Indiana as a Gavitt return game.   That's ok but Morgan is a senior and Langford is probably one and done.  So they lose their two best players.

Then you still have to find someone to come to Milwaukee.   Who wants to come to Milwaukee and get beat, with a lesser team in the return game the following year?  That's what I see as a challenge.

maybe next year Michigan St finally plays a gavitt game
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
I agree that Wojo will want a tough schedule but you need other teams to want to schedule you.

Say we get Indiana as a Gavitt return game.   That's ok but Morgan is a senior and Langford is probably one and done.  So they lose their two best players.

Then you still have to find someone to come to Milwaukee.   Who wants to come to Milwaukee and get beat, with a lesser team in the return game the following year?  That's what I see as a challenge.

Any potential home and home starting next year, could also start on the road, so the potential opponent would be facing a similar situation that we are with K-State this and next year.  Get the potential conference champ at home, and then go on the road for the "lesser team" the following year.   I'd think that'd be very appealing for a lot of programs.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
maybe next year Michigan St finally plays a gavitt game

Doubtful.
Tom Izzo has ALWAYS hated Marquette!*

*Tom Izzo hates Marquette High School in Marquette, MI after coaching the rival Ishpeming Hematites for one season
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »
No worries Glow. I told my supervisor when they first hired me, if TAMU and Marquette ever play in basketball, I will cheer for Marquette. And if they ever play in football I will cheer for TAMU  ;D

;D

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »
Y'all are really underestimating the field. USC will likely be a top 10 team with all the freshmen they are bringing in (assuming no impact from the FBI probe). Maryland is a top 35ish team this season in most services and should return everyone of importance next season, likely top 15-25 team. TAMU may depend on Coach Kennedy's health but they'll bring back most of what they have this season. Davidson and Temple are solid wins. Marquette, USC, and Maryland at the top is a pretty good trio of headliners.
Right, it lacks historical brand names, but who cares as long as the teams we are playing that year are solid to good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

I think you underestimate how good teams want to challenge themselves with good tests during non-conference play.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:03 PM »
Y'all are really underestimating the field. USC will likely be a top 10 team with all the freshmen they are bringing in (assuming no impact from the FBI probe). Maryland is a top 35ish team this season in most services and should return everyone of importance next season, likely top 15-25 team. TAMU may depend on Coach Kennedy's health but they'll bring back most of what they have this season. Davidson and Temple are solid wins. Marquette, USC, and Maryland at the top is a pretty good trio of headliners.

USC and Maryland seem to be perennial underachievers.  They might look good on paper but I am still skeptical.

Plus,  we have to see what the bracket looks like.  If MU plays Fairfield,  then TAMU or Temple, that's pretty meh.  There's more downside in losing than there is upside in winning.

Normally,  I would say this schedule is ok.  But with Marquette poised to be really strong next year,  I was hoping for a bit more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »

I agree with this.

USC and Maryland seem to be perennial underachievers.  They might look good on paper but I am still skeptical.

Plus,  we have to see what the bracket looks like.  If MU plays Fairfield,  then TAMU or Temple, that's pretty meh.  There's more downside in losing than there is upside in winning.

Normally,  I would say this schedule is ok.  But with Marquette poised to be really strong next year,  I was hoping for a bit more.

But Lazar, I also think you make some solid points, especially your second paragraph.

All in all, it was out of Marquette's control so I'm not going to complain about it. I think it will end up being a good event for us, and will not in any way stop us from getting to the Final Four.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

I think you underestimate how good teams want to challenge themselves with good tests during non-conference play.

Before Kansas State this year,  I cannot remember the last time Marquette got a marquee home & home that started in Milwaukee.   I guess we'll see.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »
Before Kansas State this year,  I cannot remember the last time Marquette got a marquee home & home that started in Milwaukee.   I guess we'll see.

Ohio State.  Although you'd be forgiven if you blocked that game out of your long term memory completely.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
Ohio State.  Although you'd be forgiven if you blocked that game out of your long term memory completely.

Hey we were tied at halftime at -7 to -7... talk about a barnburner

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

Not sure why you have to put the limitation that it started in Milwaukee on there.  I don't think it matters where it starts.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
Could be exciting if Buzz is at TAMU next season!

Is the ACC is danger of no longer being a power basketball conference too???

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

Not sure why you have to put the limitation that it started in Milwaukee on there.  I don't think it matters where it starts.

Kansas St, Wisconsin, and a 3rd major road game next year?  I guess it could happen but seems a bit imbalanced to me.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 02:35:26 PM »
If MU plays Fairfield,  then TAMU or Temple, that's pretty meh.  There's more downside in losing than there is upside in winning.

Having to play Fairfield, Temple, the UW of the East, etc. is like going to a roulette table and betting all of the numbers... hopefully you can break even and walk away (which will happen the majority of the time), because on the off chance that a zero comes up, it's a massive kick in the cohones.

Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil... the real upside to the tourney is not so much who you play as it is increasing the number of games you're allowed to play.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:36:57 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
Kansas St, Wisconsin, and a 3rd major road game next year?  I guess it could happen but seems a bit imbalanced to me.

No I meant historically.  Why is it so important looking back historically that the series started in Milwaukee?  Because there have been plenty of home and home series in the past.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

No I meant historically.  Why is it so important looking back historically that the series started in Milwaukee?  Because there have been plenty of home and home series in the past.

Because I was talking about next year's schedule and adding a home game.  Starting on the road is easy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »

True the bracket makes a difference but as long as teams play to seed then you should see at least one of the two other top teams. We also don't know enough about the new NET metric. With margin of victory being included it should minimize the impact of getting a bad draw in a holiday tournament but need to actually see the formula to be sure.

From just a good basketball perspective I'd be happy with a draw of Harvard/Temple,  then TAMU\Davidson in the semis,  then USC/Maryland in the final.  Fairfield is the only one I'd be meh about.

Also,  the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they will want a Maryland/USC Championship,  if true that means we should get both provided we win our games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
Having to play Fairfield, Temple, the UW of the East, etc. is like going to a roulette table and betting all of the numbers... hopefully you can break even and walk away (which will happen the majority of the time), because on the off chance that a zero comes up, it's a massive kick in the cohones.

Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil... the real upside to the tourney is not so much who you play as it is increasing the number of games you're allowed to play.

Marquette vs. Fairfield - A Jesuit showdown - I'd be interested from the local aspect as the game would get covered in my local news.