[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Have to say it...  (Read 6272 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Have to say it...
« on: March 01, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »
...but DJ's foul was a killer, absolute killer. Get him on the wrist while he's on the floor before he has a chance to put up a 3 and play it out. Absolutely never, ever, ever foul a guy shooting a 3. DJ did it twice today.

Free throw shooting killed us too, but DJ's foul at the end of regulation was the decider in this one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:01:04 PM by MUDish »

mviale

• All American
Re: Have to say it...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
win with him and lose with him.  Great game and could have gone either way. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
...but DJ's foul was a killer, absolute killer. Get him while he's on the floor before he has a chance and play it out. Absolutely never, ever, ever foul a guy shooting a 3. DJ did it twice today.

Free throw shooting killed us too, but DJ's foul at the end of regulation was the decider in this one.

That was big, but I think the desperation 3 pointer in overtime and the subsequent non-goaltending calls ultimately did us in.

They don't hit that three and we're up 3 with the ball then add the 2 points the refs didn't call on the goal tending...game over.

Oh well....total bummer.  I came home with 2.1 seconds left in regulation after my son's game to watch the end.  Depressing but we move on.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »
just be thankful you were able to watch the end..

first, cbs refuses to switch to the MU game because duke is finishing up a close game at nc state.

then that ends and we see the remaining 13 minutes or so of the first half.. and the 2nd.. then before the start of OT, cbs SWITCHES to texas/texas tech (and to other games for other areas).. just when I about have channelsurfing.net about to work, cbs switches back to catch 2 minutes left of the MU OT....

THEN.. with like 47 seconds left they switch BACK to texas tech?!?

THEN they switch back to MU for the final 8 seconds just cuz they want to shove the dagger in deeper.. ugh.. cannot stand cbs.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
Agree to a certain extent, but DJ's foul was soooo unnecessary.  He played the guy into the corner, the guy had to make an extremely difficult shot, and DJ gets cute and tries to knock the ball loose.  Whether or not it was a foul, it doesn't matter because you did your job with your feet already.  That was the game.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »
They completely outplayed Gtown and should have won the game.  Kind of like Syracuse giving it away against Pitt, although their's was a little more stunning with a big lead late.  Missed FTs and absent minded play by James allowed the game to even go OT.  James has had a good year and may have only been guilty of poor shot selection on occasion.  The bad judgement on D was a first.  He also threw it away at the end of OT.  

All that other crap about what happened in OT shouldn't have even happened.  9/10 times when a team pulls off a miracle to extend the game in OT you know who is going to win the game.  Who didn't have a bad feeling when the game went to OT?

Pardner

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
...but DJ's foul was a killer, absolute killer. Get him while he's on the floor before he has a chance and play it out. Absolutely never, ever, ever foul a guy shooting a 3. DJ did it twice today.

Three point lead...TC should have had them foul GU for the two FT's with 5 seconds left.  Deflection or not, the ref is going to call that foul on DJ at the end (and I think it was a deflection).  Not smart

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
The game was never interrupted in Milw after the NCSt-Duke game finished.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 04:02:51 PM »
If I were in milwaukee I would have been at the game one way or another and seen the whole thing and felt the kick in the nads myself.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
They completely outplayed Gtown and should have won the game.  Kind of like Syracuse giving it away against Pitt, although their's was a little more stunning with a big lead late.  Missed FTs and absent minded play by James allowed the game to even go OT.  James has had a good year and may have only been guilty of poor shot selection on occasion.  The bad judgement on D was a first.  He also threw it away at the end of OT. 

All that other crap about what happened in OT shouldn't have even happened.  9/10 times when a team pulls off a miracle to extend the game in OT you know who is going to win the game.  Who didn't have a bad feeling when the game went to OT?

I didn't have a bad feeling until the miracle 3 and then the goaltending missed call...then I knew were in trouble. 

romey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
Pardner - you say the ref is going to call the foul.  Not necessarily - we're on our floor - where's the "home cookin'?"  That's a no call all the way at home.  GU gets the"Duke-like" call.

Pardner

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
Pardner - you say the ref is going to call the foul.  Not necessarily - we're on our floor - where's the "home cookin'?"  That's a no call all the way at home.  GU gets the"Duke-like" call.

The "advantage rule"...the shooter flailed after DJ hit it (note: I said it was clean).  The ref isn't going to let that sit at the end of the game with MU up 3--he is going to make that call 9-10 in order to let the players decide the outcome.  He was looking right at it.  DJ should have fouled him for two.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
I didn't like DJ fouling on the Wallace 3 at the end of regulation. He should have contested by going straight up. (He has vert!)

But not to place the blame on one event, the fault was...

FREE THROWS!

There wouldn't be OT if we hit ONE MORE FT than we did in regulation!

If anything, the Burke MISS (after the dunk) was just as big!
SS Marquette

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
and why the hell didn't we foul at the end on a non shooter.  They make 2 we get the ball.  Game probably over.

15th and Kil

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
just another reason why I can't stand James.  The sooner he's outta here, the better.  LEAVE.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
You really want DJ to leave that badly?  Kind of like having Favre on your team - does a lot of great things, but when he misses, its a doozy.  (still smarting over that OT interception to the f**king giants).

Lets pick up the next 2 and make some noise in NYC.  Anybody going to be at the tourney?  I'm in NY that week and wondering how difficult is it to get tickets?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
just another reason why I can't stand James.  The sooner he's outta here, the better.  LEAVE.

are you insane? Do you watch are team when he doesn't play?  THe offence stalls.  We are a much better team next year with him.  

15th and Kil

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
You really want DJ to leave that badly?  Kind of like having Favre on your team - does a lot of great things, but when he misses, its a doozy.  (still smarting over that OT interception to the f**king giants).

I would never want Farve on my team, so in regards to your question, yes.  I want him to leave.  I hate how every outcome of a game is contingent upon whether or not James has a good game.  Real leaders can play consistently and NOT make dumb plays.  James suffers from a case of D-Wade syndrome, and all the hype that is generated around him does nothing except let everyone down who believes it. 

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

Did you watch the game on Monday?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

Do you actually watch the games?  We always play poorly whenever he sits!  You want to say he made a couple of bad plays in big spots today, you have a point, but without him we are struggling mightily to make the NCAAs.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

romey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
ok 15th and Kil - thanks for jumping and and dissing James after the loss- we've talked about this ad nauseum - where were you after his 25 point game this week?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Another guy with his first posts ever coming here with a loss.....not surprising.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
ok 15th and Kil - thanks for jumping and and dissing James after the loss- we've talked about this ad nauseum - where were you after his 25 point game this week?

I wasn't there with my nose shoved up his butt.

If you have been here before you'd know that plenty of people on this board have complained about his weaknesses.  That said, despite him we are a better team with him on the floor.

romey

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »

[/quote]

I would never want Farve on my team, so in regards to your question, yes.  I want him to leave. 
[/quote]
Whether you're a Packer fan or not - to make this statement is ludicrous.  I'm just curious, what is this team of yours that you would NEVER want Favre on?

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »
depression has hit campus...no one wants to talk about anything

15th and Kil

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

I would never want Farve on my team, so in regards to your question, yes.  I want him to leave. 
[/quote]
Whether you're a Packer fan or not - to make this statement is ludicrous.  I'm just curious, what is this team of yours that you would NEVER want Favre on?
[/quote]

Whether or not I'm a Packer fan?  So why do you need to know then?  And can you please stick to the topic?  I'm sure there's a forum somewhere for Packer fans to write on when they aren't out hunting.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »

If you have been here before you'd know that plenty of people on this board have complained about his weaknesses.  That said, despite him we are a better team with him on the floor.

Aw jesus, just because I don't have 198 posts MUST mean I've never looked at what's been posted on this forum, AND it must mean I know nothing about Marquette basketball!  Let me pretend I know everything about college basketball too, then I'll fit in with you dorks better.

If you think we'd be better off without our only High D-I quality point guard, then I would question your bball IQ.  You, of course, are entitled to your opinion regardless of how many posts you've made.  I never understood that criticism anyway.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

romey

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the stereotype genius.  I last hunted about 35 years ago when I was a kid.

15th and Kil

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »

Aw jesus, just because I don't have 198 posts MUST mean I've never looked at what's been posted on this forum, AND it must mean I know nothing about Marquette basketball!  Let me pretend I know everything about college basketball too, then I'll fit in with you dorks better.

If you think we'd be better off without our only High D-I quality point guard, then I would question your bball IQ.  You, of course, are entitled to your opinion regardless of how many posts you've made.  I never understood that criticism anyway.

I agree with the number of posts comment.  But I'd never said we'd be better off without James.  He's too inconsistent of a player, gets injured wayyyy too easily, and I think having James on the court as much as he has the past 3 years has really hindered other players' decision making ability because they have become too dependent upon James.  I don't think we'd be better, but I don't think we'd be much worse.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 05:00:14 PM by 15th and Kil »

romey

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »

This quote pretty much says you think we'd be better without him.  Then you backtrack and say we wouldn't be better, but we wouldn't be worse.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »

This quote pretty much says you think we'd be better without him.  Then you backtrack and say we wouldn't be better, but we wouldn't be worse.

exactly what i was talking about.  if you make statements like that people will bring them up.  If 15th had more posts he'd know that

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
J hope DJ stays.  He had a Monster last game and today he made some errors that the NBA staffers do not like to see.  Mental errors.  Significant mental errors. He really hurt himself with his position if he decides to explore the NBA waters again.  I hope he returns for his last year and enjoys his experiences, well not today's.   

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:36 AM »
just be thankful you were able to watch the end..

first, cbs refuses to switch to the MU game because duke is finishing up a close game at nc state.

then that ends and we see the remaining 13 minutes or so of the first half.. and the 2nd.. then before the start of OT, cbs SWITCHES to texas/texas tech (and to other games for other areas).. just when I about have channelsurfing.net about to work, cbs switches back to catch 2 minutes left of the MU OT....

THEN.. with like 47 seconds left they switch BACK to texas tech?!?

THEN they switch back to MU for the final 8 seconds just cuz they want to shove the dagger in deeper.. ugh.. cannot stand cbs.

I had a post about this.  Apparently, it affected other people in redneck states as well with the game being completely pre-empted.  If anyone knows how to tell the powers that be - I would suggest ESPN as the broadcaster for National Marquette day as they would be much more reliable for a nationwide audience.  However, I did drive to see the game with other alums for the first time and would definately recommend that as the first option.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 07:04:37 AM »

Three point lead...TC should have had them foul GU for the two FT's with 5 seconds left.  Deflection or not, the ref is going to call that foul on DJ at the end (and I think it was a deflection).  Not smart

I think the bigger fear from this strategy is that Georgetown would make the first, then intentionally miss the 2nd--and they had the height advantage to make this a real possiblitiy.   I'm not sure it's any smarter to intentionally put the Hoyas on the line.

feedback