Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: At Last Night's XMas Party...  (Read 5652 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
At Last Night's XMas Party...
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
in downtown MKE, I had a lengthy chat with Al's last recruit and NCAA champion, Robert Byrd. Looks like he can still play, but said he couldn't make a lay-up today if I was guarding him.
Topics discussed included, among others, the state of MU hoops, kicking to the curb of the Warrior nickname, the current coach, and the peeing on George by assigning his retired number to a freshman.
Interesting that Robert only mildly follows the program since he feels that TC is trying to distance the current regime from the past. Got a good look at his championship ring also and it not only was impressive, but brought back warm and fuzzy memories of that March day almost 30 years ago in ATL.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: At Last Night's XMas Party...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:04:50 AM »
Topics discussed included, among others, the state of MU hoops, kicking to the curb of the Warrior nickname, the current coach, and the peeing on George by assigning his retired number to a freshman.

and his thoughts on each of those?????????? :P
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:58:39 AM »
Interesting that Robert only mildly follows the program since he feels that TC is trying to distance the current regime from the past.

That's an interesting quote.  My observation has been that Crean has done more to link the past and present more than Dukiet, KO, and Deane ever did.  That's not to say Crean has reached out to everyone, but it sure appears he has tried harder than any of our more recent coaches.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:00:14 AM by mutpm »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 10:29:57 AM »
I agree.  That's really surprising, because it sure seems TC talks a good game when it comes to tradition.  I suppose, though, you can't please all of the people all of the time.  And the Lazar/GT thing didn't help matters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Reality of the situation
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:39:01 AM »
I agree.  That's really surprising, because it sure seems TC talks a good game when it comes to tradition.  I suppose, though, you can't please all of the people all of the time.  And the Lazar/GT thing didn't help matters.

For the record, others felt the same way under KO and the same way under Deane.

This is nothing new.  I wish Robert the best in his continued endeavors with First Tee and other things.  Great player and very good person.  Some people feel slighted and others feel embraced.  You're never going to please everyone and you'll die trying.

Bill Neary of the 77 team was so pissed off at MU for the nickname change and refuses to participate in any reunions and such. 

I would simply say to look at the reality of the situation.  In the last few years Maurice Lucas, Tatum, and others have been honored.  Doc Rivers seems to have a great respect for Crean.  Jim MacIlvaine is heavily involved.  Tony Smith on his staff.  The cover of this year's media guide has about 25 former players on the cover.  We have retired additional jerseys of the past in the last few years.  Etc, etc.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:47:18 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
Interesting that Robert only mildly follows the program since he feels that TC is trying to distance the current regime from the past.

If he really said that, then he's just an ignorant dumb a$$!!  Since Crean has been at Maquette, he has honored Doc Rivers, Maurice Lucas, Earl Tatum, & brought back all the old players to a game last year and honored during halftime.  Let's also not forget the Marquette Tradition montage that starts every game.  No other coach at MU has ever done as much to honor Marquette's tradtion and past as Crean.  Just look at the respect and reverance he held for his relationship with Al and how much he promotes Al's Walk.  In fact, there are two events this season alone honoring Marquette's tradition... on 1/13, it's the 90th Anniversary Reunion and on 3/3, they are honoring the National Championship team.  So tell Mr. Byrd he needs to go find himself a clue and stop being an ignorant dumba$$!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 11:57:38 AM »
It does seem like we're honoring a series of players from the past, but with Rivers and Lucas you have to ask why. Rivers did not have that great a career at MU...in fact, with the hype he had in H.S. and when he was a freshman, he was a borderline disappointment. Now he's on the Board of Trustees, which is completely dumbfounding, if you ask me. There are other former players that are probably more deserving of that large an honor.

Lucas stayed, what, 2 years? Has he really been a great ambassador or a visible presence for the university? Or was his post-MU career/NBA career what got him recognized? I don't know.

If there are former players feeling slighted, perhaps there is something there.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:12:18 PM »

Or perhaps they're just bitter old men!  To say that Crean is trying to distance the current program from it's past is just assinine.  Come on guys... as much as you may like or dislike Crean, you've got to admit that he's done more than any other MU coach to raise awareness of our history and past teams.  There is no argument here!

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »
All these people complaining about not recognizing the past is a freaking joke.  All they do is complain and never offer any solutions.  What should Crean do that he isn't doing?  Try offerring up a solution every once in a while rather than just bitching.  You can only embrace the past so much.  It's nice to honor the teams of the past, but in the end, Crean's #1 job should be concentrating on the future of MU basketball. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 07:08:43 PM »
Up until last year's BB eunion I had felt that TC was avoiding MU's past----but that reunion changed all that for me. In fact MU has another reunion scheduled on January 13 th (West Virginia)-----how anyone can say TC is trying to avoid MU's past is beyond me and misguided!

These are the first two OFFICIAL reunions we've EVER had-----I used to organize BB reunions informally-----but am happy to see the Athletic Dept. take over as well they should!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:33:38 PM by Murffieus »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »
Hey Murf

Without naming names, is there any particular era of former players that are disgruntled, i.e. late 60s, as an example.  Or is it more scattered among random players?  Any idea why they might be disgruntled, besides the obvious Warriors fiasco, etc?  Thanks

skyhook34

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
Mr. Negative! Foreverwarrior is wrong! Coach Crean has welcomed back all former players! Do like listen to anything that Foreverwarriors writes...... he anti- Crean anti-Marquette...

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »
Ziggy----seems like the Al McGuire era players are upset----don't know why for  sure, but it may have something to do with the Dr Lagencamp and Tim Schmitt incidents (both replaced)----and now the George Thompson issue!

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
it may have something to do with the Dr Lagencamp and Tim Schmitt incidents (both replaced)

Please excuse me for being ignorant but what/ who are the Dr. Lagencamp & Tim Schmitt incidents?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 11:46:05 AM »
Dr. Langenkamp was a MU player in the George Thompson era, and is an orthopedic surgeon here in Milwaukee.  I think he was the "team physician"--perhaps he is no longer?  Don't know for sure...
Ludum habemus.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
Dr. Langenkamp was a MU player in the George Thompson era, and is an orthopedic surgeon here in Milwaukee.  I think he was the "team physician"--perhaps he is no longer?  Don't know for sure...

He was also George Thompson's roomate during their playing days.

MU71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
It does seem like we're honoring a series of players from the past, but with Rivers and Lucas you have to ask why. Rivers did not have that great a career at MU...in fact, with the hype he had in H.S. and when he was a freshman, he was a borderline disappointment. Now he's on the Board of Trustees, which is completely dumbfounding, if you ask me. There are other former players that are probably more deserving of that large an honor.

Lucas stayed, what, 2 years? Has he really been a great ambassador or a visible presence for the university? Or was his post-MU career/NBA career what got him recognized? I don't know.

What has Lucas done?  How about leading the team to the finals of the NCAA?  How about a long pro career including several all-pro honors?  How about an NBA ring championship ring?
Seems to me that his career at MU and in the pros isn't much diefferent at this point than another 2 year wonder that no one complains about - Dwyane Wade!  (I do agree with you on Rivers.)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »

Please remember; Rivers (an all-american at MU) was faced with 6'6" Terrell Schlundt, a great perimeter shooter, but a forward, playing center..., no incoming recruit to replace him, and Coach Raymonds recruits Lloyd Moore (a gilbert brown look a like w/o the heart) who quickly proves o/of shape.  His only chance was to take the nba offer-  additionally, he talked up MU every chance he got, and continues to promote MU when able.

As far as slighting George T., I think Tatum's 'retired' jersey (43) was worn by Amoroso last year.  Further, Dr. Langenkamp was featured as one of the sucessful bball alums in last years media guide.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
Amo had the number before they retired Tatums "jersey".  The difference between Tatum and Thompson, though, is at the time they retired GT's "number" and at the time they retired Tatum's "jersey".  Big difference.

feedback