[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Toughest regular season loss I can remember  (Read 1408 times)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Toughest regular season loss I can remember
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
Sadly Marquette has never done well after losing in such manner.

2002- Marquette loses to UC with a 4 point lead late
(MU follows UC game with a loss to ECU, A loss to UC in the C-USA tourney and a loss to Tulsa)

2003- No heartbreaking losses

2005- MU up by 10 against L-ville with 5 minutes, Amoroso makes boneheaded play and we lose game.  We end up losing next game to  TCU in Conference tourney and Lose to Western Michigan in NIT

2006-MU up 7 with 3 minutes left at #3 Villanova.  Marquette tanks the game and loses.   Marquette than loses to Georgetown in Big East Tourney, MU Upset by Alabama in tourney.

2007-Jerry Smith Derails Marquette right when everyone expected a #4 seed.  MU loses 2 of next 4 to Pitt in Big East Tourney and Michigan State

Can MU bounce back?????
Tough to say but history has not been to kind to us.

Am I being Negative yes of course because we just lost a game we had in the bag. 
In other news how why in gods name does Burke get tagged with a block on that last play?

But the worst call of the game was not 3 point call.  It was the play in OT before Wallace hit that Butch Style three pointer.

I believe A georgetown player missed a jump shot and when McNeal was going for the ball he was tackled from behind by a GT player, and somehow no call was made and somehow GT gets the ball back!!!!

How come this type of crazy bad stuff never happens to the Badgers!!!!

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Toughest regular season loss I can remember
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 07:38:41 PM »
'03 vs 'Ville....Gaines hits a 25 ft 3 with time running out on Valentine's Day at the BC to beat MU. Diener's three at the horn is no good.

MU's season ended up turning out well.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »
2007-Jerry Smith Derails Marquette right when everyone expected a #4 seed.  MU loses 2 of next 4 to Pitt in Big East Tourney and Michigan State

That would be Jerry F$$%^n Smith...That to me was worse than the GU loss.  

And the worst call of this game wasn't McNeal getting run over (although a call could certainly have been made there). It was the goaltend that didn't get called at 1:33 remaining in OT.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
In other news how why in gods name does Burke get tagged with a block on that last play?

But the worst call of the game was not 3 point call.  It was the play in OT before Wallace hit that Butch Style three pointer.

I believe A georgetown player missed a jump shot and when McNeal was going for the ball he was tackled from behind by a GT player, and somehow no call was made and somehow GT gets the ball back!!!!
James definitely fouled Wallace at the end of regulation.  He got him good on the left wrist/forearm.

Burke probably wasn't set when contact was made.  Should've been either a block or no call.  But Georgetown probably would've gotten the putback there anyway if no foul was called.

McNeal and the Georgetown player were both going for the ball and McNeal had already lost it going of bounds going when contact was made.  While the Georgetown player did run into McNeal, the play was already over and usually no call is made on a play like that.

The killer calls, IMO, was the FIRST foul on the three point shooter called on James.  It came well after release, they usually don't call that.  The goal tending call not made that would have tied it in OT was the biggest in terms of them flat out getting a call wrong.

But what really killed us was the friggin lucky banked three pointer to tie it with three minutes left in OT.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
I won't try to make sense of that post by Nate, but I have to say, I had 6-7 beers before during and after the game, and I have since had 1.5 Beefeater martinis, which usually calm me right down, but this loss is still bugging me. I said on the way in, that this game would separate the men from the boys and I think that is exactly what happened. MU is still a real good team, but in terms of the Big East, and now the NCAA tournament, they're men and we're boys. Doesn't mean we're bad, but this one is going to have a big impact on MU as far as the tournament goes. We have likely gone from having an opening game we should win, to an opening game we could win.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:12:27 PM by NavinRJohnson »

feedback