* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:34:01 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I rewatched the Wisco game  (Read 1863 times)

larryt4

• Walk-On
I rewatched the Wisco game
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:38:51 AM »
A couple things have really stood out that I did not notice as much the first time.

1) Lazar needs to have better vision. There were numerous occasions where either he shot a three with mbao or maymon or someone else wide open near the hoop. Or where he was being doubled low and threw up a shot with wide open shooters on the perimeter. I know he is our leader and best scorer, but he needs to be a little more selective.

2) i really like the way mbao looked on D, especially the short time he was manned on leuer. I dont know why buzz went away from this (prolly cause he cant rebound well). I really hope the staff is developing some post moves offensively, cause he was left open a lot near the hoop. No one passed him the ball.

3) i didnt realize quite how much DJO is struggling defensively. I saw it mostly when his player did not have the ball, he looked confused and out of position a lot. Like he was running around trying to do what buzz wants him to do, but since its not second nature yet he was too slow or out of position. It really hurt out help D.

4) wow, do cubi and acker have trouble with on-ball defense. And with no big presence in the middle, this created way too many opportunities for wisco

5) jimmy needed to shoot more, djo needed to shoot more. they both needed to take their guys to the hoop more. a lot more.

6) It hurts us even more than we think having acker and cubi playing at the same time. Our offensive is based on three guards who can shoot and penetrate. This is why we were so good last year, we set high ball screens, and whichever of the three interchangeable guards have the ball could either shoot or drive. Butler does this very well, and DJO is improving. Having Cubi and Acker really limits this system, as neither are good at driving and creating. I think Blue, Smith, and Jones are perfect for this system. The future looks bright in this regard.

7) what was with hughes hair? some lines on the side, with a rat tail in the back? really weird. The dude with the fresh prince flat top was sweet though.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: I rewatched the Wisco game
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
what are you thinking?!?!?! how dare you write a post that doesn't include some sort of hatred towards Jeronne or Tim Maymon or Buzz's recruiting

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
now that's some good use of teal.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »
Regarding points #3 and #5:

Buzz said a couple weeks ago that Odom is thinking so much on defense it affects him. His offense is obviously a natural talent. No need to work on that end. So he's spent the majority of his time trying to figure out defensive assignments and you can see in the last few games he is almost "on edge" on that end of the court because he knows he is behind.

Regarding Odom shooting, this has bothered me back to the FSU game. He hits big, big shots in the first half. Buzz shows confidence in him to give him the ball with less then :30 seconds in first half to get a shot. Then, he disappears in the second half because we don't look for him in any special way.

I just think our team is so limited -- especially now with Maymon -- that we should simply ride the hot hand rather then look to involved everyone or look to get Hayward off the snide. I believe not getting Odom the looks to continue his hot shooting has been a main reason in our losses.

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
I only agree with you to a certain degree.  I think DJO was the hot hand in the first half because the rodent did not know what to expect of DJO.  I think the rodent D adjusted in the 2nd half, and bothered DJO with Butler out to a point where DJO disappeared.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:08:40 PM by Mike Deane »