Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure  (Read 14181 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure

The news that Vander Blue will enter the NBA draft is surprising. Personally, I thought Vander Blue needed another year to make himself a better NBA prospect. So did at least one NBA source I spoke to.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/203200151.html

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Initial thoughts on Vander Blue's departure
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
Of course he's not ready. Blue is getting horrible advice, but it's his life—and he now needs to deal with the consequences.

There was a time players didn't leave early unless they were guaranteed to be a top five pick...then it was a lottery pick...then it was a first round pick. Now, it's if there's a slight chance you might get picked at the end of the second round. Wow.

Good luck, Vander. You'll need it.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
Of course he's not ready. Blue is getting horrible advice, but it's his life—and he now needs to deal with the consequences.

There was a time players didn't leave early unless they were guaranteed to be a top five pick...then it was a lottery pick...then it was a first round pick. Now, it's if there's a slight chance you might get picked at the end of the second round. Wow.

Good luck, Vander. You'll need it.

Why so bitter?  You just sound like a butthurt fan. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »

Bitter???? Don't be silly. I have much more important things to worry about in my life. Sorry, but a 19-year old declaring for the NBA draft doesn't make the list.

I'm expressing my honest opinion. Last time I checked, that was the purpose of this board.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
I think he's older than 19... just saying.
Maigh Eo for Sam

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

I think the overarching concern is that vander blue won't get drafted.  I don't think anyone on the board is bitter, if he was a clear first rounder, or even 2nd rounder, most on this board would say great.  But he isn't even a clear 2nd rounder, and if you don't get drafted within the top 10 picks of the 2nd round, history has shown that an nba career is nearly impossible.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
I think the overarching concern is that vander blue won't get drafted.  I don't think anyone on the board is bitter, if he was a clear first rounder, or even 2nd rounder, most on this board would say great.  But he isn't even a clear 2nd rounder, and if you don't get drafted within the top 10 picks of the 2nd round, history has shown that an nba career is nearly impossible.

+100000

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
I think he's older than 19... just saying.

He is 20

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
+100000000   Yup. His hiring an agent is pure arrogance.  Test the waters?  Sure.

He is not ready.

Have fun in Turkey.  Maybe

# what did JB, WM, JC and DJO do?   # rude awakening upcoming
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
You have got to be kidding?

Look, I think Vander has shown he has matured as a college player considerably from two years ago. But playing at Marquette in the Big East is very different than playing for an NBA team. He's a young man about to enter the world of basketball beasts.

In short, if he goes through with this, I question whether he can make an NBA team -- even the Timberwolves or the Bobcats. He needs another year of tutulage under Buzz and a lot of work on his shooting.

If this is really it for Vander, we all wish him well, hope we're wrong and he develops into the next DWade! Scoop needs to update its banner to thank Vander too!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
+100000000   Yup. His hiring an agent is pure arrogance.  Test the waters?  Sure.

He is not ready.

You are the worst kind of fan. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
Updated article

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquettes-vander-blue-taking-his-shot-at-the-nba-eq9ivqr-203228131.html

As always, Hunt never fails.

Williams' best hope is that rising sophomore Todd Mayo, who was academically ineligible for the first semester last season, steps up his game. Mayo, the heir to Blue's shooting guard position, and point guard Derrick Anderson are Marquette's only experienced returning backcourt players. Together, they averaged about 6.5 points last season.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »

Williams' best hope is that rising sophomore Todd Mayo, who was academically ineligible for the first semester last season, steps up his game. Mayo, the heir to Blue's shooting guard position, and point guard Derrick Anderson are Marquette's only experienced returning backcourt players. Together, they averaged about 6.5 points last season.

Hopefully that Derrick Anderson cat has an outside shot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

A lot of those coming out in the past 12 hours, though many in lesser degrees.

As far as Derrick Anderson, his wiki page says he's one of the top 2% of players in the world at playing Starcraft
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
Yup. His hiring an agent is pure arrogance.  Test the waters?  Sure.

Test the waters? There is no more testing the waters. After 4/16, your either in or your out. Given that, why would he not hire an agent to help him? Have a thought.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »

If Van ends up in Germany then that would really be the wurst!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
Derrick Anderson????

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
If Van ends up in Germany then that would really be the wurst!

Awesome. Well done.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »

Not to mention that Todd Mayo is a current sophomore and a rising junior, not a rising sophomore.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

He is not ready.

Wow. If I didn't know better, I might almost think you are wishing him the worst; I might believe you are hoping he fails miserably to make your point.

But, that can't be true, can it? You wouldn't wish ill on someone from the Marquette community just because they opted, for better or worse, to pursue their dreams in a manner that doesn't fit your shoe horn? Or would you?

Oh, one last thing: You don't need to respond with the typical "I hope he proves me wrong," tag-line. I get it. Everyone needs a way out.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
I think in general it's a bad move to go early if you don't go in the first round.  While I understand that the NBA drafts on potential, it is less likely to do so for a 6-3 guy, especially one who has played three years of college ball.

After last season, I thought Vander to the NBA after this season was a pipe dream.  Now, it is a bit of a stretch, but not impossible.  I'm not sure how he is going to significantly improve his stock during workouts, though.  It's not like he going to start drilling 20 foot jumpers left and right.  I guess it boils down to whether or not his handle is what it needs to be to make one GM (and that is all he has to convince) think he has the potential to play the point.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Wow. If I didn't know better, I might almost think you are wishing him the worst; I might believe you are hoping he fails miserably to make your point.

But, that can't be true, can it? You wouldn't wish ill on someone from the Marquette community just because they opted, for better or worse, to pursue their dreams in a manner that doesn't fit your shoe horn? Or would you?

Oh, one last thing: You don't need to respond with the typical "I hope he proves me wrong," tag-line. I get it. Everyone needs a way out.

Settle the hell down. Many people outside this site are expressing the same opinion. He's simply not ready for the NBA. He's not crazy athletic...still has trouble finishing at the rim...and lacks a consistent outside shot. Does he possess one skill that's NBA ready? I don't think so...and I'm not alone. If he beats the odds, great for him. If he doesn't, he needs to live with the consequences. Simple as that.

Guess that makes me bitter and a hater. ::)

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
Settle the hell down. Many people outside this site are expressing the same opinion. He's simply not ready for the NBA. He's not crazy athletic...still has trouble finishing at the rim...and lacks a consistent outside shot. Does he possess one skill that's NBA ready? I don't think so...and I'm not alone. If he beats the odds, great for him. If he doesn't, he needs to live with the consequences. Simple as that.

Guess that makes me bitter and a hater. ::)

Do you not see the difference between:

"I don't think this is the right move for him."

and

"Have fun in Turkey. Maybe."

One is an opinion. The other is a selfish dick statement made out of malice.

We can argue the pro's and con's of his early entry all day long. There are good arguments both ways and ultimately, only time will reveal the answer as to whether the decision was right or wrong. However, you'll excuse me if I get annoyed when people bash the kid and make statements such as the one above just because he made a decision that doesn't fit their narrow world view. It is possible to disagree with his decision in a respectful manner, isn't it?

Thanks for the commentary though. I am much more "settled down" now. Can't remember when I called you, specifically, bitter or a hater, but I apologize for it nonetheless.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
If age = maturity, then McGary is a lock for the draft: turns 21 in two months.

We know the draft class is weak this year but what we don't know is what teams are planning on doing with their second round picks: some will draft nuggets (we hope Vander's one) but some with draft Euros and stash them away.

All I know is Vander better wow those scouts in scrimmages and workouts as well as the NBA combine.
With more high profile players declaring soon, it pushes his late first round prospects into the questionable, anything-goes second round.

And if he doesn't, MU's adding another one to Europe or the NBADL and Fleo's wondering what may have been if he stayed.
SS Marquette

feedback