'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Jim Boeheim rips Big East and media, but not Milwaukee  (Read 5684 times)

MJS_Says

Jim Boeheim rips Big East and media, but not Milwaukee

In what was probably Jim Boeheim's last Milwaukee appearance Monday night, he said about some good things about Milwaukee.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/193385971.html

LloydMooresLegs

Re: [MJS Blog] Jim Boeheim rips Big East and media, but not Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »
jag

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
I've always liked Jimmy. He's honest, and always tells it like it is.  I especially liked it this year when he called out Pretty boy Ricky during the BEast media day.

Reminds me of my role model, Clint Eastwood.

I know a lot of you guys don't feel the same way.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
I just posted this on another thread but maybe it was more appropriate here ...

Just now listened to Boeheim's postgame presser. What a douche. The questions he was asked were innocuous. In fact, Boeheim had talked a few days earlier about their big guy (who has been hurt) possibly playing. So, given what Gardner did to their skinny centers, not asking the coach after the game if that had been an option would have been a failure on the part of the Syracuse reporter.

Instead of giving a good, insightful answer -- or even just a throw-away cliche answer -- Boeheim chose to go after the reporter. Then about 5 minutes later, without even having been asked about it a second time, Boeheim went after the reporter again just to show he's the man in charge. That's what bullies and a-holes do.

One of the difficult parts of being the beat reporter in a college town that has no pro-sport presence at all is the coach is like the king. Except more powerful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
I've always liked Jimmy. He's honest, and always tells it like it is.  I especially liked it this year when he called out Pretty boy Ricky during the BEast media day.

I agree. Boeheim let's you know what he thinks and you know where he stands. Too many people manage the delivery rather than the message. You might not like his message but then he likely doesn't care. He is very rare in today's managed world. I don't really agree with what he says but I respect his willingness to say it.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

Because they're both old and prone to rambling at pieces of furniture?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

Can't stand the guy. The whiniest coach in America.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
I just posted this on another thread but maybe it was more appropriate here ...

Just now listened to Boeheim's postgame presser. What a douche. The questions he was asked were innocuous. In fact, Boeheim had talked a few days earlier about their big guy (who has been hurt) possibly playing. So, given what Gardner did to their skinny centers, not asking the coach after the game if that had been an option would have been a failure on the part of the Syracuse reporter.

Instead of giving a good, insightful answer -- or even just a throw-away cliche answer -- Boeheim chose to go after the reporter. Then about 5 minutes later, without even having been asked about it a second time, Boeheim went after the reporter again just to show he's the man in charge. That's what bullies and a-holes do.

One of the difficult parts of being the beat reporter in a college town that has no pro-sport presence at all is the coach is like the king. Except more powerful.

If you listen to the questions the vast majority are inane. Or are thin attempts to get him to trash this player or that ref.  I am a huge fan of a free and open press. I am not a fan of a lot of reporters and the gotcha bs that passes for journalism today.

It would be interesting to hear ecompt's take on this as he was Reedy trained and has followed Boeheim for 30+ years.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
I agree. Boeheim let's you know what he thinks and you know where he stands. Too many people manage the delivery rather than the message. You might not like his message but then he likely doesn't care. He is very rare in today's managed world. I don't really agree with what he says but I respect his willingness to say it.

Disagree 100 percent.
He uses his method of delivery in order to avoid having to come up with a message.
He's asked a legit question about his strategy (or lack thereof) for defending Davante Gardner last night. Rather than answer, i.e. the message, he attacks the person asking. Thus, the story of the day is Boeheim acting like a curmudgeon rather than his inability to come up with a strategy for Gardner.
His ripping of the media is nothing more than a diversion he uses to avoid being challenged. And it's classic appeal to authority crap.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
That reporter was an idiot and Jimmy will answer anybody's questions but his!

he always reminded me of that Judge from Night Court

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »
Disagree 100 percent.
He uses his method of delivery in order to avoid having to come up with a message.
He's asked a legit question about his strategy (or lack thereof) for defending Davante Gardner last night. Rather than answer, i.e. the message, he attacks the person asking. Thus, the story of the day is Boeheim acting like a curmudgeon rather than his inability to come up with a strategy for Gardner.
His ripping of the media is nothing more than a diversion he uses to avoid being challenged. And it's classic appeal to authority crap.

See. It worked. He is under no compulsion to have to come up with a message. An alternative could have been to simply praise Garner, say he had a helluva game, and leave it at that. He still would not have come up with a message. Think about it Pakuni. We are actually in agreement in effect but disagree on delivery.

Death on call

JD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »

Maybe he does whine a lot, i really haven't followed him during his whole tenure as a head coach.  I just like his non BS approach (if that's what you call it)

Sometimes Buzz gets under my skin by his long winded 20 minute story responses.  Don't pile on me because of that, i prefer people get to the point.

Buzz is my favorite coach by the way, nothing but respect for him.  (hence my picture)
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

JD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:56 PM »

Maybe he does whine a lot, i really haven't followed him during his whole tenure as a head coach.  I just like his non BS approach (if that's what you call it)

Sometimes Buzz gets under my skin by his long winded 20 minute story responses.  Don't pile on me because of that, i prefer people get to the point.

Buzz is my favorite coach by the way, nothing but respect for him.  (hence my picture)

AL

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Anyone have a link to his post game presser?

I cannot fault his Big East comment.  I The BE signed the TV deal two years ago at $17 million school (for football) none of this would have happened.  What is wrong with this statement?  Did Cuse or Pitt block the signing of this deal?

Regarding his ripping reporters, he was just burned by Katz and frankly who cares about reporters ... rip away.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

Remember when Syracuse was a bubble team and they were left out? Christ, the whining didn't stop until two tournaments later.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
I don't respect Boeheim. He's a douche and a hypocrite. He was against the ACC move from the start and spoke out against it until it was evident Syracuse was leaving, then all he could do was gush about how great it was. Complete jackass. Glad to be rid of him, and glad to send him to 3/4 losses the past few years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
Remember when Syracuse was a bubble team and they were left out? Christ, the whining didn't stop until two tournaments later.

ahhh, indeed.  Good point 3-5!

AL

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
If you listen to the questions the vast majority are inane. Or are thin attempts to get him to trash this player or that ref.  I am a huge fan of a free and open press. I am not a fan of a lot of reporters and the gotcha bs that passes for journalism today.

It would be interesting to hear ecompt's take on this as he was Reedy trained and has followed Boeheim for 30+ years.

I was also "Reedy trained." I was also in the business. And I also listened to the reporter's questions.

Were they the greatest questions ever asked? No ... probably in part because to be a beat reporter in a one-sport college town, you have to hedge and try to find subtle, backdoor ways to ask even simple, obvious questions lest you upset King Coach. The reporter certainly did not sound like he was trying to usurp the king's authority here. But the king took it as a personal affront and decided to go the bully route instead of answering the question.

Let's recap the scenario:

The opposing center, who came in averaging 12 pts and managed only 2 points each against Nova, Louisville and Georgetown, just rammed the ball down your team's throat to the tune of 26 points. You have a third-string center roughly the same size as the opposing center and you even had talked during the week about possibly using him in this game. But you didn't use him, you stuck with the two skinny centers, and the opposing center abused them for a career game, not missing a single shot.

So let me get this straight ... if you're the reporter covering that team, you don't ask the coach if he at least considered using the third-string center?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
Boeheim has always had a bit of an edge immediately after a loss.  He also knows that he is coming to the end of a distinguished career and has basically stopped caring what people think.  A lot of coaches get to this point eventually and can get surly in interviews at times - Jim Calhoun, Greg Popovich, Rick Adelman, Larry Brown.

I think he is genuinely frustrated that the Big East had such a good thing going and they got greedy and f'd it all up.  I respect that he is willing to say it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

How about his constant complaining about the Big East Tournament format.

When his team is a lower seed, too many games, too taxing.

When having the double-bye (and losing), unfair set-up, top teams sit too long, get rusty.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »
Just for the record, I haven't been talking about the Big East thing. I have been talking about the defending-Gardner thing. That's where BoeWhine went after the reporter not just once but a second time when the reporter hadn't even asked him about the situation. At least the Big East thing is a semi-controversial, semi-emotional issue. The Gardner thing was just basketball, a simple situation mentioned with a simple, innocuously asked question. And BoeWhine was a douche.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
I was also "Reedy trained." I was also in the business. And I also listened to the reporter's questions.

Were they the greatest questions ever asked? No ... probably in part because to be a beat reporter in a one-sport college town, you have to hedge and try to find subtle, backdoor ways to ask even simple, obvious questions lest you upset King Coach. The reporter certainly did not sound like he was trying to usurp the king's authority here. But the king took it as a personal affront and decided to go the bully route instead of answering the question.

Let's recap the scenario:

The opposing center, who came in averaging 12 pts and managed only 2 points each against Nova, Louisville and Georgetown, just rammed the ball down your team's throat to the tune of 26 points. You have a third-string center roughly the same size as the opposing center and you even had talked during the week about possibly using him in this game. But you didn't use him, you stuck with the two skinny centers, and the opposing center abused them for a career game, not missing a single shot.

So let me get this straight ... if you're the reporter covering that team, you don't ask the coach if he at least considered using the third-string center?

You can ask but what real insight can you expect. The whole thing could have been thus:

"Coach, Gardner put up 26 on you today. Comments?"

"Gardner had a heck of a game. Marquette got him the ball and he either put it in or he got to the line. Next question."

Not sure what insight one can really expect from Boeheim in the immediate aftermath of a road loss he really wanted.

No offense on my throwing it to ecompt. I wasn't aware you too were schooled under Dean Reedy. He was of the Old School. This nation has lost a great deal of its civility. One only has to read this board to see that.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
You can ask but what real insight can you expect. The whole thing could have been thus:

"Coach, Gardner put up 26 on you today. Comments?"

"Gardner had a heck of a game. Marquette got him the ball and he either put it in or he got to the line. Next question."

Not sure what insight one can really expect from Boeheim in the immediate aftermath of a road loss he really wanted.

No offense on my throwing it to ecompt. I wasn't aware you too were schooled under Dean Reedy. He was of the Old School. This nation has lost a great deal of its civility. One only has to read this board to see that.

I'm not offended at all, Mr. keefe. I just know that the question -- specifically about the beefy backup center -- was the obvious one to ask. I, too, would find ecompt's answer interesting.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
See. It worked. He is under no compulsion to have to come up with a message. An alternative could have been to simply praise Garner, say he had a helluva game, and leave it at that. He still would not have come up with a message. Think about it Pakuni. We are actually in agreement in effect but disagree on delivery.
So if the message is the same you would rather him be a total dick than avoid the question politely?

I'm too you for the Clint Eastwood, but I would view him as being straight forwar and harshly honest (like telling otule he sucks but they need a center), not come across as arrogant and using sarcasm to get a stupid point across.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
Wasn't Hunt's last article how JB has mellowed out over the years?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
How about his constant complaining about the Big East Tournament format.

When his team is a lower seed, too many games, too taxing.

When having the double-bye (and losing), unfair set-up, top teams sit too long, get rusty.

This. Pick a lane buddy. He'll probably be mad about the tie breaker rules this year.

feedback