[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 32801 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
Well, then UCLA gets what they deserve.  I guess the only way that they can survive is to win, and the only way they can win is to cheat.

Comes down to style and what kids want to play.  The perception (fair or not) is that Howland is defensive minded and doesn't allow the players to showcase their offensive talents.  The irony is, I think they led the Pac 12 in scoring this year, but this is the perception of the last few years.  You see players like Russel Westbrook, Kevin Love, etc, explode once they leave UCLA and it only draws more attention to that perception.  The comments of those former players hasn't helped either.

This is UCLA, extremely high expectations.  Attendance is way down the last few years, a brand new upgrade to Pauley Pavillion this year, AAU and high school coaches grumbling.  We will see.  Dan Guerrero, the AD, is a big backer of Ben's but Dan's job has been precarious the last few years as well.  He may have struck gold with Jim Mora (though plenty of UCLA football coaches have had success first few years but fired after 5 or 6).

Nothing would surprise me with UCLA's decision.  They could extrend him, could fire him, could choose to do nothing in which case other coaches will use that as negative recruiting that UCLA doesn't believe in Howland to extend him.  It could be an interesting offseason.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »

Comes down to style and what kids want to play.  The perception (fair or not) is that Howland is defensive minded and doesn't allow the players to showcase their offensive talents.  The irony is, I think they led the Pac 12 in scoring this year, but this is the perception of the last few years.  You see players like Russel Westbrook, Kevin Love, etc, explode once they leave UCLA and it only draws more attention to that perception.  The comments of those former players hasn't helped either.

Love averaged 17.5/10.6 in his only season at UCLA.
Westbrook, in his second season, averaged nearly 13 ppg on a team with a bunch of NBA players (including Love).
Anyone whose perception is that Howland held back their offense is an idiot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

Love averaged 17.5/10.6 in his only season at UCLA.
Westbrook, in his second season, averaged nearly 13 ppg on a team with a bunch of NBA players (including Love).
Anyone whose perception is that Howland held back their offense is an idiot.

I'm just telling you the scuttlebutt on it....I agree with your conclusion.

The arguments I hear on radio or by fans mostly around players that transferred and excel elsewhere, or those that hit the NBA and blossom (Westbrook at 23 points per game as an example).

I don't agree with the perception, but that's what is out there.  Jay Bilas has a nice piece on it last year I believe.  We'll see what happens.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
Huh? Buzz would be a horrible fit in Westwood.

Why?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
Why?

Full throttle, unabashed Christianity isn't the greatest of fits in that neck of the woods.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
Full throttle, unabashed Christianity isn't the greatest of fits in that neck of the woods.

That's malleable. And a smart guy like Buzz knows when, and where, to turn on his personality.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

I'm just telling you the scuttlebutt on it....I agree with your conclusion.

The arguments I hear on radio or by fans mostly around players that transferred and excel elsewhere, or those that hit the NBA and blossom (Westbrook at 23 points per game as an example).

I don't agree with the perception, but that's what is out there.  Jay Bilas has a nice piece on it last year I believe.  We'll see what happens.

Here's the problem:

Fans are unnatural carnal knowledgeing morons.

It only matters what the AD and the top donors think. If they are smart enough to know Howland is good, then he's fine for a while.

If the top donors/boosters think Howland is bad, then eventually the AD might have to listen.

Sports radio perception doesn't matter, Chicos. You know that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »

To put it mildly.  Heads would explode out here from a good number of residents.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Here's the problem:

It only matters what the AD and the top donors think. If they are smart enough to know Howland is good, then he's fine for a while.

How good is Howland though?  If they don't do anything siginificant this year it will be the 5th disappointing season in a row on top of a program that seems to be spiraling out of control.

If I'm a UCLA fan and knowing the caliber of coach you can attract, I think I'd be looking for a replacement as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
Here's the problem:

Fans are fracking morons.

If the top donors/boosters think Howland is bad, then eventually the AD might have to listen.

Sports radio perception doesn't matter, Chicos. You know that.

That's why I said I don't buy into the rumors necessarily, but there is some considerable frustration.

Prior to this season, UCLA had zero wins against the top 25 on the road since 2008.  Only 3 total Top 25 wins since 2008.  Think about that.
They spent 1 week in the AP top 25 since 2009 until this season.
10-10 against USC all-time for Howland...not good
In the last 64 years, only three losing seasons...Howland has two of them

Some big donors and alumni aren't happy.  Bill Walton has made it his crusade to bash Howland at every turn.  Mora has helped because the pressure was very much on Guerrero the last few years.  

The attendance numbers don't lie, either.  Though they set the single game record against Arizona two weeks ago, there has been considerable disappointment in attendance this year considering the reopening of Pauley Pavillion....their draw on the road has been pretty poor as well.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/bill-walton-ben-howland-ucla-larry-drew-shabazz-muhammad

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/2/22/2818095/basketball-attendance-last-4-seasons

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:49:05 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
To put it mildly.  Heads would explode out here from a good number of residents.

I am picturing Buzz, with a mouth of chaw, talking about Jesus Christ on KLAC.

Classic

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
To put it mildly.  Heads would explode out here from a good number of residents.

Disagree. The fans would love Buzz and his personality in Westwood. Especially considering the the bore that currently coaches the team.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:17:15 PM by 79Warrior »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »

This is UCLA, extremely high expectations.  Attendance is way down the last few years, a brand new upgrade to Pauley Pavillion this year, AAU and high school coaches grumbling.  We will see.  Dan Guerrero, the AD, is a big backer of Ben's but Dan's job has been precarious the last few years as well.  He may have struck gold with Jim Mora (though plenty of UCLA football coaches have had success first few years but fired after 5 or 6).

Nothing would surprise me with UCLA's decision.  They could extrend him, could fire him, could choose to do nothing in which case other coaches will use that as negative recruiting that UCLA doesn't believe in Howland to extend him.  It could be an interesting offseason.

When is attendance not down? I'm a bit of a UCLA fan and have watched their games on TV for years. From what I've seen, there are always plenty of good seats available...and there may not be a worse game day atmosphere. It's like a library inside Pauley.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Disagree. The fans would love Buzz and his personality in Westwood. Especilly considering the the bore that currently coaches the team.

No way. All that Jesus talk would get very old, very fast. Plus, I think his aw shucks, country bumpkin act would wear thin.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
Buzz could pray the Rosary at center court of Pauley Pavilion and no one would care if he were winning.
Eccentricity is only an issue when you're losing.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
Buzz could pray the Rosary at center court of Pauley Pavilion and no one would care if he were winning.

Bingo.

I think Buzz is incredibly entertaining.

However, if MU was 0-18 in conference play, I probably wouldn't be tuning into the "Buzz Williams Show".

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »

Come out west and you'll change your tune. I think Chicos will back me up on this. Winning or not, Buzz's act would quickly wear thin with the PC crowd. It's not just that you win...it's how you win.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
Disagree. The fans would love Buzz and his personality in Westwood. Especilly considering the the bore that currently coaches the team.

The fans would, but it's the other lunatics that run the state.  The ones that would bellyache that he is a state funded coach at a state funded university and he should never utter any words that they deem to infringe upon their view of the world.  This is a county that changed their seal because it had a small cross in it. Don't underestimate some of the steps people go through out here.  I agree, if he wins the fans would love it, but there would be a chorus of people watching him like a hawk for ever mentioning the wrong words in a public place.

Old                                                                                New

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
When is attendance not down? I'm a bit of a UCLA fan and have watched their games on TV for years. From what I've seen, there are always plenty of good seats available...and there may not be a worse game day atmosphere. It's like a library inside Pauley.

Yeah, it's not a good atmosphere, I agree. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »

Buzz still wouldn't be on their Top 5. Stevens, Shaka, Jay Wright, Dixon, Drew, Marshall, Donovan are all ahead.

If Buzz does go, to either UT or UCLA, we should just hire Howland/Barnes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:28:04 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
Buzz still wouldn't be on their Top 5. Stevens, Shaka, Jay Wright, Dixon, Drew, Marshall, Donovan are all ahead.

If Buzz does go, to either UT or UCLA, we should just hire Howland/Barnes.

How do you get a list like that?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »
Come out west and you'll change your tune. I think Chicos will back me up on this. Winning or not, Buzz's act would quickly wear thin with the PC crowd. It's not just that you win...it's how you win.

I live in LA. Nobody will give a hoot if he wins.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
Know of any goo sushi joints in Westwood?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2013, 04:52:53 PM »
I live in LA. /quote]

You poor bastard.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »

Which is why Buzz may not be a good fit either.